Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Dec 2012 at 3:15 PM Last edited by Phaenoh : 7th Feb 2014 at 4:45 PM.
Oregon Trail Challenge!
You and your family are traveling to oregon (for whatever reason) in 1848. But there are obstacles along the way!

Start as one of the following:

Start as a banker: have 1500 dollars after building house intastead of 1000
Start as farmer: have 2 fridges intead of one (or 1 free grocery fill)
Strat as a carpenter: start with a high mechanical skill or be able to call repairman/plumber

Chose which season you want to "leave" in (if you have seasons).

Roll a dice (1-8) for ammount of sims in your wagon.
You can have more than 8 with mods, if you want a challenge.
Create them in CAS

Move them into a empty lot or house.
You may have it however you like, but afterwords, you must reduce your family funds to 1000, unless you are a banker.

You can have one fridge (unless you're a farmer), and you can have any bed that you can afford, after changing your funds. You can make money by selling things that your sims make. (no jobs over level 5 (use cheats), because there is probably no money for your sims left at this point.-lol)

On the trail!

Every week, you come to a stop/ resting point. At this time, you may shop, sell items, stock up on food, and repair your house.

Every 2 weeks, you come to a river. at this point, roll a dice. If you roll a 5 or a 6, you don't make it across. Otherwise, you make it, and continue on.

Every 5 days, roll a dice for each member of your party. If you roll a 6, they become sick (use boolprop). You can cure them whenever you want, this is just to make it a litte more realistic-ish. *shrug*

Every 3 days, roll a dice. If you roll a 2, 4, or a 6, you lose the trail, and find it again in (roll dice again!) days.

You lose if everyone dies.

After _ weeks (pick your own length), you've made it! Continue playing if you want, or stop if the dice-rolling drives you crazy. ( )

No point systems. Dey crampz mah swaggah. *shades* xD

HAPPEH TRAILZZZ ( )
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 9th Feb 2013 at 2:56 AM
Oh mi gosh I love this one! I'm going to have to try it soon!
Field Researcher
#3 Old 19th Sep 2013 at 7:21 PM
I like it. May try it
Doing all the things, and *mostly* not failing.
retired moderator
#4 Old 19th Sep 2013 at 7:30 PM
This is a good start, but I feel like it could be fleshed out a lot more. It's an interesting idea. Maybe I'll try to cram everyone into a tiny 'wagon camp' on a huge lot. Kinda makes me want to make a wilderness neighborhood, little house on the prairie, native Americans, ... I'd put it in an AnyGame with Pets, SSN, BV, and FT, I think. Hmm...
Instructor
#5 Old 20th Sep 2013 at 5:29 AM
I would probably build a bunch of "sets" for various incidents (reaching trade posts, crossing rivers, hunting/finding wild fruit, getting lost, etc) as community lots and then work out more specific rules for what should happen in each scenario. Like-- if you fail to cross the river, how do you decide what to get rid of and/or who drowns? I'd also have to think about how to work in the game's rationing and travel-pacing rules, because those were always fun to play with. And there were points on the trail where access to food and drinking water decreased because of the geographic changes, so it would be cool to work that in somehow. *ponders*
retired moderator
#6 Old 20th Sep 2013 at 5:10 PM
You could also set up a whole hood as a trail and move your little wagon camp lot a few squares closer along the road each few days. Outposts and whatnots could be along the road. If someone dies along the way, create a little 1x1 minilot cemetary for them there. You could do it with more families and they can travel at different speeds... oh the ideas!
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 20th Sep 2013 at 5:56 PM
This challenge sounds interesting and with the ideas you are coming up it makes it seem even more interesting.

I would assign a number to each sim and then roll dice, or use a random number picker, to decide who didn't make it past a certain stage or who gets sick first instead of making all sims sick if a certain number comes up. It kind of saves time by just rolling the dice once.
retired moderator
#8 Old 20th Sep 2013 at 9:20 PM
This neighborhood looks like it would be a good traveling land. Lots of places where the 'trail' splits and your family would have to choose which way to go. Or there is always the straight and narrow. Grab yourself one of hexameter's pioneer wagons, and our traveling begins. Maybe we'll come upon either of these footholds of civilization on our trip!
Test Subject
#9 Old 18th Dec 2013 at 3:12 AM
This sounds cool! :D
Inventor
#10 Old 18th Dec 2013 at 3:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by jj10101010
You and your family are traveling to oregon (for whatever reason)...

This bugged me just a little bit, so I shall explain the whole thing behind the Oregon Trail.
The Oregon trail was a emigration route from Missouri to, you guessed it, Oregon. In a nutshell, people wanted to live on 'Merica's newly-gained territory, so they loaded up their wagons and headed out west. There were lots of obstacles along the way such as everyone's favorite disease Dysentery.

I believe this also explains why the 'Merican states east of the Mississippi River have very defined shapes and the ones west are very simple and square-ish. I guess people didn't take their time in exploring western 'Merica.

The more you know!