Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Jun 2021 at 1:00 PM Last edited by dikosay : 7th Jun 2021 at 8:48 PM.
Default Do you mod?
It always amazes me when I read a post or threads and someone says that they do not use mods. It actually blows my mind.
I posted once that I use others mods to supplement my gameplay, and was puzzled why I received 2 disagreements and no agrees (as of yet).
I came to this website because I had purchased The Sims 4 and found it lacking. I knew from playing Sims 3 and 2 that there would be mods, so I went searching and returned to ModTheSims. I came with the belief that there would be Sims 4 mods - which there were. Plenty of them. Great!

Then I tried out the forum.

I entered thinking that most, if not all, the members would either be mod creators or at the very least users of mods, like me. It seems that I am constantly proven wrong.
So, do you use mods? If so, which ones. How do you like them. Why do you use them? Let's talk about it.

If you don't use mods, I really didn't set up this post with you in mind - but of course everyone is welcome. Please tell us WHY you don't use them.
Everyone have a good day.

You have to know how to accept rejection and reject acceptance. - Ray Bradbury
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 7th Jun 2021 at 2:29 PM
I have used mods in 2,3,4. I honestly cannot remember about 1. Have had well over 100 in when had 2 as I recall. Have used many in 3, but not that many. I have just a few I leave in 4 all the time. So yes, I use them. And for something like 3, some of the Nraas ones are no brainer to me to use. My games run well, and have in part due to some of the things. In 2 we had to have that tour guide fix, for example. Some mods have been needed to make games playable. And some just to remove some irritations or to add things we want.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 7th Jun 2021 at 8:47 PM
Like I said, if I didn't mod, I couldn't play. How do non-modders do it ???

Forum Resident
#4 Old 7th Jun 2021 at 9:26 PM
People don't use mods for different reasons. I myself do, but I've heard various reasons for people not using them over the years.

Some people honestly just prefer vanilla games, and see anything added by a third party as content that isn't "real" (basically anything not officially created can't be trusted, etc).

Some don't like the process of installing, checking for conflicts, removing when updating, etc.

Some don't know how mods work or how to install them, and I've heard people say even with guides it can be too technical, so sometimes they just go without.

You have been chosen. They will come soon.
Field Researcher
#5 Old 7th Jun 2021 at 10:05 PM Last edited by Eehna : 11th Jun 2021 at 7:01 AM.
I use mods. A lot of them.
My big ones for Sims 4 are MCCC, Meaningful Stories and Whims Overhaul.
But I use a lot of smaller ones too, and then there is custom content - extended build sets and whatnot.

I have tried to play unmodded, but I just can't stand it.
I need more objects and I need certain systems to be improved. Not to mention that there are so many small bugs that never get's fixed - mods take care of them.

If people are pleased with unmodded Sims - great!
I don't spend a lot of time wondering how others can play without mods, I just know that I can't do that and I'm forever grateful to all the modders and cc-creators out there.
Smeg Head
#6 Old 20th Jun 2021 at 12:17 AM
As a game, a franchise, The Sims lends itself to mods more than most other games. For the CC that offers much more aesthetic choice, to the stuff that alters game rules, cheats and - just as importantly - new ways to play. More so the latter depending on how lacking the particular iteration is - looking at you TS4. So yep, where I've used and made mods for all versions of The Sims, TS4 is most definitely the iteration I would say is long term unplayable without them. Short term, yep, no mods needed, but then it quickly gets boring, repetitive, shallow, take your pick. The younger generations with shorter attention spans, busier lives and fans of all things youtube seem to get on better with it, than those seasoned, older players of the franchise (myself included) looking for more depth in longer play sessions, yet quickly finding little-to-none. Enter mods.

Funny thing is, there're so many other games I also use mods in, but get fed up doing so. Stellaris, as it suffers the same as the Sims, in that the patches often break so many mods that are then abandoned to the Steam Workshop in a growing mod graveyard. It gets hard to follow. Cities Skylines, again with the vast amount of mods abandoned to graveyard it's hard to keep up. Currently just got rid of all mods for Anno 1800, because they just made the game too damn easy and there's no fun or challenge in that. But for the Sims, especially 4, mods are always needed and I'd go as far as updating them myself if abandoned by other modders. Though I no longer release anything for public use presently. Maybe when Maxis finish patching the game, then I'll start going public again. Because I do still play it, and I can only do that if it's modded. Heavily, heavily modded. So I guess a good reason for a lot of others not, or never, to use mods, is having to trawl through the mod graveyards of so many broken, outdated mods. Too much hassle. I know that's what puts me off doing it for other games. Like right now I'm too afraid to load up Cyberpunk 2077, given the mods I was using for that must all be now broken after that massive 58gb! patch recently. Not as if the game is vastly better anyway, to go hunting down new/updated mods for it.

"Become a government informer. Betray your family and friends. Fabulous prizes to be won!" Red Dwarf - Back to Reality.

Find all my TS4 mods and lots here: Main Website - simsasylum.com My Section - coolspear's Mods & Lots
Top Secret Researcher
#7 Old 20th Jun 2021 at 5:45 AM
I don't make mods, but I've been using mods and CC since about my third game of the original Sims. I have been aware of my basic pack rat tendencies for about 2 decades now!

I use mods in a lot of other games, too. (I mod all my Paradox games, for example, but Cities Skylines least (because of technical issues my end) and Crusader Kings 2 most (it helps that the game is complete now and the version therefore stable). I modded their games pre-Steam, too, but the Workshop makes it all a lot easier.)
Smeg Head
#8 Old 20th Jun 2021 at 10:01 AM
Forgot to mention above, that up until the original Sims, I was strictly a console gamer. Every console known to humanity, I'd had and swore by up till 2000. The PC I had at the time was crap, not meant for gaming in any way, shape or form. Yet was still able to run two games adequately enough to make me do a complete U turn with my gaming habits. The Sims and UFO, got me hooked. However, I also recall at the time, when the first beginnings of mods were coming out for The Sims, - the console player still in me - was adverse to them, seeing them as nothing more than hacks by hackers, going as far as to say, "what, do these people think they know more than the game developers?"

Yep, that was once my thoughts on it all. And I should imagine the same thoughts as a lot of those folks adverse to mods today. Of course the happiness of the folks back in 2000, using mods for The Sims, commenting on forums how better the game is, annoyances quashed and so on, eventually convinced me they can't all be wrong. So I started using too. And that was that. No more console gaming ever again. PC gaming from here on in, because mods can save most games. Either with flaws that need to be fixed, or just make an already solid game have more replay value you just cant get with console games. More for your money, and what's wrong with that? Geez, it's not like a proper gaming rig is comparable to console prices. A small frikken fortune, so need to get your money's worth out of games, and mods can do a grand job of that. Sold, since late 2000, after I stopped being an uneducated naysayer. "They're just hackers making hacks." Like it should be illegal! Total dipshit.

"Become a government informer. Betray your family and friends. Fabulous prizes to be won!" Red Dwarf - Back to Reality.

Find all my TS4 mods and lots here: Main Website - simsasylum.com My Section - coolspear's Mods & Lots
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#9 Old 20th Jun 2021 at 2:24 PM
I know that some of the best lovers of mods are creators of mods themselves. This site is full of them. I, too, want to be in that number someday, so I am attempting to learn how to mod the sims 4 myself. I'll get there, someday. As for now, I cannot play this game unless it's modded. I've said it before, my hat's off to those who can. This thread was not to down them, god bless them. Some people can climb mountains. I can't. That's the bottom line.

Scholar
#10 Old 20th Jun 2021 at 2:50 PM
Mods and CC are outright essential to The Sims experience for me. I can not even begin to imagine not having them.

A year and half ago I began dabbling into custom content myself. I learned Blender and Sims 4 Studio. I felt like I had to, as there were so many things I wanted in the game and I never saw CC creators providing them, for many, many years. The very first thing I did was edit someone else's creation (which has never been posted, it was just for personal use). Then I edited an EA creation. And then I began converting free models to the game.

Honestly, who else was going to bring a bassoon to The Sims aside from me? However, modding is whole different animal from just adding objects to the game, of course. Eventually I began to learn how to mod to a small degree. I learned how to mod ground texture and plants and that's how the mod I released here came to be.

It has been fun delving into it.

Quote: Originally posted by dikosay
I know that some of the best lovers of mods are creators of mods themselves. This site is full of them. I, too, want to be in that number someday, so I am attempting to learn how to mod the sims 4 myself. I'll get there, someday. As for now, I cannot play this game unless it's modded. I've said it before, my hat's off to those who can. This thread was not to down them, god bless them. Some people can climb mountains. I can't. That's the bottom line.

Don't give up! Even I have learned how to mod. I stayed far away from the subject for many, many years, but here I am now.

♫ Keeping this here until EA gives us a proper playable woodwind/brass instrument ♫
For now, though, my decorative Bassoon conversion for TS4. =)
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#11 Old 20th Jun 2021 at 3:08 PM Last edited by dikosay : 20th Jun 2021 at 3:22 PM.
Thanks bassoon crazy for the encouragement. I needed it.

I've just added SpinningPlumbobs's Faries Vs. Witches and Whitelighters mods to my game. Hey, if I'm gonna mod, gotta keep up with appearances, right?

Scholar
#12 Old 21st Jun 2021 at 12:20 AM
I can be very nitpicky about certain game mechanics. Especially when it is intended gameplay (or so they say) that makes no sense to me, I can get very frustrated But I never seem to be alone in this, because there always happens to be a mod that fixes it for me. I don't think I could play any sims version for long without mods. Not anymore anyway.