Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Brainania University Subhood

by Mootilda Posted 16th Dec 2010 at 3:41 PM - Updated 19th Aug 2011 at 2:47 AM by Mootilda : Suggest backup before attaching university.

135 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 91 Feedback Posts, 43 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 3 of 6
Site Helper
Original Poster
#51 Old 27th Dec 2010 at 8:59 PM Last edited by Mootilda : 28th Dec 2010 at 12:04 AM.
I'm so glad that you're enjoying it.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to reproduce your problem. Can you give me any additional information? For example, are your sims traveling by taxi, on foot, or by car? If by car, then which car? Where is the vehicle stopping? Is one of the doors being blocked by a tree, or a phone, or something else? Which doors of the vehicle are your sims using?
transmogrified
retired moderator
#52 Old 28th Dec 2010 at 11:59 AM
My Sims travelled on foot from their dorm, in a group of four. I never experienced the problem with smaller groups. The only time the group of four escaped it was when I sent them to the Music lot from a different community lot instead of the dorm. Hmmm...maybe it's worth noting that when I send them from the dorm, their exit tends to be staggered (one might be in the shower and another finishing a meal after the first two take off).
Site Helper
Original Poster
#53 Old 28th Dec 2010 at 5:29 PM Last edited by Mootilda : 1st Jan 2011 at 10:29 PM.
OK, I've reproduced it. Looks like one of my hacks was resolving the problem, although I haven't figured out which one it is.

Let me see whether moving the portals will solve it.

[Update:]

So far, moving the pedestrian portals several tiles towards the center of the sidewalk seems to resolve the problem.

I believe that I have a hack (from MATY) which encourages sims to move away from the portals, and that this hack is also resolving the problem. However, I still haven't pinpointed the exact hack.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#54 Old 4th Jan 2011 at 1:07 AM
Thank you so so much for this. I never enjoyed sending my sims to university very much because the neighborhoods are so boring, although I do like the skills that sims can gain during their time in school. Brainania should make university life so much more fun.
Mad Poster
THANKS POST
#55 Old 5th Jan 2011 at 6:11 AM
I'm looking forward to trying this out - it looks amazing! I plan to attach it to Pleasantview, and with Lilith Pleasant all ready to start (and finish) university in my next rotation I won't have to wait too long to use it! :-D Thanks for sharing!
Scholar
THANKS POST
#56 Old 8th Jan 2011 at 12:38 PM
I've tried you uni in a test game first and added it now to my main neighborhood. Before that I've almost quit playing uni but this one is fun! :D
The only changes I've made were adding some objects from later EPs like the drawing table (job reward) to Architecture or the ballet bars to Dance.
Great work!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#57 Old 10th Jan 2011 at 4:25 AM
Best subhood EVER. Thank you for sharing.
Test Subject
#58 Old 11th Jan 2011 at 9:02 PM
Hi, guys, hi Mootilda!
I habe a big problem: I installed the MOOU-Folder in the correct directory (TSData/Res/NeighborhoodTemplate) and the Brainania-Neighborhood also appears in game as expected - BUT the buildings do not show up, I can visit the lots (which also have the correct names) but they are empty as if the lot-files were missing. Can anyone tell me what's wrong???
Site Helper
Original Poster
#59 Old 11th Jan 2011 at 9:46 PM
Which operating system are you using?

Does the TSData\Res\NeighborhoodTemplate\MOOU\Lots folder exist? Does it contain 49 files?

Is this the only university that you added to your neighborhood? Are you familiar with SimPE at all? If so, would you please open the N###_University###.package file in your save game and find the instance of any Lot Description, then look in your save game Lots folder to see whether there is a lot file with that number.
Test Subject
#60 Old 11th Jan 2011 at 9:55 PM
I'm using VISTA. The folder exists and contains the 49 files. In fact it is the only university that I added to the neigborhood (my last EP is Mansion and Garden stuff, but that shouldn't matter, should it?). Hm, no, I'm not that familiar with SimPE, which University file are you talking about? Your MOUU-one?
Site Helper
Original Poster
#61 Old 11th Jan 2011 at 11:42 PM
When a university is added to a neighborhood, the neighborhood package for the univeristy is renamed to <your neighborhood prefix>_University001.package. If you add a second university, it's named <your neighborhood prefix>_University002.package. As well, all of the university lot packages are copied to the Lots folder for the save game, but given new prefixes and lot numbers.

I'm trying to determine whether the lot packages from Brainania were properly added to your games Lots folder by looking for the specific lot numbers. However, if you aren't familiar with SimPE, then it will be difficult for you to determine which lots are your original ones and which are the new university lots.

Do you have the Clean Installer installed on your system? If so, could you browse to the Lots folder for your save game and look for Brainania lot names, like "Biology Lab"?
Test Subject
#62 Old 12th Jan 2011 at 10:24 PM
Okay, I agree, that SimPE-stuff sounds difficult... I checked the folder with clean installer, the Brainania lots are complete (even the previews work). I've no idea what's going on...!
Site Helper
Original Poster
#63 Old 12th Jan 2011 at 10:53 PM
Just to be sure: did you browse the MooU folder or your save game Lots folder?

I'm afraid that I'm stumped, too. I've never seen the behavior that you're describing and I specifically tested with M&G. What you're seeing just doesn't make any sense.

Would it be possible for you to share your entire save game with me? That is, the entire N### subfolder under your Neighborhoods folder. You'd have to zip or rar the entire subfolder and then put it out onto one of the file sharing websites, since it will surely be too big to attach here. I use http://www.megaupload.com/, but any file sharing site should work.
Test Subject
#64 Old 12th Jan 2011 at 11:30 PM
I'm an idiot - you're right, I browsed the MOUU-Folder!

The lots do really not appear in the lots folder of my saved game using clean installer! Should it work just to copy the lots from MOUU-Lots-Folder to saved-game-lots-folder?

I hope we found the reason
Site Helper
Original Poster
#65 Old 12th Jan 2011 at 11:47 PM Last edited by Mootilda : 16th Apr 2011 at 4:43 PM. Reason: Add warning
Yes, that would explain what you're seeing, although it doesn't explain why the game didn't copy the lots correctly when you added the university. Is it possible that you were running something else on your system that had a lock on your Lots folder, so that the lots couldn't be copied over?

Unfortunately, you can't just copy the lots; they need to be renamed to have the correct neighborhood prefix and lot number. Since you're not familiar with SimPE, it's not likely that you could do it properly; besides, with almost 50 lots, it would be a fair amount of work.

If you have a backup of your save game before you added Brainania, restore from your backup then ensure that Brainania was installed correctly before trying again.

Since no sims or lots were added to your neighborhood when you added Brainania, it might be feasible to delete the university from your save game and try adding it again. Here's how:

WARNING: Do not attempt this workaround unless you can guarantee that Brainania was installed correctly and that none of the Brainania lots were copied to your Lots subfolder. This is not a general solution, but a specific solution for a specific problem that a few people have had with this university.

1) backup your save game. This is very important. Do not continue without a proper backup.

2) If you moved sims into dorms or rental units, run the game and move them out into the Sim bin. DO NOT move occupied lots into the lot bin.

3) Erase the two files for the university from your save game. Since you do not have any other universities attached to this neighborhood, they will be named <neighborhood prefix>_University001.package and <neighborhood prefix>_University001.png.

4) Be sure that you aren't running anything else on your machine, just in case.

5) Run the game. There should be no university associated with your neighborhood. Add Brainania again and see whether the lots are now available to you.

6) If the missing lots are not available, delete your save game and restore from your backup. Do not keep installing Brainania into the same neighborhood without deleting your save game and restoring from your backup first.
Test Subject
#66 Old 13th Jan 2011 at 12:04 AM
*sign* I still don't understand what's gone wrong...

Unfortunatelly I don't have made a backup, but the neighbourhood in which I added Brainania is not that important for me (it's Belladonna Bay and I don't have any selfmade Sims in it), so maybe it would be the easiest way just to delete the neigbourhood, would'nt it?
Site Helper
Original Poster
#67 Old 13th Jan 2011 at 12:08 AM
We cross-posted. It looks pretty easy to remove and re-add Brainania. Try the steps that I suggest above before you give up. Please let me know whether it works.
Test Subject
#68 Old 13th Jan 2011 at 12:46 AM
BOOYAH, it really worked, the lots are showing up now Thank you so much, Mootilda, for your help and your patience! As it's nearly 2 AM now I think I'll go to bed, but tomorrow I'll first test my new subhood

Thanks a lot for the great job!
Test Subject
#69 Old 21st Jan 2011 at 3:30 AM Last edited by king1367 : 21st Jan 2011 at 3:43 AM.
*Update* Found the issue, using a collection pack the folder it needs to go in changes. It needs to go into C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\The Sims 2 University Life Collection\EP1\TSData\Res\NeighborhoodTemplate.

I am not able to use the hood in the game, but I was able to before I had to uninstall and reinstall the game. When I reinstalled I used several of the collections, including university life and the pets one with mansions and gardens. I extract the MooU folder to the correct place as included in your install instructions, but when I go into the game it is not included in the University options when you go to add one to a hood.

I have played MooU before I had to reinstall and it worked great, so I think the problem may be with either the university life pack, which includes two stuff packs I didn't have before, or the pets pack, which also included two stuff packs I didn't have.

Any suggestions?
Site Helper
Original Poster
#70 Old 21st Jan 2011 at 3:43 AM
Yes, I suspect that the path for the University portion of the University Life pack is now in a different location. Unfortunately, I have no way to tell you where it is now.

If you have a folder under Program Files named The Sims 2 University Life, look for a subfolder of that named University or EP1 or something like that. Then drill down from there to the NeighborhoodTemplate folder.

Another thing that you can do is to search under Program files for U001. that might help you to find the correct place.

Update: Looks like we cross-posted. I'm glad that you got it working.
Forum Resident
THANKS POST
#71 Old 15th Feb 2011 at 12:39 PM
As I would enjoy having this amazing subhood in my game, alas I cannot as my UNI EP's gone-oh D: Is it possible to have a terrain/map only version? I would love that so much
Site Helper
Original Poster
#72 Old 15th Feb 2011 at 8:22 PM
The SC4 file is attached to comment #42. Please be sure to thank StephSim, since it's basically her terrain.

Otherwise, you can use my HoodReplace utility to copy the terrain, roads, trees, deco, etc:
http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=279992
Forum Resident
THANKS POST
#73 Old 17th Feb 2011 at 11:04 AM
omg it exists. thank you very much <3
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#74 Old 3rd Mar 2011 at 4:07 AM
This is Amazing !!!!! Thank You !!!!
Lab Assistant
#75 Old 12th Mar 2011 at 11:51 PM
First of all, I would like to thank you for making this sweet University. I love the way it's set up.

But, I have issues with it. Stability issues. I connected the University to a relatively empty neighborhood that I'd just created. I create a student, move him into the Myomancy Dorm and he is immediately greeted by a Garden Club townie.

Last I checked the Garden Club townies weren't supposed to appear on Uni lots.

Next I attempt to use the Majors Made Easier hack to change my major, and it throws an error at me. I've attached the error log to this post.

Now I go to skill, and I get the skills, but my grade bar isn't exanding like it should, even after getting all the needed skills. See the attached image to see what I mean.

I've tried to recreate this in the other dorms too, both of them had the same problems. I've yet to test the residential lots though.

ETA: Grade cap updates properly on all residential lots, and Garden club townie doesn't show up. However MME still errors on every lot.

I have EPs from the Base Game up to Seasons, no SPs. Do you have any idea why this is happening?
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: zip  ObjectError_N006_t888.zip (11.1 KB, 11 downloads)
Page 3 of 6