Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

LotExpander for Free Time (Obsolete)

by Mootilda Posted 21st Aug 2007 at 1:43 AM - Updated 27th Nov 2013 at 9:09 PM by Nysha

279 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 275 Feedback Posts, 3 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 11 of 12
Site Helper
Original Poster
#251 Old 24th Jul 2008 at 3:11 PM Last edited by Mootilda : 31st Jul 2008 at 2:28 PM. Reason: Link to pictures, rather than embedding them
Default Create a very-large oddly-shaped lot
Quote: Originally posted by sinniti
I wanted to create a castle but its a huge project and to be honist i dont even think it would be that layable due to the size of the thin so I think Ill leve it for now. Thank you for your help.
I believe that you could do this, using the technique devised by WinterHart to break a very-large lot into several smaller sections. It isn't well documented, but here's a place to start:

http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=286308

You can use the tutorial by plasticbox to "attach" the adjacent lots:

http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=286909

To get an oddly-shaped lot, niol's technique should work well:

Quote: Originally posted by niol
Surely, you may simulate that kinda irregularities with a narrow lot plus a boarder lot with the move feature provided by LotAdjuster instead.
If you decide that you are interested in attempting this project, I can explain these techniques in more detail. Just let me know.

For an idea of what can be accomplished, take a look at these:
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthre...635#post1964635

In particular, this layout might be interesting:
https://thumbs2.modthesims2.com/img/...2108_nvla03.jpg
Test Subject
#252 Old 31st Aug 2008 at 1:25 AM
Are you going to make one for Apartment life?
Site Helper
Original Poster
#253 Old 1st Sep 2008 at 5:22 PM Last edited by Mootilda : 2nd Sep 2008 at 1:49 AM.
There will be no new versions of the LotExpander.

I am working on updating the LotAdjuster to work with Apartment Life:
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=282409
Lab Assistant
#254 Old 2nd Sep 2008 at 10:15 PM
Bug I have noticed: Paintings of still life/portraits will turn into the white image with the cross

and yeah, I have vista. lot expander doesn't work. it ruined a lot. big white spot at side, and can't place items on it. but it was a temporary lot. doesn't matter.

But it's a good useful tool. when it works.
Site Helper
Original Poster
#255 Old 3rd Sep 2008 at 4:29 PM
I can't fix problems that I don't know about, so I really want people to report any problems that they are seeing.

I resolved a problem with paintings in the past, as soon as it was reported to me. If you are still having this problem with the latest version, please attach an unexpanded copy (ie, backup copy) of your lot, for me to look at.

Can you tell me more about the big white spot? I understand that you may not have a copy of this lot around any more, but I may be able to determine something if you can give me additional information.
Lab Assistant
#256 Old 3rd Sep 2008 at 8:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Mootilda
I can't fix problems that I don't know about, so I really want people to report any problems that they are seeing.

I resolved a problem with paintings in the past, as soon as it was reported to me. If you are still having this problem with the latest version, please attach an unexpanded copy (ie, backup copy) of your lot, for me to look at.

Can you tell me more about the big white spot? I understand that you may not have a copy of this lot around any more, but I may be able to determine something if you can give me additional information.

oh, no it was a while ago. I was in this thread so I thought I should report it

um.... I think I could get a picture of the lot.

What I think happened was, I hit the "next" or whatever button it was, and then it just froze (vista), and I waited while, so I went to task manager.
So that was the spot where it was supposed to increase size, but never finished.
Test Subject
#257 Old 4th Sep 2008 at 1:48 AM
My computer doesnt like me today... It won't load...

I can't seem to get it to start. I press the start button and it just come with an error saying," Unhandled exception has occured in you application. If you click continue Windows will ignore this error and retry. But if you click Quit the application will close immediately. Could not load file of assembly 'simpe.file, System could not find file."

I click Continue then it sits there....loading.....forever...... Did I download it right? I just pressed the link then saved it in Sims 2, It then opened up Win.Rar and I clicked on the link and pressed: Extract to unidentified... Was that the right thing? So now I have the file in Sims 2 and I double click on it to get it to come up...

I'm not a wiz with computers so try to use simplest terms possible. Thanks
Site Helper
Original Poster
#258 Old 4th Sep 2008 at 2:56 AM
You need to extract all of the files in the zip file to the same directory on your hard drive, then run the exe from that directory. From your description, I can't tell whether you extracted all of the files, or only the exe. Is "unidentified" the name of the directory?

Are you running Vista? Some people have had a similar problem when running Vista and I don't have a solution yet.
Test Subject
#259 Old 24th Dec 2008 at 11:58 AM
after adjusting 3 lots (2 worked) my game wouldnt load anymore, i shldve backed it up but i got over 6 gb there and no more space on my laptop so carelessly i continued without backing up and since it worked twice i thought that its going to work fine, but now my game wouldnt load, i tried moving my game and letting the game create new files and it worked, so its a prob from the lots or something do u have any thought on this?

.ιłłιłłι.●ธσมℓ ๕яมธสđεя●.ιłłιłłι.©
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#260 Old 24th Dec 2008 at 12:35 PM
Abu-antar, the LA automatically creates backups .. have you tried to use those?

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Test Subject
#261 Old 24th Dec 2008 at 12:59 PM Last edited by Abu-antar : 24th Dec 2008 at 2:45 PM.
yep, it still didnt work

EDIT: thanks for ur help i fixed the prob

Site Helper
Original Poster
#262 Old 24th Dec 2008 at 4:25 PM
Just for future reference: The LA only produces one valid backup at a time. If you do three adjustments in a row, only the last backup will be valid.

If you cannot backup your entire "The Sims 2" directory, then I would suggest that you at least backup your neighborhood directory (ie, N001 or E001) before running the LA.
Test Subject
#263 Old 24th Dec 2008 at 6:38 PM
mootilda i have a problem with expanding a beach lot on vista, ive been trying all day to expand (after backing up :P), it worked once before my game incident, after i fixed it it just crashes the game wen im loading the lot, if ud like i can send u the lot if it could help u in anyway

Site Helper
Original Poster
#264 Old 25th Dec 2008 at 9:03 PM
Abu-antar, I'd be happy to take a look at your beach lot and see whether I can figure out why it's crashing. It would be best if you could give me your backup version, so that I can try the expansion myself. Attach both the neighborhood package and the lot package. Thanks.
Lab Assistant
#265 Old 11th Jan 2009 at 8:58 AM
With Vista – I just have to wait for this “Luxury’ - Smile – Berna
Site Helper
Original Poster
#266 Old 11th Jan 2009 at 6:30 PM
Try the LotAdjuster. Many people are able to run the LotAdjuster under Vista.

The LotExpander will not be updated.
Field Researcher
#267 Old 17th Jan 2009 at 4:12 PM
May I ask why there won't be an aparment life update? I'd really like to use the LotExpander. I gave it a go with the FT version but it didn't work, like it mentioned in the foreword at the start of the program.

(()) Pass the ribbon around if you know someone that
//\\ has survived, died, or is living with cancer..

Grandpa Joost 1996 †
Site Helper
Original Poster
#268 Old 17th Jan 2009 at 4:36 PM Last edited by Mootilda : 17th Jan 2009 at 4:41 PM.
I'm not going to update the LotExpander because there is a new program, the LotAdjuster, which is a significantly improved and enhanced utility which works with all EPs and SPs and with 64-bit operating systems.

The original LotExpander was created by someone else. When he died, I took over the project. At that time, I didn't know anything about modding, so my primary concern was to keep the existing program working with new EPs and SPs.

In parallel, I was working with a number of people here to add a lot of new functionality. At the time, we weren't sure that shrinking lots was safe or even possible, so I had to keep both sets of source code in sync with the newest game releases.

However, now that we have a working LotAdjuster, there's really no need to keep the LotExpander up-to-date. If you have Apartment Life or Mansion and Garden Stuff, you should be using the LotAdjuster. If you want to run on Vista or 64-bit, you should be using the LotAdjuster. If you are having problems running the LotExpander for any reason, try updating to the LotAdjuster.

Hope to see you on the LotAdjuster thread!
Test Subject
#269 Old 17th Jul 2009 at 9:09 AM
Default Not solved problem (for me)
Hi MAtilda I donť know waht to do,I had tried everything but without succes.Please can you help me??

There is my warning message:
,,Value 0 is not a valid value for the argument Value.Worth of Value must be in the range from minimum to maximum.Title of parameter: Value"

Tahnks a lot.Have a nice day.
Site Helper
Original Poster
#270 Old 17th Jul 2009 at 4:11 PM
Update to the LotAdjuster and your problems will likely be solved:
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=282409
Test Subject
#271 Old 1st Jan 2010 at 3:34 AM
hi can you make one for mac or a tutorial
Site Helper
Original Poster
#272 Old 1st Jan 2010 at 7:56 PM
TS2/TS3 Tools and Utilities: Solutions for OS X users:
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=366580
Site Helper
Original Poster
#273 Old 11th Feb 2010 at 10:56 PM
Default "Can't intersect other objects" bug
I've found a bug with the LotExpander with an error, "can't intersect other objects", which could occur even when there is no such object.

This bug has existed in all previous versions of the LotExpander and LotAdjuster. The new version of the LotAdjuster will avoid creating this problem, but will not fix any existing problems created by running previous versions of LE or LA.

If you currently have this problem on your lot, it can be fixed by using SimPE to delete the VERT (vertex layer) record within your lot package. The record will regenerate, but will only contain information for new objects, or existing objects which are subsequently moved.

Because of this, I would recommend that you backup before editing your lot package in SimPE and that you test thoroughly before sharing such a lot.

[Update:]
For anyone who wants more information about this bug, please look here:
http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...293#post3041293
Field Researcher
#274 Old 1st May 2010 at 12:04 AM
This saved the day for me! I converted a community lot store (I've wanted to try that every since learning about the lot conversion cheat) into a lovely home for my sims....only to realize that the yard was pretty much non-existant. For me, at least a medium-sized yard is a must (I like my sims to be able to have fun outdoors as well as indoors!), so I resigned myself to the fact that I wouldn't be able to play a family on that lot. Then I found this....and the problem was solved in a matter of minutes! Thank you for this wonderful program!
Test Subject
#275 Old 5th Jul 2010 at 2:46 PM
Hi Does this work if the only expansions you have is Pets Nightlife and OFB
Page 11 of 12