Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Oct 2022 at 1:04 AM
Help build Iovinis
I don't know if I'm in the right forum for this, but I have been working on this world by myself for a while now. I am nowhere near done and I think it's been a whole year. I just don't feel like building often enough because I am more of a player than a builder even though I am good at building. I want to finally release this world to the public and play in it myself in the near future, but I'm not making that possible at this rate. I will still build on my own, but I would appreciate some help. I know there are a lot of people in the sims community that love building so hit me up.

Iovinis is a large, big city world with a lot of places to live and places to visit. The city is grungiest and gets cleaner the further you get in both nicer and rural areas. There will be lots of details for beauty purposes, of course. I call it the city of lights and endless opportunities. The style of this world is very diverse because there isn't just one or a few kind of housing. There will be many apartments as well as housing, and even boat housing. Not only traditional, but modern, suburban, industrial, contemporary, townhouses, bachelor pads, etc. All essentials will be met and community lots that you see in any other worlds will be included, plus more.

I have ideas inspired from creators and things I never saw before. I want to build for sims to shop, eat, have fun, family time, places for children/toddlers, activities, and friends. I will use store content, cc, and mods for an amusement park, carnival, and other things. I thought about all of this because no matter what world I play in or download I am never fully satisfied. I always want to do something new and I get bored with sending my sims to the same places. I have tried out many amazing worlds that have came close, but I figure something is missing that I don't have the space to add. Maybe when everything is done you can play test with me.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 26th Oct 2022 at 2:07 AM
We need some photos please. And how large will this be? It has to be playable. Also, from my experience in my worlds, I tend to do too many community lots, so there is no activity in them. But there are a few mods I still need to try.

Looking forward to seeing what you are doing.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 26th Oct 2022 at 3:12 AM
Quote: Originally posted by daisylee
We need some photos please. And how large will this be? It has to be playable. Also, from my experience in my worlds, I tend to do too many community lots, so there is no activity in them. But there are a few mods I still need to try.

Looking forward to seeing what you are doing.

I have posted here before. The pictures might remind you.

See, that's what I'm afraid of (the size of my world being unplayable). I made my world huge so I can fit everything I want (I think the biggest map size is 2048x2048). I have a gaming computer, but I understand that may not be suitable for everyone.

What I mean by activities on community lots is coming up with creative ideas to use the hobbies, skills, and any other activity objects already in game with the addition of mods to whip up something fun sims can participate in while on the lot. Ex. the trampoline from Ambitions can be used to make a family friendly activity lot for sims to bounce around for fun. There are many ways I can use my imagination to make the lot look more than just a bunch of trampolines placed randomly. Think of your local trampoline park or jungle gym.

Don't mind some of the weird terrain paint. I am still working on it. Some pictures show unrendered objects and spawners.
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#4 Old 26th Oct 2022 at 8:09 PM
Huge worlds can be a problem. I prefer to do smaller ones and my Sims can travel between them with NRaas. Have my Sims have a reason to go somewhere else as different and can do different things there. And smaller worlds are far more likely to be completed. The vast majority of huge worlds started are never finished and the projects dropped for several possible reasons.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 26th Oct 2022 at 10:53 PM
Huge worlds can be a problem. I prefer to do smaller ones and my Sims can travel between them with NRaas. Have my Sims have a reason to go somewhere else as different and can do different things there. And smaller worlds are far more likely to be completed. The vast majority of huge worlds started are never finished and the projects dropped for several possible reasons.

I already knew starting a big world was very ambitious, but it provides the gameplay that I like. I may not finish this any time soon. Scraping is just not an option for me since I know I will regret it later. You won't even have to keep this world in your game. I just want some builders. Can you specify problems I will run into? If it's something I can deal with or will it be game breaking?
Mad Poster
#6 Old 27th Oct 2022 at 12:42 AM
What other worlds have you done? Your risk is that you may spend years on a project that cannot be played, perhaps by anyone, or few, and perhaps not even you. Odds are you will never complete it as I have seen this for now decades, and when folks say they want a huge world to include all, the projects are abandoned almost all the time. I think you will have to have it almost completed before any builders may join you, unless they make builds they want for their own worlds also.

People have tech problems, they get bored/burnt out, there are life changes. There are many reasons these projects usually never complete. As said, what else have you done? I seem to say this at MTS a lot, but IMO just put this aside perhaps, and work on a project that is more likely to come to a conclusion?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 27th Oct 2022 at 2:21 AM
What other worlds have you done? Your risk is that you may spend years on a project that cannot be played, perhaps by anyone, or few, and perhaps not even you. Odds are you will never complete it as I have seen this for now decades, and when folks say they want a huge world to include all, the projects are abandoned almost all the time. I think you will have to have it almost completed before any builders may join you, unless they make builds they want for their own worlds also.

People have tech problems, they get bored/burnt out, there are life changes. There are many reasons these projects usually never complete. As said, what else have you done? I seem to say this at MTS a lot, but IMO just put this aside perhaps, and work on a project that is more likely to come to a conclusion?

I have started worlds in the past that I never finished because I didn't like the look/theme. I like this world so far and it has been with me the longest. If for some reason this project doesn't conclude then I won't start another. Is it bad that I just want to find out? Don't feel the need to quit before I even try. I hope I'm not wasting my own time, well only one way to find out. I understand your concern though. The sims 3 is glitchy, 32bit application, and can only use up to 2gb of ram. I just want to see for myself if this will be possible or not on my rig.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 27th Oct 2022 at 3:48 AM
Quote: Originally posted by 17Masso
I have started worlds in the past that I never finished because I didn't like the look/theme. I like this world so far and it has been with me the longest. If for some reason this project doesn't conclude then I won't start another. Is it bad that I just want to find out? Don't feel the need to quit before I even try. I hope I'm not wasting my own time, well only one way to find out. I understand your concern though. The sims 3 is glitchy, 32bit application, and can only use up to 2gb of ram. I just want to see for myself if this will be possible or not on my rig.

Totally no need to quit/scrap, and it is totally normal to start worlds as you have done and think, nope, not what I want. I must have started at least 50 in past then thought, move one and try something else. There is nothing bad with playing in CAW. I love doing it. And if this does not work out, keep trying until you get what you want. CAW takes tons of patience. LOTs of it. A lot. But it is fun to see when something is completed. I have worlds on the exchange and have loved playing the ones I have done. That is what this is all about.

You probably will sense fairly soon if this is what you want and how much time and effort you are willing to dedicate to it? If yes, keep going. If no, try something else.
Scholar
#9 Old 27th Oct 2022 at 4:51 AM Last edited by lucy kemnitzer : 27th Oct 2022 at 8:16 PM. Reason: changed "lot" to "world" in one sentence
It's a pretty world! (your avbatar is lovely too)

For my urban world that's in planning stages I'm planning to use some deco buildings to fill in, give a more urban look, while not demanding a lot from the game. There's a lot of them available-converted from sims 4 by Around the Sims: https://aroundthesims3.com/objects/...wntown_61.shtml --those have the problem that the esthetics of most of them are not as fine-grained and detailed as what you're showing -- and some more at https://3simsworld4.tumblr.com/, which have the problem that they are not in Simlish, though most of them are otherwise lovely. There's one with a great front and a messed-up backside, but I forget which.

Something I do to have fewer lots to spread the Sims on and yet more different activity lots is to never have a lot dedicated to a rabbithole. I put every rabbithole on a lot with open activities. The bookstore might be on a lot with the library or the art museum, the stadium or the spa on a lot with the gymnasium or the public pool. The Fire Department can share a lot with City Hall, the Hospital can share a lot with the elixir store, the cemetery, or a park. To add more variety to the activities, you can use seasonal event markers on more than the festival lot. I used it in an art museum to change the exhibits through the year, for example, or you could use it in the library, or any of the bars or open cafes or a beach.

Lastly, if you're mostly making the World for yourself, you can fill in with other people's lots as placeholders (which you can modify). I've been using a lot of Flora2's lots (in the "Old LA," GTA & LA Noir series) in my "Palmas Fortunadas" (Lucky Palms world edited to be more like Twenty-Nine Palms than Palm Springs), and I plan on using some in the Coastal California world I'm sculpting in CAW right now.

Anyway I don't think you can possibly waste your time. It's enjoyable to contemplate, plan, build, and edit the world. So it's not time wasted, no matter what happens.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 27th Oct 2022 at 8:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lucy kemnitzer
To add more variety to the activities, you can use seasonal event markers on more than the festival lot. I used it in an art museum to change the exhibits through the year, for example, or you could use it in the library, or any of the bars or open cafes or a beach.

Anyway I don't think you can possibly waste your time. It's enjoyable to contemplate, plan, build, and edit the world. So it's not time wasted, no matter what happens.

I love that idea of using the seasonal markers elsewhere. I made 2 versions of a lot to swap in and out but that is FAR more genius to do. Thank you for that tip. I also put more than one RH on a lot quite often, and most of my worlds I use the rugs as want the look of my buildings. I have a lot now that has about 10 on one lot.

As for filling towns for show, I do a lot of houses with interiors not done or just a little. Nilxis is the master of doing whole city blocks that are often just a shell or use just some small part actually for play.

And I totally agree, this is all for fun. I have spent I cannot say how much time in CAW over the years simply as love to be there. Is that time wasted even when nothing comes of it? No way!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 27th Oct 2022 at 11:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lucy kemnitzer
It's a pretty world! (your avbatar is lovely too)

For my urban world that's in planning stages I'm planning to use some deco buildings to fill in, give a more urban look, while not demanding a lot from the game. There's a lot of them available-converted from sims 4 by Around the Sims: https://aroundthesims3.com/objects/...wntown_61.shtml --those have the problem that the esthetics of most of them are not as fine-grained and detailed as what you're showing -- and some more at https://3simsworld4.tumblr.com/, which have the problem that they are not in Simlish, though most of them are otherwise lovely. There's one with a great front and a messed-up backside, but I forget which.

Something I do to have fewer lots to spread the Sims on and yet more different activity lots is to never have a lot dedicated to a rabbithole. I put every rabbithole on a lot with open activities. The bookstore might be on a lot with the library or the art museum, the stadium or the spa on a lot with the gymnasium or the public pool. The Fire Department can share a lot with City Hall, the Hospital can share a lot with the elixir store, the cemetery, or a park. To add more variety to the activities, you can use seasonal event markers on more than the festival lot. I used it in an art museum to change the exhibits through the year, for example, or you could use it in the library, or any of the bars or open cafes or a beach.

Lastly, if you're mostly making the World for yourself, you can fill in with other people's lots as placeholders (which you can modify). I've been using a lot of Flora2's lots (in the "Old LA," GTA & LA Noir series) in my "Palmas Fortunadas" (Lucky Palms world edited to be more like Twenty-Nine Palms than Palm Springs), and I plan on using some in the Coastal California world I'm sculpting in CAW right now.

Thank you! I have lots of deco urban buildings and I am going to use seasonal lot markers. I already started with a shopping plaza that will pretty much look the same for every season, but be totally decorated for fall and winter. The church in the picture wasn't finished, but it is now. I used Zerbu's lot events marker from this post - https://modthesims.info/d/657354/ze...d-29-05-22.html. I like your idea of combining lots because that will definitely come in handy.
Mad Poster
#12 Old 28th Oct 2022 at 4:21 AM
One of the things I like is that I have started worlds and then thought MEH this is going nowhere. Built lots I liked so kept the lots and then used in another world. And I have even done lot planning in a new one specifically to accommodate those lots. So all is not for naught even when some worlds I started and then scrapped.