Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Jun 2020 at 8:37 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Is 17gb of Downloads the Sims 2 limit. I've been having crashing even after 50/50
My Sims 2 UC game has been crashing for about a week. I've been doing the fifty fifty method and have tracked down the problem to about 5 or so download files. Noticing that if I juggle and remove files within the game, I notice that the game will run perfectly with any of these identified files. Thus I can only assume that there Is no bugged individual file, instead that the game has a gb of about 17gb.

@HobbesED kindly informed me that there is something wrong with my system and Sims 2 can easily take a download of 20gb. I would like help to be able to achieve this.

My specs are as follows.
Sims 2 Ultimate Collection running under Origin
4GB Patch and Graphics Rule Maker Applied
Operating System: Windows 8.1 64-bit (6.3, Build 9600) (9600.winblue_ltsb.200411-0600)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
System Model: HP ENVY 17 Notebook PC
BIOS: F.70
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4710MQ CPU @ 2.50GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.5GHz
Memory: 12288MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 12220MB RAM
Page File: 8362MB used, 7249MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.03.9600.17415 64bit Unicode
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600
Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
Chip type: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
DAC type: Internal
Device Type: Full Device
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0416&SUBSYS_1968103C&REV_06
Display Memory: 1792 MB
Dedicated Memory: 0 MB
Shared Memory: 1792 MB
Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
Monitor Model: unknown
Monitor Id: LGD03FB
Native Mode: 1920 x 1080(p) (60.042Hz)
Output Type: Internal
Driver Name: igdumdim64.dll,igd10iumd64.dll,igd10iumd64.dll,igdumdim32,igd10iumd32,igd10iumd32
Driver File Version: 10.18.0010.3368 (English)
Driver Version: 10.18.10.3368
DDI Version: 11.1
Feature Levels: 11.1,11.0,10.1,10.0,9.3,9.2,9.1
Driver Model: WDDM 1.3
Graphics Preemption: DMA
Compute Preemption: Thread
Miracast: Supported
Hybrid Graphics GPU: Integrated
Power P-states: Not Supported
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 840M
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce 840M
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Type: Render-Only Device
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1341&SUBSYS_21A1103C&REV_A2
Display Memory: 4020 MB
Dedicated Memory: 1972 MB
Shared Memory: 2048 MB
Current Mode: n/a

I can provide further information if directed. Any kindness or attention would be gladly received.
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 5th Jun 2020 at 11:12 AM
17 Gigs of probably modern high poly, high res CC on a chip, Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 is stretching it. I would not say that could handle all of that easily.

Depending what the files are it may be a combination of files causing the crashing or you may just have reached your computer's limit and the crash may be when it's trying to pull more resources.

Now lower down I see a Nvidea card, which one is your game running on? Even that is only an entry-level gaming graphic card. If the game is running on your Nvidea card you could try making it take on more of the work and taking it off the game. https://celebkiriedhel.tumblr.com/tagged/NVidia

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#3 Old 5th Jun 2020 at 11:44 AM
In my experience, the only limits on CC are a) if you're using a Mac and b) objects. By which I mean files specifically containing Object Data (OBJD) resources. Hair? Fine. Walls? No problem! Clothes? Have as many as you want! But there does seem to be a limit on objects and once you hit it, your game crashes after a few minutes. It's a PAIN to diagnose because it could well be that there really is a piece of glitchy CC somewhere in your downloads, but I have hit the limit a couple of times, tested it by pulling folders of CC that have worked perfectly for years, and it does seem to be a real thing.
ETA: For context, my Downloads folder is 34GB. Admittedly some of that is because I bundled 180 hairs a couple of days ago and haven't compressed them yet. But 14GB of that is new stuff added since I last investigated the object limit. It's all hair and clothes and makeup and walls and recolours and it all works fine, but I just can't install any more objects without issues.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#4 Old 5th Jun 2020 at 12:08 PM
Great answers, thank you so much. Kinda of what I was thinking. I'm sure it's not glitchy CC, cause I've tested and retested for that. 34GB would be so nice, but one has to accept what's on one's plate. @joandsarah77 you're confirming exactly what I think. I got to track down and throw out high poly and put limits on my objects, start compressing my files, and try and see if I can get the damn Nivida card that I paid extra money for to do more work. Thanks for the link.

I'm just greedy. I got the game working beautifully, 17gb ain't bad, and I got so much good content, and I'm running at full screen resolution, with all the options turned on. I should be grateful for that. Thanks again for all the help.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#5 Old 5th Jun 2020 at 3:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Diovanlestat
Great answers, thank you so much. Kinda of what I was thinking. I'm sure it's not glitchy CC, cause I've tested and retested for that. 34GB would be so nice, but one has to accept what's on one's plate. @joandsarah77 you're confirming exactly what I think. I got to track down and throw out high poly and put limits on my objects, start compressing my files, and try and see if I can get the damn Nivida card that I paid extra money for to do more work. Thanks for the link.

I'm just greedy. I got the game working beautifully, 17gb ain't bad, and I got so much good content, and I'm running at full screen resolution, with all the options turned on. I should be grateful for that. Thanks again for all the help.

If you are up for some work you can take the large textures and resize them smaller. If you look at favourites in SimPE many defaults hairs for example, will be 1024 x 1024 and you can resize them to 512 x 512. I have not noticed any change in quality.

Before compressing make a backup just in case. Some people find things load slower rather than faster after compressing. I compressed and went from 14 to about 10.5. Only made about a minute shorter load time.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#6 Old 6th Jun 2020 at 5:29 AM
Textures? I've always had trouble with SimPE, but I can learn, this is a lifetime kind of hobby. Back up before compression. Will do. Thank you so much again. I'm actually excited to learn new things.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#7 Old 6th Jun 2020 at 6:15 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Diovanlestat
Textures? I've always had trouble with SimPE, but I can learn, this is a lifetime kind of hobby. Back up before compression. Will do. Thank you so much again. I'm actually excited to learn new things.

The texture the hair was recoloured with. Some creators are using very large ones.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#8 Old 15th Jun 2020 at 12:40 AM
Another object limit victim, nice to meet you! Please do report what happens when you get that RAM installed, it's one of the few things I can think of that I haven't been able to test (I did try taking a stick out and it still worked with what I had installed, but that still doesn't really rule it out) and I'm loathe to spend the money until someone can say for sure if it works.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 15th Jun 2020 at 11:28 AM
It was a 4GB stick, I have 8GB in total.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#10 Old 15th Jun 2020 at 12:16 PM
It isn't the game that is having issues, it's the modern CC that we are putting into it. 20,000 poly items and 1024 by 1024 texture sizes and things like enormous skylines, moving clouds and lit up buildings. If you remove all your cc you won't have any issues with the game.

~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
#11 Old 17th Jun 2020 at 1:44 AM
I think maybe this is the same problem I was having in this thread:
https://modthesims.info/m/showthrea...995#post5626995
Mad Poster
#12 Old 17th Jun 2020 at 12:57 PM
The problem, like I said, is that it's difficult to diagnose. If objects work in some combos but not all together, it could be as simple as a GUID conflict. Or it could be a badly made object. All you can really do is add objects slowly until it crashes, then try swapping the last thing added with something else. If EVERYTHING past that limit makes the game crash but works if you take out something totally random, yes, it would appear to be the object limit and as of right now, I don't know of any way around it. Although that hasn't stopped me from downloading new objects and hoarding them for when I do.
Test Subject
#13 Old 28th Jun 2020 at 1:13 PM
I hit the object maximum number for my computer years ago the first time. Since recolours arenĀ“t a problem I decide to delete similar objects with less options if I find something new I think I just have to add. And yes, more RAM helped to raise my personal maximum of objects my computer can take.
Mad Poster
#14 Old 28th Jun 2020 at 6:07 PM
Well! In that case then, I might have to wander along to the local scrapstore's tech department and see about getting myself a few new sticks of RAM! I'll be utterly thrilled if that does let me throw in more objects, I've got so many 4t2 conversions on standby!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#15 Old 28th Jun 2020 at 11:13 PM
Your computer specs correlate to what CC you can have definitely. To start with I had a crapy graphics card (long story it was a lemon that should not have been a lemon)That only let me have about 3 GB until I upgraded to my current NVIDEA. This is what I meant above when I said it isn't the game- it's the computer. (thanks for clicking unhelpful whoever you are, I am sure that added so much to the thread) Another thing that can help is Power Supply. I just upgraded to 1000Watt and you better believe I am adding in more CC. :D

~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
#16 Old 30th Jun 2020 at 2:27 PM
It depends on your specs. My Sims 2 downloads folder on my "gaming" laptop has about 19 GB of stuff and works just fine, it's just slower than Sims 3 to load initially. Maybe you should cut back a lot on your folder if the 50/50 method isn't working.
Mad Poster
#17 Old 4th Jul 2020 at 6:37 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 4th Jul 2020 at 6:52 PM.
Vehicles, and modded buy items such as most of the PC-sims items (I assume), and other new-mesh objects you'd find in buy mode or objects that need OBJDs to be accessible (like food) have object data. Mesh-files only, mind. Recolor files are fine (but will be useless without the meshfiles).

Bodyshapes (clothes), hair, clothes, accessories, or makeup don't have OBJDs, and don't count. I don't think neighborhood deco has it either. Not entirely sure about build items (case by case basis depending on type?). Recolors of maxis bedding are just regular recolors and won't have additional OBJDs. Recolors don't seem to count toward the limit, only new items with new OBJDs. Same with other recolors of objects, possibly with a few exceptions (seasons-based plant recolors? Not sure).

As an example - if the vehicles you have are recolors of the ingame vehicles, they wouldn't count toward the limit, but if they're new vehicles with new meshes, they would count.

I think custom careers and majors may have OBJDs, but I'm not sure.