Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Scholar
#25226 Old 22nd Oct 2020 at 1:20 AM
@monijt1 As mentioned by others Plantsims make good employees for just about anything as long as you put up the grow lights and they have access to water. In the past when I've had them in my hood I tend to use them like servos or more as a replacement for servos. Mostly this is due to my never having had a servo in any of the hoods I've run. There is just something about the permanence of them that bothers me coupled with how they look and the fact sims can interact with them romantically. I also find Plantsims a bit boring to play as they are very one dimensional.

I currently have one family that is close to being millionaires and that is because one of them is a very successful business owner. I'm more than likely going to siphon a lot of those funds off to the town soon. I haven't decided on what or how much it might be an endowment to the Uni with buildings in his name.
Advertisement
Alchemist
#25227 Old 22nd Oct 2020 at 2:36 AM
Another random question...am I imagining things, or is the Aquaplus showertub supposed to have a working curtain?

My sims never close the curtain when taking a shower or bath. Some of them have 6 neatness, so it isn't because they are all sloppy.
I'm using HugeLunatic's backless version, but I couldn't see any mention of the curtains being broken.

My new downloads are on my Pillowfort
Instructor
#25228 Old 22nd Oct 2020 at 2:37 AM
Thanks for the info on Plantsims. I never thought about using them for business purposes. I really need to get the guts to play the supernaturals besides Aliens.

Quote: Originally posted by Phantomknight
@sturlington, it sounds like she was moved in as a roommate, instead of being moved in as a normal member of the household. In any case, you can also try resetting her with boolprop or moving her out, and then back in.
ETA: Oh, it looks like you got your sim fixed, sturlington--that's great.

@monijt1, Plantsims make very good business employees/owners/crafters, pretty much for all the reasons enebya mentioned. I think if you have multiple Plantsims, their Spores of Happiness will affect each other and they can keep each other in a perpetual good mood. Overall though, I don't play them often and find them boring--they're very overpowered, much like good witches, but much less fun. Though Midgethetree did make some mods to give them access to spells.

Anyway, as for sim millionaires, I have had one or two--all have been business owners who I wanted to have a certain amount of wealth. Basically I ran a ticket machine business until I made insane amounts of money, then I left, determined not to go back for a long, long while. I don't always do this---letting my sims earn 500,000 or 750,000 is usually plenty enough. But I know for sure I got to a million with Mortimer Goth. I wanted to renovate the house, start a few businesses, and give his kids trust funds, so the money actually went pretty quick--I mean, they should still have a couple hundred thousand in the household funds, but yeah. The biggest reason for all the money was that I wanted to set up a bank and switch Pleasantview over to an integrated hood economy--everyone taking out a loan would be borrowing from Goth Bank. I haven't played the hood in a while, so I didn't get as far as other sims actually getting loans from the Goths, but Mortimer did manage to build a bank branch and stock the vault. I think I was debating how many branches to set up and if I wanted my criminal sims to be able to rob the bank. Otherwise, the Goths would be a little like AndrewGloria was suggesting; the family would fund town buildings and projects. I wanted the Goth name to be everywhere. They would probably donate a new building at the Academie, and get it named after them, and I think I wanted them to start a research laboratory.

You could also use rich sims to set up land ownership in your hood. In my Veronaville right now, even though Consort isn't a millionaire, I'm setting up the family to go into real estate. They'll sell deeds to make money, but also, whenever anyone wants to buy property, they'll have to buy from the Capps or pay them rent. You can do this through mods, like setting up an automatic payment with Monique's mod or using Inge's Lot Income Rights.

I used Monique's notebook mod for real estate before and I wasn't really happy with the results. I think I'll try the Income Rights the next time I have a sim enter the real estate business.

There's no drama, like Sims drama.

Currently Playing: Sims 2 again!

Mad Poster
#25229 Old 22nd Oct 2020 at 5:04 AM
Quote: Originally posted by aelflaed
Another random question...am I imagining things, or is the Aquaplus showertub supposed to have a working curtain?

My sims never close the curtain when taking a shower or bath. Some of them have 6 neatness, so it isn't because they are all sloppy.
I'm using HugeLunatic's backless version, but I couldn't see any mention of the curtains being broken.
I think my Sims leave the curtain open when having a bath, but close it when having a shower. Which makes sense if you think about it. You close the curtain for a shower to try to stop water splashing onto the floor. But you're much less likely to splash water on the floor if you're using it as a bath, so you don't bother closing the curtain.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Mad Poster
#25230 Old 22nd Oct 2020 at 8:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by AndrewGloria
I don't have Seasons, so I don't have Plantsims, but even if I did have Seasons, I'd mod them out. I like all my Sims to be characters that I could conceivably meet.

You're about the opposite of me. XD I like my sims to have magic and fantasy and all the stuff I can't have.
Theorist
#25231 Old 22nd Oct 2020 at 12:44 PM Last edited by Essa : 22nd Oct 2020 at 4:01 PM.
Does someone know what the "reverse furious token" is about?
I failed at finding a satisfactory response.
Instructor
#25232 Old 22nd Oct 2020 at 1:05 PM
All I know about reverse furious tokens is that Boling Oil's Sim Loaded gets rid of them (according to Midgethetree).

I have another question, is the mailbox connected to the family friends of a household? I ask that because I watched a let's player accidentally delete a mailbox. The family she is playing lost all their family friends and has empty relationship panels.

There's no drama, like Sims drama.

Currently Playing: Sims 2 again!

Mad Poster
#25233 Old 22nd Oct 2020 at 3:37 PM
^ Mailboxes (and trashcans, I think?) are important for the residential zoning, and deleting the mailbox with sims living on the lot is a big no-no (especially saving the lot and going to the neighborhood). That's probably why it went as it went.

You always need a mailbox on a residential (or apartment) lot, or it starts doing strange things - and you should never save and leave the lot without putting a mailbox (and trashcan) on there, unless you're in the process of rezoning (without sims living there, of course).
Scholar
#25234 Old 22nd Oct 2020 at 5:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by monijt1
Random Q's:

Outside of gardening, what are the benefits of having a Plantsim in a household?

Does anyone have Sims that are millionaires?

Another handy thing about PlantSims is that being spooked by a ghost has pretty much no effect on their motives. So if you want ghosts in your cemetery but don't want to risk having another Sim scared to death in the first haunting, you can have somebody from an all-PlantSim household move in, collect the grave, then move back home and tend it in their Garden of Remembrance. Once the ghost has spawned, the grave can be sent to the cemetery. This involves some exchange of funds, of course, with PlantSims moving in and out of other households, but I actually quite like it - I see it as the Shaman charging the bereaved whatever they can reasonably afford, and sometimes even giving money to the very poor.

If my PlantSims were that way inclined, they would quite quickly become millionaires with all the money they make from working as nannies to the nobility and undertakers to society at large, but they don't believe in private property; their greatest wealth is family and anyone who's just picked up a big payment will immediately forward funds to any PlantSim household that needs it.
Field Researcher
#25235 Old 22nd Oct 2020 at 5:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by BlueAlien
So if you want ghosts in your cemetery but don't want to risk having another Sim scared to death in the first haunting

Is the first haunting the most likely time for a sim to be scared to death by a ghost?

I almost always move my urns/gravestone to a cemetery right away because when I don't I quickly get annoyed by the ghost waking up their loved ones at all hours trying to KILL them with fear. I've never actually had anyone die of this cause, but Daniel Pleasant kept waking up his son Danny to the point that it was INTOLERABLE that he stay.
Mad Poster
#25236 Old 22nd Oct 2020 at 6:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
You're about the opposite of me. XD I like my sims to have magic and fantasy and all the stuff I can't have.
But we both like the Iwatobi Swim Club. And I think we have a similar taste in hair. Inspired by your recent WCIF, I downloaded all the Ren (Louis) hairs (both male and female) here on MTS. Here are some randomly generated Sims with those hairs in CAS:

Greetings from all my Sims to all of yours!

P.S. And my Sims live the sort of lives that I wish I could live, :lovestruc
Screenshots

My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
Scholar
#25237 Old 23rd Oct 2020 at 12:35 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Coriel_Muroz
Is the first haunting the most likely time for a sim to be scared to death by a ghost?

I almost always move my urns/gravestone to a cemetery right away because when I don't I quickly get annoyed by the ghost waking up their loved ones at all hours trying to KILL them with fear. I've never actually had anyone die of this cause, but Daniel Pleasant kept waking up his son Danny to the point that it was INTOLERABLE that he stay.

Admittedly I don't play with a ton of ghosts as honestly I'm a big chicken and they give me the willies. Seriously.

However, I'm pretty sure death by fear is like other possible deaths in that the motives of your sims are the question. A sim with low motives is more likely to perish than one with motives full. The first haunting might be more likely in that the ghost is very active and may scare a sim more than once getting those motives really low. I don't think the first haunting has any other kind of boost making it more likely for sims to die of fear than that.

I've just discovered a hidden cache of Prima guides on my computer. I didn't realize I had saved all of them. I did read a couple of things I didn't know was possible and both are lightning-related.

The first is if a sim is hit by lightning while swimming it will cause a chain reaction and carry to everyone in the pool. Is that true? I've never seen a sim hit while swimming at all. I assumed it was possible but again I've never seen it.

The second is that the lightning rod works if placed on a roof. I've always thought it had to be placed on the ground and it was nothing but decoration if actually on the roof. I know I got that info years ago and have since always put it on the ground. Anyone know if it does work if it's on the roof?
Scholar
#25238 Old 23rd Oct 2020 at 2:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Coriel_Muroz

No, all hauntings are equally dangerous, and especially if there's a pregnant Sim on the lot, since their motives are hard to maintain even without the ghost scaring them. But ghosts will only spawn for the first time on a residential lot, so if you want ghosts in your cemetery, you have to let them haunt once at home (or at least in somebody's home). Moving the grave to a lot occupied only by PlantSims allows you to do this safely.

I say all hauntings are equally dangerous: in theory, a regular haunting is less dangerous than an 'angry' haunting, which occurs when the grave has been kicked, the ghost's bed has been deleted, or the Sims living in the house are not related to the ghost. However, I have had several Sims scared to death by their own parent or grandparent spooking them every few minutes, giving them no time to recuperate.
Mad Poster
#25239 Old 23rd Oct 2020 at 2:32 AM
Trying out a few hair defaults, am trying to figure out what hairs are generated by particular EPs & SPs. When I look at the hairs (via having a Sim go to a mirror to change appearance) hairs have various icons - which are to small for me to see... and even if I could see, might not be able to ID them. Also some hairs have the CC star, but there are also a group that show NO icon or ID.
Is there a chart somewhere that shows & names these icons?

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Forum Resident
#25240 Old 23rd Oct 2020 at 3:31 AM
Quote: Originally posted by BlueAlien
But ghosts will only spawn for the first time on a residential lot, so if you want ghosts in your cemetery, you have to let them haunt once at home (or at least in somebody's home). Moving the grave to a lot occupied only by PlantSims allows you to do this safely.

This seems to assume that cemeteries are not residential lots. The cemetery I have in my Shape Island hood is a residential lot with more than 100 graves now on it. The cemetery caretakers are a pair of Simbots (i.e. Servo Sims), which I believe like PlantSims, are also immune to the effects of hauntings.

All of my Conversions, Creations and Stories may be found here:
HobbesED's Conversions and Creations

My most recently shared items (with pictures) may also be found here:
HobbesED's Dreamwidth

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#25241 Old 23rd Oct 2020 at 3:33 AM
If they have no star they might be store hairs or from the story versions.

Quote: Originally posted by HobbesED
The cemetery caretakers are a pair of Simbots (i.e. Servo Sims), which I believe like PlantSims, are also immune to the effects of hauntings.

Robot caretakers, creepy.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Scholar
#25242 Old 23rd Oct 2020 at 3:54 AM
Quote: Originally posted by grammapat
Trying out a few hair defaults, am trying to figure out what hairs are generated by particular EPs & SPs. When I look at the hairs (via having a Sim go to a mirror to change appearance) hairs have various icons - which are to small for me to see... and even if I could see, might not be able to ID them. Also some hairs have the CC star, but there are also a group that show NO icon or ID.
Is there a chart somewhere that shows & names these icons?

They will be sorted in order of EP/SP with basegame and any product you don't have an icon for (like Store Edition) having no icon.
Alchemist
#25243 Old 23rd Oct 2020 at 4:48 AM
Quote: Originally posted by AndrewGloria
I think my Sims leave the curtain open when having a bath, but close it when having a shower. Which makes sense if you think about it. You close the curtain for a shower to try to stop water splashing onto the floor. But you're much less likely to splash water on the floor if you're using it as a bath, so you don't bother closing the curtain.

That's the behaviour I thought should be happening. I suppose I must have a mod conflict or something. Question is, is it worth looking for? Hmm. Thanks for your confirmation!

My new downloads are on my Pillowfort
Mad Poster
#25244 Old 23rd Oct 2020 at 4:57 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Chris Hatch
They will be sorted in order of EP/SP with basegame and any product you don't have an icon for (like Store Edition) having no icon.

I don't know what "Store Edition" is. I tried 2 different hair defaults; one has ALL EP"S and SP's, the other has "some"; I know the icons are from those defaults. The point is that some of the hairs I don't like, and want to remove the default for that hair, but I can't tell what they are. I can't even tell what EP etc they are, because the icons on them are so small - but even if I could SEE them, I wouldn't know what they stand for. I know I've seen them before, in relation to specific packs, but I don't remember what they are. Like: this icon looks like a blue rectangle, with a point downward, with a green..plumbob?, that icon looks like a rectangle with a red background, with a green strip on the bottom, and a green plumbob). So if I went into the download folder, and knew the ones I wanted to delete were from Freetime, I could go into the Freetime sub-folder and try to find it. I know Maxis hairs all have a name, but don't see a name via clean installer. If I can't a specific hair I don't care for, I might just remove all the hairs from a particular EP/SP

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Field Researcher
#25245 Old 23rd Oct 2020 at 5:54 AM
Is it normal for Sims to autonomously do romantic interactions with Sims they are not in a relationship with? I don't have ACR or anything like that. And is there a way I can stop them from doing it?

Recently I'm playing community lots with many (32-48) Sims at once so it's hard to control everything that's going on but some of my Sims are randomly doing romantic interactions and getting crushes/falling in love with other Sims. From what I've seen, it's Sims who have been friends/best friends before but not in any way romantically involved. It's a bit annoying since some of them are married and I don't want them to be caught cheating (some of them are Family Sims, so it doesn't even make sense for them to be cheating!).
Mad Poster
#25246 Old 23rd Oct 2020 at 8:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Vixxen
Is it normal for Sims to autonomously do romantic interactions with Sims they are not in a relationship with? I don't have ACR or anything like that.

Yes

Quote:
And is there a way I can stop them from doing it?

Mods. Romancemod specifically prevents stuff like this.
Scholar
#25247 Old 23rd Oct 2020 at 8:40 AM
@grammapat If you are trying to remove defaults what you need to know is the name of the file for the hair you defaulted. Hair that has the stars is custom hair and all of them will be listed first before you hit the maxis hair. The easiest way I've found to do this is to enable testing cheats and go into CAS. Scroll past any custom hair you have, when you get to the hair you don't like hover your mouse over it. You will see the file name, write it down. Write down all the ones you want to remove. Exit the game and go to the folder you put your defaults in and look for the file names and remove them.

Examples of names would be fhairacorntuck or fhairbraidsup. If you look at the default database every hair has a name and the default for that hair will have the same name. Sometimes the creator might attach their name but the hair name will be in there somewhere. If you are defaulting a lot of hair my suggestion is to make individual folders one for male and one for female. That at least cuts down what you might have to search through in the future.
Mad Poster
#25248 Old 23rd Oct 2020 at 8:52 AM
If icons or bits of the UI are too small to see, I suggest temporarily changing to a smaller screen size in Graphics/Performance Options. Change back to your normal screen size when you're ready to start playing again.

My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
Mad Poster
#25249 Old 23rd Oct 2020 at 11:52 AM
grammapat, if it helps, here are the icons with the packs they belong to (minus the ones I'm not sure have clothes or hair, and the Xmas packs because they don't have icons). Maybe it's easier to spot them. https://simfileshare.net/download/2121044/

The default page can be helpful. It has the names of all the defaults, along with pictures and icons (it's where I found the pics I used) - https://sims2defaults.dreamwidth.org/
Mad Poster
#25250 Old 23rd Oct 2020 at 3:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by aelflaed
That's the behaviour I thought should be happening. I suppose I must have a mod conflict or something. Question is, is it worth looking for? Hmm. Thanks for your confirmation!
Just to confirm: Sims do close the curtain when using the Aquaplus for a shower:
This is the Maxis original with a tiled back and sides, but I'm pretty sure the backless one works exactly the same.
Screenshots

My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
Page 1010 of 1347