Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Senior Moderator
staff: senior moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Nov 2020 at 1:07 PM Last edited by zoe22 : 1st Nov 2020 at 8:03 PM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Default Certain beds have a visual tear thing
A while ago when I was looking at a house in a custom world in edit town, I noticed the beds had this tearing in the duvet/cover part. I had recently downloaded a cc bed which I thought might be the culprit, and so I removed it and after that the problem seemed to go away, I couldn't see the tearing anymore. 

So I thought that was that, but recently I loaded up a new world, was looking at the houses and again noticed the same bed tearing. So I'm guessing it wasn't that cc bed after all 
Weirdly, it's not the same for all beds, I noticed that while one base game bed, and a different cc bed was affected, another base game bed wasn't. I haven't checked all the beds, but I know that some are fine while others aren't.
A base game bed and custom one with the issue:

The custom bed next to a base game bed without the issue:

I removed my Packages folder and everything in DCCache, and DCbackup, but the problem is still there. Same with when I removed my Library folder, in case it was some bad cc attached to a house.

I also tried renaming my Sims 3 folder to generate a new one and this actually seemed to fix the problem. 
But before I redo my folder, I thought I would check if anyone has had this before, or has an idea of what might cause it? Is it likely to be a bad cc item, or something else? I haven't noticed any other issues on other objects, it just seems to be beds that have it. 

Here is the first part of DeviceConfig:
Thank you!
Screenshots
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 1st Nov 2020 at 4:24 PM Last edited by Sorceress Supreme : 1st Nov 2020 at 4:53 PM.
Hi. I don't have an answers for you but I actually have the same problem. It's actually been around the whole year, at least. It also doesn't just affect the beds but I've noticed it elsewhere, as well... in beds, chairs, some objects... even in the walls of nearby houses when my sim was visiting France a short while ago. All I remember is that it just kinda popped up out of nowhere. Removing all CC had no effect and changing towns several times didn't either. The tearing occurs both in my Sims 3 folder for playing and my Sims 3 folder for CAW. I actually also had to buy a new graphics card at one point this year due to another game and even that didn't change anything. I've been trying to look for an answer myself and was actually going to make a new thread about it once I had more time in my hands but you beat me to it.

About the beds... the one I use the most and has this problem is the Nebula Five Platform Bed.

Edit: I just remembered I had a pic from France, a lousy pic but nevertheless
Senior Moderator
Original Poster
#3 Old 1st Nov 2020 at 4:54 PM
Hey thanks for your reply!
That's really strange, that it just seems to have happened from nowhere. I haven't been playing much recently, so it's possible that the tearing is also in other places for me too though I couldn't see it in other objects like chairs, but I do wonder if it's something that gets worse? At least it's not a graphics card issue I suppose 
I did test it twice with a newly generated sims 3 folder, and I couldn't see any tearing, at least not in the beds that were affected before, so maybe that is some sort of fix?
Maybe it's the sim-universe imploding :P
Alchemist
#4 Old 1st Nov 2020 at 5:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by zoe22
Maybe it's the sim-universe imploding :P

That's actually what I was starting to think after awhile, that somehow the game itself had just started to crumble due to it's "old" age. For me this tearing has been around for so long now that I just started to treat it more as a feature of the game than as a glitch, I guess.
Senior Moderator
Original Poster
#6 Old 1st Nov 2020 at 9:33 PM
I deleted the 5 cache files in The Sims 3 folder each time I loaded the game to test it after removing something or other. And I also did test it in an entirely new world, in fact both times I noticed it was when I had just loaded up a new world to look at. So it's definitely not a save file thing. Though like I said, starting a new sims 3 folder meant the beds that I noticed with the problem no longer had it, so I thought it must be something something in my game folder, but removing Packages, DCCache, Library etc didn't help so I'm not sure where the problem file would be if it is a problem file that's causing it.
Alchemist
#7 Old 1st Nov 2020 at 11:07 PM
I agree with Zoe22. Deleting cache files does nothing and the problem persist even in new games with clean Sims 3 folder. And the funny part is that the glitch doesn't stick to a certain object, like certain bed. Like the Nebula bed I mentioned... today it seemed fine in my game - when usually it's not - and other two beds were infected, so it kinda jumps, I guess. I also noticed it in a cheap outdoor wall light today, as well.

Senior Moderator
Original Poster
#9 Old 2nd Nov 2020 at 10:33 AM Last edited by zoe22 : 2nd Nov 2020 at 10:58 AM.
I play in windowed mode. When I tested it with a new game folder, it was in fullscreen, but also seemed fine in windowed there too. I can't remember what resolution I usually use right now though.
I have noticed in Task Manager that I often seem to have a lot of RAM taken up with small Windows processes and such. Even with having Chrome open, it does increase the RAM usage but not significantly. With all programs closed, it stays up to like 40%. 
So that's probably something I need to look into...
I haven't really had issues with error 12 or RAM being completely taken up with sims open so I haven't been thinking about RAM being a problem before.

Thanks for the help

edit: I disabled some start-up programs and re started my game and now it says 4833MB free memory in the device config log so hopefully that's enough. The problem was still there with the beds though
Alchemist
#10 Old 2nd Nov 2020 at 10:54 AM Last edited by Sorceress Supreme : 11th Nov 2020 at 1:12 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
are you also using a Nvidia? Also what resolutions are you guys running? And is it windowed or fullscreen?

Yes, I'm currently using Nvidia card but before the change I had Radeon card and I am always playing with fullscreen, never windowed. The resolution is 1920x1080. I added the DeviceConfig below. Should've done that before, really.

Edit: I noticed that the DeviceConfig says Windows 8, even though I'm using Windows 10. Odd. (Hmm, I guess that's normal, though)
Alchemist
#12 Old 2nd Nov 2020 at 3:33 PM Last edited by Sorceress Supreme : 2nd Nov 2020 at 4:35 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
Did you have the glitch with the Radeon?

I usually play in windowed mode, can you verify if the problem is there?

I'm not entirely sure you guys have the same problem though, it might be different. Having this tear in objects is one thing, but you have it in the France world where it appears to be in the walls. That is just weird. I'll try to make a trip to France next time I have a chance.

Just checked and yes, the tear is there in windowed mode, as well, in the same asian bed that was in my earlier post. The tearing was happening also when I still had the Radeon card and I kinda had hoped that switching the card might help. Of course, the tearing doesn't really affect the normal gameplay that much, so I've learned to live with it. You'll only notice it here and there sometimes.

I've never had tearing in any world, custom or EA. The France wall thing is the only one and happened once awhile ago. I still can't see or find anything similar in the world I play currently. It's usually just some objects.
Senior Moderator
Original Poster
#14 Old 2nd Nov 2020 at 9:27 PM
From this time, the beds that were affected I think were consistent. Last time I noticed it (before I thought I had fixed it by removing the cc bed) I think it may have affected all beds though I'm not sure. One difference that I am pretty sure of is that last time the single beds were also more obviously affected. They had a longer tear. Whereas when I checked a couple of single beds this time they only had small tears that were harder to see. So I dunno I might have a go at repairing or reinstalling when I have some more time. Appreciate your thoughts! 
Senior Moderator
Original Poster
#15 Old 28th Jan 2021 at 5:36 PM Last edited by zoe22 : 28th Jan 2021 at 5:56 PM.
Just wanted to update this, as I started a new sims 3 folder and just today noticed the same problem with the same beds. I have added my mods back and some cc, so I'm not sure if that's what causes it permanently, or if it starts for some other reason, or if it was there from the beginning but I just couldn't see it for some reason.
Either way, it's pretty annoying that I can't fix it by starting a new folder, though I suppose it makes sense if that's what happened for Sorceress Supreme :P
Though I still haven't noticed it in other places and it also seems to be affecting the same beds as last time.

EDIT: I just figured out what it was! I started a brand new folder again with just the options file the same to see if it might be mods/cc, and the problem was still there. Then I thought maybe it's a graphics setting thing, and that's why I didn't see it when I first started a new folder - I changed the edge smoothing to Off and the tearing goes away!
I know that yours seem to affect things differently, @Sorceress Supreme but maybe this will also fix it for you?
Alchemist
#16 Old 28th Jan 2021 at 8:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by zoe22
EDIT: I just figured out what it was! I started a brand new folder again with just the options file the same to see if it might be mods/cc, and the problem was still there. Then I thought maybe it's a graphics setting thing, and that's why I didn't see it when I first started a new folder - I changed the edge smoothing to Off and the tearing goes away!
I know that yours seem to affect things differently, @Sorceress Supreme but maybe this will also fix it for you?

I'm on my way to bed but I'll test it tomorrow and report back. Interesting.
Senior Moderator
Original Poster
#18 Old 29th Jan 2021 at 12:38 AM
I mean i haven't tested extensively with all beds, but as soon as I turned it off, the very noticeable tear went way, turned it on to low/medium/high and the tear was back, so I think it was the edge smoothing...
I believe my gpu drivers are up to date, I updated them recently actually and this has been going on for quite a while so I don't imagine that's the problem. 

I'll look into the Intel ones tomorrow, never thought about those :P

And thanks for the link! I'll check that out soon  
I'm just glad that I can at least get rid of the horrible tears, hopefully they won't show up again anyway! 
Alchemist
#19 Old 29th Jan 2021 at 10:13 AM
Okay, did some testing and yes, the tearing goes away when edge smoothing is turned off. I never would have thought of that. Weird. Also, why only some beds, lamps, etc are effected but not all? Anyway, I can't play without edge smoothing, so I'll have to keep ignoring the problem or use the Nvidia's own AA setting. Thank you for that info, Nitromon.
Inventor
#20 Old 15th Feb 2021 at 1:39 PM
What setting would I have to apply in Nvidea panel if I also want to change it? Antialicing - mode on override game options? And what setting? 2x 4x or 8x?
Inventor
#22 Old 15th Feb 2021 at 11:25 PM
I cant find Texture Filtering - LOD Bias (DX), is it also in Nvidea Control Panel? The thing that sounds a bit like it is texture filtering negative lod bias, but that only has option to default, allow or clamp.
Inventor
#24 Old 16th Feb 2021 at 12:15 AM
Thanks for explaining it so well
Seam is gone and my game seems to be running better too, but maybe I'm just imagining things haha. (using settings that were under 2x)
Page 1 of 2