Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th May 2020 at 3:48 PM
Default So, anyone else running The Sims 2 on Linux?
I was surprised how easy the set up was with Lutris and DXVK, I think the only tweak I needed was to disable VKD3D as it caused minor glitches. I knew Linux install pre-DXVK was tricky, with custom patches and limitations, but so far TS2 proved to be one of the easier games I ever set up, minor inconveniences aside, and is more stable for me than it ever was on actual Windows boxes.

The minor inconveniences are more about me not knowing Lutris all that well, I wish I could make things like Paladin's HCDU launchable by a shortcut without manually browsing for the exe (PlayOnLinux had that option but can't find it here.) Installing lots can be a bit tricky too (opening console, launching Wine's explorer.exe and browsing the Z: drive for the packages isnt exactly user-friendly, but I can live with that.)

Edit: The exact version I'm running is Double Deluxe (got it in a British supermarket's bargain bin a while back) with all the EPs, M&G and some other SPs installed from the DVDs, not the complete collection.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 8th May 2020 at 2:46 AM
I'm trying, but it doesn't want to load for me. What is DXVK?

I'm trying to run the Ultimate Collection. Origin runs fine, but the game itself won't load.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 8th May 2020 at 3:14 AM Last edited by ac220 : 8th May 2020 at 3:46 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Lady L.

I'm trying to run the Ultimate Collection. Origin runs fine, but the game itself won't load.

Without getting too technical, DXVK is a replacement for the original Wine implementation of DirectX, it's faster and has more features.

As I said, it went easy for me just the current DVD install script worked fine, with just minor tweaks.

Anyway, here are my runner settings:
Wine version: lutris_5.6-2-X86_64
DXVK enabled
VKD3D disabled (had to do it manually,)
everything else left at defaults.
Winetricks libraries: d3dcompiler_43, d3dx9, mfc42 (+manually installed vb6run, it is only needed for paladin's hack conflict detector)

There are also some issues with newer video cards not being recognised (I ran into it with the Origin install of TS3, but, oddly enough, not here.) and an issue with you needing to install some package dependencies that normally are only in the staging version of Wine (I did that ages ago for other stuff, so no idea if it's the issue.)

ADD: also actually only have 4 GB on my Linux box, so I can't say if having more does or doesn't matter.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 10th May 2020 at 4:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Lady L.

Oh, and nearly forgot: In Origin itself you need to disable Origin-in-game (Steam Overlay-like thingie) as it apparently doesn't work in Wine at all and crashes games on load.

Sorry for late reply, hope you made it work already
Test Subject
#5 Old 13th May 2020 at 10:39 PM
I remember around 2 years ago when I ran Linux full-time Sims 2 was considered "Garbage" in emulation terms, not really able to be played. So it's good to hear it actually works now. Might have to give it a whirl.