Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Inventor
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Jan 2021 at 6:00 PM Last edited by Ladysimplayer8 : 12th Feb 2021 at 5:06 PM.
Default Kitchen Sink Problem
I have just made my first sink and delighted that it works on Sims2 counters.

So I have now moved on to making counters and happy to report that objects can be placed on top of my new counter.
The problem is sinks are not displaying correctly - whether it is my new sink or Maxis sinks - only the top rim and taps can be seen but not the sink basin part.
I have tried searching the forum for problems with sinks but no one seems to have had this issue before.

At the time of creation, I did not change any slot information from the counter I cloned (Chiclettina "Fjord" Counter).
From a guide I think to place items on top of the counter is '4' in column 17 and should be Container.
For placements of sinks on the counter is '9' in column 17 and should be Target; so I changed the row with '9' in column 17 from Container to Target and the sink ended up on the floor??
Naturally I changed it right back!
Should I have changed something else about the slot information?
Thank you in advance for any advice you can offer!
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 10th Jan 2021 at 9:55 AM
Re-read Numenor's post for his counter clone templates for an explanation of why this happens with custom cabinets. Evidently, there is a bug in the game that causes sink placement problems if you change anything on the top plane of your countertop.

We have been stuck too long with "New Mesh" as the apex of creation.
_ WesHowe
Inventor
Original Poster
#3 Old 10th Jan 2021 at 2:45 PM Last edited by Ladysimplayer8 : 10th Jan 2021 at 9:29 PM. Reason: Update.
Quote: Originally posted by d4RE
Re-read Numenor's post for his counter clone templates for an explanation of why this happens with custom cabinets. Evidently, there is a bug in the game that causes sink placement problems if you change anything on the top plane of your countertop.

Hello d4re,
Thank you for replying.
Although I had done some research into counters to have a heads up on problems, I was aware of the counter templates and had read the tutorial by Numenor.
I have made one island counter which did not have a matching counter, so I did not use Numenor's counter templates on that occasion; evidently I have forgotten the warning about changing the countertop!

I will have another go at trying to get this sink to be situated correctly.
Thanks again
Ladysimplayer8

Update Tonight I have retried making the counter a few times without updating the countertop but every time the basin of the sink does not show on the counter and when I place an appliance in the counter e.g. dishwasher, it reverts to the original countertop shape. (My counter's worktop is level and flat.) I will have another try tomorrow.
Instructor
#4 Old 11th Jan 2021 at 10:06 PM Last edited by d4RE : 11th Jan 2021 at 10:10 PM. Reason: forgot sumpn
Quote:
Update Tonight I have retried making the counter a few times without updating the countertop but every time the basin of the sink does not show on the counter and when I place an appliance in the counter e.g. dishwasher, it reverts to the original countertop shape. (My counter's worktop is level and flat.) I will have another try tomorrow.

Any chance you made changes to the UV mapping of the countertop? That can also cause the problem.

I think to use a new texture, you have to make the existing mesh's UV map fit it AS IS (edit the texture instead of the UV map), or maybe create a new plane slightly overlapping it to pick up your texture.

_ WesHowe
Inventor
Original Poster
#5 Old 12th Jan 2021 at 1:18 PM
Any chance you made changes to the UV mapping of the countertop? That can also cause the problem.

I think to use a new texture, you have to make the existing mesh's UV map fit it AS IS (edit the texture instead of the UV map), or maybe create a new plane slightly overlapping it to pick up your texture.

Hello d4RE,
Thank you for more suggestions.
You may or may not be aware, I am converting Sims3 item meshes downloaded from TSR Workshop.
Unfortunately, this counter and counter top come in one group, rather than split into two parts - I think this is why it is not working.
I don't have any experience of creating an object from scratch so don't know much about editing the UV map to remove the counter top from the counter, but I will have a look to see if there is any tutorials on how to do this.

Thanks again
Ladysimplayer8
Instructor
#6 Old 13th Jan 2021 at 11:33 PM
oooh... I think you may just need to import the sims 3 mesh into Blender or milkshape as "counterfinish" and import the "countertop" GMDC .obj from the counter you are cloning. Delete the parts of your counterfinish mesh that correspond to the countertop. Make any adjustments you need to the counterfinish mesh to fit it to the countertop from the game counter, then export only the counterfinish mesh into your package.

Here's a good tutorial: https://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=104795
There are instructions for milkshape, wings, and blender. The blender version has good info on how to set your export settings to only export certain parts (counterfinish) of your project to SimPE. (at least I think this is the one -if it's the one written by Lethe)

Then , when you map your countertop to your new texture, make any adjustments to the texture file instead of to the UV map.

_ WesHowe
Inventor
Original Poster
#7 Old 12th Feb 2021 at 5:06 PM
oooh... I think you may just need to import the sims 3 mesh into Blender or milkshape as "counterfinish" and import the "countertop" GMDC .obj from the counter you are cloning. Delete the parts of your counterfinish mesh that correspond to the countertop. Make any adjustments you need to the counterfinish mesh to fit it to the countertop from the game counter, then export only the counterfinish mesh into your package.

Here's a good tutorial: https://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=104795
There are instructions for milkshape, wings, and blender. The blender version has good info on how to set your export settings to only export certain parts (counterfinish) of your project to SimPE. (at least I think this is the one -if it's the one written by Lethe)

Then , when you map your countertop to your new texture, make any adjustments to the texture file instead of to the UV map.

@d4RE
Just to let you know I did manage to sort out the sink issue.
I learned how to regroup the mesh and separate it into counter and countertop. I then only changed my new counter for the various counter e.g. corner etc in GMDC leaving the original countertop and the sink fits in fine.
Now all I need to do is change the texture of the countertop (fingers crossed).