Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#10676 Old 5th Jun 2021 at 3:12 PM
It occured to me that a majority of my lots end up with holes in the corner, theres always a wolf that barges onto the apartments, digs a hole and leaves. Landlords probably having a nightmare dealing with that.
Advertisement
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#10677 Old 5th Jun 2021 at 3:53 PM
Please keep on topic, which is The Sims 2 Random Thoughts. If you want to discuss the validity of masks and covid, or anything that is not The Sims 2, find another forum.
Forum Resident
#10678 Old 6th Jun 2021 at 3:50 PM
I don't know why but these days I'm starting to feel like removing my aging mod and playing the sims with their original weird lifespan... but at the same time I also want them to progress through their life faster, which is quite a paradox... (I think...)

I hate being a cancer and having all these feelings I don't understand...
Mad Poster
#10679 Old 6th Jun 2021 at 9:30 PM
I have become disenchanted with several of the mods in my game, and have taken them out-including CLT, which prevents pixels from going on vacations and after much consideration I took it out thinking that it's just not worth the hassle is it's going to impact another part of my game that I'd like to use-I've got some characters who own vacation houses, but can't visit them because of it, and I'd really like the chance for them to have the benefit of their money.

Another hack I took out was that visitors can use the shower. It was getting annoying when 5 visitors one right after another use the facilities and the householder is standing there turning blue. So out it went! I hope it improve the flow.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Scholar
#10680 Old 6th Jun 2021 at 9:49 PM
I played with that weird Maxis lifespan for so long, and now can't imagine going back after only a little playing on a longer one -- although mostly because the current one I'm using is so internally consistent that it makes notekeeping much simpler, rather than because it's longer. (I actually have mods that make certain Sims age quite a bit faster now, but it's logically divided by species.)

My random, and hopefully on-topic, thought: I've come to believe that the world would be much better if "default replacement" was a more widely understood concept outside of certain gaming communities. I've seen a lot of needless bickering about various proposed IRL changes recently, and most of it is because both sides of the argument are using inflammatory language rather than calling them by the simplest term...default replacements. I think we all know here that not all default replacements are suitable for all settings (I know some of us have multiple default folders for different neighbourhoods, and even now I have a "RetroDefaults" folder to be swapped in and out depending on whether I'm playing the hood I've collected them for) and that's why there are multiple varieties of so many of them...and there's always the option to leave the came-with-the-game version if you don't feel any of them are right. Also, while replacing a default is noticeable to at least a small extent (that's the point!) even extensive changes aren't necessarily harmful if done right. Cassandra Goth is going to look very different from the storytelling pictures if she starts a new Pleasantview in a minidress, no pigtails, and neon eyes and skintone (yes, there are neon replacements for the default skins and eyes!) but she's still Cassandra Goth. The Grand Vampires are still the Grand Vampires with different or no fangs, overlay, or costumes. Who knows, maybe Buzz Grunt would do just fine as an...er...animal handler? (I don't know if that default career ever got made, but the proposal of it made me feel first affronted, then amused -- and both because of the images of The General that it conjured.) Even such sweeping modifications as ACR, InTeen, lifespan changes, community lot skilling, and traits -- which in essence are default replacements of elements of Sim physiology and/or psychology -- are able to be integrated into preexisting hoods without more noticeable effects than a few dropped queues on lot load if they're put in correctly. (And yes, LazyDuchess has made that an easier prospect with the new version of AgeCorrect.)

Unlike Sims, we seem to have some choice in what default replacements we get...at this point. If we keep arguing about it -- or behaving in ways that show just how glitchy our current defaults are -- our Watcher might make the choice without consulting us. It's already happening, after all. Or worse...technically nounlinkondelete is a default replacement of the dangerously glitchy shipped-with-game functioning of urnstones, but it would be irresponsible to not have it, even if you're vehemently against default replacements or mods in general, because the alternative is corruption if you ever let your guard down. Creaturefixes, among other things, default replaces part of the psychology of Grand Vampires to make them realize Mrs Crumplebottom isn't worth the bother, and it can save your game if you have any intention of letting them bite anyone at all.

I should point out that I'm currently trying to default replace some significant elements of myself after realizing that they'd already been default replaced by circumstances into something I was not comfortable or happy with, so the "still me but different" idea isn't just something I'm trying to foist on other people. I might have figured out a career track I actually want, am qualified for, and would be good at in the process, so I guess it's worth it...
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#10681 Old 7th Jun 2021 at 10:49 PM Last edited by AndrewGloria : 7th Jun 2021 at 11:00 PM.
Today I ate out in a Real Life restaurant and ate pizza. I'm never sure how you're supposed to eat pizza. Are you supposed to cut it up with a knife and eat the pieces with your fork? Or are you supposed to pick up the individual slices with your fingers and take bites out of the slice?

To get a definitive answer I think I'll get some of my Sims to order pizza, and then watch how the experts eat it. To be sure of a really definitive answer, I'll get some of the Montys to order the pizza. Living as they do on the Italian side of Veronaville, I'm sure they will know the correct way to eat Italian food.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Scholar
#10682 Old 7th Jun 2021 at 11:11 PM
Jennifer Burb and I have a lot in common. We both want to get a body skill point but won't actually exercise for more than a few seconds at a time before realizing we'd rather be doing pretty much anything else.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#10683 Old 7th Jun 2021 at 11:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AndrewGloria
To get a definitive answer I think I'll get some of my Sims to order pizza, and then watch how the experts eat it.

Mine eat it like this:

Which is pretty much how I eat it, only I eat faster. And more. And I don't share my pizza.
Mad Poster
#10684 Old 8th Jun 2021 at 3:27 AM
About the new Downloads layout...can I complain somewhere? ....am I the only one who can't find things?

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Staff - Moderator
staff: moderator
#10685 Old 8th Jun 2021 at 4:19 AM
Quote: Originally posted by grammapat
About the new Downloads layout...can I complain somewhere? ....am I the only one who can't find things?

There is an existing thread in site issues here. Link However, it would be best to have an actual constructive criticism about ways to improve the site than merely not liking the layout as this has been undergoing considerable changes recently and may undergo more.
Mad Poster
#10686 Old 8th Jun 2021 at 2:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by fascisthater
There is an existing thread in site issues here. Link However, it would be best to have an actual constructive criticism about ways to improve the site than merely not liking the layout as this has been undergoing considerable changes recently and may undergo more.

Thank you; and I certainly do have specifics in mind.

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Test Subject
#10687 Old 8th Jun 2021 at 9:34 PM
Maybe my game is busted in a new and exciting way but the Pleasants (excluding Angela) are never mean to Lilith. Everyone says that Lilith will run away eventually because of how they treat her but in my neighborhoods that never happens because the autonomous interactions they pick are neutral/friendly ones, I'd have to make them be mean to her. And sooner than anyone else Mary-Sue and Lilith eventually become BFFs lol. It's Angela that beefs with her the most, but that's expected.
Idk. In the story that I make up as I go along, I just chalk it up to her parents trying to "redeem" themselves after neglecting her, and that leads to interesting story potential depending on if I feel like Lilith in turn starts tolerating them more and more or if she doesn't think it's good enough for what they've done to her; it presents complicated relationships which can be fun to explore.

mostly sims 2 and sims 3. 4 on occasion
Mad Poster
#10688 Old 10th Jun 2021 at 1:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by AndrewGloria
Today I ate out in a Real Life restaurant and ate pizza. I'm never sure how you're supposed to eat pizza. Are you supposed to cut it up with a knife and eat the pieces with your fork? Or are you supposed to pick up the individual slices with your fingers and take bites out of the slice?

To get a definitive answer I think I'll get some of my Sims to order pizza, and then watch how the experts eat it. To be sure of a really definitive answer, I'll get some of the Montys to order the pizza. Living as they do on the Italian side of Veronaville, I'm sure they will know the correct way to eat Italian food.

Most Americans eat pizza with their hands, and I'm pretty sure that's why the Sims are programed to.

That said, pizza gets my hands all greasy, and even though I tell everyone to go wash up, I'm never sure they actually do a good job, so I am firmly in the camp of eat food with forks and knives, including pizza and hamburgers. Or chopsticks or spoons, but pizza wouldn't work with those! (The funny part of all of this, because of my mother-in-law, a significant portion of the recipes I make are intended to be eaten using a bread or starch to scoop them up. I can do it, but I really dislike it.)

So you should eat pizza whatever way makes you feel comfortable.

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Mad Poster
#10689 Old 10th Jun 2021 at 1:41 AM
I've always eaten pizza with a knife and fork, mostly because I don't like getting all sauced up...but when it comes to other foods, such as lobster, forks, and knives don't have anything on a nutcracker and tiny forks.

I've seen people attempt to be fancy with those crustaceans, and I have no idea why the game has them in it with forks and knives because if you're smart, you'll just abandon all pretense of being well brought up and dive into them with both hands.It's one of my pet peeves about that one dish.

As a Mainer, I'm perturbed that the developers did not research the topic more thoroughly and kept them out of the game-or at least made them more realistic in the actions. They're the real 'all hands on' food.

Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
Mad Poster
#10690 Old 10th Jun 2021 at 2:47 AM
Quote: Originally posted by FranH
I've always eaten pizza with a knife and fork, mostly because I don't like getting all sauced up...but when it comes to other foods, such as lobster, forks, and knives don't have anything on a nutcracker and tiny forks.

I've seen people attempt to be fancy with those crustaceans, and I have no idea why the game has them in it with forks and knives because if you're smart, you'll just abandon all pretense of being well brought up and dive into them with both hands.It's one of my pet peeves about that one dish.

As a Mainer, I'm perturbed that the developers did not research the topic more thoroughly and kept them out of the game-or at least made them more realistic in the actions. They're the real 'all hands on' food.

Isn't Lobster Thermidor kind of like a twice-baked potato though, where yeah, it's served in the original skin/shell, but the cooking process actually involves scooping out all the edible innards and mashing them up with other stuff, and then just putting it back in the original shell/skin for presentation? If it was supposed to just be a boiled lobster I agree with you 100%, but unless I'm confusing lobster thermidor with something else, it kind of seems like one of the few times where you WOULD have what looks like a full lobster that you'd still eat with a knife and fork...

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Mad Poster
#10691 Old 10th Jun 2021 at 6:22 AM
The crust on pizza is supposed to be a handle to keep your hands clean. I don't get greasy when eating pizza, then again, I don't eat cheese, so my pizza is considerably less greasy than most people eat it.

I do think if it has so much cheese and grease on it that it falls apart if you try to hold it by the crust then there's probably something wrong there, though.

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Mad Poster
#10692 Old 10th Jun 2021 at 9:24 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Zarathustra
Isn't Lobster Thermidor kind of like a twice-baked potato though, where yeah, it's served in the original skin/shell, but the cooking process actually involves scooping out all the edible innards and mashing them up with other stuff, and then just putting it back in the original shell/skin for presentation? If it was supposed to just be a boiled lobster I agree with you 100%, but unless I'm confusing lobster thermidor with something else, it kind of seems like one of the few times where you WOULD have what looks like a full lobster that you'd still eat with a knife and fork...

According to Wikipedia:
Quote:
Lobster Thermidor is a French dish of lobster meat cooked in a rich wine sauce, stuffed back into a lobster shell, and browned. The sauce is often a mixture of egg yolks and Brandy (such as Cognac), served with an oven-browned cheese crust, typically Gruyère.[1] The sauce originally contained mustard (typically powdered mustard).
Due to expensive ingredients and extensive preparation involved, Lobster Thermidor is usually considered a recipe primarily for special occasions.

Well, I was wrong-it is supposed to be Lobster Thermidor, but to see it so commonly cooked in game is rather silly, too-as being the most expensive kind of dish.
I've never had it myself but I'm the kind of purist who doesn't like even lobster rolls as being heathenish. Give me a boiled lobster any time of the day! All that fussiness is too much!

Mad Poster
#10693 Old 11th Jun 2021 at 2:35 AM
Quote: Originally posted by FranH
Well, I was wrong-it is supposed to be Lobster Thermidor, but to see it so commonly cooked in game is rather silly, too-as being the most expensive kind of dish.
I've never had it myself but I'm the kind of purist who doesn't like even lobster rolls as being heathenish. Give me a boiled lobster any time of the day! All that fussiness is too much!

Haha, that sounds absolutely absurd but also like it might be kind of awesome (like, once). Also, now I want lobster of pretty much any kind, and I live WAY too far away from the ocean for that to be a reasonable desire (no joke, I think the only place in town that would have lobster is... Red Lobster. *le sigh* )

It does seem like most of the other seafood dishes are kind of "extra" too though... like IIRC most of the caught fish dishes are things like stuffed filets...

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#10694 Old 11th Jun 2021 at 11:10 PM Last edited by AndrewGloria : 11th Jun 2021 at 11:34 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
Mine eat it like this:
Which is pretty much how I eat it, only I eat faster. And more. And I don't share my pizza.
That's more or less how I ate it in the restaurant! I wasn't sharing either, and the pizza was nearly as big as that one. I ended up taking two slices home.

To see for myself how Sims eat their pizza, I went to see Antonio Monty and his family. Wednesday started out chaotically at 53 Via Venezia. There wasn't enough in the fridge for Antonio to feed his family with cereal. First idea was to order a delivery of groceries. But he was hardly off the 'phone, when it occurred to him that pizza would be quicker, as they wouldn't have to cook it. So he ordered pizza too. The result was a traffic jam outside the house as a groceries delivery van, a pizza delivery car, and a school 'bus completely blocked the road in both directions. In the end, by the time both deliveries were accepted, there wasn't time to eat anything before the school 'bus left, and Beatrice, Benedick and Berjes Wilsonoff (the Downtownie teen whom Antonio took on to act as live-in nanny to the children) all went to school without any breakfast. Antonio for his part ate his pizza with his fingers, in the front garden, in his underpants!

I wanted to see how a really neat Sim ate their pizza, so when Berjes got home from school (with his first A+ report) he invited Julian round, and Julian in turn invited Andrew, who duly arrived, resplendent in his sailor suit. Now my friend Andrew, a Virgo, is a real neatnik; he's taken (with good reason) to calling me "Mr. Messy". I really wanted to see how he ate his pizza, so we got it out of Antonio's inventory so everyone could eat it. In the event Andrew ate his with his fingers like the other Sims; he held the slice by the crust and started eating at the pointed end furthest from the crust.

So that's it settled. What's good enough for Andrew is good enough for me. In future I'll eat my pizza with my fingers. My mother says that pizza was a traditional Italian workman's lunch, which he carried to work, so it makes sense not to use fingers rather than a knife and fork. (A Scottish workman carries a "piece" to work, and my mother thinks the two words might be related.)

Later in the evening Andrew became hungry again and, when I temporarily made him controllable, he decided to cook some more food. I got him to make burgers for everyone. I noted that they ate the burgers with their fingers too, holding them by the "bun" so they didn't actually have to touch the burger itself. But Sims' burgers are still a sensible size that they can easily hold in their hands. Real Life burgers (as served in restaurants anyway) have recently reached a ridiculous size, with so many things stuffed into them that they need a skewer to hold them together. I've recently started removing some of the contents and eating them with a knife and fork, reducing the burger in its "bun" (which we might call a "roll" in Scotland) to a size that I can hold in my hand and eat the way my Sims eat theirs.

So there's something else we can learn from our Sims -- how to eat our food properly!!

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Alchemist
#10695 Old 12th Jun 2021 at 2:30 AM
Does anyone know where Chris Hatch went? I haven't seen him answering modding questions in a long time. Did he move to a new forum?
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#10696 Old 12th Jun 2021 at 11:48 AM
I was asking this a few days ago, omglo. I haven't heard anything of him for a while, I hope he's still modding! Maybe he has his own site now?
Alchemist
#10697 Old 13th Jun 2021 at 5:18 PM
Thanks, hopefully he's doing fine wherever he's off to.
Lab Assistant
#10698 Old 13th Jun 2021 at 9:26 PM
I just installed the Ultimate Collection on my new Windows 10 laptop and expected all kinds of trouble but surprisingly after a quick fix with the 4GB patch and installing Graphic Rules Makers, it runs without any issues so far. I'll hope it stays this way once I add my download folder and neighborhoods.
Forum Resident
#10699 Old 13th Jun 2021 at 10:04 PM
I saw this screenshot on insta of someone being nice on what I assume was an FPS game, and the other person being absolutely baffled and insisting they should be toxic. And it made me think.

Imagine if there was such a toxic competitive simming community. Someone calls you a slur bc you used toddler-bot (like aimbot but for toddlers) or a hacker because your sim reached level 10 of the culinary career. A random middle schooler who makes you 1v1 him in Strangetown (which one of you can marry their sim off faster), and when he loses he claims his dad works for EA and will get your account banned. Someone sees your generation 1 Kristen Loste and calls you a noob because you're not on generation 56 like they are. "Wow, I didn't know girls played the sims". Simming competitions on cons.
Forum Resident
#10700 Old 14th Jun 2021 at 6:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by terula8
Does anyone else struggle with being torn between downloading hoods, university and vacation subhoods and building their own? I can't seem to find a balance. On the one hand, the updated hoods for download list from Jawusa has so many awesome and useable ones and I could save so much time by just plunking one in, but on the other hand, half the fun for me is building my own designs and then playing with them. So much so that I don't even bother to take proper pictures (I mean, I sort of do but I never remember to share them.)

I do get overwhelmed by how much work it is to build a university campus from scratch as well as a mainhood, subhoods, and vacation hoods - my populations boom and yet I haven't built enough housing yet, or the uni is only half finished, or there's no holiday hood at all, but I just get so much satisfaction from doing it myself. I'm sort of afraid that using someone else's beautiful uni would make it less fun for me. I kind of want to build my own attachable hoods myself - and then that would solve both issues...

So much yes, and the same with lots when decorating a hood. Although for me it kinda goes away after I spend a long time (read: 30 minutes) on building one lot, then realizing it's ugly.
Page 428 of 511