Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Oct 2021 at 5:01 PM
Default Cannot Load Packed File
I've research this topic on the forum; however, no solution works for me. I was editing my world, placing lots, then I saved and it said save file failed. So I saved it again then CAW crashed. When I opened it back up and tried to open my world I got the ominous message "cannot load packed file". So I googled what to do and I found nothing that helped me. I wish I had a backup of my world but for some reason the game doesn't make backups for this world. IDK why but it just doesn't. I've tried removing the global layer and replacing it with a copy from the same world. I've done the same with all the layers. I've tried deleting cache files.. . etc etc I even tried opening the file in S3PE but its just blank. No files, no anything there. Is my world forever gone in the dust? Any help or ideas would be amazing. Especially on how to prevent crashes/this happening again.
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 10th Oct 2021 at 9:22 PM
Wen you say you edited your world, you did that how? Was it a previously saved CAW version? And you placed lots in CAW? Or in EIG?
Another question: Did you use CC?

Maybe as advice for the future, always save as (not just save). This way you will have plenty of backups. Especially if you "Save as [new version]" before actually editing anything. And then in the end again, of course.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 10th Oct 2021 at 10:27 PM
I was editing and placing lots in CAW and it was a previous saved CAW version. No I did not use CC.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 30th Oct 2021 at 4:18 PM
I still need help. I've tried making CAW large address aware but that does not help. I've tried making a new world using the premade world tutorial but that does not work. I've tried replacing the global layer, nothing. I've tried/made my CAW the same version as my game, nothing. I've tried everything and anything to no avail. If anyone can help me, please please PLEASE reply. I will add my broken world down below if I can ever figure out how to make mod the sims recognize my game type (anyone have any suggestions on uploading a .world file?).

Also, according to this article, I think I added too many lots. So how do I go about fixing that? Anyone have any solutions/suggestions on fixing my corrupted .world file?
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#5 Old 30th Oct 2021 at 5:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by BurntToaster
I got the ominous message "cannot load packed file"

This can usually be solved by importing the unpacked world resources- see this thread:
https://modthesims.info/showthread....593#post3572593
However, if your file crashed whilst saving it could be that there is more damage, but importing these may at least let you open it in CAW to see.
Top Secret Researcher
#6 Old 30th Oct 2021 at 7:24 PM
There are so many reasons why it could happen. If I understand correctly you can open the world in CAW but cannot save it?
Do you run the game and CAW as administrator?
I had trouble with worlds with very odd lot sizes. It seems that my CAW doesn't like very narrow, long lots, e.g. 4x64 - it keeps crashing if a world contains such lots.

I can have a look at the world and see if I can figure out what is wrong. Either upload it somewhere else and just link to that (here or per private message) or upload it to the thread here. Put the .world-file, the settings and the corresponding folder in one archive (zip or 7z) in order to do so. If you already made an export of the world, please include that too.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 30th Oct 2021 at 8:04 PM Last edited by BurntToaster : 30th Oct 2021 at 8:43 PM.
Norm I am not able to load the file in CAW. It says "Unable to load file. Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt." or "Cannot load packed file {0} in CAW." Then CAW crashes.
I do not have the settings file. Unfortunately I deleted that or something happened to it.

Simsample I've also done what is outlined in that thread three times and it still hasn't worked. I still get the ominous message.

Edit: My dummy self figured out how to upload the file. One of them is from the original crash aka when the crash happened and the other one is from when I was finally able to see in s3pe. A few things I should clarify. Yes this is forever fifties. Yes I am redoing that world and making it bigger cause I love it so much. Yes I do not want to restart over cause this world is so awesome. Yes I did retry/redo making the world file bigger by doing the method I previously posted about and that seemed not to work again so idk. (I did it painfully like 5 times I think or more?)

https://ufile.io/f/09s31
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#8 Old 30th Oct 2021 at 10:08 PM
Is this an unpacked world? So what I mean is, a Create-a-world project that hasn't been exported. Or is this a finished world that you have exported from CAW?
If it's unpacked then there should be Layers and Lots folders too.
Top Secret Researcher
#9 Old 31st Oct 2021 at 10:17 AM
From what I see, yes, those two files are broken beyond repair. If that is all you have left from your project I'm afraid you will have to start over.

Quote: Originally posted by BurntToaster
I've tried removing the global layer and replacing it with a copy from the same world. I've done the same with all the layers.

Where are these files now?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 31st Oct 2021 at 10:47 PM
Ok I have the settings, layers, and lots files added to the world files. What does a temp lot mean?
https://ufile.io/dd5uq1ge
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#11 Old 1st Nov 2021 at 1:38 AM
Some anomalies with the files you uploaded; there are two world files, one has no readable (by S3PE) data, and they have different filenames. The Lots and Layers folders should be contained in a folder with the same name as the worldname, but I don't know which is the correct name!
Anyway, I tried:
Importing the packed file resources and a new global layer to the larger world file
Importing the contents of the larger world file to a new world file
Removing the TEMP lots (I think those are lots that didn't import correctly in EIG)
Opening the larger world file with the layers and lots folders you supplied; I tried various tricks including renaming and splicing layers and all sorts of things, nothing worled
Forcing open in EIG
I can open the smaller world file in a hex editor and there is data present and the header is intact, but S3PE refuses to recognise it.

I'll try to think of something else to try, if anyone has any ideas please let us know!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 1st Nov 2021 at 10:43 PM
Thank you soooo much. Glad its not me who can't figure out what CAW did to my world.
Test Subject
#13 Old 30th Mar 2022 at 10:23 PM
This happens to me, too. Were you perhaps trying to edit in game? That's when it's happened to me most.
I don't know how to fix it, I just know the world is packed somehow for editing, and if it crashes, this isn't undone (CAW is really clumsy and clunky).
Other more knowledgeable in this thread, do you know what happens if you try the process for editing a packed world?