Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st May 2013 at 5:27 PM Last edited by nicole-sims : 26th May 2013 at 11:38 PM. Reason: Orthographic mistake

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Can't enable 'smooth edges' (SOLVED)
Hi everyone!

I started my sims 2 game today hoping to make some pictures, but to my surprise, when I entered camera mode and quit this mode, the sims menu dissapeared.
Meaning, I wasn't in camera mode (Tab mode), 'cause I could click on objects selecting actions for my sims, but I was still apparantly in camera mode 'cause I wasn't able to select life, buy or build mode, not even when pressing F1, F2 and F3.

I exited the game pressing Q in camera mode 'cause I wasn't able to fix this.

Also, before that I noticed that I wasn't able to enable the 'Smooth edges' option, wich appears greyed out, so everytime I take a picture with Fraps, it appeares quite over-sharpened, like the attached picture.

I've read this post here http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=469593 but mine ain't the same case, since I've got a pretty fast laptop with and integrated Nvida graphic card, which allows me to play The Sims 3 with all the expansion packs and with high graphics.

I've got the best graphic options checked and never had noticed that I didn't have the option unable, since I've been only playing and not photographing my ol' little sims lately

Sorry for my horrible English, I ain't native, and I hope I explained myself rightly.

Thanks a lot for reading!
Screenshots
Advertisement
Test Subject
Original Poster
#2 Old 21st May 2013 at 6:42 PM
Fixed the first issue pressing F10. This was the key I chose in Fraps to make a screenshot, but I still can't enable Smooth edges ...
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 25th May 2013 at 5:06 PM Last edited by nicole-sims : 26th May 2013 at 7:30 PM.
Also read this post here http://www.modthesims.info/m/showthread.php?t=474394 but smooth edges is still grey
Site Helper
#4 Old 25th May 2013 at 5:33 PM
Are you sure that your computer is up to playing with smooth edges? Integrated graphics chips tend to be underpowered for the game, especially when you have Seasons and Apartment Life installed. Over time, you can actually destroy your computer:
http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title...nboard_Graphics

If you post your exact specs, we can check whether you should be trying to enable this option:
http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title...lp:System_Specs

I know that I've seen an article about enabling features when your graphics card isn't recognized by the game. You should definitely ensure that your computer is up to the task before overriding the game's limitations:
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=479610
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 26th May 2013 at 5:07 PM Last edited by nicole-sims : 26th May 2013 at 5:51 PM. Reason: System specs
I posted my system specs in a thread some time ago, and I was gonna link it to avoid having to find them again, but I guess it is in the archive.
I'll update this post again with my system specs.
Thanks for answering! This was starting to look like an inner monologue

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 5/26/2013, 18:10:04
Machine name: NICOLE-PC
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.120830-0333)
Language: Spanish (Regional Setting: Spanish)
System Manufacturer: Packard Bell
System Model: EasyNote TS44HR
BIOS: InsydeH2O Version V1.08
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2410M CPU @ 2.30GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.3GHz
Memory: 3948MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 3948MB RAM
Page File: 3713MB used, 4180MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
Chip type: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
DAC type: Internal
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0116&SUBSYS_05111025&REV_09
Display Memory: 1760 MB
Dedicated Memory: 128 MB
Shared Memory: 1632 MB
Current Mode: 1366 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor Name: Monitor PnP genérico
Monitor Model: unknown
Monitor Id: AUO26EC
Native Mode: 1366 x 768(p) (60.014Hz)
Output Type: Internal
Driver Name: igdumd64.dll,igd10umd64.dll,igd10umd64.dll,igdumdx32,igd10umd32,igd10umd32
Driver File Version: 8.15.0010.2272 (English)
Driver Version: 8.15.10.2272
DDI Version: 10.1
Driver Model: WDDM 1.1
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 12/23/2010 19:44:18, 7439360 bytes

------------------------
Disk & DVD/CD-ROM Drives
------------------------
Drive: C:
Free Space: 136.4 GB
Total Space: 699.4 GB
File System: NTFS
Model: TOSHIBA MK7559GSXP

--------------
System Devices
--------------

Name: NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M
Device ID: PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0DF4&SUBSYS_05121025&REV_A1\4&22FDAB3E&0&0008
Driver: n/a

IMPORTANT: Please note that my graphic cart is an NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M as seen below, I think the problem is my laptop/the game thinks it's the Intel HD graphic card. I'm 100% sure it has the NVIDA card.
Site Helper
#6 Old 26th May 2013 at 5:33 PM
Here's an article about ensuring that the game is using the right graphics. Perhaps this will help?
https://www.modthesims.info/sh...ad.php?t=481768
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 26th May 2013 at 7:24 PM
I tried the last link, but guess what, it didn't work. While playing The Sims 2 and clicking the Nvidia icon, it shows no GPU activity at al.
I'm trying to get really upset, 'cause if got this beautiful neigbourhood with lots and families ready to be part of my sims storie, but the pictures I make are still horrible. I've made a small improvement though (See the picture below), changing some graphic options in the Nvidia control panel, but somehow my game doesn't seem to like my graphic card... t.t

I also tried the 'Make your beach pretty' guide, although it didn't work, but it also didn't cause me any glitches.
Thanks a lot Mootilda, I'm gonna keep on building my story and maybe try upgrading the pictures quality in photoshop. If anyone knows any other option I could try, please tell me!

Née whiterider
retired moderator
#8 Old 26th May 2013 at 9:25 PM
Which exe file did you specify in your nVidia control panel?

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 26th May 2013 at 9:37 PM
SimsEP9.exe (Mansion and garden). I also tried with Base game
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#10 Old 26th May 2013 at 11:04 PM
I wonder if this thread might help? I'm not convinced by the OP's reasoning, since nVidia have been using 3xx drivers for years now, but he does claim that modifying the GraphicsRules.sgr fixed his problem nonetheless (remember to back the file up first). I also wonder what the uintProp antialiasingSupport line says, in your GraphicsRules.sgr.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 26th May 2013 at 11:12 PM
I already tried changing my Graphics log, this is what mine says;

uintProp antialiasingSupport 1

EDIT: Here's a summary of my config log;

Global properties
-----------------------
uintProp propertyRevision 6
boolProp allowCustomContent true
boolProp animationLOD false
uintProp antialiasingQuality 0

Device properties
-----------------
boolProp useRenderTextures false
uintProp antialiasingSupport 1
boolProp dontMergeNHFlora true
boolProp enableDriverMemoryManager false
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 26th May 2013 at 11:38 PM Last edited by nicole-sims : 27th May 2013 at 1:25 PM.
I FINALLY GOT IT TO WORK!

SO the problem was I didn't change all the 'boolProp enumerateMultisampleLevels false' to true in the Graphic rules.txt
Thanks a lot to everyone who's taken the time reading my complaints, happy simming ^^

Before:

After: