Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#22901 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 4:39 PM
Quotes from Amazon user review:
Quote:

* The presence of bros in any form and the fact that this game seems to have taken any sense of quirky fun from the original games out and replaced it with "Weirder Stories" all of which seem to revolve around promoting being LGBT as weird, fat as weird, nerdy as weird, or an ethnic or racial minority as weird.
* The WASPization of historically ethnic Sims families such as the Caliente Sisters (now Northern European with a mother named Katrina instead of Middle Eastern with a mother named Nighat), and Bella Bachelor-Goth (now pale Northern European coloring instead of the darker olive S2 skintone she has always had to reflect Greek/Mediterranean family background).

Those two points have really made me think that I'm going to pass on this reiteration of the game altogether. Along with the missing content; it just seems disrespectful to now basically whitewash predominately known characters who happened to be ethnic.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#22902 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 4:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by StopUsingMyUsername
I watched in horror as the new SimCity laid waste to the series, and once again having to wait for a worthy successor to the 10-year old SimCity 4. And now that the same thing is happening with the Sims 4 to many people, including me.

You've probably heard about the upcoming Cites:Skylines sim, but you might be interested in a transcript of their recent AMA on reddit if you haven't seen it already: http://www.skylinescity.com/2014/08...ama-transcript/.

Looks promising, but of course we've heard other developers talk a good story this far before release, only to have the results come up somewhat short.
Inventor
#22903 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 4:43 PM
I have two questions:
1. what are the cheats? I tried using testingcheatsenabled true and testingcheats true and both didn't work.
2. How do you change the wall height?
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
Original Poster
#22904 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 4:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Arisuka
Omigod YASS, do it do it doitdoitdoit...!! I'm already seeing it:

As soon as I obtain TS4, I think I will... somehow, despite adding 16 hours a week to my already full plate. *wince* It might be so horribad it's fun.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Scholar
#22905 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 4:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by JLove69

Those two points have really made me think that I'm going to pass on this reiteration of the game altogether. Along with the missing content; it just seems disrespectful to now basically whitewash predominately known characters who happened to be ethnic.
I like whoever made that review.

Heh, if their whitewashing trend continues.. wonder what Pancake Bob's gonna look like in Sims 6 :/

“I MAY BE A HOGWARTS STUDENT" Hargirid paused angrily. "BUT I AM ALSO A SATANIST!”
Falco - The original Prombat
Scholar
#22906 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 4:44 PM

Hey you read my review- thanks
Scholar
#22907 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 4:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Deestar
Oh, that was you?
Well, you're awesome

“I MAY BE A HOGWARTS STUDENT" Hargirid paused angrily. "BUT I AM ALSO A SATANIST!”
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#22908 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 4:45 PM
I think I will wait till everyone has had it a week, then ask whether it is an upgrade from TS1, 2 or 3, all of which I already have. If it is a truly upgraded experience I will consider purchasing it.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Field Researcher
#22909 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 4:47 PM
I'm still holding out for the first EP to buy it, honestly. What people have said so far intrigues me, but I ain't about that base game-only life.

I am not pretty. I am not beautiful. I am as radiant as the sun.

coming soon to a tumblr near you:
The Disney 10-Gen Legacy Challenge
Hunger Games Challenge
Forum Resident
#22910 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 4:48 PM
With all the venting and ranting put aside. I personally have watched countless Let's Plays, analyzed pictures, and even went on Origin and considered downloading. But I couldn't, because I don't see anything NEW.... Yes the sims do seem a little smarter. A little... I haven't seen anything that has honestly wowed me!!! I need some Wow factor. It may come when some expansion packs are added to it. But despite The Sims 3 shortcomings, I was wowed when I first started playing that game. Open world and story progression (before it got REALLY messed up), was impressive. CAS was really impressive. Cars, jobs, (especially when Ambitious came out) were impressive to me. I never had a problem with the RH's. My only problem was the mechanics of it, the fact that EA built such a weak engine for a game that clearly needed something stronger. Not the gameplay itself. So I KNOW I'm not jumping fence from Sims 3. I'm still not sold on this game at all.
Test Subject
#22911 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 4:52 PM

You're welcome. Really great review and was very helpful to forming my opinion of the game (along with the other posts in this thread). Nothing seems to be new in the base version and I don't understand the need to promote people of different ethnicity or sexual orientation as "weird, ugly, fat" etc. It's really discouraging to see that happening as someone that's a casual gamer and isn't well-versed on everything that's been happening since the formal announcement and the actual release of the game.
Theorist
#22912 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 4:53 PM
Well, I officially have the game in my possession, as we speak it's currently downloading. If you guys have any questions about anything I'll try and find an answer (I'll have my game windowed and this tabbed).

Also, expect a review from me by Tuesday of next week, it's gonna be a long week of playing and taking notes on the game!

P.S. The two discs thing confuses me as to why that is necessary. However I'm installing via Origin, my computer has no disk drive so, hooray?

EDIT: I forgot a HUGE tip! if anyone is on the fence about buying, or considering buying but afraid you will not like the game and are under the impression that EA's 24 hr return is too limited (which it is for a game such as, Sims), Target gives you 30 days from the day you buy the game to return it! That should be more than enough time to make a decision.
Scholar
#22913 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 4:54 PM
Question for lovcat (and others with the game) - Are there any LGBT premade families?

Theorist
#22914 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 4:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by TotallyJW
Question for lovcat (and others with the game) - Are there any LGBT premade families?

I'll take a peek and get back to you.

I have coffee so I'm in this for a good 30 minutes or so before I pass out. lol

Edit - Not that I can see, but I've been playing the game for a while. Mortimer Goth died at one point, but the Pancake family... untouched. Wat?
Instructor
#22915 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 4:56 PM
It seems a lot of people have actually decided to give the game a try. I hope you all have fun with it!

I haven't watched any gameplay videos or anything yet. I've just been reading what some of you think, and the pictures you have posted -mainly of the glitches- and that's kept me entertained for now. What I did watch was a video on the kids in CAS, and oh my god, they are sooo adorable! I almost felt like playing the game just to have a bunch of kids running around the house.

I'm really not excited for the game, which is a shame. I just can't shake it off, all of the missing features; some of them so basic, yet so essential. I still want to like this game, and I might, if they ever bring the good stuff back. Right now, I'm just not dying to pay for it. Not worth the price, in my opinion. I'd definitely get it if it was cheaper.
Scholar
#22916 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 5:00 PM
Anyone with the game - re: the resize cheat, is it only objects in the Buy catalog you can resize or can you use it on flowers, shrubs, trees, etc...?
Just curious.... *whistles*

...Titanium white...
Scholar
#22917 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 5:01 PM
You're welcome. Really great review and was very helpful to forming my opinion of the game (along with the other posts in this thread). Nothing seems to be new in the base version and I don't understand the need to promote people of different ethnicity or sexual orientation as "weird, ugly, fat" etc. It's really discouraging to see that happening as someone that's a casual gamer and isn't well-versed on everything that's been happening since the formal announcement and the actual release of the game.

Your welcome, I am sad my cost benefit analysis for this game did not land on the benefit side- - Honestly, I am hoping that with expansions and stuff packs my mind gets changed just as it did with Sims 3 .. if you read my review of Sims 3, it is just as critical of the base game as I am of Sims 4 but with expansions like Island Paradise and the fact we got horses with Pets this time ,, I am a little less bitter about it. Still not happy with pudding but it can be dealt with. I don't have much hope for Sims 4 at this point. Unfortunately my sister got out 2 hours to late to cancel her pre-order with Amazon and will not get out of work tonight early enough to meet the Origin 24 hour guarantee so she is stuck with the game.
Scholar
#22918 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 5:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lovcat
Edit - Not that I can see, but I've been playing the game for a while. Mortimer Goth died at one point, but the Pancake family... untouched. Wat?
Ah, okay, that's a shame :/ Thanks for the quick answer

Theorist
#22919 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 5:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Enjoji
Anyone with the game - re: the resize cheat, is it only objects in the Buy catalog you can resize or can you use it on flowers, shrubs, trees, etc...?
Just curious.... *whistles*

Scholar
#22920 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 5:08 PM

You so totally could make a fairy house with that
Theorist
#22921 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 5:09 PM
You so totally could make a fairy house with that

That's what I was thinking. Instant fairy house.
Scholar
#22922 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 5:10 PM

*grins* Just fave'd this over on Twitter, thanks for checking for me
That's pretty cool, I must say... had a storyline in my head for ages concerning oversized shrubbery, lol - Honey, I Shrunk The Sims has got to happen at some point now, lolol

...Titanium white...
Instructor
#22923 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 5:19 PM
y‘all people are traitors what happened to our blood pact of not buying the game?!

j/k, j/k

i was watching lovcat‘s video and she said that when you‘re at work you can‘t do anything, like talking to coworkers, etc bur i remember the gurus said you could do that, so what happened another ea lie?
Theorist
#22924 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 5:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CooCooCoo
y‘all people are traitors what happened to our blood pact of not buying the game?!

j/k, j/k

i was watching lovcat‘s video and she said that when you‘re at work you can‘t do anything, like talking to coworkers, etc bur i remember the gurus said you could do that, so what happened another ea lie?

I posted a little bit ago that you actually can and I just didn't see it. Talking to co-workers doesn't help you make friends, though, just adds social as far as I can tell.
Theorist
#22925 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 5:22 PM
I've been watching Let's Plays on Youtube...I can't get beyond the fan girl "OMG! OOOH, OOH, IT"S HERE!!!" girly voices or stupid dudes expressing their wonderment at how you can shift the chest sizes--tee, hee, hee....
Does anyone know any "normal voiced" people doing reviews? I don't have anything against giggling preteens and gushing fanboys but I can't get through the first five seconds of any review thanks to these people.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
Locked thread
Page 917 of 920