Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Mar 2022 at 2:07 AM
Default From 0 to 100 way too fast- what to do first?
So a few weeks ago I'd decided to get the TS3 basegame and start learning how the next version of the game worked, and after I'd had it and played a few times (really just had the game for a week or two at the most), then Steam decided to have a great sale on the complete EP/SP bundle, and between not wanting to miss the opportunity and assuming that since I've gotten literally thousands of hours of entertainment out of TS1 and TS2 meant TS3 would be fun too, I decided to buy it as well.

Trouble is, now I'm basically looking at the ENTIRE TS3 game with brand new eyes, and honestly getting pretty overwhelmed with all there is to learn/do in the game.

Any advice on the best ways to start off with this game so it's still fun but doesn't wind up so overwhelming that I can't decide where to turn first?

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 20th Mar 2022 at 3:52 AM
It's a pain to do with Steam installs, but my recommendation would be to uninstall all but maybe two of the EPs to begin with. Adjusting to all 11 of them at once would be quite a task as except maybe for Generations, they all add so much to gameplay that adding them in one at a time was the best way I found to spend months exploring each one and enjoying them.
Scholar
#3 Old 20th Mar 2022 at 7:49 AM
Or just dive in and let it wash over you. Try not to look too much at whatever expansion adds. Just play your sims and do whatever you find interesting when you come across it.

Omg, I just realised the amount of objects you have from the getgo. Anyway, once you get a bit settled in, you might want to look into what mods create a more smooth gameplay experience and get rid of some the known bugs and routing issues.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 20th Mar 2022 at 7:30 PM Last edited by igazor : 21st Mar 2022 at 6:26 AM.
Yes, but you see then the OP runs the very real risk of having their half alien tropical fruit hybrid harvested plantsim needing to attend boarding school and then get a self-employed job so that they might earn enough to purchase a nectar making machine and a flying vacuum cleaner for their golf-obsessed plumbot and its puppy to help supplement their high end dance club budget.

I know that sentence makes no sense at all, but wow that was challenging! Did I get all of them in there?

I'm actually feeling ganged up upon here and will be taking my ball and going home now. You're all a bunch of internet meanies.
Instructor
#6 Old 21st Mar 2022 at 5:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Gargoyle Cat
You feeling okay, today? Did you have one too many cups of coffee perhaps?

Is there such a thing as too much coffee? c[_]~
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#7 Old 22nd Mar 2022 at 2:52 AM
OK, current strategy: Same thing I do with RPGs where you've got way too many different storylines to play through and it wouldn't make sense for one character to do all of it- I'll make a few households each specifically designed to take advantage of a couple main elements that DO pair well together (e.g. Late Night & Showtime, Island Paradise & World Adventures, etc) and then rotate between them as the fancy strikes me... that can also help keep me from making the mistake of trying to do EVERYTHING with a single household and running into the horrifying amalgamation that Igazor made mention of above!

Scholar
#8 Old 23rd Mar 2022 at 12:31 PM
That is a very organised way of playing. Makes me envious.

Very different from the way I usually play MMO's and RPG's (and the sims for that matter). I go for a specific storyline too and then end up very distracted and in total bliss about all the shinies I find.
Top Secret Researcher
#9 Old 23rd Mar 2022 at 4:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Zarathustra
OK, current strategy: Same thing I do with RPGs where you've got way too many different storylines to play through and it wouldn't make sense for one character to do all of it- I'll make a few households each specifically designed to take advantage of a couple main elements that DO pair well together (e.g. Late Night & Showtime, Island Paradise & World Adventures, etc) and then rotate between them as the fancy strikes me... that can also help keep me from making the mistake of trying to do EVERYTHING with a single household and running into the horrifying amalgamation that Igazor made mention of above!

If interested, there are ways to play the sims 3 rotationally, with mods. You can find more information here - https://www.nraas.net/community/Sto...-Caste-Settings
Mad Poster
#10 Old 27th Mar 2022 at 6:56 PM
I play totally legacy style and have played over 30 generations. I set goals for each generation. I track everything on excel. My Sims get things done one at a time. So usually meet the goals I have set.

There is so much to do that I focus on a few things at a time. And my excel helps steer me as to where I want to go with the game.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#11 Old 27th Mar 2022 at 7:41 PM
So at least at this point, the thing I'm having by far the most fun with is Island Paradise and being able to play around with houseboats and coastal living. NOT what I would have expected my favorite new element (so far) to be, but I suppose it is something completely different from anything in TS2, so it makes some degree of sense...