Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th Jul 2020 at 5:59 AM Last edited by secretstars : 18th Jul 2020 at 9:11 PM. Reason: added spoiler and trimmed down post to get folks to the main point lol sorry I just overexplain when it's unnecessary
Default possible to create new lot/venue category using XML tuning?
hello,

click the spoiler if you wanna read why I even started thinking about this specific thing in the first place which now that it's not midnight I realize is kinda extraneous

so i was wondering two things:

1. is it possible to make a version of the XML file where i can specify different traits or other characteristics that attract/repel Sims from a certain lot type? like let's say I didn't want Loners to be repelled from visiting Hangouts anymore, I can just remove that value and make it a lil tuning mod, right?

and 2. is it possible to create an entire new venue/lot type using the template given at the beginning of the XML file? I'm not asking to have my hand held through this, haha, I'm just asking if it's literally possible because i have a feeling there is something i am missing about this (maybe like... that a script would have to go along with it to make it, like, an actionable thing that exists if that makes sense?? perhaps it's impossible because there's no, like, 'framework' essentially in the coding for making a new lot type???? i'm literally just guessing lol) and i wanted to make sure before going on a fool's errand when i could've just done a nice little mod that changes an existing venue type like in my first query, haha.

tl;dr: what are the possibilities for changing stuff about venues or even making a new type of venue thru the use of an XML tuning mod for Venues.XML [and/or other XML files, if applicable]??

thank you so much for reading through this and thank you so much for your patience, especially considering there's a lot of stuff i know i don't have the 'language' for and i'm sure some of this is confusing because i don't super know what i'm talking about! i really did try to search about this specifically and like i said i've read through the tutorials a few times before, and when i really couldn't find a good answer that's when i decided it might be worth asking! if you do decide to respond, thank you so much for your time and help, i appreciate it a lot!!

edited to add: i really hope i posted this in the right place, i think i did, but just in case i didn't i apologize, please let me know so i can delete and move it!!!
Advertisement
Space Pony
#2 Old 19th Jul 2020 at 3:01 AM
Quote: Originally posted by secretstars
so i was wondering two things:

1. is it possible to make a version of the XML file where i can specify different traits or other characteristics that attract/repel Sims from a certain lot type? like let's say I didn't want Loners to be repelled from visiting Hangouts anymore, I can just remove that value and make it a lil tuning mod, right?

and 2. is it possible to create an entire new venue/lot type using the template given at the beginning of the XML file? I'm not asking to have my hand held through this, haha, I'm just asking if it's literally possible because i have a feeling there is something i am missing about this (maybe like... that a script would have to go along with it to make it, like, an actionable thing that exists if that makes sense?? perhaps it's impossible because there's no, like, 'framework' essentially in the coding for making a new lot type???? i'm literally just guessing lol) and i wanted to make sure before going on a fool's errand when i could've just done a nice little mod that changes an existing venue type like in my first query, haha.

1. Yes, I don't see why that wouldn't work. Just be aware that if you want to share your edits here, your mod will conflict with all others editing the same resource. Depending on the "popularity" of the resource in other mods, I will sometimes inject XML edits through scripting to avoid such conflicts.
  2. To make a long story short, this is not possible without at least some level of pure scripting.

"The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had." - Eric Schmidt

If you enjoy the mods I put out, consider supporting me on patreon: www.patreon.com/Gamefreak130