Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Nov 2008 at 1:54 AM
Default Why do The Sims games have such huge issues with anything diagonal?
Why is it that this game hates anything diagonal so much?

You need seperate/special meshes, textures and everything just to put doors, windows, curtains etc on a diagonal wall (and so they actually look like they're supposed to).

And you can't even place pools or objects diagonally at all unless you buy Nightlife. And only if you use cheats. AND most items aren't even usable when placed diagonally.

What in the world? I don't see why it has so many problems?
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 20th Nov 2008 at 2:29 AM
As far as I know, a special diagonal mesh is only required for doors and windows, not furniture, and a special texture is never required. Also, I believe there's a custom object that will do 45-degree rotations in the base game.

And diagonal pools/walls/foundations/doors/windows don't require cheats at all.

Original Poster
#3 Old 20th Nov 2008 at 3:19 AM
Yeah but the diagonal pools still require that damned "expansion pack"...

And I've tried using objects that are supposed to all 45 degree rotation w/ basegame but they do not work.
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 20th Nov 2008 at 10:58 PM
In normal circumstances, diagonal is off by default, if it was 100% supported, it would sure to be an option instead of entering the command in the console box.

So its there to be used at its own risk, not everything works diagonally, I've noticed I have difficultly trying to get sims to sit down on the diagonally couch to watch their diagonally TV, but always as usual they will prefer to stand up and watch a digonally TV.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 21st Nov 2008 at 7:23 PM
I had problems with diagonal doors on houses I've downloaded. Most of them don't work. Either the sims can't walk through them or else they can walk through but not back out again meaning they get stuck in rooms. It's so annoying. Now I automatically delete any houses I download which are like that.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 22nd Nov 2008 at 10:31 AM
One of the EPs, either Seasons or BV, got more strictier the way you build things, if a window or door is in a awkard position, the entire window/door gets blocked, such as you only see the door/window frame, but no sunlight coming thur, which can make older tricky lots, built with the base game or a few of the earlier EPs unplayable.

And myself, I can never place diagonally doors, even with allow 45 degree and also snapobjectstogrid.

Well done to the people that can do it.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#7 Old 22nd Nov 2008 at 11:36 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ConradThe2nd
And myself, I can never place diagonally doors, even with allow 45 degree and also snapobjectstogrid.

That's because you have to turn the snapobjects cheat -off- for diagonal doors and windows to pop onto the wall.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.