Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Gunmod's Radiance Light System 2.2 BETA RC1

by Chocolate Pi Posted 22nd Feb 2006 at 3:46 AM - Updated 16th May 2009 at 10:24 AM by Numenor : Updated info and links

392 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 391 Feedback Posts
Page 2 of 16
Test Subject
#26 Old 27th Feb 2006 at 1:03 AM
@ jaxad0127: Thanks heaps, like i said, im no programmer :P

@ chocolate pi: as i said before, the mod is great, and i love the pool water, but im having problems with the house shadow not blending properly with object shadows (it 'bleeds' over them) which make my flowers look very strange. This is with all my graphics settings on high, too any ideas?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#27 Old 27th Feb 2006 at 2:55 AM
I've seen this too... and have zero idea as how to resolve it. Anyone?
Object(ive) Investigator
retired moderator
#28 Old 27th Feb 2006 at 5:44 AM
That may be a Maxis limitation.

Please don't PM me with questions. Post them in the appropriate thread.
Test Subject
#29 Old 27th Feb 2006 at 12:32 PM
I think i've found the problem! it's the userstartup.cheat file... it isn't needed! i tried running the game without the file, and it works fine. i think it had something to do with the cheat 'boolprop UseShaders false' the pool water still looks fantastic and the rest of the mod works as it should, including your changes

But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.
- William Butler Yeats 'Aedh Wishes For The Clothes Of Heaven'
Lab Assistant
#30 Old 27th Feb 2006 at 2:30 PM
i noticed a decrease in system performance with 2.2 RC1 compared to 2.1.

what is not very realistic for me is that light on daytime only comes through the windows that are on the "sunside" and windows on other side not let any light in.

than i noticed that when using the radial menu on things or other sims, the head inside the radial menu is black, inventory items are black, when changing the hair or makeup of a sim i only see black and when making photos with the photo machine on nightlife lots they come out black. and even some more black item issues.

btw,removing the userstartup.cheat file changes nothing for me.
and the RTS-Shaders file has definitly no censor remove like someone said it this thread before.

for me the 2.2 RC1 is too dark overall. on comunity lots in the night its hard to find other sims or recognize them. if it not gets a bit brighter again in future releases i will stay with 2.1 i think only using the RTS-Shaders file for better water. but i will of course test the 2.2 release out again in a more advanced phase.
Lab Assistant
#31 Old 28th Feb 2006 at 6:50 AM
one quick question:
I uninstalled the previous version before installing this.
Did i need to keep that installed before installing this?

forever and ever....amen.
Scholar
#32 Old 28th Feb 2006 at 10:15 AM
i haven't noticed any major problems with this. no blck faces inside pie menus or suchlike. the more subtle transition of the dusk and dawn lighting is nice too and the dusk lighting seems less obvious. overall i like it
i can't make use of the waves in the pool as my card doesn't have the capabilities, but everything else seems ok so far, that i've noticed
thanks for taking this up, it's one of my favourite adaptations to the game
Object(ive) Investigator
retired moderator
#33 Old 28th Feb 2006 at 4:15 PM
contessa, each version should override the previous versions, so you shouldn;t have to uninstall to upgrade. Any excpetions will be noted in their download post.

Lab Assistant
#34 Old 28th Feb 2006 at 11:40 PM
I meant that I had already uninstalled the previous version before installing this.
Did I need to keep the previous before installing this?

forever and ever....amen.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#35 Old 1st Mar 2006 at 12:45 AM
No need to uninstall or reinstall; it overwrites your old files anyway, so it is the same if you have them or not.

I'll check on that userstartup file.
Lab Assistant
#36 Old 1st Mar 2006 at 6:40 AM
Hi, I think its a very well done Mod, only problem is WHen I put the shader in my downloads folder, it causes entering a house to go on and on and on, and I am never able t0 enters a house, it just loads, I let it go for a whole hour, and I was still not able to enter a house. I took out the shader file from my downloads, and I was able to enter the house, everything does appear to be more clear, more sharp. I would like to know how to get the effects with the water, as mine have remained the same. And Im thinkin that not having the shader has somethin to do with it. Im using Nvidia GEforce FX 5200. Any idea? wonderful job the ingame photos look beautiful.

Sarcasm is the KEY to living a long and enjoyable life.
Lab Assistant
#37 Old 1st Mar 2006 at 6:44 AM Last edited by misshazeleyed : 1st Mar 2006 at 7:21 AM. Reason: FIXED
Oh and, what all does the start up cheat do? Does it just enable boolprop testingcheats? If so, then I already have a small prog in my game for that so maybe that is the reason , maybe they canceled eachother out. Maybe I will remove start up cheat temporarily, and see what happens.

EDIT: Removed the user start up cheat file, and when I went into the neighborhood, before entering into a house, I made sure that boolprop testingcheats were enabled, so that any errors with any other hacks in my game could be acknowledged, and dismissed so I was able to get into the house
THIS IS AWESOME, thanks a bunch to all involved

Instructor
#38 Old 1st Mar 2006 at 12:24 PM
The only needed line from the startup file is
boolprop UseShaders false

Everything else is disabled or fluff.
Lab Assistant
#39 Old 1st Mar 2006 at 3:08 PM
oh dear it was my failure with the black pie menus and such !

while backing up the light folders, WinRAR had the option enabled to delete everything after compression. after compress i copied the 2.2 files in the lights folder and started the game without the LightRigs and objects folders which have the light-definitions for things like pie menu, inventory, simthumbnails etc inside.

now i did it right today and started the game and everything looks good now,
so just ignore my above please... i will only post again if i find any "real" problems with the mod now ;o)
Lab Assistant
#40 Old 1st Mar 2006 at 8:02 PM
Hi again, I was wondering something else, Im assuming the shader file is the one that makes the pool the way it is. What Im wondering is if that file will work with the previous version of this mod. The shading is just a tad bit darker than I'd like. So .. will I be able to use the shader which manipulates the pool water, and use the previous mod's text files for the lighting? thanks in advance

Test Subject
#41 Old 2nd Mar 2006 at 10:23 AM
does it work with open for business?

check my simpage for stuff like halflife 2 sims and my WSF robot! : click!!
Object(ive) Investigator
retired moderator
#42 Old 2nd Mar 2006 at 3:20 PM
It should be fine. The buisness districts aren't included of course, but it should be fine.

Lab Assistant
#43 Old 2nd Mar 2006 at 6:10 PM
I have one crit, its way too dark i cant see anything at all and i accidently dleted my backed up files so i am stuck with it
Object(ive) Investigator
retired moderator
#44 Old 2nd Mar 2006 at 6:14 PM
If you look in GunMod's thread here: http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=101456, he has Maxis' lighting files avaliable for download.

Lab Assistant
#45 Old 2nd Mar 2006 at 6:48 PM
oh thank you Jaxad0127
Test Subject
#46 Old 2nd Mar 2006 at 7:07 PM
There is no more glowing objects since I installed the mod... Wow, this mod makes the gameplay better after enabling pixel shader 2.

=p
#47 Old 3rd Mar 2006 at 1:08 AM Last edited by MqsDeSade : 3rd Mar 2006 at 1:10 AM. Reason: spelling
So far this looks great. I tested this on my clean install of "The Sims 2". I did notice some strange shadow behaviors though, Trees next to windows weren't throwing shadows on the grass. And sims didn't seem to throw shadows at all. But I can live with that.

I was wondering about compatibility with "Smart Lights 2". Gun mod in this thread says not to use 2.1 with smart lights 2 but never states what the outcome will be if you do (an irritating little behavior that devs seem to have). :bandit:

I couldn't find "Smart Lights 2", even thought I was sure I had downloaded it before I did find this one I have tried that and it seems to work fine, at least there don't appear to be any issues yet.

To any modder that might be reading this please when you say not to use two mods together, tell us why so we know what to look for in compatibility testing.
#48 Old 3rd Mar 2006 at 1:12 AM
Oh by the way could you possibly add that wave effect to the pond/default lot water?
Lab Assistant
#49 Old 4th Mar 2006 at 10:53 AM
Chocolate - I just installed the Radiance System ( I love the effects!!) But my own indoor two storey light now will not work indoors (because it was based on an outdoor light, I presume. Could you please have a look and see what needs to be changed to correct this? Thanks

http://forums.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=135440

I live vicariously through my Sims. This is a sad reflection on my life and theirs.
Scholar
#50 Old 4th Mar 2006 at 11:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Warlord
does it work with open for business?

works fine for me with OfB
the only thing i have found is a slight hang when the light changes, which never happened before but this could just be ny less than perfect graphics card
Page 2 of 16