Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Rabid Recoloring Renegade
retired moderator
Original Poster
#151 Old 17th Nov 2021 at 3:17 AM Last edited by Simmiller : 26th Nov 2021 at 1:02 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Jokr1929
Hello,
I'm wondering if there's a way to get the career outfits in so that others can download the career with specific outfits chosen? Since I can see the two options posted are for later modification and I'm not advanced enough to understand if that means I can in some way put it in the download file?
Thanks in advance

As of right now, I don't believe that's possible. That would definitely have to come from a coding expert, which I am not lol. Perhaps one day someone like Neia or Zerbu will figure it out. In the meantime, you can link the career outfit mods in your uploads to help make it easier for people who download your careers, if you like. It's something we all wish were possible, believe me! Great question! :D
Advertisement
Test Subject
#152 Old 25th Nov 2021 at 10:38 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Simmiller
As of right now, I don't believe that's possible. That would definitely have to come from a coding expert, which I am not lol. Perhaps one day someone like Neia or Zerbu will figure it out. In the meantime, you can link the career outfit mods in your uploads to help make it easier for people who download your careers, if you like. It's something we all wish were possible, believe me! Great question! ????

Thank you for the answer! That's a great idea, I'll probably do that! (^_^) And yeah I really hope it'll be possible eventually!!
Test Subject
#153 Old 18th Jan 2022 at 6:35 PM
Is there a way to reset password? I have been really busy and unable to go on the site, and don’t remember what my password was.
retired moderator
Original Poster
#154 Old 18th Jan 2022 at 8:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by itsmandyxoxo
Is there a way to reset password? I have been really busy and unable to go on the site, and don’t remember what my password was.

Sorry, this is just a tutorial for creating a career. You would want to direct your question to Neia either on here (MTS) or her thread linked on the Create-a-Career tool website
Test Subject
#155 Old 15th Feb 2022 at 5:34 PM Last edited by Tinytean : 16th Feb 2022 at 7:50 PM. Reason: English is hard =P
Hello! Thank you to Neia for the amazing website/tool for creating new Careers and Thank You Simmiller for the great guide!
Ive been able to follow the guide and fill out all the sections (im pretty sure) on Neia's tool and gone through the process of building the package and ts4script files. I have certainly encountered errors initially but after a few revisions I was able to complete the process with no hiccups.

At this point I've been able to bring it into the game to test. Unfortunately whenever I take a Sim to the Find a Career menu to select my new career. It shows the Icon and track picture, as well as the schedule and payrate ect. What it does NOT do is display a name for the career or any description at all.

I had filled out the (Edit) section on all tracks and ranks themselves after creating them and filling out their sub menus. I have also filled out the english text file area in the EN link as well as confirmed proper skill objective progression requirements per rank.

I've tried 4 times now to make changes to the text fields, removing special characters and shortening to see if it's a script escape character or some character limit, but with no luck so far.

Anyone encountered a similar issue? I saw the steps for 12b but that seems to be a separate issue. Any help or insights are greatly appreciated! =D

Edit: Looks like this is an issue other folks have had after digging more into the 12b steps and some of the posts here. I tried using the search function on here but didnt get any results, but manually searching seems to have given some results. Ill dig around and see if I can use some of these methods to fix this. Since I'm brand new to this I do not have a previous career file that did have working dialogue to copy from in example 3 of your 12b steps.

I've downloaded Sims4Studio and have gotten the package open and dug into the files a bit. I found the English Strings table with all the dialogue that appears to be in the right spots as far as I can tell... Ive tried to compare some of the unique IDs back to some of the other entries in the package but this is a bit confusing... Sims4Studio tutorials also dont seem to have anything on Career editing that I could find... I'm currently digging through some older threads on that forum but if anyone knows if there is an easier way to complete Example 2 of Step 12b I would appreciate it if it isnt too much trouble.

Final Edit: I found the issue. During the original process of putting together the Career in Neia's Create-a-Career Tool I hit a bug at one point. I was uploading Art assets to the Main Track that didn't quite fit the requirements and it caused an issues where many duplicated versions of the Main Track were created as Branch Tracks. When I tried to Refresh the page and see if they vanished the dupes persisted, even on a save/back-out of editing and then re-entering editing the career they still existed. I attempted to delete one of the dupes and they all vanished, including the original Main Track, which prompted one of the two original Track Branches to become to the new "Main Branch" but in the backend that track still had the old reference keys (I dunno, something like that anyways I suspect) which caused the descriptions to not populate to the right fields or at all in some cases. This was corrected by creating a fresh Career and copy/pasting over all the data with minor changes so no duplicate Track issues. Works flawlessly in-game now. I hope this information is useful to someone! =)
retired moderator
Original Poster
#156 Old 27th Feb 2022 at 2:37 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Tinytean
Hello! Thank you to Neia for the amazing website/tool for creating new Careers and Thank You Simmiller for the great guide!
Ive been able to follow the guide and fill out all the sections (im pretty sure) on Neia's tool and gone through the process of building the package and ts4script files. I have certainly encountered errors initially but after a few revisions I was able to complete the process with no hiccups.

At this point I've been able to bring it into the game to test. Unfortunately whenever I take a Sim to the Find a Career menu to select my new career. It shows the Icon and track picture, as well as the schedule and payrate ect. What it does NOT do is display a name for the career or any description at all.

I had filled out the (Edit) section on all tracks and ranks themselves after creating them and filling out their sub menus. I have also filled out the english text file area in the EN link as well as confirmed proper skill objective progression requirements per rank.

I've tried 4 times now to make changes to the text fields, removing special characters and shortening to see if it's a script escape character or some character limit, but with no luck so far.

Anyone encountered a similar issue? I saw the steps for 12b but that seems to be a separate issue. Any help or insights are greatly appreciated! =D

Edit: Looks like this is an issue other folks have had after digging more into the 12b steps and some of the posts here. I tried using the search function on here but didnt get any results, but manually searching seems to have given some results. Ill dig around and see if I can use some of these methods to fix this. Since I'm brand new to this I do not have a previous career file that did have working dialogue to copy from in example 3 of your 12b steps.

I've downloaded Sims4Studio and have gotten the package open and dug into the files a bit. I found the English Strings table with all the dialogue that appears to be in the right spots as far as I can tell... Ive tried to compare some of the unique IDs back to some of the other entries in the package but this is a bit confusing... Sims4Studio tutorials also dont seem to have anything on Career editing that I could find... I'm currently digging through some older threads on that forum but if anyone knows if there is an easier way to complete Example 2 of Step 12b I would appreciate it if it isnt too much trouble.

Final Edit: I found the issue. During the original process of putting together the Career in Neia's Create-a-Career Tool I hit a bug at one point. I was uploading Art assets to the Main Track that didn't quite fit the requirements and it caused an issues where many duplicated versions of the Main Track were created as Branch Tracks. When I tried to Refresh the page and see if they vanished the dupes persisted, even on a save/back-out of editing and then re-entering editing the career they still existed. I attempted to delete one of the dupes and they all vanished, including the original Main Track, which prompted one of the two original Track Branches to become to the new "Main Branch" but in the backend that track still had the old reference keys (I dunno, something like that anyways I suspect) which caused the descriptions to not populate to the right fields or at all in some cases. This was corrected by creating a fresh Career and copy/pasting over all the data with minor changes so no duplicate Track issues. Works flawlessly in-game now. I hope this information is useful to someone! =)

That's excellent! Yes, careers are very picky, and I'm surprised we haven't hit more snags with all the updates. I'm very glad you were able to work through it! Sometimes, it's just one teeny tiny thing that makes glitches happen. Careers are a painstaking process, whether using Neia's online tool or Zerbu's Mod Constructor. Perseverance wins the race!
Test Subject
#157 Old 26th Apr 2022 at 12:30 AM
Hello, for some reason whenever I exit out of a level and then go back in, the starting hours section is at 127 even if I type the correct time in military format. I can fixi it, but when I exit and go back its back at 127. Any reason?
retired moderator
Original Poster
#158 Old 26th Apr 2022 at 12:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by GrimPuppet
Hello, for some reason whenever I exit out of a level and then go back in, the starting hours section is at 127 even if I type the correct time in military format. I can fixi it, but when I exit and go back its back at 127. Any reason?

This sounds like a question for Neia and you can find her on MTS or on the tool's website. I will ask, though, how many numbers are you using for the time? There should only be 2 numbers. For example, careers can only start on the hour, such as 09, 14 (for 2pm), etc. They can't start at 0930. I have never seen and issue like yours, though, so it makes me think there might be a technical issue which is where Neia comes in.
I would take a couple of screenshots to show her what is happening.

I hope you're able to get it fixed!
Test Subject
#159 Old 27th Apr 2022 at 2:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Simmiller
This sounds like a question for Neia and you can find her on MTS or on the tool's website. I will ask, though, how many numbers are you using for the time? There should only be 2 numbers. For example, careers can only start on the hour, such as 09, 14 (for 2pm), etc. They can't start at 0930. I have never seen and issue like yours, though, so it makes me think there might be a technical issue which is where Neia comes in.
I would take a couple of screenshots to show her what is happening.

I hope you're able to get it fixed!

Hi! So, embarrassing, but that was the problem. I was putting it in full military time (1900) and that messed it up, I guess. Everything's working now! Thanks
retired moderator
Original Poster
#160 Old 27th Apr 2022 at 7:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by GrimPuppet
Hi! So, embarrassing, but that was the problem. I was putting it in full military time (1900) and that messed it up, I guess. Everything's working now! Thanks

Glad to hear it! We've all been there believe me :D
Criminal Mastermind
retired moderator
#161 Old 28th Apr 2022 at 9:32 PM
Do we have a tutorial to quickly update our existing careers without going through the entire process as outlined in the tutorial? I was asked recently to update my Fedup Express career yesterday, and I've come back from my long illness to give this another go at updating what I got for Sims 4. I'm grateful you still have this tutorial up.

Edited:

Looks like the site broke for me. I'll figure out another way to get my career updated.
retired moderator
Original Poster
#162 Old 29th Apr 2022 at 12:48 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Chaavik
Do we have a tutorial to quickly update our existing careers without going through the entire process as outlined in the tutorial? I was asked recently to update my Fedup Express career yesterday, and I've come back from my long illness to give this another go at updating what I got for Sims 4. I'm grateful you still have this tutorial up.

Edited:

Looks like the site broke for me. I'll figure out another way to get my career updated.

All you should have to do is re-export them on the Create-a-Career tool, because the tool is usually kept up to date. However, there is a little blurb as well if doing so removes the text from the career, at step 12b. Let me know if you need more info
Criminal Mastermind
retired moderator
#163 Old 29th Apr 2022 at 2:57 AM
There is no option for me to re-export because the tool is broken for me using Chrome and Microsoft Edge. When I clicked on Edit next to Main Track, the link took me to a blank page.

Edited:
Apparently I had an old account there that I haven't used in years. Let me see if this works.
Test Subject
#164 Old 31st May 2022 at 3:24 AM
Is there anyway to create a career using the "Snowboarding" skill as an objective? I don't see it on the list of preset objectives,
retired moderator
Original Poster
#165 Old 31st May 2022 at 3:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by shani92
Is there anyway to create a career using the "Snowboarding" skill as an objective? I don't see it on the list of preset objectives,

If you don't see it, then you can ask Neia to integrate that skill HERE. I recommend you do so, because then perhaps Neia will get it in there for you and others in the future, as snowboarding skill is not found as an objective

I haven't been there to check, but Zerbu's Mod Constructor might be more beneficial in creating your career instead, if you know how to code.

For anyone who wants to know how to change a skill objective without going back into the CAC online tool, and just in S4S, see the following:

You create and export your career from the Create-a-Career online tool, then continue on with all the steps in the tutorial. Make sure to add in the number of skill objectives you want, even if they're the wrong skill, as this will set a placement tag in the correct spot within the files you will alter. If you know how to code XML, you can just add in the ones you want in the right place without adding in dummy skill objectives.

Once your career .package has been created (and please do follow the steps or things will go wonky lol), then you can go into the files using Sims 4 Studio.

The files you're looking to alter are the Aspiration Tuning files. If you click on Type at the top of the file type column then they'll sort alphabetically and it will be much easier to locate the files. So, click on the appropriate Aspiration tuning file (if there are multiple, do this for each one), you'll see something like image 1.

NOTE: If you don't know which tuning number to change in your Aspiration Tuning, you can put the number already in your file into the search bar of the Extract Tuning tool mentioned below and it will show you what it is. Some numbers have multiple tuning options, so look for the objective/objective_skill files. Image 2 shows this process.

Clicking on the appropriate Aspiration Tuning file in S4S, on the right side under XML, you will see the numbers that correspond to the skill(s) objective(s) required. Open the extract tuning Tool located under Tools in the S4S menu along the top. Type objective/objective_skill in the search bar and all the skill objectives will come up.

Locate the new skill objective you want, and click Add to current package at the bottom. Go back and look at Sims 4 Studio. The 2 added files will be at the bottom and will give you the tuning number related to that skill objective. To find it, look at the Objective Tuning file, scroll all the way to the right, at the very top, and the tuning number you need will show. Image 3 shows this. Replace the skill objective tuning number in the Aspiration Tuning file with the new one. You can now delete the 2 added files, Objective Tuning and the corresponding Sim Data. They are only extracted to give you the Skill objective tuning number you need.

It is not recommended to X out of the Extract Tuning tool until you have all the objectives that you want. Otherwise you will have to keep opening it up for every skill objective you want to change. I usually hit the minimize - on the tool so it hides in the task bar. The Extract Tuning tool tends to remain on top of S4S, blocking your view.

Once you have changed all the tuning you need, save the package, and test it out in game.

Remember, this will only work for skills that show as objectives in Sims 4 Studio, and Snowboarding and Skiing are not showing there, either. It's entirely possible that someone else knows how to add this coding, and I'm sure it's possible, I just don't really know how to do that. There could be a Bakie Gaming tutorial somewhere, or one by another creator out there somewhere as well.

The only negative thing about this process is when you need to update your career(s), you need to re-export them from the CAC online tool, and will not have the correct tuning. So, you will need to go in and repeat the process every time an update is required. In this case, I recommend creating a Notepad document with all the pertinent tuning files and their names.
Screenshots
Test Subject
#166 Old 10th Jun 2022 at 4:18 AM
Thank you!!!!!!!! I've been playing with mods for over a decade but had absolutely no idea how to create them. Using your tutorial I finally created my first piece of custom content! It's not perfect... I made a four track career, and none of the text for three of the careers showed up in-game, but the pay and skill requirements were correct. The fourth track had no pay or skill requirements, but the text was there. I have no idea what I did wrong but I'll figure it out eventually. I'm excited to share it when it's ready, and it will all be thanks to your help!
Test Subject
#167 Old 10th Jun 2022 at 4:21 AM
Thank you, your comment was so helpful! That's exactly the problem I just had when I exported my career and I wouldn't have had any idea how to fix it. You just saved me so much time!
Quote: Originally posted by Tinytean

retired moderator
Original Poster
#168 Old 11th Jun 2022 at 7:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by csnyder1
Thank you, your comment was so helpful! That's exactly the problem I just had when I exported my career and I wouldn't have had any idea how to fix it. You just saved me so much time!

Very glad to be of help, and that you were able to fix it!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#169 Old 17th Jun 2022 at 7:44 PM
I am now maintaining this tutorial via Patreon. Please direct all questions and comments there. Thank you! ❤️
Test Subject
#170 Old 6th Jul 2022 at 10:18 AM
The Sims 4

With patch 73, Sims can register with the Ministry of Labor as a self-employed Sim over the phone. They are able to give themselves a title and a description. Patch 79 added the freelancer career, which allows Sims to work on their own time from home.
retired moderator
Original Poster
#171 Old 6th Jul 2022 at 1:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simfan432
Is it possible use this tool to fix/update careers made by creators who are no longer active?

No, it isn't. It can't import career files, only export them. You could take those careers and remake them, though.
Test Subject
#172 Old 9th Feb 2023 at 6:49 AM
Default Linking a custom career to a university degree?
I've made a Fashion career using the Create-a-Career tool, and I want to link a university degree to it e.g. after completing a Fine Arts Degree, you get boosted to Level 7 of the Fashion Career. Does anyone know how to do this? Please help!

Alternatively, I wanna know if there's a way to create custom University Degrees. I know Zero has some so it is possible.. What level of coding knowledge would I need to create custom degrees?
Page 7 of 7