Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Apr 2020 at 7:49 PM Last edited by kestrellyn : 10th Apr 2020 at 10:20 PM.
Default Project: What does wfsanity do, exactly?
A while back someone asked what wfsanity actually did in the main forum, so I decided to see if I could actually get a list of everything it did. I've only gotten part of the way through it, but I've realized the following: a) there were bugs, which I've fixed, which have improved my game, b) there are modifications I wish to release separately, and c) people will undoubtedly have requests for things they want to work differently, which will be easier to fulfill if I've recently documented than functionality than if I've already done the whole thing and therefore have to delve back into it to remind myself where that part of the code was. So: I am making this thread early even though I am not finished documenting yet.

What is wfsanity?

Wfsanity is a modification of a particular class of functions called Check Trees which determine when certain wants are allowed to appear. Not all wants can appear in all circumstances by default, they are generally generated when certain conditions trigger (although some of them do appear more or less at random). Check trees limit when they can appear further.

I've documented wfsanity's functionality in a spreadsheet in wfsanitydoc.zip. In each row, column A lists a want or fear (or multiple wants and fears), column B lists the requirements from the check tree as of M&G, and column C lists additional requirements added by wfsanity. In the spreadsheet I use the following terms:

Wanter is the sim who rolls the want
Target is the sim mentioned in the want
A generic want is a version of the want without a Target. For example, you can want to marry a particular sim, or you can just want to get married in general - the latter is the generic version of the want. The generic and specific versions are considered the same want, and thus share the same check tree, but the check tree can apply different requirements for the generic want.

I am only marking things as bugs (and fixing them) when it is clear to me what Pescado intended to happen and it is also clear that he made a mistake implementing it. If you have a request for something to work differently, let me know and I will make a supplementary mod to do that, if it's possible.

Current Progress: I have documented 33/115 check trees

Mods attached to this post:

wfsanity.zip: Fixed version of wfsanity. Bugs fixed:
  • Sims can now roll wants to call other sims and invite them over
  • Unselectable and mean sims do not roll the want to apologize

romancewantsinlawsfix.zip: Sims no longer roll romantic wants for their in-laws and step-family, unless they have love/crush/married/engaged/going steady flags with them. Necessary if you use in-laws fix, since in that case these wants are unfulfillable. Load order doesn't matter, has been thoroughly tested.

polyamorycheatingfearfix.zip: Sims will not fear being caught cheating with sims who they have married/engaged/going steady flags with. Must load after wfsanity. Needs testing.

Updates:
  • Added documentation for another 7 check trees
Attached files:
File Type: zip  wfsanitydoc.zip (11.0 KB, 624 downloads)
File Type: zip  wfsanity.zip (11.8 KB, 620 downloads)
File Type: zip  romancewantsinlawsfix.zip (430 Bytes, 270 downloads)
File Type: zip  polamorycheatingfearfix.zip (452 Bytes, 150 downloads)
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 8th Apr 2020 at 2:04 AM
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 8th Apr 2020 at 3:49 AM
That's something I can provide a patch for, yes. If you want all of them gone, though, I'll wait until I've documented everything to be sure I don't miss any. Although, in default wfsanity I think they are all disabled if there hasn't been any occult activity in your neighborhood.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 8th Apr 2020 at 5:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kestrellyn
That's something I can provide a patch for, yes. If you want all of them gone, though, I'll wait until I've documented everything to be sure I don't miss any. Although, in default wfsanity I think they are all disabled if there hasn't been any occult activity in your neighborhood.

I'm talking about occult activity. I want some of my extra-terrestrial colonies to have technomagi along with the other weirdos.
Field Researcher
#5 Old 24th Nov 2020 at 12:13 AM
Thank you so much for this! Your descriptions are so helpful and I'm so glad I've got the fixed version now. One thing I do dislike about wfsanity though, is how it disables wants like swimming and ice skating unless a pool/rink is on the current lot, as this removes the opportunity to send sims to community lots with these facilities when playing a wants-based playstyle.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 27th Jul 2021 at 9:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by BellaDovah
Thank you so much for this! Your descriptions are so helpful and I'm so glad I've got the fixed version now. One thing I do dislike about wfsanity though, is how it disables wants like swimming and ice skating unless a pool/rink is on the current lot, as this removes the opportunity to send sims to community lots with these facilities when playing a wants-based playstyle.

I know right? Would you ever consider updating for this matter, @kestrellyn?
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#7 Old 28th Jul 2021 at 12:12 AM
Yeah, I intend to continue this. I've just been busy, and had higher priority stuff to work on.
Instructor
#8 Old 7th Jan 2022 at 12:57 PM
Thank you so much for doing this, it is extremely helpful!
I used your version of wfsanity for a while now and really enjoyed myself. Sims would occasionally roll the want to call or invite someone over and it always made me happy because I hadn't seen those wants in ages.
I thought I would mention an oddity that happened to me on dorm lots: all the wants (except the ones I locked in before the first reroll) of all my active university Sims became call/invite friends or relatives. I thought if I satisfied one of those wants, the others might go away. But after calling one relative I just got another want to call someone else. When I replaced your wfsanity with the original again the wants went back to university related stuff. This only happened on dorm lots, on regular lots it works great and I only occasionally get a want to call/invite somebody.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#9 Old 7th Jan 2022 at 6:48 PM
Interesting, I don't usually play dorms, but I have noticed that some sims get stuck wanting to call everyone periodically. It eventually clears up, though. I'm probably going to go back and put a relationship requirement on that want so it only rolls for people they actually haven't talked to in a while.
Instructor
#10 Old 7th Jan 2022 at 8:32 PM
Good to know that it eventually clears up. I have to admit that patience is not my strong suit. So I definitely didn’t give it some time to clear up. I really just fulfilled one of those wants and when it was replaced by a similar one I put the original mod back in.
Thank you for replying and letting me know.
Test Subject
#11 Old 10th Dec 2022 at 9:39 PM
I've documented wfsanity's functionality in a spreadsheet in wfsanitydoc.zip. In each row, column A lists a want or fear (or multiple wants and fears), column B lists the requirements from the check tree as of M&G, and column C lists additional requirements added by wfsanity. In the spreadsheet I use the following terms:

I've downloaded the .xl file to read up on whats going on here and its just 2 cells with seemingly unrelated information. Is there an issue there?
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#12 Old 12th Dec 2022 at 7:19 AM
Did you open the right tab? There are two tabs, the second one is just notes for me.
Test Subject
#13 Old 15th Dec 2022 at 2:37 AM
Did you open the right tab? There are two tabs, the second one is just notes for me.

Well now I just feel silly. Thank you.

I'd like to *bump* one of the first post that was made by Mad Poster about nuking occult wants including the "*sim* howls." I love my occult sims but I cant stand most of the wants that relate to them as they just constantly clog up the wants panel. (Nothing ruins game play more than a knowledge sim wanting a off-lot sim to howl constantly) I have the No supernatural wants by Midge the Tree but their mods conflict with wfsanity.

Again, Thanks for what you're doing. I really love this game but these bugs and annoyances really suck!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#14 Old 15th Dec 2022 at 6:51 AM
Oh, there's nothing anyone can do about the "sim howls" want in particular without modifying install files, and possibly not even then, either. EA just never made a check tree for that one at all. But if you want all the changes that Midge introduced in her mod, just load it after wfsanity and it will be fine.
Test Subject
#15 Old 15th Dec 2022 at 11:10 PM
Oh, there's nothing anyone can do about the "sim howls" want in particular without modifying install files, and possibly not even then, either. EA just never made a check tree for that one at all. But if you want all the changes that Midge introduced in her mod, just load it after wfsanity and it will be fine.

That's insane! That could also explain why my attempt at a mod to remove the sim howl want just refused to work too! I thought I wasn't doing something correctly.

I may be done playing with werewolves if that's the deal.

Are there any other wants that act like that that you know of?
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#16 Old 16th Dec 2022 at 7:24 AM
There are definitely other wants that don't have check trees, but I don't have a list of them off the top of my head. You can look through all the wants and see what check tree, if any, is defined for them - they are in TSData/Res/Wants/Wants.package.
Test Subject
#17 Old 16th Dec 2022 at 8:01 PM
There are definitely other wants that don't have check trees, but I don't have a list of them off the top of my head. You can look through all the wants and see what check tree, if any, is defined for them - they are in TSData/Res/Wants/Wants.package.

When I look at *(None) EP4Lycanthropy / Howl* it does show a checkTree for *CT - Test - Summon Wolves*

From what I'm picking up between MidgeTheTree's tutorial and your responses is that this is the checkTree that we're talking about. I feel like I may be missing something now. Also, if there's a better place we can talk about this (if you're willing) then please let me know.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#18 Old 17th Dec 2022 at 4:58 AM
Are you looking at the "Howl" want? That's a different want than "Sim Howls". I just checked, and Sim Howls does indeed not have a check tree.

I'm on discord as kestrellyn#8017 if you want to talk there, although sometimes I get logged out and don't wind up logging in again for weeks.