Replies: 493 (Who?), Viewed: 60765 times.
Page 17 of 20
Mad Poster
#401 Old 4th Oct 2019 at 4:16 PM
YAS to recycling. Even in API clutter, it thus make a difference and saves the planet from global warning. Every bit counts!

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Mad Poster
#402 Old 5th Oct 2019 at 12:35 PM
Quote:
YongYea @YongYea So turns out the ESRB doesn't even play games before rating them, they watch videos put together by game companies before declaring nonsense like NBA 2K20's simulated & real gambling being kids friendly. Yeah, this system is an absolute joke.

https://twitter.com/YongYea/status/1180203030026678272

The ESRB Is A Complete Joke, Doesn't Play Games Before Rating Them

Video game CEOs are on the board of the ESRB. This whole thing stinks a bit like corruption....
Mad Poster
#403 Old 6th Oct 2019 at 8:45 AM
FIFA 20 Disaster Continues, EA Leaks Data Of 1600 Players

This was not a data breach. EA left player info out in the open for all to see. If you play FIFA, change your passwords even though they claim that said information wasn't leaked. There is mention that if EA was found to be negligent in this case, they could be fined up to 4% of their revenue which isn't much when talking about a company that makes over 4 billion a year, but it's something, I guess.
Mad Poster
#404 Old 6th Oct 2019 at 4:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
YAS to recycling. Even in API clutter, it thus make a difference and saves the planet from global warning. Every bit counts!

Um don't reduce and reuse come in front of recycling in terms of importance?
Mad Poster
#405 Old 7th Oct 2019 at 3:54 PM
Quote:

Electronic Arts Has a Microtransaction Problem It Can’t Ignore

EA's quest for higher margins comes at a massive cost

But just as Apple inadvertently popularized freemium mechanics and microtransactions such as loot boxes, its newest subscription-based platform, Apple Arcade, is a complete 180 from the freemium, microtransaction-heavy model that Electronic Arts emulates.

For $4.99 a month, subscribers get access to 100-plus games with no ads and no additional purchases. Apple Arcade could redefine the concepts of mobile gaming and microtransactions. If players become used an ad-free, microtransaction-free experience, their tolerance for microtransactions will lower.

As a thought leader in many spaces, Apple’s ability to redefine existing industries and shape consumer perception cannot be discounted. As Kotaku’s Michael Fahey and Stephen Totilo put it, “Apple Arcade Is Mobile Gaming Without All The Bullshit.”

“EA must fix its reputation of putting profits over players,” write Teeter and Lunsford. Which, despite all the many things the company is capable of, doesn’t seem to register a blip on its radar. Whether or not people like surprises, I’d imagine EA’s stock holders not so much. Apple just threw EA’s entire strategy a curve ball even it can’t spin.

https://investorplace.com/2019/10/l...d=mw_quote_news

The title of this article alone sent my eyeballs to the back of my head. Wall Street is just figuring out now that EA has issues? They're a bit slow on the uptake. When people work in echo chambers and spend their days yes'ing each other to death, it should come as no surprise that EA is not motivated to change their ways. I digress.

I skipped big chunks of this article as they are rehashing what people already know. I'm also not a fan of Apple and wouldn't give them $4.99 a month, but if this is the dope slap that EA needs to get over themselves, then good on Apple, at least until they start with their shenanigans of which they too engage in plenty.
Mad Poster
#406 Old 7th Oct 2019 at 5:27 PM
Why should they? There's nothing wrong with EA or what it does.

Mad Poster
#407 Old 22nd Oct 2019 at 6:44 PM
Quote:

EA stock falls after Barclays downgrade

Shares of Electronic Arts Inc. EA, -0.25% are off 1.3% in premarket trading Tuesday after Barclays analysts Deepak Mathivanan and Mario Lu cut their rating on the stock to equal weight from overweight, writing that the bulk of earnings-per-share growth next year is expected to come from buybacks and not business fundamentals. "After a string of disappointing results from the last 'Star Wars' title, 'Battlefield V,' and 'Anthem,' we think investors will need to see a couple of successful title releases before EA's multiple reverts back to its historical mean," the analysts wrote in a note to clients. They lowered their price target on the stock to $99 from $104.

Oopsie! And Duke is talking about keeping TS4 around for another 5 years? I wonder if he's a EA stockholder. Selling FIFA 19 with a new label FIFA 20 doesn't help on top of the all stuff mentioned in the quote.
Mad Poster
#408 Old 29th Oct 2019 at 5:22 PM Last edited by Gargoyle Cat : 29th Oct 2019 at 10:59 PM.
Quote:

EA games coming to Steam via partnership

Electronic Arts (EA -0.3%) has announced a partnership with Valve that will put EA games on the Steam distribution service.

The first game to launch on Steam comes Nov. 15, with Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order (currently open for preorder).

EA Access will launch on Steam next spring and give subscribers access to a broad portfolio of EA games along with member benefits and discounts.

https://seekingalpha.com/news/35107...d=mw_quote_news

EA be hustling. I guess only having their games on Origin isn't bringing in enough moolah. EA Access still isn't worth the $29.99 a month ( if paid in full ) or the $59.88 if a person pays the $4.99 a month.

I'll be editing this later. EA's Q2 results are supposed to be reported this afternoon after closing bell.

EDIT: Nothing exciting to report from EA. They've lost money in some places and made some in others. It is pretty much a wash or their earnings are flat as the overlords have been complaining about.

There is the usual nonsense mentioned about TS4. There was a increase of players, but they don't say what their baseline is, so whatever. They say this in every report, so such things should be taken with a truckload of salt.

Quote:
The Sims 4 also continues to be an incredible long-term live service with a growing audience. Monthly average players are up more than 40% year-over-year in The Sims 4, and engagement across the franchise has led The Sims to surpass $5 billion in lifetime sales. The Sims continues to be one of the great franchises in gaming, and we have plans to bring new experiences to its amazing players for a long time to come.

https://s22.q4cdn.com/894350492/fil...ngs-Release.pdf

https://s22.q4cdn.com/894350492/fil...red-Remarks.pdf

And they canceled their NBA game. Maybe it was low-hanging fruit as a means of trying to fluff their revenue coffers.

Electronic Arts Stock Falls After Company Cancels NBA Game
Top Secret Researcher
#409 Old 23rd Feb 2020 at 9:01 PM
Just saw EA cancelled its third Star Wars game sometime last year. If I were Disney, I wouldn't be happy.
Mad Poster
#410 Old 28th Aug 2020 at 10:53 PM
It has been a few since this thread has seen any action.  Here's a few tasty bits...

EA Faces Class Action Lawsuit From Over 100 People Due To Ultimate Team Loot Boxes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PH6ivawDqFY

Shareholders Deny EA Execs Multi-Million Dollar Raise In Rare Rebuke

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSmDpA2toKc
Mad Poster
#411 Old 25th Feb 2021 at 12:23 AM
This thread hasn't seen any life since August?  I need to do better.

Quote:
Anthem redesign canceled at BioWare

Dailey noted that the COVID-19 pandemic and work-from-home orders “had an impact on our productivity.”

“I know this will be disappointing to the community of Anthem players who have been excited to see the improvements we’ve been working on,” Dailey said. “It’s also disappointing for the team who were doing brilliant work. And for me personally, Anthem is what brought me to BioWare, and the last two years have been some of the most challenging and rewarding experiences of my career.

“Game development is hard. Decisions like these are not easy. Moving forward, we need to laser focus our efforts as a studio and strengthen the next Dragon Age, and Mass Effect titles while continuing to provide quality updates to Star Wars: The Old Republic.”

https://www.polygon.com/2021/2/24/2...are-ea-canceled

I'm sure it is a coincidence that this happened after EA plopped down just over a 2 billion for Glu Mobile. How long will it be before we start hearing about layoffs?  https://investorplace.com/2021/02/g...d=mw_quote_news

Working from home may be hard for devs, but it didn't hurt Android Wilson any.  He laughed all the way to the bank in 2020 with his 21 million dollar income.  Granted, 16 million of that was in stock, but all things considered, he's way over paid to put it mildly.

https://www1.salary.com/ANDREW-WILS...C-ARTS-INC.html
Mad Poster
#412 Old 25th Feb 2021 at 1:42 AM
Andrew Wilson Stop blaming EA for all the problem it caused. Not their fault for making deceptive businesses practices that manipulate the weak.

Field Researcher
#413 Old 27th Feb 2021 at 1:09 AM
Speaking of which... two of the recent bugs I have encountered has been known about for YEARS and EA/Maxis hasn't fixed them yet... The spam about "x is fading" and the obsession with grilling and drinking water... that's quite something... not in a good way.
Mad Poster
#414 Old 13th Mar 2021 at 12:03 PM
EA = Mood

In case anybody is confused why EA wants all of their games cross-platform, allow this mean, evil bish to show you why.  Click the link for a 'pretty chart' and a few other details.

Quote:
Loot boxes to generate $20bn by 2025
230 million games are expected to buy loot boxes in 2025 -- that's 5% of all players, Juniper Research says

Loot boxes are expected to generate $20.3 billion in revenue by 2025, a new report by Juniper Research found.

The company added that over 230 million gamers -- or 5% of players -- are expected to purchase loot boxes in 2025, with mobile gaming content making up the majority of these transactions.

The study said that loot boxes made an estimated $15 billion in 2020, with average growth going forward around 5% per year. Juniper Research projected that growth will get slower and slower each year as "consumers become fatigued with loot boxes and legislative constraints limiting the market."

Skins gambling was also under scrutiny in the report, with Juniper Research estimating that total wagers will be reaching $321 million in 2025 compared to $221 million in 2020.

EA is regularly at the center of the debate around loot boxes; the publisher currently faces two class action lawsuits -- one in the US and one in Canada -- over their use in its sports games.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...usd20bn-by-2025

20 billion dollars in profit across the gaming industry just by adding gambling.  Meanwhile, people like Android Wilson keeps talking about how he's such a humanitarian ( no, he doesn't use the word, humanitarian) , and he wants to EA's game portfolio to be all inclusive, ya know...all the buzzwords.  I never knew that putting some people into bankruptcy was considered 'humanitarian." 

I can hardly wait for TS5- The Class Warfare version.  That should be great fun.  The sim community is already at each others throats, I'm sure EA pitting players against each other via their bank accounts will result in nothing but peace and love.  FYI, that was sarcasm.  EA calling a game what it is would be honest; EA won't have any of that.
Mad Poster
#415 Old 20th Mar 2021 at 6:47 AM
Quote:
EA Sports is the next brand to pledge not to work with David Dobrik in the future following the Vlog Squad rape allegations scandal. They’ve given him a Lambo in the past but have “no plans” for future work.

https://twitter.com/kattenbarge/sta...934933031829508

I came across this by accident; I don't go looking for these kinds of stories.  It does however shine light on 'influencer' / game changer bullshit that most people claim doesn't exist.  It is interesting how these kinds of arguments can be made when EA is handing people a $290,000.00 car for their "own opinions".  Somehow I'm not convinced that when these kinds of people are sent a $290,000.00 vehicle, they have their own opinions about the products from the companies that are pulling this shit.

I wonder who else EA is sending Lamborghinis to...
Field Researcher
#416 Old 25th Mar 2021 at 8:39 PM
So there's an issue with stairs where if you have an "open air" stair way, aka there's only a small rim of flooring, that has been around for awhile now. Today I sent a Sim to the Old Town Tavern... which have that sort off stairway... and yeah path-finding is broken. Which means... EAaxis released a "patch" that even broke their own pre-made lot...

I just... how can someone do that... it's pretty sad.
Lab Assistant
#417 Old 26th Mar 2021 at 9:49 PM
Yeah, the platform update broke several of the lots in Windenburg, the Partihaus too. And of course Snowy Escape also came with the infinite Father Winter bug (which could make your saves unplayable). I don't think they play tested that pack at all.
Lab Assistant
#418 Old 27th Mar 2021 at 4:08 AM
I believe they playtest. It's just that they either don't care what the playtest reveals - and ship anyway, or they think it's funny and the community's gonna like it - and ship anyway.

Loyalty to petrified opinion never yet broke a chain or freed a human soul. - Mark Twain
Test Subject
#419 Old 8th Apr 2021 at 5:09 AM
I just came back to the Sims 4 and what's this, we have kits now? So we had Game packs which were content cut out of expansions, and stuff packs which was cut content from game packs. Now there's more cutting with these tiny kits. The nickle and dimming in the Sims 4 is just atrocious
Mad Poster
#420 Old 8th Apr 2021 at 12:58 PM
The joys of games that are a live service. The king of creeps in the gaming world is paying for a patent so they can be the biggest creeps of them all.  How cute!

Quote:
EA files dynamic difficulty system patent

The patent covers a system that calculates the expected duration of a playing session based on the user's history, and adapts the difficulty in order to keep them player for longer

EA has filed a patent for an in-game difficulty system that adapts to the player's skills, in order to keep them playing for longer.

The patent, as reported by GameSpot, was filed in October 2020, but made public in late March 2021. It details that software using what EA calls Dynamic Difficulty Adjustment would "perform automatic granular difficulty adjustment" in a way that would be "undetectable by a user."

The patent files also indicate that this system would be able to go through a user's past activity to "generate a game retention prediction model that predicts an indication of an expected duration of game play."

That seems to indicate that the system would assume that difficulty is the reason why players spend more or less time within a game, and therefore could adjust a title's difficulty based on past experience with other games, to keep users playing for longer.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...y-system-patent

And yet there are people that still like to tout that EA doesn't manipulate people. They mean well; they're just misunderstood.  Mmmkkay...
One Minute Ninja'd
#421 Old 8th Apr 2021 at 4:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle Cat
The joys of games that are a live service. The king of creeps in the gaming world is paying for a patent so they can be the biggest creeps of them all.  How cute!

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...y-system-patent

And yet there are people that still like to tout that EA doesn't manipulate people. They mean well; they're just misunderstood.  Mmmkkay...

I've got to disagree with you on this one. If a person has paid for a game, yet doesn't get as many hours out of their purchase due to a level of difficulty, would benefit from a system that allows them a dynamic difficulty system to get more value from the purchase. It doesn't mean they'll be forced to buy more things or loot boxes. In fact, if they can advance due to a more appropriate skill level, they may not feel the need to buy bits and bobs to improve their playing ability.

You know I'm no fan of EA, but on the surface this seems like an interesting idea. If t works, and they don't implement it to encourage additional transactions.

OK, they well may, but the underlying isn't so terrible. I expect other developers may look to see how it plays out, and implement their own versions that don't infringe on the patent (there are ways to do so).
Mad Poster
#422 Old 8th Apr 2021 at 4:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskie227
I've got to disagree with you on this one. If a person has paid for a game, yet doesn't get as many hours out of their purchase due to a level of difficulty, would benefit from a system that allows them a dynamic difficulty system to get more value from the purchase. It doesn't mean they'll be forced to buy more things or loot boxes. In fact, if they can advance due to a more appropriate skill level, they may not feel the need to buy bits and bobs to improve their playing ability.

You know I'm no fan of EA, but on the surface this seems like an interesting idea. If t works, and they don't implement it to encourage additional transactions.

OK, they well may, but the underlying isn't so terrible. I expect other developers may look to see how it plays out, and implement their own versions that don't infringe on the patent (there are ways to do so).

Seeing how this was just implemented in late March, there is no saying that loot boxes are out of the equation. 

If it is such a great idea, there is no reason for these things to happen without the player being aware of it.   It isn't what EA sez that is the problem, it is what they don't say. The devil is always in the details.
Lab Assistant
#423 Old 9th Apr 2021 at 12:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle Cat
Seeing how this was just implemented in late March, there is no saying that loot boxes are out of the equation. 

If it is such a great idea, there is no reason for these things to happen without the player being aware of it.   It isn't what EA sez that is the problem, it is what they don't say. The devil is always in the details.

Indeed.
Just like a banker inside a vault full of money, with such a powerful tool in their hands, there's always a temptation.

Loyalty to petrified opinion never yet broke a chain or freed a human soul. - Mark Twain
Mad Poster
#424 Old 9th Apr 2021 at 1:54 PM Last edited by Gargoyle Cat : 9th Apr 2021 at 3:39 PM. Reason: missing words
Quote:
Originally Posted by dikosay
Indeed.
Just like a banker inside a vault full of money, with such a powerful tool in their hands, there's always a temptation.

It seems as though gameindustry.biz deleted the article. I'm leaving the post as it is, but I do wonder why they removed it.

EDIT: Here's the patent. It is a long read with lots of legal gibberish. https://patents.justia.com/patent/20210086083

Since there was mention of loot boxes, Brazil is the next country that is looking to remove them.

Quote:
Brazil launches inquiry to ban loot boxes
Companies selling loot boxes could be facing a daily fine of up to $700,000

The inquiry targets companies that sell loot boxes, including Activision, EA, Konami, Nintendo, Riot Games, Ubisoft, Tencent, and Valve. Mobile games publisher Garena is also involved, with Brazilian publication The Enemy reporting that the firm has been asked to suspend its loot box sales until further notice.

Should a ban be approved, Brazil is considering introducing fines for companies selling loot boxes, up to BRL $4 million (around $706,000) daily.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic... <br /> <br />
One Minute Ninja'd
#425 Old 10th Apr 2021 at 1:40 PM
I still don't get the patent uproar. Obviously the article is gone so I can only make assumptions. Just because they received a patent doesn't mean it's in use, or assures it ever will be for that matter. Did they identify anywhere that this patented technology is actually in operation on any EA product, and if so, which ones?
Page 17 of 20