Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Brainania University Subhood

by Mootilda Posted 16th Dec 2010 at 3:41 PM - Updated 19th Aug 2011 at 2:47 AM by Mootilda : Suggest backup before attaching university.

135 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 91 Feedback Posts, 43 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 4 of 6
Site Helper
Original Poster
#76 Old 13th Mar 2011 at 1:54 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Sacred Nym
I have issues with it. Stability issues. [...] I have EPs from the Base Game up to Seasons, no SPs. Do you have any idea why this is happening?
I have no reason to believe that this is a problem with Brainania. The object error seems to be in your custom major and seems likely to be a problem with your custom content.

Please follow the Game_Help:Game_Problemwiki FAQ to ensure that these problems are not caused by your custom content and that they occur only with Brainania and not with any other university.
Lab Assistant
#77 Old 13th Mar 2011 at 4:50 AM
I knew there was something I didn't clarify.

Firstly, this happens regardless what major I'm switching to, even the Maxis majors (In my log posted, I was switching to the Maxis Mathematics major). None of my default majors have been replaced either.

Secondly, this only happens in Brainania. It doesn't happen on any of the Maxis universities or custom ones.

Now, despite all that, I still decided to see if I could replicate the bugs in a CC-less game. Rather than take extra time to tear my game apart, I chose to make an AnyGame (Up2SSN, just like my main game) threw Majors Made Easier in (Note: No custom majors, or any other custom content to speak of), and took it for a test drive.

Garden Club Townie still showed up. Majors Made Easier still errors.

Then I decided to try removing and redownloading Brainania. So I did that and made a whole new AnyGame to test it on. Alas, I got the same result. All other universities still function normally.

Brainania is the only thing I've ever added or changed in my TS2 program files, and since only Brainania is affected, I have doubts that any other program files are the problem.

Though, I don't seem to be getting the Grade limit glitch anymore, either in my main game or the AnyGames. It appears to update properly now, I have no idea what fixed it though.

(Sorry if I sound bitter or cranky in this post. It's been a long day.)
Site Helper
Original Poster
#78 Old 13th Mar 2011 at 4:58 AM Last edited by Mootilda : 13th Mar 2011 at 6:09 AM.
The problems don't occur with all EPs up to Seasons. I can't reproduce the problems with no CC. No one else has reported these problems.

Please try without Majors Made Easier or any other CC at all.
Lab Assistant
#79 Old 13th Mar 2011 at 5:27 PM
Okay, I figured out that the Garden Club townie (and the gypsy actually) were forcibly spawning because they didn't exist in the neighborhood yet. If I let them spawn on a residential lot in the main hood, they won't bother me in Uni. That seems to solve that problem, though it's still weird.

AS for the problem with MME, well, obviously I can't test that without MME in the game, but now it's starting to throw errors in colleges other than Brainania, so I guess I was wrong before. I'm sorry for wasting your time.
Site Helper
Original Poster
#80 Old 13th Mar 2011 at 6:47 PM
You should report your problems in the Majors Made Easier download thread. I'm sure that the creator would like to know if there are problems.
Test Subject
#81 Old 18th Mar 2011 at 4:02 PM
I don't know what i've done but it doesn't work well in my game. The Lots doesn't show.
Site Helper
Original Poster
#82 Old 18th Mar 2011 at 4:17 PM
Someone else had a similar problem; take a look at this thread, starting with post #58, to see whether your problem is similar and whether the proposed solution works for you. Make sure that you backup your neighborhood before making any changes, just in case.
Test Subject
#83 Old 15th Apr 2011 at 1:10 AM
I've just had exactly the same problem. I've just installed the Sims 2, and expansions up to Open for Business with no SPs. The game works perfectly as far as I can tell. I've created a brand new neighbourhood ready to start playing properly and I wanted to add this campus to it, because as far as I can tell (and from what my friend has said) it's perfect. But when I add it, the lots just don't show.

I've followed your advice, deleting both university files in the neighbourhood page on my save game, and then I go into the game and add it again. It doesn't work. I even tried deleting the whole neighbourhood and making a new one. It still doesn't work. I then removed all my CC and loading Brainania - it still doesn't work. I've restarted my PC several times, closed every program I can think of and even disabled my antivirus software temporarily to try to fix this.

In an attempt to cope anyway, I asked my friend to package up all the important lots, ie the ones on the top of the hill. Unfortunately, when I tried to place them half of them wouldn't fit - for example, the central Wanganui Park doesn't go in anywhere at any rotation. Some of the other lots, like the Lecture Hall, only fit if put in at a completely different rotation. So I ended up with an incomplete version of the subhood.

The only thing I can think of that might interfere with the process is that my game is installed in the E: drive and My Documents is in C: as normal, because my C: drive is too full for the game to fit. Maybe when the lots are copied from one drive to another some information is lost for some reason?

I have SimPE, but I don't actually know how to use it. I would be happy to follow insturctions, but I imagine you don't really want to have to go through step by step what to do. However, if you can think of any quick fixes that would be nice. Otherwise, I'll find a guide for SimPE so that I know basically how to copy the files manually.

/end walloftext
Site Helper
Original Poster
#84 Old 15th Apr 2011 at 1:37 AM
I'm really sorry that you're having such problems. My game is also installed on one drive and my Documents folder is on a different drive, so I can't imagine that is the problem.

I honestly have no idea why this happens. We are using the standard in-game logic to add the university to the neighborhood and it is usually able to copy and renumber the lots. At this point, I'm stumped. I'd really like to see whether I can determine what the problem might be.

Which operating system are you using?

Would you mind zipping and attaching your entire neighborhood folder to this thread? Since you're using an empty primary neighborhood and the Brainania lots are not being copied correctly, it should be fairly small. If it's too big, upload it to one of the file sharing sites; I usually use http://www.megaupload.com, but any file sharing site would work.
Test Subject
#85 Old 16th Apr 2011 at 2:03 AM
I'm using Vista, and the neighbourhood is on Megaupload. Link is:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=35SM9FVH

Thanks for helping out.
Site Helper
Original Poster
#86 Old 16th Apr 2011 at 6:01 AM Last edited by Mootilda : 16th Apr 2011 at 8:42 PM.
It looks like you've given me the wrong neighborhood folder. I was expecting to see a brand new empty neighborhood with no lots, with Brainania attached in a way that none of the Brainania lots appeared in the Lots subfolder.

Instead, it looks like you've given me the one that you were experimenting with.

Would it be possible for you to give me the empty neighborhood with Brainania attached?

[Update:]

While I cannot do the research that I was hoping to do, because of the size of the neighborhood and the sheer number of lots, it does not look like you are having the same problem as the other person. Instead, you actually have lot packages for each of the Brainania lots in your Lots subfolder, but those lot packages have been truncated. In fact, it looks like you have multiple (4) copies of each truncated Brainania lot.

Please restore from your latest backup. If you don't have a backup from before you started trying to attach Brainania, then restore from the backup that you made before you first tried deleting the university subhood package and picture. We should be able to work with that copy.

Please check that you installed Brainania correctly. Specifically, check that all of the files have been extracted correctly, and especially that the lot packages have been copied into the MOOU\Lots subfolder in your Program Files folder. Ensure that the sizes of the files are correct; the only file which is 1 KB or less is the thumbnails package.

Do you have User Access Control (UAC) turned off? If not, you may need to turn it off to copy anything to your Program Files folder.
Test Subject
#87 Old 16th Apr 2011 at 10:15 PM
The neighbourhood I sent you had a few lots I installed from a friend of mine, sorry. It was also, as you said, the same neighbourhood in which I added and deleted Brainania multiple times to try and get it to work.

Since there wasn't anything important on it, though, I just deleted it and made another version. All I've done is given it the Brainania campus, and the same happened. I also turned off UAC and restarted my computer first. As far as I can tell there was nothing to stop the files copying. But looking at the neighbourhood's lots folder, it seems to have all of the lots for Brainania - but they're all 485 bytes when I mouse over them. The installed university file has everything with about 300-400 KB mostly.

I copied the files manually into my neighbourhood (renaming them to have the neighbourhood prefix instead of the MOOU prefix), and it works fine now. If you want, I can upload the neighbourhood for you now, but after doing that I've also linked the downtown and suburb subhoods, so it's probably a bit big now.

Thanks for the help, and can I just say that this campus is amazing! It looks amazing from the description and screenshots, but actually playing it in the game is even better.

Thanks for making this!
Site Helper
Original Poster
#88 Old 17th Apr 2011 at 5:09 PM
I'm glad that you got it working. Copying the lots to your neighborhood and changing the prefix will not work in general. You were lucky that the lot numbers didn't change when you installed Brainania. Usually, installing a subhood changes all of the lot numbers.

The more general solution is to compare the Lot Descriptions in the two neighborhood packages (MooU and your attached Brainania University package) using SimPE. The instance of the Lot Description is the number which appears in the lot package file name (<prefix>_Lot###.package). So, you need to rename each Brainania lot to match the file name of the corresponding lot in your attached subhood.

Your existing neighborhood won't tell me what I need to know, since you've copied over all of the truncated Brainania lots. Thanks for the offer, though.
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#89 Old 15th May 2011 at 7:51 AM
thanks!
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#90 Old 15th May 2011 at 7:51 AM
thanks!
Mad Poster
#91 Old 21st May 2011 at 2:26 PM
Site Helper
Original Poster
#92 Old 21st May 2011 at 4:33 PM
The link is in the main post.
Mad Poster
#93 Old 14th Jul 2011 at 6:21 PM Last edited by Darby : 17th Jul 2011 at 8:55 PM.
Mootilda, thank you so much for this awesome Uni 'hood. I absolutely love it!

I'm having a bit of an issue, though. I installed Brainania in a fresh custom 'hood and started a single CAS YA. I removed nodormieregen so dormies would generate automatically, and that went fine. Problem is that when I take my sim to a community lot, there's often a dormie (sometimes two, even) that's doubled.

I note no other posts of anyone having this issue, so it's probably something in my copious (but generally well-behaved) hacks, but I am wondering also if the lots that have two pay phones might not be spawning two of the same dormie, as if one is entering at one pay phone, while the other is being generated at the other pay phone at the same time. Is that possible? And if so, might it simply be coincidence due to there not being enough dormies in the 'hood to select as community lot visitors?

Perhaps I should force create more dormies? Regardless, is it a very bad thing for these dormie duplicates to be present together?

I intend to test this without my hacks in, of course, but I'm on vacation and away from my game for a few days. I should probably have waited to post, but I'm having Sims withdrawal, and couldn't resist doing SOMETHING Sims-related.

ETA: *sigh* Will not be able to test for awhile. Came home from vacation to find my computer non-functional.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#94 Old 19th Jul 2011 at 10:12 PM
Thanks! 5 Stars! ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#95 Old 18th Aug 2011 at 11:57 AM
oh wow, lovely island. thank you !
Mad Poster
THANKS POST
#96 Old 23rd Aug 2011 at 5:24 PM
New computer up and running, and Brainania is doing just fine. I do think having duplicate dormies on community lots was a function of not having enough dormies. In a fresh copy of the campus, I generated about 30 dormies (not sure how few I had before, but maybe as few as half that). Still had a couple instances of duplicate dormies, but far fewer than before.

Thanks, again, for creating this Uni, Mootilda!
Test Subject
#97 Old 22nd Sep 2011 at 9:55 PM
Awesome Uni! Moo... Is there ANY chance you have this as a neighborhood instead of a sub-hood??? We decided to make a desert island hood with no sub hoods & We want to use this hood (as it is the best island we've seen) We are doing a clean install on new profile with different hacks than our main game... thanks so much.
Site Helper
Original Poster
#98 Old 22nd Sep 2011 at 11:51 PM
I believe that there is a problem with aging when you move lots between a normal neighborhood and a university neighborhood. The residential lots may have the wrong kind of hidden controllers.

The dorms wouldn't make as much sense in a primary neighborhood and the secret society should probably be changed to a standard residence.

If you want to try it anyway, it's a fairly simple change to the neighborhood package. I could make the change and share just that package. You would replace the existing neighborhood package with the new version.

I would suggest that you test the neighborhood before you use it for sims that you care about. Especially, test whether aging is working correctly.

Are you still interested?
Test Subject
#99 Old 23rd Sep 2011 at 12:24 AM Last edited by WrathOfTheJenati : 23rd Sep 2011 at 1:53 AM.
Thanks Moo. It's much appreciated. I love the lots and will probably use this for a University in our main game.
Yes...BUT for our deserted island idea we only need the map(As a neighborhood instead of a sub-hood) without ANY lots on it as this will be a story that starts with a plane crash on an undiscovered island.
(Think Swiss family Robinson/Gilligans Island type scenario) with the survivors left to build up a way to survive. (very primitive buildings & survival)
execpt for the occasional "crates" that wash up on shore with surprises.
we love the terrain and layout, Especially the limited # of roads
(which will be turned into dirt for added realism)
And the separation of the high/low lands(for when the survivors split into factions)
Thanx Again Moo.
Site Helper
Original Poster
#100 Old 23rd Sep 2011 at 2:05 AM
If you just want an empty neighborhood, there are two alternatives in posts #36 and #42:
http://www.modthesims.info/download...976#post3396976
http://www.modthesims.info/download...305#post3398305
Page 4 of 6