Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th Nov 2023 at 11:28 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, Late Night, Pets, Seasons
Default mirror only shows backside of the mirror
so i tried to make a mirror and i have assigned the joints and everything but why does the mirror only show the backside of the mirror? i have tried to change angle of the mirror but nothing works. please help!
Screenshots
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 18th Nov 2023 at 12:59 PM
Is that a floor (standalone) mirror you're trying to make? Try adjusting the w value to negative. More info here

or if it's a wall mirror, clone the 'mirror wall contemporary' instead, and make sure your mirror group faces only one side..

Looking for something converted to TS3? Visit Xto3 Conversions Finds for all your xto3 needs.
Main simblr: aisquaredchoco ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
My downloaded cc: ts3ccreblogsbyaisquared
Buy-build defaults database
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 18th Nov 2023 at 1:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by aisquared
Is that a floor (standalone) mirror you're trying to make? Try adjusting the w value to negative. More info here

or if it's a wall mirror, clone the 'mirror wall contemporary' instead, and make sure your mirror group faces only one side..

What do you mean by clone the 'mirror wall contemporary' and what is a mirror wall? do you mean the whole mirror?
Top Secret Researcher
#4 Old 18th Nov 2023 at 3:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Lulu123
What do you mean by clone the 'mirror wall contemporary' and what is a mirror wall? do you mean the whole mirror?

Are you using TSRW? I meant the 'mirror wall contemporary' is the base object you should be cloning from (right at the start of TSRW's creation process). That is, if you cloned a wall-type mirror that certainly may not be the mirror type you cloned from. But I'll just ask, which base object did you clone your mirror from?

Looking for something converted to TS3? Visit Xto3 Conversions Finds for all your xto3 needs.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 18th Nov 2023 at 4:58 PM
Are you using TSRW? I meant the 'mirror wall contemporary' is the base object you should be cloning from (right at the start of TSRW's creation process). That is, if you cloned a wall-type mirror that certainly may not be the mirror type you cloned from. But I'll just ask, which base object did you clone your mirror from?

i used mirror full wall wide to clone but does that matter if my mirror is a little tilted? because i tried to clone the mirror floor ranch but nothing changes...
Top Secret Researcher
#6 Old 18th Nov 2023 at 5:31 PM
So you cloned a wall type mirror then. Try again, this time using the mirror wall contemporary (see below) as your base. Size won't matter, since it would take the form of your mesh once you import..

Screenshots

Inventor
#7 Old 18th Nov 2023 at 6:43 PM
i used mirror full wall wide to clone but does that matter if my mirror is a little tilted? because i tried to clone the mirror floor ranch but nothing changes...

When cloning any object, be sure that your mesh groups match the materials of the donor, and in the group order of the donor. Also check the answer by @CardinalSims regarding normals direction here

Shiny, happy people make me puke!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 19th Nov 2023 at 9:49 AM
So you cloned a wall type mirror then. Try again, this time using the mirror wall contemporary (see below) as your base. Size won't matter, since it would take the form of your mesh once you import..

i tried your suggestion to clone the contemorary mirror but it still shows the backside... Is it because my mirror is not pin straight as a wall but tiltet a little forward? because the link you shared earlier i don't kinda get what the person means?...
Screenshots
Top Secret Researcher
#9 Old 19th Nov 2023 at 12:15 PM
hmm...you may try two things:

1. convert your finished .sims3pack to .package format. You can also do it in TSRW (edit > project contents > export > export to .package), though it will result in a larger file size than the one in .sims3pack. Open your .package file through s3pe, look for the MLOD and MODL resources and click. Click on the grid tab at the near bottom of the screen. You will see a series of collapsible menu entries. For the MLOD (high level of detail) resource, go to ChunkEntries > [00]ChunkEntries > RCOLBlock > Meshes > [#]Meshes (# = group number). Go to the 'MirrorPlane' entry and you will see the x, y, z, and w attributes. Tweak the w attribute into a negative value. Do the same with the MODL (medium level of detail) resource (ChunkEntries > [01]ChunkEntries > RCOLBlock > Meshes > [#]Meshes (# = group number))
..and yeah I admit the turorial I linked earlier seems complicated, but these set of instructions I provided are illustrated there if you need visual guidance.

or 2. check your mirror group in blender. Make sure the mirror group is a single plane mesh that faces only one side (once you rotate your view the other side of the mesh must be invisible)..

...aaand as a last resort, I (or anyone) may need to see the project file itself to look for any other possible workarounds..

Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 19th Nov 2023 at 1:35 PM
hmm...you may try two things:

1. convert your finished .sims3pack to .package format. You can also do it in TSRW (edit > project contents > export > export to .package), though it will result in a larger file size than the one in .sims3pack. Open your .package file through s3pe, look for the MLOD and MODL resources and click. Click on the grid tab at the near bottom of the screen. You will see a series of collapsible menu entries. For the MLOD (high level of detail) resource, go to ChunkEntries > [00]ChunkEntries > RCOLBlock > Meshes > [#]Meshes (# = group number). Go to the 'MirrorPlane' entry and you will see the x, y, z, and w attributes. Tweak the w attribute into a negative value. Do the same with the MODL (medium level of detail) resource (ChunkEntries > [01]ChunkEntries > RCOLBlock > Meshes > [#]Meshes (# = group number))
..and yeah I admit the turorial I linked earlier seems complicated, but these set of instructions I provided are illustrated there if you need visual guidance.

or 2. check your mirror group in blender. Make sure the mirror group is a single plane mesh that faces only one side (once you rotate your view the other side of the mesh must be invisible)..

...aaand as a last resort, I (or anyone) may need to see the project file itself to look for any other possible workarounds..

okay i did what you said and it worked but now everything in the mirror is blurred. is it fixable or not?
Screenshots
Top Secret Researcher
#11 Old 19th Nov 2023 at 4:37 PM
okay i did what you said and it worked but now everything in the mirror is blurred. is it fixable or not?

I've only seen this issue the first time, so I don't have an idea of any workaround. Maybe send the project file so I (or someone else) could look upon it?

Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 20th Nov 2023 at 9:32 AM
I've only seen this issue the first time, so I don't have an idea of any workaround. Maybe send the project file so I (or someone else) could look upon it?

here's the project file:https://www.mediafire.com/file/nch4...mirror.rar/file
Inventor
#13 Old 20th Nov 2023 at 3:09 PM
here's the project file:https://www.mediafire.com/file/nch4...mirror.rar/file

Again, as with the tree, you only supply the parts. When we ask for "project files", we mean your TSRW work file, and Blender work file. We already know that with my tool settings, I did not duplicate the issue you had with the tree, because it was not a part issue. Rather, an issue with your settings in Blender, which no one will see from assembling parts in our tools with our settings.

Shiny, happy people make me puke!
Top Secret Researcher
#14 Old 20th Nov 2023 at 6:12 PM
Echoing @LadySmoks, we need to see the TSRW project file itself so we will most likely know what went wrong. Using the files you provided, I recreated the mirror with the steps I showed posts above. And the mirror showed up fine when I tested it..

And one thing to note about your meshes, I noticed the groups were named oddly (Group_0 for example, it should be Group 0) and in the wrong order. (I don't know if this is directly related to the issue but I might as well mention)

Test Subject
Original Poster
#15 Old 21st Nov 2023 at 11:04 AM
Echoing @LadySmoks, we need to see the TSRW project file itself so we will most likely know what went wrong. Using the files you provided, I recreated the mirror with the steps I showed posts above. And the mirror showed up fine when I tested it..

And one thing to note about your meshes, I noticed the groups were named oddly (Group_0 for example, it should be Group 0) and in the wrong order. (I don't know if this is directly related to the issue but I might as well mention)

https://www.mediafire.com/file/j85b...s/test.wso/file sorry i thougth it was there too but here it is
Top Secret Researcher
#16 Old 21st Nov 2023 at 11:59 AM
https://www.mediafire.com/file/j85b...s/test.wso/file sorry i thougth it was there too but here it is

ummm...I think this is the mesh file saved in .wso format. You need to save your project in .wrk file format, that's what we needed to dig into.

*To save your project in TSRW navigate to File > Save/Save as.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#17 Old 21st Nov 2023 at 12:30 PM
ummm...I think this is the mesh file saved in .wso format. You need to save your project in .wrk file format, that's what we needed to dig into.

*To save your project in TSRW navigate to File > Save/Save as.

ahh okay then i get it. Here it is: https://www.mediafire.com/file/kce2...mirror.wrk/file
Top Secret Researcher
#18 Old 21st Nov 2023 at 2:37 PM Last edited by aisquared : 21st Nov 2023 at 2:59 PM.
I see no problem with your project file itself, and tried exporting it (without touching anything) to test in game. Only change I did was to change the w attributes to negative values. No problems in the mirror's reflection. So go ahead and try exporting again..

I also attached the .package file I exported, you may start over this file to continue..

Also a few pointers..
- align your mesh with an EA mirror so that it will fit walls snugly when you place it and move it more below because it sits too high when placed inside
- adjust your tiling according to your texture size. In your case it's 2048x2048 so set it to 8,8 to avoid stretchy/blurry textures
- also don't forget to make a specular image
- if you want your mirror to be movable up/down the wall, tick the 'WFCanBeMoveUpDownOnWall' check box in TSRW's project tab
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: rar  mirror_new.rar (31.8 KB, 4 downloads)

Test Subject
Original Poster
#19 Old 21st Nov 2023 at 3:31 PM
I see no problem with your project file itself, and tried exporting it (without touching anything) to test in game. Only change I did was to change the w attributes to negative values. No problems in the mirror's reflection. So go ahead and try exporting again..

I also attached the .package file I exported, you may start over this file to continue..

Also a few pointers..
- align your mesh with an EA mirror so that it will fit walls snugly when you place it and move it more below because it sits too high when placed inside
- adjust your tiling according to your texture size. In your case it's 2048x2048 so set it to 8,8 to avoid stretchy/blurry textures
- also don't forget to make a specular image
- if you want your mirror to be movable up/down the wall, tick the 'WFCanBeMoveUpDownOnWall' check box in TSRW's project tab

thank you so much for your help!