Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#201 Old 10th Mar 2010 at 7:37 PM
Default Apartment
Hey,
Quite simple to make an appartmet:
1. Build a big house with same sized rooms.
2. Put the door with mat on the place your renting out.
3. Make sure wall paper and floor are similar.
4. Have rooms same size.

Hope this helped.
Staffie 247
Advertisement
Site Helper
#202 Old 11th Mar 2010 at 5:27 PM Last edited by Mootilda : 11th Mar 2010 at 7:07 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by staffie 247
Quite simple to make an [apartment]:
1. Build a big house with same sized rooms.
3. Make sure wall paper and floor are similar.
4. Have rooms same size.
All of these are completely unnecessary. Apartment buildings work just fine when they have apartments of varying sizes and colors.
Test Subject
#203 Old 6th Apr 2010 at 10:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by atxpink
I entered one of the pre-made apartment buildings in build mode (also tried it in play mode) entered the cheat to enable build/buy added some walls redid the kitchen. i didn't change any of the exterior walls or add doors or stairs or anything like that. then i turned off the cheat went back to normal mode (tried exiting and reentering the lot) and when i go to place objects in the new kitchen it says "location out of bounds" and won't let me place anything there. and if i use moveobjects on and place the objects my sim is unable to use them. any idea what's up?

What is the build/buy cheat because I missed a door in my apartment kinda need that door....

Synchrogirl
Site Helper
#204 Old 6th Apr 2010 at 4:51 PM
I assume that you're trying to change an occupied apartment.

from: http://www.simswiki.info/wiki.php?t...p:Sims_2_Cheats
boolProp aptSubLotSpecificToolsDisabled false

Two other cheats which may be required, but try the one above first:
boolProp aptBaseLotSpecificToolsDisabled false
apartmentBuildBuyRestrictions off

Further explanation: If your apartment building is occupied, then the aptBaseLot is the unoccupied building and each family has its own aptSubLot. If you want to fix the interior of one occupied apartment, then you (hopefully) just need to change the one aptSubLot. However, if you need to change one of the community areas, then you'll likely have to change the aptBaseLot and possibly each aptSubLot as well.

You should be aware that these cheats can cause problems, so use them sparingly.
Test Subject
#205 Old 7th Oct 2010 at 5:52 AM
I want to thank everyone for all the input, both questions and solutions, that really helped me a lot in creating one of my most favorite apartment lots!!!! THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!

I hope the problems I had and the solutions I came up with help others...so here they are:

I had gotten the "architectural error" message when I tried to change the zoning from residential to apartment. I looked EVERYWHERE for the problem and having four apartments (and six businesses...using MogHouson's mod for apartments and shopping on the same lot), I had no idea where the problem might be. So I headed back out to the hood and discovered that it had changed over to apartments but only showed three of my four apartments were working. That narrowed it down the the problem apartment and after going back in and checking every nook and cranny I found that I had missed two wall panels that were hidden behind the decorative 2nd Empire roof ornaments (very easy to miss behind those things). Once I put the wall panels in (after zoning back to residential and back to hood and back into the lot...ugh) I was able to zone the lot as apartments and IT WORKED!!! Still don't have the right mailbox, but I'll accept that, since this is my all-time favorite apartment setting.

I also had problems with wanting to build an apartment lot on the beach. It ended up "sinking" when I moved my families in, and the ocean was up over the top of the buildings and there were big gaping sky-holes along the edges of the lot. I had the sad feeling that this would never come to fruition, so I thought about other things I could do with that prime lot location. So heading back out to the hood, I used the Relocation Tool to pick up the lot and move it down the road. Having done that, I noticed that the lot changed...so I went back into it to take a look. To my surprise THE LOT HAD RELEVELED ITSELF! I played my families a bit to see if anything hinky showed up, then went back out to the hood and re-leveled the original lot site with an empty lot, bulldozed the empty lot and moved the apartment lot back to the original spot with the relocation tool. I played my families again and the lot remained level! No more flooded inlet where my buildings are!

I hope this helps everyone having similar problems. BTW...I used ruthless_kk 's really cool and awesome Victorian Boardwalk as the blueprint to my new apartment and shopping combination.

Thanks for the awesome tutorials and helps!!!
Test Subject
#206 Old 1st Nov 2010 at 2:43 PM
Hi! Question?

I just recently installed Apartment Life and I'm having a bit of trouble. I've built an apartment building with 4 - 1br apartments. I made sure the doors all have the mat facing outward. No one is living on the lot. I typed the cheat code to convert the residential base apartment I made into an actual apartment. I clicked saved and exited. However, when I go to move a new family in, I'm unable to ... as it states that 0 apartments are available to rent.

Am I doing something wrong? I've also noticed that there are no prices displayed to show what the rent amount would be for renting one of these apartments. I know I'm missing a step ... could someone please help!

Thanks!
Site Helper
#207 Old 1st Nov 2010 at 5:06 PM
Start by reading and following this article: Tutorials:Building_an_Apartmentwiki

If that doesn't help, then read through this thread. You'll see some of the things which cause problems for other people. Make sure that you don't have a problem which has already been documented.

If you still haven't found the problem, then post some large detailed screenshots of your apartment building. There are known problems with modular stairs and some fences, walls, and doors, so be sure that we can see the various architectural details on your lot.
Test Subject
#208 Old 1st Nov 2010 at 7:28 PM
Mootilda : Thanks! I'll see what I can figure out when I get home. If I have any more trouble ... I'll be sure to post it here!

Thanks for helping
Test Subject
#209 Old 2nd Nov 2010 at 1:01 AM
I'm still having issues! Ugh ... I'm about ready to uninstall Apartment Life - this building of your apartment is just so frustrating!

Here's the apartment building I made. Can anyone spot anything out of the ordinary as to explain why when I say and exit, it still states that 0 apartments are available at no cost.

Please ... help!
Test Subject
#210 Old 2nd Nov 2010 at 7:02 PM
I was having the same problems with my apartment building and I am also new at this. There are two doors under build mode. They are right next to each other and in game mode look almost identicle except for one very important difference that us rookies might overlook.....one has a door mat. We have to have the one with the door mat or the game will not recognize the apartments. I hope this helps those of you who have been experiencing this problem.
Test Subject
#211 Old 2nd Nov 2010 at 7:04 PM
ooh-you do have doormats-yikes-no wonder your frustrated.
Scholar
#212 Old 2nd Nov 2010 at 7:11 PM
My eyes are too old for those pictures. But I have a question: did you use any halfwalls anywhere in this building?

If you did, take them out.

Otherwise, my best advice would be to start over with a clean new lot.

But I would say also: don't uninstall Apartment Life. It's really a lot of fun.
transmogrified
retired moderator
#213 Old 2nd Nov 2010 at 7:14 PM
Is the archway into the kitchen a Maxis arch or a custom arch?
Site Helper
#214 Old 2nd Nov 2010 at 7:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lucy kemnitzer
My eyes are too old for those pictures.
I agree. You need larger pictures; it's impossible to see anything useful from these. It might also be helpful to have the walls up.
Test Subject
#215 Old 3rd Nov 2010 at 3:39 AM
O.k. Still having problems. I've uploaded what I hope to be larger pics (sorry, but this is as large as I can get them - sorry if you still can't see 'em)!

I'd really like to use this property I've created as an apartment building, but I still can't get it to function correctly. I even tried taking out all the non-Maxis items (you still will see the old ones here though) and replaced them with Maxis game based items (i.e. Archways, doors, removed halfwalls) and it still won't allow sims to move in or show a price each for the apartments.

Hoping that anyone can still help. Thanks!

Site Helper
#216 Old 4th Nov 2010 at 3:19 AM
I can't see anything obvious. Unless someone else has a better idea, I would suggest:
- Remove the doors to the patios, so that there is only one door into each apartment.
- Remove any half-walls and fences within the apartments.
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#217 Old 7th Nov 2010 at 3:07 AM Last edited by mustluvcatz : 7th Nov 2010 at 6:59 AM.
About the doors to the patios- you can have doors leading to an outside area. But it has to be enclosed and available for that apartment and that apartment only. So if I wanted to build an apartment building with patio/garden areas on the ground floor- each apartment would have to have it's own fenced/walled in area with NO outside access to it. You can also build little patios/porches for upper apartments as long as sims from the apartments next to it can't get onto the patio/porch.

I thought I remembered reading somewhere about steps leading down to the ground, too. At the moment I can't seem to find it and I'm not up to looking at the moment.

Ah- it seems that double arches cause problems? At least that's what I read just a bit ago. I never noticed since I tend to use single arches.
Scholar
#218 Old 7th Nov 2010 at 6:52 AM
Yes, steps leading from an apartment on a foundation into an enclosed outside area are problematic. I recall various methods had been developed for getting around it, but I don't recall what they were. One of them involved an invisible fence, but that became obsolete for some reason.
Test Subject
#219 Old 21st Dec 2010 at 10:08 PM
Hope I don't get in trouble for bumping this thread but...

I used the floor "walk-over" dividers and created an apartment lot with no issues. I'm about to start testing it but in both instances the dividers are not located anywhere near the doors.

Is it just allowing me to create the apartment anyways, despite having the walk-over dividers in there?
Or was this fixed in the patch (I didn't see it in the notes)?

Edit: I've read somewhere that half-walls are allowed, and both borders run up against half-walls at some point.

So a quick follow-up question: will my Sims be able to walk over the floor dividers?
Mad Poster
#220 Old 14th Jan 2011 at 4:46 AM
I have no idea about that last question; sorry.

I have no idea whether this question even belongs here, but it is happening in an apartment building so what the hey.

I have a fourplex I built myself, one unit per floor, no custom content at all, no problems with the zoning change or anything else mentioned in this thread to date. I've been using the first floor apartment for about a week gametime with no problem.

Today I moved a family into the second floor and played Monday through Wednesday. It's an 8-person family, so I had a little trouble with people complaining about not being able to fit on the stairs going up, but all seemed normal. On Wednesday, sims started being unable to leave. I'm not sure when it started as the first person to have "leave" drop out of the queue was low on energy and may have just been skipping his afternoon job, but whatever it is began only after the family members with morning work and school left between 7 and 9. Several people, told to do something downstairs, either dropped the action or behaved as though their way were blocked. Folks came home from school and work just fine, but they now they can't leave. I enabled testingcheats and got an error message with no information in it to come up on the stairs, but the only action I could perform on them was "force error," which did nothing.

I played the downstairs apartment, and they have no trouble going upstairs to visit their new neighbors or coming back down again, so whatever the problem is with those stairs, at the moment it's only glitchy on the second floor. I presume. I haven't tried the third or fourth floors at all yet.

Any ideas?

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Test Subject
#221 Old 12th Feb 2011 at 10:06 AM
Quote: Originally posted by MystiTsu
I am getting frustrated here. I cannot get my mailbox to change. Although the game plays fine without it. I have removed all my custom arches, moved the mailbox around, checked all the doors. The only think i can figure is maybe the onside workout center that is a common area? I have seen people with this issue but no one has mentioned if they had anything like a gym. The gym isn't on the same level as the apartments which are one story(2 twobedrooms and 2 one bedrooms) But it does have a mens and womens locker room. could this be an issue?

This happened in my game but it turned out there was a piece of custom content called mailbox in one of the lots i downloaded that overruled the maxis one so i just search through my downloads and deleted it
Field Researcher
#222 Old 9th Oct 2011 at 10:30 PM
i built a duplex on a beach lot but i want it to have rent separately for the two families so how do i make this work? i saw i wasnt supposed to try and build a apartment on a beach lot but i already built it before i knew and don't want my work to go to waste any ideas?
Site Helper
#223 Old 10th Oct 2011 at 12:52 AM
If your game is fully patched, then you should be able to fix the elevation problem which occurs when a family moves into the lot. Just pick up the lot in the neighborhood view and place it down again. Voila! Problem fixed.

If your game is not fully patched, I have a tutorial which will allow you to fix the bug using SimPE:
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=302405
Alchemist
#224 Old 5th Nov 2011 at 11:01 AM
Just to find it easier as there seems to be still people having issues building apartments on a foundation with private backyards, here is a simple quick easy tutorial Ive written http://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=437141

Rome wasn't built in a day

Need help finding building items, check out my building blog https://bestbuilditems4sims2.wordpress.com/
Lab Assistant
#225 Old 14th Nov 2011 at 8:13 AM
I for some reason cannot place apartment doors, and my sims cannot move into apartments. :/ (I was trying to make a duplex type thing when I realized this.) Below is a link of the error. Not in my game, but someone else who was having the same problem and didn't find a solution.

http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=317160

I am getting the same exact error . Does anyone know what specifically could be causing this?

Edit # 1

I have removed all custom content, re-entered game. (Thinking it was a CC error.) The problem still exists.

Edit #2

Here is the error code.....

Code:
Build: 1.17.0.66
at Oct 11 2008,15:12:07

Object id: 1060
name: Door - 1 Tile - Hotel - 0, 1
Stack size: 5
Error: Illegal owner field in data reference.
Iterations: 2
Frame 4:
Stack Object id: 0
Node: 36
Tree: id 8202 name 'Function - Portal - SG' version -32708
from DoorGlobalsNew
Prim state: 0
Params: 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 Locals: 0 0 0
Frame 3:
Node: 0
Tree: id 8326 name 'Function - Portal - Apartment' version -32758
from DoorGlobalsNew
Params: 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 Locals: 0
Frame 2:
Tree: id -1 name 'No behavior' version 0
from
Prim state: 1
Params: Locals:
Frame 1:
Tree: id 280 name 'Idle' version 2
from global
Params: 3 Locals:
Frame 0:
Tree: id 8310 name 'Function - Main - Hotel Door - Straight' version -32754
from DoorGlobalsNew
Params: Locals: 0 0 0 0

There is more but it is like 100 pages long....
Page 9 of 11