Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
Original Poster
#976 Old 11th Jul 2016 at 6:42 PM
I'll update the table as soon as I have another free minute.

Want a specific style of house or community building? Why not take a look at my profile and see what I build and then come ask me to make it!
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#977 Old 11th Jul 2016 at 7:33 PM Last edited by CatherineTCJD : 11th Jul 2016 at 8:09 PM.
Jo - 4-click lattice fences: check out TSR/SA99 (SimAddict99) - she has 3 or 4 heights available

Oh goodie, scores! Thank YOU all ya'll judges Only 1 more round to judge - keep up the great work

OK - I just read my comments - Judge 1 (I think it was) Have you been to Florida? It isn't a jungle. Areas close to the beach (as this is) really don't have much in the way of vegetation... just a few palms/palmettos and LOTS of sand - with no dunes, unless there are Sea Oats - which there aren't in S2, so, no dunes. Also - I wasn't going for a 'wedding' vibe... just a party atmosphere; especially outside. AND Thank you for commenting on the cinema build! That was a PITA!!! I'm so glad you liked it
Judge 2 - Yeah... the undeveloped part of the property... as I said in the wording - a mini-golf course will eventually populate that side of the land. No CC = blah mini-golf! *sigh*
Judge 3 - The Ballroom is used for formal dances - ones you would hire an orchestra for, and the rest of the venue would be shut down to accommodate the extra people. Random sims should not attempt dancing in this area (no music!) If a sim wants to dance, they should go out to the dance floor. So, no routing issues. Also - as to "style" - I used every piece of tiki/island deco in the game. Remember, this was no CC.

All-in-all - great comments Ya'll are doing a very difficult job while maintaining a positive attitude. Thank YOU!!!

Please ~ support my TS2 habit! Shop at my Etsy shops:
CatherinesJewelry ~ Artisan Jewelry
Catherine's MOUSE ~ Up/Recycled Jewelry
and Vintage Stuffeths
Toaster Strudel Addict
retired moderator
#978 Old 11th Jul 2016 at 7:34 PM
To the judges, I played around with mixed flooring, yes, I also didn't like the lighter blue cushions, and I went back and forth with a flat vs arched roof as well, lol. So in short, I agree
Mad Poster
#979 Old 11th Jul 2016 at 9:07 PM
Thank you, Judges
This was the hardest round for me and after I probably spent more time staring at the lot than building on it, I am very happy with my score!

Judge 1 - we have huge self catering lodges here; and they are only used for vacation accommodation, and are very popular for large groups of people, even for conferences and stuff. I live in the mountains where wild animals still roam, where the highest concentration of leopards on earth is, and finding five completely different lodges on one property is nothing strange here; because owners of game farms simply want to give tourists a wider choice. I cannot believe I forgot to turn some of the trees around

Judge 2 - thank you : )

Judge 3 - I wanted to add red to the interior. Because red and green are very popular in Africa. But I tried it once before and it did not work out so well in the end
Lab Assistant
#980 Old 11th Jul 2016 at 9:14 PM
Thanks, judges :D

Yes, Judge 1, the islands are essentially British, but with subtropical plants - and the sea and sand really are Sunlit Tides-coloured (although the temperature of the sea is far from tropical ).
Judge 3 - the very last picture is a shot of the whole front of the lot.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#981 Old 11th Jul 2016 at 10:31 PM
Great to wake up to see scores, thank you judges.

I am very perplexed by the comment from judge one and two-

Quote:
I suggest that you could have also furnished and allowed access to your second floor balcony as it is completely bare and could have definitely also had something to do up there or some sort of decoration, it could have helped give your building a better appearance too.

Quote:
I wish you'd gotten a chance to add some furniture to the upper balconies.

My balcony floor has access via spiral stairs and is furnished with seating, bookcase and a pool table. There are exposed 'beams' on the open side looking down to the bottom floor- you can't furnish there.

Can someone clear up what they mean? Or are my pictures unclear?

Judge one I think? I tried to place a second fire place on the balcony so it would be continuous and it simply refused to place where I wanted it to and moved itself to one side, since it didn't look nice that way I didn't use it.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
Original Poster
#982 Old 11th Jul 2016 at 11:15 PM
The score table has been updated.

I'm loving all the entries, I do hope that as many of you as can will upload them. You should all feel very proud of yourselves.

Want a specific style of house or community building? Why not take a look at my profile and see what I build and then come ask me to make it!
Link Ninja
#983 Old 11th Jul 2016 at 11:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Great to wake up to see scores, thank you judges.

I am very perplexed by the comment from judge one and two-

My balcony floor has access via spiral stairs and is furnished with seating, bookcase and a pool table. There are exposed 'beams' on the open side looking down to the bottom floor- you can't furnish there.

Can someone clear up what they mean? Or are my pictures unclear?

Judge one I think? I tried to place a second fire place on the balcony so it would be continuous and it simply refused to place where I wanted it to and moved itself to one side, since it didn't look nice that way I didn't use it.

Jo, I am interpreting the comment 'balcony' as the 'outer balcony/terraces' namely this pic where you see a door access the outer balcony but there is no furniture or deco that look to be on it. However only the judge will know what they really meant but I was just taking a stab at what they meant by saying the upper balcony was unfurnished.

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#984 Old 11th Jul 2016 at 11:26 PM
Oh I hadn't thought of that. Okay that does now make sense. Must admit I never gave it a thought. It's just somewhere to go for a look at the view, I imagine it being very chilly as a place to sit.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Link Ninja
#985 Old 11th Jul 2016 at 11:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Oh I hadn't thought of that. Okay that does now make sense. Must admit I never gave it a thought. It's just somewhere to go for a look at the view, I imagine it being very chilly as a place to sit.

I was going to suggest a resolution like an outdoor fire pit but then I remembered you were building with no CC! I dunno, maybe those vanilla potted mini pine trees along the outer wall just for some flavor?

Mad Poster
#986 Old 11th Jul 2016 at 11:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Karen Lorraine
I'm loving all the entries, I do hope that as many of you as can will upload them.

At least for me, that's the plan for the next week or so! I'll have to make changes on just about every lot I've done so far though... I'm really liking the "does not need to be playable" clause for this contest, but that doesn't really lend itself to an actual upload!

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Link Ninja
#987 Old 11th Jul 2016 at 11:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Karen Lorraine
The score table has been updated.

I'm loving all the entries, I do hope that as many of you as can will upload them. You should all feel very proud of yourselves.

I have copies saved for if I ever do decide to upload but the downside of using CC to make it all pretty is that I have to swim through it all for links later. The oasis would probably be the most realistic, it's the smallest lot and can be put into neighborhoods too, like Strangetown. Don't know of many who have a 'desert' vacation hood.

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#988 Old 12th Jul 2016 at 12:44 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Charmful
I was going to suggest a resolution like an outdoor fire pit but then I remembered you were building with no CC! I dunno, maybe those vanilla potted mini pine trees along the outer wall just for some flavor?

I have an outdoor fire pit- down in the garden. The widest part on that veranda is only 3 tiles wide. (to me a balcony is something inside a building which is why the comments threw me-cultural difference I guess)

Yes, I should have put some plants. For some reason I didn't give the veranda a thought.

~Call me Jo~
Scholar
#989 Old 12th Jul 2016 at 1:24 PM
Thanks to all the judges for the scores. It domed on me afterwards that I should have not been zoomed out so far for the floor plan shots (which was actually the complete opposite problem I had for the first round), So I'll do my best to correct that issue on this last round. Hopefully I will have my build up by the end of today, as I work the rest of the week and know I won't have time.

Sims, like life, is very unpredictable. One minute you're eating four day old pizza, and then the repo-man steals your only sofa and you're in tears. ...then the food poison kicks in.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#990 Old 12th Jul 2016 at 2:05 PM
@Karen Lorraine I just realized I incurred a late score? My entry is a page before you said you were closing the round.

~Call me Jo~
Scholar
#991 Old 12th Jul 2016 at 2:38 PM
Default Round 4 Entry
Buckled down after my last post and decided I was getting this finished now!... So I did!

Round 4: Multi-venue Lot, featuring a convenience store, souvenir store, and a picnic area surrounding a man-made relic.

Requirements:
R4- water/bridge/picnic area
Convenience store- food display/clothes rack/cash register/venue item
Souvenir stand- cash register/souvenir of area

Game: TS4
CC: Yes
Lot: 3x4
----

Welcome to Granite Falls one and only convenience store nestled within the woodsy, mountain escape. Also, your one stop place to shop for all those souvenirs you want to go home with, complete with a place to stop for lunch, or hang out under the beautiful pines and man made pit in the ground! Once a mining spot for precious gems, now remodeled as a tourist attraction sure to not disappoint. Run out of milk, eggs, bug spray? We have it all + more! BBQ pits and public 'outhouse' style bathrooms provided, as well.

Sims, like life, is very unpredictable. One minute you're eating four day old pizza, and then the repo-man steals your only sofa and you're in tears. ...then the food poison kicks in.
Field Researcher
#992 Old 12th Jul 2016 at 5:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by PharaohHound
This contest is now closed to new entries. Keep an eye out on the contests forum to see if there are any new building contests coming up! Make sure to read the rules on the first post of any contest, as that would answer your question.

Thanks. Does it take long for any new contests to come up?
Mad Poster
#993 Old 12th Jul 2016 at 5:48 PM
Default Elk Ridge Campground + Country Store

Name: Elk Ridge Campground
Game: TS2
Venue: Campground (but meets Convenience Store/Souvenir Gift Shop (a CS will always meet the SGS reqs. too) and Beach/Lake requirements as well.)
Not that it matters this round, but no CC was used on this lot either

Today, campgrounds are almost inseparable from the idea of National Parks, with millions of people every year setting up camp out under the stars and clear night skies of these spectacular landscapes. Temple Mountains National Park, like many large National Parks, has several campgrounds spread throughout the park’s frontcountry and backcountry. The main tent and RV campground is Albright Campground, named for the second director of the National Park Service, Horace Albright. However, there is also a smaller hiker’s campground, the Elk Ridge Campground, located near the Union Grove Visitor Center in the northern part of Temple Mountains National Park, and it too has played an important role in the history of the Temple Mountains region.

Link Ninja
#994 Old 12th Jul 2016 at 8:31 PM
I love woodsy campgrounds! My favorite ever was Rocky Mountain National Park, wake up and look out your tent and see a mountain! I love the way you constructed the noticeboard and how your bridge looks like a rope one :D

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#995 Old 12th Jul 2016 at 10:44 PM
No no, I should have not have looked at Zar's entry, now I can't get that sign out of my head! Now I have to come up with a way for it not to look the same arhhg.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#996 Old 13th Jul 2016 at 6:54 AM
Zarathustra, I am so impressed - I really feel like going camping now.
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
Original Poster
#997 Old 13th Jul 2016 at 5:32 PM
Gorgeous entries, thank you

Mad Poster
#998 Old 13th Jul 2016 at 6:15 PM Last edited by Justpetro : 13th Jul 2016 at 7:16 PM.
Default Entry : Round 4 The Gallery of the Dancing Fish
Venue : A place to go for some culture and a performance stage (with a lake and curio shop)

Welcome to the Gallery of the Dancing Fish (fresh water fish are plenty in the mountains; and The Gallery of the Dancing Fish actually exists; where art work of the local tribes are sold).

The Gallery of the Dancing Fish does not have a performance stage in the real world (although there will be dancing in the open); but performance stages similar to the one I made are found at various venues. If you go there, you can watch the Venda women perform traditional dances around the fire in their colorful traditional wear, while the drums are playing, and, on your birthday, you dance with them (and your guests too, if they want too).

A place like this one may be found on many of the (huge) game farms, which normally is a partnership between the land owners and the tribal community, and there also may be lodges, shops (where the handiwork of the people are sold); definitely a BBQ (for South Africans even have a national braai day, and you will have a BBQ, and a chef specializing in BBQ meats may prepare a meal for you); picnic spots, rivers and/or waterfalls, The women are good at basket weaving, pottery and they also make small water features here.

So, since this is the last round of the competition, let us go Africa. And imagine that we are all dancing around the fire!

Mad Poster
#999 Old 13th Jul 2016 at 7:03 PM
Nicely done, @Justpetro ! I especially like the checkerboard tile/grass at the front of the lot!

One thing though- you forgot to close your spoiler tag! Think of the people with slow internet connections!

Mad Poster
#1000 Old 13th Jul 2016 at 7:16 PM
Oh, dear, thank you, Zar - I seem to forget something every time

Page 40 of 44