Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Feb 2020 at 6:48 PM
Default There's leftover game files showing that Children could die from electrocution at one point..
This is interesting to me and I wonder if there's anymore leftover code/files that give more of an explanation as to how this scenario would happen. (Presumably children couldn't repair things so how could this happen?) But unlike other deaths selected with Rodney's Death Creator, Electrocution actually has a finished animation when done on a child - and with debug mode there's also the frizzed hair for children that appears when they would be shocked.

Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 12th Feb 2020 at 8:16 PM
...I'm sickened but VERY curious as to what this development means, coming from Wig Snatching Hood Maker Cutupuss
Mad Poster
#3 Old 12th Feb 2020 at 8:27 PM
Lightning?
Mad Poster
#4 Old 12th Feb 2020 at 11:03 PM
Children can already burn to death, so I'm not sure why this would be any different.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 13th Feb 2020 at 12:08 AM
Apparently there are problems with allowing children to die, rather than being taken away by the social worker: for example, according to Cyjon there aren't proper animations for child-age ghosts, which is why they are disabled in his ghost hack. I know babies and toddlers are actually completely fireproof.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 13th Feb 2020 at 12:49 AM
Quote: Originally posted by kestrellyn
according to Cyjon there aren't proper animations for child-age ghosts, which is why they are disabled in his ghost hack.

I think I actually saw something on Tumblr the other day that said it was a replacement for the child ghost animation. I didn't look too closely because it's not something I've ever needed. I've never had a child sim die (I've barely ever had any sims die), and I do have Cyjon's ghost hack.

But the other thing about electrocution is that it's not always or even often fatal. My sims get shocked from time to time and I think the worst they suffer is the loss of a skill point. Everything else is easily fixed with a nice shower, a meal, and a good sleep.
Scholar
#7 Old 13th Feb 2020 at 1:13 AM
Lightning?

I remember that lightning (or was it just rain?) was planned for the basegame at one point, so that's also my guess.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 13th Feb 2020 at 3:05 AM
Apparently there are problems with allowing children to die, rather than being taken away by the social worker: for example, according to Cyjon there aren't proper animations for child-age ghosts, which is why they are disabled in his ghost hack. I know babies and toddlers are actually completely fireproof.

As well, random Sims from the Default family (including NPCs like the Witch Doctor or Crumplebottom) will show up at curfew time to try to take them back home and end up getting stuck on the lot.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Mad Poster
#9 Old 13th Feb 2020 at 3:44 AM
Oh god, that's actually hilarious.
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 13th Feb 2020 at 5:44 AM
If you use The Flamingo of Doom, you can make any sim die in any number of ways.
Alchemist
#11 Old 13th Feb 2020 at 12:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Rosawyn
I think I actually saw something on Tumblr the other day that said it was a replacement for the child ghost animation. I didn't look too closely because it's not something I've ever needed. I've never had a child sim die (I've barely ever had any sims die), and I do have Cyjon's ghost hack.

But the other thing about electrocution is that it's not always or even often fatal. My sims get shocked from time to time and I think the worst they suffer is the loss of a skill point. Everything else is easily fixed with a nice shower, a meal, and a good sleep.
I made the child ghost animation fix and people can find it on my Tumblr. No link because I'm on my phone and it's too tedious to get it now. Maxis made a child ghost animation, but locomotion animations have to be made in a certain way, and that one wasn't, which is why it doesn't work.
Mad Poster
#12 Old 13th Feb 2020 at 3:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by omglo
I made the child ghost animation fix and people can find it on my Tumblr. No link because I'm on my phone and it's too tedious to get it now. Maxis made a child ghost animation, but locomotion animations have to be made in a certain way, and that one wasn't, which is why it doesn't work.

https://earlypleasantview.tumblr.co...-children-float for anyone else who wants to check it out

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Scholar
#13 Old 13th Feb 2020 at 3:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by omglo

Here it is, for anyone interested!
Field Researcher
#14 Old 13th Feb 2020 at 9:02 PM
I've had a child sim die by drowning unintentionally before. I had a family on vacation at Twikki on a vacation home lot with their child-age son. I didn't realize until it was too late, but I'd sent the kid to go swim in the ocean and he couldn't get back out for some reason and ended up drowning. Haven't ever had anyone drown while in the ocean before, so that was also new to me.
Mad Poster
#15 Old 13th Feb 2020 at 9:18 PM
Interesting. I wondered if drowning in the ocean was even possible.

I once had a dormie drown in the floor due to glitching after getting out of a pool and then starving to death (nouniprotect). The game was a bit confused about what kind of death it was because he started doing the starvation animation, threw an error and reset, then drowned.

Lab Assistant
#16 Old 13th Feb 2020 at 9:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Bulbizarre
I once had a dormie drown in the floor due to glitching after getting out of a pool and then starving to death (nouniprotect). The game was a bit confused about what kind of death it was because he started doing the starvation animation, threw an error and reset, then drowned.

Was this in a dorm lot? I'm just curious as to what would happen if there was a ghost on a dorm lot.
Scholar
#17 Old 13th Feb 2020 at 10:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by pinkdynamite
Was this in a dorm lot? I'm just curious as to what would happen if there was a ghost on a dorm lot.

I've had a ghost on a dorm lot before caused by the cow plant. This is many years ago and I'm trying to remember if it caused any problems. They definitely haunted the place.
Mad Poster
#18 Old 13th Feb 2020 at 10:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Modder
I've had a child sim die by drowning unintentionally before. I had a family on vacation at Twikki on a vacation home lot with their child-age son. I didn't realize until it was too late, but I'd sent the kid to go swim in the ocean and he couldn't get back out for some reason and ended up drowning. Haven't ever had anyone drown while in the ocean before, so that was also new to me.

What happens when a sim dies while on vacation? I suppose another active sim can put the urnstone in inventory and take it home, but what if you leave it there? Actually, can another active sim put the urnstone in inventory when you're on a hotel or com lot?
Mad Poster
#19 Old 13th Feb 2020 at 10:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by pinkdynamite

Yes, but I moved the grave right away.

Lab Assistant
#20 Old 13th Feb 2020 at 11:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Clashfan
I've had a ghost on a dorm lot before caused by the cow plant. This is many years ago and I'm trying to remember if it caused any problems. They definitely haunted the place.

The only uni death I've had was from the cow plant as well, but it was on the SS lot which isn't technically a dorm. I don't think it caused any problems though.
Alchemist
#21 Old 14th Feb 2020 at 12:47 AM
not sure about lightning. from my understanding, the animations for a lightning strike are different than for electrocution. so far none of my sims experienced a lighting strike.

I would guess certain robots/servos from Open For Business; more specifically, when they malfunction.
Theorist
#22 Old 14th Feb 2020 at 1:54 AM
They can also die by having the satelite fall on them. Happened to one of my Sim children a while back. Was also the first time that it happened to one of my Sims ever.

Ended up resurrecting her because of the child ghost problems. Nice to know there's fixes for that. Yay, child ghosts.

I wouldn't have minded that. Though I have yet to have Sim die by electrocution and I wonder in what situation Sim children would even be in that danger....where they able to repair objects at some point in development? Or was there some other way of getting electrocuted at one point? (no I'm not talking about lightning strikes)

Taking an extended break from Sims stuff. Might be around, might not.
Mad Poster
#23 Old 14th Feb 2020 at 3:42 AM
There's a stereo in the background of the picture, though it doesn't look like the child was attempting to repair it. If someone else doesn't get to it first I'll check allmenus next time I'm in-game and see if there's any interesting options on it.

EDIT: Unless cutupuss took the pictures themselves, in which case this point is moot.

Scholar
#24 Old 14th Feb 2020 at 4:07 AM
cutupuss mentioned that Rodney's Death Creator used a finished animation, so I think that's how they got it.
Mad Poster
#25 Old 14th Feb 2020 at 9:22 AM
Maybe child gets shocked too if stands in puddle and someone else fails repairing.
Page 1 of 2