Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Inventor
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Apr 2021 at 7:20 AM
Default MTS Site Suggestion - Tutorials Search by Object
As a new creator and very much still learning , I depend on guides and tutorials and advice from experienced creators.
If I am having an issue with a specific object, I would love to be able to go directly to all tutorials on that object to check for information on how to resolve it.
At the moment, the tutorials are listed by title and it absolutely soul destroying searching with the common descriptions of "How to...", "Creating...", "Adding..." etc,

I believe this could be achieved by two ways - adding this search facility to the tutorials or renaming the tutorial titles to commence with the object followed by the description.
I would be more than happy to offer my services to re-organize if that helps?
Advertisement
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#2 Old 24th Apr 2021 at 10:24 AM
I'm a bit confused about where this search would even be.  On the forums, on the wiki, where?  Also, all of the tutorials on the site are submitted by creators, it would be a little sad to rename and modify them just because we add the object name and all kinds of other details.

Also, most of the time, the information you need is applicable to all kinds of objects - meshing is everywhere, as is texturing.  Chairs might have slots but so do tables. . So it's really more a thing of finding a tutorial that works overall for your issue.

I do agree that tutorials are not well organised since they are split across the wiki and the site - thats something that has been on the list to do (Project CRUMB) for years, we just don't have the staffing power to solve this right now.

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Inventor
Original Poster
#3 Old 24th Apr 2021 at 11:17 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Tashiketh
I'm a bit confused about where this search would even be.  On the forums, on the wiki, where?  Also, all of the tutorials on the site are submitted by creators, it would be a little sad to rename and modify them just because we add the object name and all kinds of other details.

Also, most of the time, the information you need is applicable to all kinds of objects - meshing is everywhere, as is texturing.  Chairs might have slots but so do tables. . So it's really more a thing of finding a tutorial that works overall for your issue.

I do agree that tutorials are not well organised since they are split across the wiki and the site - thats something that has been on the list to do (Project CRUMB) for years, we just don't have the staffing power to solve this right now.

Hello @Tashiketh
I would like the search to be on this site - from the drop down menus of Tutorials where a search box for an object can be entered and all Tutorials mentioning that object are retrieved.
With regard to "Slots" - wouldn't it be simply amazing to go to "S" for Slots?
I appreciate that some Tutorials are applicable to many objects - these would not change whether at basic, intermediate or advanced levels. Perhaps a few could be re-worded if it there is any doubt of their contents.
You may consider it be a little sad to rename and modify Tutorials; it would be tragic for Tutorials not be utilized because they cannot be found without looking through hundreds more to locate it.
I would be willing to volunteer for ProjectCrumb in organizing and re-indexing as required.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#4 Old 24th Apr 2021 at 10:51 PM
Okay so, maybe I'm being dense here, but... there already *is* a search box in Tutorials.  So you could just type in the object name and voila, anything mentioning that object would work.

Screenshots

Inventor
Original Poster
#5 Old 25th Apr 2021 at 7:31 AM Last edited by Ladysimplayer8 : 25th Apr 2021 at 7:51 AM.
Okay so, maybe I'm being dense here, but... there already *is* a search box in Tutorials.  So you could just type in the object name and voila, anything mentioning that object would work.

Hello @Tashiketh,
Thank you for your reply.
If it makes a a difference, I am searching Sims2 Tutorials, so when I click on the drop down menu for Sims2, then Tutorials, this is what I see...

Even when I click to view ALL Tutorials, there is no search facility.
I tried looking at the Sims3 Tutorials but again no search facility...I would appreciate if you could advise me how to locate this search box page in Tutorials.

Update: I have located the Tutorials search facility - hidden away on the Community/All Forums/Tutorials. I certainly didn't know that clicking Tutorials had a link and considered it a heading.
So my suggestion would be to consider placing this Tutorial Search facility at the game drop down menus for Tutorials.
Screenshots
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#6 Old 25th Apr 2021 at 10:30 AM
Okay so what you are looking at there is the Wiki rather than the site.  (Thats why I asked initially)  It's a different site thats basically embedded within MTS, but is handled entirely differently.  A better way, btw, would be to go to Sims 3 -> Modding, and then go from there.

I'll probably modify the navbar to switch out the wiki based tutorials entries for the forum ones, and then link the wiki from the forums instead.

Inventor
Original Poster
#7 Old 25th Apr 2021 at 2:19 PM Last edited by Ladysimplayer8 : 27th Apr 2021 at 5:28 PM.
Okay so what you are looking at there is the Wiki rather than the site.  (Thats why I asked initially)  It's a different site thats basically embedded within MTS, but is handled entirely differently.  A better way, btw, would be to go to Sims 3 -> Modding, and then go from there.

I'll probably modify the navbar to switch out the wiki based tutorials entries for the forum ones, and then link the wiki from the forums instead.

If you do that, that would help myself and probably many others.

27/04/2021 Update:
Hello @Tashiketh
Maybe I am being dense...unable to retrieve any tutorials regarding counters whether I enter counter or counters in the search box. Whilst there is a slim chance that this keyword could be in a Tutorials listed, I would be expecting a tutorial with at least this keyword in the heading instead of tutorials with no relevance e.g. how to delete all characters from a neighborhood...?

Hope you can help
Screenshots