Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Mar 2021 at 1:59 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Some hair & outfits are overly vibrant or white?
Everything else in my game so far looks fine. I am now running on a nvidia geforce gtx 1650 card and I've noticed this strange graphic glitch on some hair and clothes. Some hair is all or partially vibrant and has some thick white border around their hairline. Some outfits make the sims skin from the neck down completely white. I've attached a picture for an example.

In bodyshop the hair and clothes are fine, and in the mirror in CAS its fine until I turn the sim. I turned all my graphics settings low and reflections off to see if it made a difference but the glitch stayed regardless. I use the graphics rules maker, I don't use any lighting mods. Has anyone else had this problem or could help me understand what may be going on? I was looking forward to playing the Sims 2 on my new computer and so disappointed in this graphic issue. Any help would be appreciated!
Screenshots
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 6th Mar 2021 at 3:42 AM
Looks like you have the fun graphic card issue called the "you have to fix all your self-illuminated meshes to make them work" bug - also known as the "bright CAS item issue".

I wrote about the issue here (and a few other places in the help area)
https://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=652790

Basically, add the bolded line to the third line in all mesh groups for hairs that have this issue and are missing the line. (under "Comments" for each group in Milkshape - not sure how to fix it in Blender or if it's possible to fix it directly in SimPE - I wish! )

ModelName:
Opacity:
HasTangentArray:
NumSkinWgts:

(Don't edit the info for the other lines, they'll all have something written in them. The line you're adding should be empty after the : )

And no, there isn't an easier fix (maybe the DXVK, but I'm not sure if it actually solves anything, because I've noticed the meshes that now light up are meshes I had issues with on an older Nvidia card - they had lighting issues but didn't light up, just didn't always light up properly when supposed to)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 7th Mar 2021 at 5:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Looks like you have the fun graphic card issue called the "you have to fix all your self-illuminated meshes to make them work" bug - also known as the "bright CAS item issue".

I wrote about the issue here (and a few other places in the help area)
https://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=652790

Basically, add the bolded line to the third line in all mesh groups for hairs that have this issue and are missing the line. (under "Comments" for each group in Milkshape - not sure how to fix it in Blender or if it's possible to fix it directly in SimPE - I wish! )

ModelName:
Opacity:
HasTangentArray:
NumSkinWgts:

(Don't edit the info for the other lines, they'll all have something written in them. The line you're adding should be empty after the : )

And no, there isn't an easier fix (maybe the DXVK, but I'm not sure if it actually solves anything, because I've noticed the meshes that now light up are meshes I had issues with on an older Nvidia card - they had lighting issues but didn't light up, just didn't always light up properly when supposed to)

Thank you for your reply. I am a complete noob to Milkshape and am unsure if how to add that line into mesh groups. :/ I guess I have a lot to learn before I resolve this issue. Thanks for the info and pointing me in the right direction.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 7th Mar 2021 at 6:48 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 7th Mar 2021 at 6:59 PM.
The nice thing about this is that you don't need to know anything about meshing (although it can be an advantage, because some old meshes do have more problems than just this one), just a few basic things in SimPE and Milkshape, mainly how to get around, and a bit of copy/pasta.

Here's a very quick single-picture tutorial of what to do in Milkshape, in case you or someone else needs it.

(Replacing meshes in Milkshape is how you do it for any GMDC/CAS mesh, so if you need pictures or a better explanation, most CAS tutorials show how - it's basically just right-clicking and choosing the proper option)

(text to copy)
HasTangentArray:
Screenshots
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 10th Mar 2021 at 4:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
The nice thing about this is that you don't need to know anything about meshing (although it can be an advantage, because some old meshes do have more problems than just this one), just a few basic things in SimPE and Milkshape, mainly how to get around, and a bit of copy/pasta.

Here's a very quick single-picture tutorial of what to do in Milkshape, in case you or someone else needs it.

(Replacing meshes in Milkshape is how you do it for any GMDC/CAS mesh, so if you need pictures or a better explanation, most CAS tutorials show how - it's basically just right-clicking and choosing the proper option)

(text to copy)
HasTangentArray:

Thank you for the clear layout! Only thing is I can't even seem to be able to open any meshes in milkshape as I dont know how and file>open or import doesn't seem to work
Mad Poster
#6 Old 10th Mar 2021 at 5:13 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 10th Mar 2021 at 5:26 PM.
When exporting from SimPE you get two files (both ending in ".5gd" where one is a XML document. Give the file(s) a name, they'll be given the same name - don't rename either of them after this. Keep both files)

File --> Import --> Sims 2 Unimesh Import V.4 09A
(click the .5gd file)

When you later export,

File --> Export --> Sims 2 Unimesh Export V.4 09A
Save the file and give it a name (you get a ".simpe" file)

Right-click the GMDC in SimPE. "Replace" with the ".simpe" file.
(I usually copy the original "filename" first, then replace the file, then paste in the name - I like to keep the name the same)
Then click "commit", and save.