Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
#601 Old 2nd Aug 2010 at 9:48 AM
I was exaggerating when I said terribad, it's just a manner of saying "inferior" for me Sorry if it was taken too seriously!

Bidding peace unto us all,

- Rin
Advertisement
Instructor
#602 Old 10th Aug 2010 at 2:42 AM
Shoosh Malooka, your pictures do not prove anything at all! Your Sims 2 sims have custom skintones, while the Sims 3 Sims don't! Take out your Sims 2 skins, then take the pictures, LOL Sims 3 sims have more detail and can look better with out CC.
Test Subject
#603 Old 13th Aug 2010 at 8:40 AM
Personally, it's the open-end neighbourhood in Sims 3 that does it for me, if nothing else. If the sims 2 could have the same then I probably wouldn't play Sims 3 much, at least not until more EP's are out and there is more cc.

I do like the Sims 3 but I just get bored so easily and I miss loads of the EP's and features from Sims 2. I really hope EA release all the best features from sims 2 as well as adding new stuff for future EP's.

For instance, I miss, miss, miss Seasons. I want weather back. And I want Uni as well but it should be improved on to make it more enjoyable.And Free Time. I want my sims to have more activities to engage in. It'd be awesome if they could have after school activities they could go to.

But anyway my point is that although I like sims 3, if it wasn't for the open-end neighbourhood I probably wouldn't play it anymore. I'd stick to Sims 2. I look forward to seeing what the next EP has to offer though.
Field Researcher
#604 Old 22nd Aug 2010 at 10:33 AM
sims 3 is too slow also the toddlers on ts3 are a bit freaky!
Test Subject
#605 Old 22nd Aug 2010 at 4:48 PM
Default Just returned to Sims 2
I have just reinstalled Sims 2 and all expansion packs and I cannot tell you how much I have missed S2: pets, weather, university, nightlife and yes you can go into the community lots and play your Sim. Yes the load times are aggravating, but I have 5.5 gbs of custom content! Yes it is not perfect, but it runs with all the patches and custom content.

I have been playing 3 and the expansion packs and I kept telling myself there are things I like about it and I kept telling myself it will get better, but the last patch killed my game. This was not the first patch that required me to reinstall Sims 3, while losing everything I had worked for.

So in a nut shell until EA figures a way to actually make Sims 3 something that will work as smoothly as Sims 2 then I might return. I think for me the two most aggravating things about Sims 3 are: the balloon faces of the Sims that cannot be changed they always look rounded and balloon like and the download manager needs to go away or fixed once and for all. It seems the download manager is the cause of much of the frustration with Sims 3.

So I'm home and feels really good to be be here bool prop and all!
Test Subject
#606 Old 28th Aug 2010 at 3:28 PM
Default Sims 3... really?
Am I the only one who feels "abandoned" because I don't like Sims 3? Even my real-life friends love Sims 3 more than Sims 2. I personally think Sims 2 is a sweetspot of decent gameplay and semi-but-not-complete realism. Am I the only "crazy" who thinks this way?
Field Researcher
#607 Old 28th Aug 2010 at 3:35 PM
I really don't like TS3
I want to sell it to get money for TS2 expansion packs
Inventor
#608 Old 28th Aug 2010 at 3:37 PM
There's already quite a few threads on this topic but personally I like them both. I still play TS2 more because I want to complete the legacy I started there and I am enjoying all the different gameplay I get from the different expansion packs that TS3 just doesn't have yet. However, I really enjoy building a lot more in TS3 and love the story progression and open neighborhood.

kittens!
Forum Resident
#609 Old 28th Aug 2010 at 3:44 PM
I love them both equally, but I would say I will definately play Sims 3 more when alot more expansions come out. I personally play Sims 3 more at the moment because of its customisation options! But its story progression nearly made my Sunset Valley a deserted town!

~ Guysim's Behance Profile ~

"When This baby goes 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious !*@#"
- Doctor Emment Brown A.K.A Doc, Back To The Future
Test Subject
#610 Old 28th Aug 2010 at 4:20 PM
My friend loves Sims 3 but she hates its lack of pets :p
Top Secret Researcher
#611 Old 28th Aug 2010 at 4:23 PM
I like TS2 more. So, I'll join your "mad" list.
Lab Assistant
#612 Old 28th Aug 2010 at 4:39 PM Last edited by RuthStar : 28th Aug 2010 at 4:40 PM. Reason: spelt a word wrong.
Ooh, add me to the "Mad" list, I had sims 3 installed for around 5 weeks when i decided the lack of weather and pets and cartoonish faces just hindred my enjoyment of the game. I play sims 2 most days, I've had sims 3 uninstalled for about a year now, No desire to reinstall at the current time.
I never got hooked on Sims 3 like i still am with Sims 2, My favorite sims story of all time (Little Fire Burning Btw) is on Sims 2, I'd love the open freedom that sims 3 has on Sims 2, but the realistic looking characters and weather and pets makes up for that.
Loading screens are a mute point, but with my game having about 40 odd thousand files in my downloads folder that's self explanatory.
Theorist
#613 Old 28th Aug 2010 at 4:56 PM
You're not alone. Most simmers look back at TS2 and marvel beneath the wide scope of material brought by its expansion packs. At its time, TS2 marched into new territory with virtually complete freedom of camera movement, real simlish ( TS1 simlish was really muttering and mumbling ), superior building tools, an olympic leap in graphics, the introduction of woohoo, and an armada of modders to make things happen. But TS3 seemed to tread the same waters as its predecessor, offering very little that the former was missing, and leaving out material that could have been included in the base game. TS3 simmers realize that we are being dragged through the expansion / stuff pack money machine and eating much of the same meal as last time. Moreover, some of the super-hyped features in TS3 became disappointments - we got an open neighborhood but it led to rabbit holes ( many simmers don't like this ), and they gave us Story Progression which is an alternate way of spelling 'broken.'

TS3 with all current material is not enough of a step to match or one-up the hyperjump that was TS2 with all expansions. But keep your eyes looking forward because Late Night is on the horizon and it will, imo, put the first nail in TS2's coffin. But there will need to be more nails, original and solid, to complete the process and finally lay the mighty beast TS2 to rest.
Top Secret Researcher
#614 Old 28th Aug 2010 at 5:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Shoosh Malooka
But keep your eyes looking forward because Late Night is on the horizon and it will, imo, put the first nail in TS2's coffin. But there will need to be more nails, original and solid, to complete the process and finally lay the mighty beast TS2 to rest.

You might prove right, or wrong. For me, what makes TS2 better than TS3 is not the availability of expansion packs and content, but the fact the Sims look and behave soulless when compared to TS2. So, if we are going to put the nail in TS2's coffin we will need more than just some shiny expansion packs, which translates into TS3 Sims behave differently and, most importantly, more entertaining. I seriously doubt EAtards are going to change this any time soon, if ever.
Theorist
#615 Old 28th Aug 2010 at 6:32 PM
Yes, they did make an honest effort to make TS3 conversations and reactions more natural. But this carries the side effect that they also seem much less interested, even lethargic, in comparison to TS2's emotional reactions ( a little exaggerated, but more compelling than TS3's borefest ). But now it's too late for them to switch back now that they've laid their infrastructure, unless they consider bringing back the voice actors so that they can supplement more lively and captivating reactions and discussions.

Btw, I was originally responding to aypby169's topic, but it got merged into this one to create more confusion.

But don't get me wrong, I have all three Sims games and play them. If you really want to see exaggerated reactions then that would be in TS1, where the two voice actors really hammed it up. The jump from TS1 to TS2 was huge, and not so much from TS2 to TS3. They need to shift their agenda back to originality and create something truly spectacular if they want to 'sunset' TS2.
Mad Poster
#616 Old 28th Aug 2010 at 9:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Shoosh Malooka
They need to shift their agenda back to originality and create something truly spectacular if they want to 'sunset' TS2.
I don't think it's possible to sunset TS2, neither TS2 and TS3 have sunsetted TS1 yet, and it's been 10 years since it came out.

Quote:
TS3 simmers realize that we are being dragged through the expansion / stuff pack money machine and eating much of the same meal as last time.
I must be a bit slow, but I have not yet realized this. So far I've got my monies worth starting from the base game, and including the two EPs that we now have. What we get in EP's has been much more that what we got in TS2 EPs. Lets hope LN continues in his track, because at least for now, the info we have gotten, is indicating it's going to be amazing, much more so than NL.

Quote:
Moreover, some of the super-hyped features in TS3 became disappointments - we got an open neighborhood but it led to rabbit holes ( many simmers don't like this ), and they gave us Story Progression which is an alternate way of spelling 'broken.'
I agree on EA's story progression being a huge fail, but considering there are great mods out there that let you tweak it to the way you want it, I wouldn't say this is a huge nail to TS3's coffin. TS2 has lots of fails in it as well, some that broke your game, but with hacks they were fixed and people have accepted they were there and now they are not. Shouldn't TS3 get the same treatment?

And about rabbit holes, TS2 is full of them as well, nothing new in here. I don't get why it's a fail if you can physically point out that this is the building my sim works in, or my sim goes to school in, but it's superior not to be able to point out where exactly do they work at, because they just disappear. I'm not saying never open restaurants, or the spa or the cinema, but not all rabbit holes are evil. Some actually serve a point.

The open neighbourhood brought much more than rabbit holes. It gave you the ability to visit other sims, something you couldn't properly do in TS2. A few rabbit holes instead of being bound to your lot, is not a bad deal.
Test Subject
#617 Old 1st Sep 2010 at 8:06 PM
I like the simultaneous aging in TS3 & the camera. I like driving own car/bike in TS3 (mod). Hate the neighborhood view, the story of the include sims doesn't fallow TS2, and most everything else.

`Still play TS2; TS3 bores me.
Mad Poster
#618 Old 15th Sep 2010 at 10:03 AM
i have to say, i'm actually really glad ts3 wasn't what some people expected. it's good to know that people aren't abandoning the sims 2 completely. without it, we wouldn't be where we are now.

i appreciate that people are still playing it. after my computer reimage, i only installed the base game for a dose of nostalgia.

but i will be reinstalling all of the expansions when i'm done being lazy. :p

i also noticed that the sims 1 has been a little.. forgotten about. there's not any subforums here for it, so it's like it doesn't exist sometimes. i'm happily reinstalling that one right now, too. the sims games have come so far, and i'm really proud of the franchises success. i've been with the sims since i've first bought the ts1 deluxe edition.
Forum Resident
#619 Old 15th Sep 2010 at 10:36 AM
Well even thought I never bought The Sims 3, I have read about it and seen pictures, and there are some things that seem good or something I want, but really I like The Sims 2 a whole lot better, I guess because I like all the things in it. But I might buy The Sims 3 one day to see how much I may like it.
Test Subject
#620 Old 16th Sep 2010 at 7:32 AM
I do not like Sims 3 much. :I Sims 2 is a lot more reliable. Even with tons of CC and all the expansion packs, it runs just fine for everyone I've spoken to who owns it.

As for 3, just go to the website and look at the forums. There are bugs EVERYWHERE, a ton of people including myself can't even get the game to run without either crashing or going so slowly that it takes an HOUR to load up a neighborhood. And that's without CC!

Sims 2 is tried and true. (teehee i rhymed. :D) The game itself with all its EPs doesn't seem to have any bugs that make a certain bit unplayable or make sound not load. I hope Sims 3 can do this someday too, but until then it's 2 for me. Plus it's easier to mod content for TS2 >_>

I have a project going where I am making EVERY Phoenix Wright character from the first three games. Victims, witnesses, anyone who plays any sort of role. Stuff for the minor characters is DESPERATELY needed, so if you have anything you can link me to PLEASE PM it to me!
Alchemist
#621 Old 16th Sep 2010 at 11:12 AM
TS2 wins for me. I really tried to enjoy 3 but got tired of all the tweaking and poking and prodding I had to do to make it behave, got tired of reinstalling, converting all my sims3pack files into .packages just to hear that too many .packages slows it down, got tired of corrupt families and neighborhoods, patch upon patch upon patch upon patch and trying to sort out what fucking order to install them all in... I spent more time trying to nurse TS3 back to health than actually playing the damn thing. So I blasted it off my hard drive after the "WA hating .packages or CC period" thing. Actually the game crashed to desktop while I was in a tomb or something, and I just said to hell with it and uninstalled and have not played since. I don't consider myself to be inept when it comes to "how to do computers", but TS3 just put me on my ass time and time again until I gave up and went and played something less finicky.

TS2 was buggy, but at least playable. The issues, when they arose, were easier to sort out. TS3 is almost intimidating in its errors.

Crazily enough, I do vaguely miss TS3, and I am excited to play Late Night when it comes out. I prefer the downtown environment and have wanted to play vampires since the base game. So I'm going to try and reinstall the whole mess and get it patched today. I'm nervous about it, I really am. I wish I had an expert online to help me with patching it. Anyone want to volunteer? lol.

And hell, what file type are you people using for CC these days? I really don't like Sims3packs. I've read about people "merging" their mods and that increases performance? I wonder what that means. I'm truly out of the loop. And I've written too much.
Test Subject
#622 Old 18th Sep 2010 at 2:37 AM
I just finally bought Sims 3 now that I have a decent enough computer to play it...I've been playing Sims since the very first original game came out.

I lasted about fifteen minutes before I switched back to S2. Maybe I'm just lazy, but CAS was totally exhausting! The ability to customize every single little detail is great in theory, but choosing the colour of the skin and hair highlights and lowlights and colours and patterns of the clothes, and then choosing the colour and patterns of all the furniture in buy mode...it was just too much.

A seamless neighbourhood is, again, great in theory, but keeping track of several Sims who are in different places all at once was also tiring and annoying. It's hard enough taking care of a large family in one house, nevermind constantly switching between the park, the store, etc etc.

A waste of $50.
Mad Poster
#623 Old 18th Sep 2010 at 8:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by coltraz
And hell, what file type are you people using for CC these days? I really don't like Sims3packs. I've read about people "merging" their mods and that increases performance? I wonder what that means. I'm truly out of the loop. And I've written too much.

Sucks you have had trouble with your game, hopefully LN will not be as troublesome for you as WA was.

To your question:

Sims3packs slowed my game down so much it made it impossible to play the game, uninstalling them was the cure (this happened after WA came out, before it, they were fine). Simple .package files work great, and have not slowed my game down at all. The only thing I have currently as Sims3packs is the CC world I use, and one podium and one cross I've downloaded from one site, and some items that came with Riverview. If I really want some piece of CC that comes only in Sims3packs form, I will install it, and then take the package file it creates in one folder, then uninstall the original CC via the launcher and use the package file instead. But it's very seldom a Sims3packs only CC is worth the trouble, and thankfully most CC creators seem to use .package files or, have both files for download and then you can choose.

Quote: Originally posted by likethestore
I lasted about fifteen minutes before I switched back to S2. Maybe I'm just lazy, but CAS was totally exhausting! The ability to customize every single little detail is great in theory, but choosing the colour of the skin and hair highlights and lowlights and colours and patterns of the clothes,
You are not lazy, CAS is exhausting, even TS2 CAS was too much for me, which is why instead of agonizing over it and hating the whole game for this one feature that I did not like, I just used the bare minimum of it, and when it became possible, started downloading my sims.

Quote:
and then choosing the colour and patterns of all the furniture in buy mode...it was just too much.
It is too much, but thankfully there is that wonderful randomize button in the top right corner of the screen, that randomizes both colour and pattern. Without it, all my sims furniture would in stripe pattern.

I agree on CAS being too much, if you don't like it, but when you are in mirror mode, it's quite relaxing actually. Choosing the hair colour, stripes, root and tip is not overwhelming any more. And it beats filling your download folder with recolours.
Test Subject
#624 Old 28th Mar 2011 at 11:47 AM
I'm one of those who uninstalled Sims 2 and bought Sims 3 and even the first expansion. I can't remember exactly what happened, but one of the patches made the game really unstable, and I realized I just really missed the Sims 2. I wasn't getting the same enjoyment out of Sims 3 even though I did enjoy the holiday adventures, and I LOVED the open neighbourhoods. Still, I decided I just wasn't that into Sims 3, went back to Sims 2 and have been enjoying it ever since. I haven't kept up with any news of Sims 3 at all and don't even have any idea how many new expansions there are. I just don't care really. It's not that the Sims 3 is a bad game, I just like the Sims 2 better. I love the apartments, the weather, the vampires. I even like the look better. I found it really hard to make attractive sims in Sims 3. Maybe I just suck at that sort of thing, lol.
Lab Assistant
#625 Old 30th Mar 2011 at 6:52 AM
I ran out and bought TS3 the day it came out! I was so pumped. Payed $50 on it and I was bouncing it my seat on the drive home. I get home, pop it in my computer, download it, and start to play it. Loading...I love it...still loading....OMG I CANT WAIT TO PLAY IT...it finally loads, took nearly 10 minutes ._. after that let down I go straight to CAS (after a questionable look at the neighborhood menu) and I'm let completely down again. I hated the way all the sims looked (the double chin thing...really wtf?). But I continue to play it anyway thinking that it will get better....It didn't. I just really did not like the game play. And the sims don't have memories!! That's one of my favorite features in TS2! I was really let down. I expected so much more.

Like a lot of other TS2 players, I create stories for my whole neighborhood, and it's nearly impossible with TS3. It made me really sad. I didn't even play TS2 for like two weeks. Eventually, I uninstalled TS3 and just played TS2.

BUT that's not it! I decided to give TS3 a second chance about...3 months ago. I downloaded to my laptop and...sort of really liked it. I made and adult female and played JUST her. The day I decided to get her family....ugh it was horrible. Hated the game all over again.

The fact of the matter is, TS3 lacks A LOT of features that TS2 has, and that just makes it less appealing.
Page 25 of 32