Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#26 Old 11th Mar 2024 at 10:57 AM
Quote: Originally posted by LadySmoks
I don't understand why your UV map is not square, or 2 x1, which is 512 x 256 or 1024 x 512, which is sometimes used for objects.

do you mean whitin the uv square? because trees are a little different than regular objects
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#27 Old 11th Mar 2024 at 3:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Lulu123
do you mean whitin the uv square? because trees are a little different than regular objects

No. I mean shaped like this...

Instead of square or rectangle.
Screenshots

Shiny, happy people make me puke!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#28 Old 11th Mar 2024 at 5:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by LadySmoks
No. I mean shaped like this...

Instead of square or rectangle.

because trees are a bit different then regular objects, the trunk uv is always like that because then the texture reapets itself. i have other trees that works perfectly fine like this uv from one of those trees.

[IMG][/IMG]
Screenshots
Forum Resident
#29 Old 11th Mar 2024 at 6:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Lulu123
because trees are a bit different then regular objects, the trunk uv is always like that because then the texture reapets itself. i have other trees that works perfectly fine like this uv from one of those trees.

[IMG][/IMG]

Don't know what to tell you, other than that I looked at EA tree img textures in FullBuild2, and didn't see a single one that is not either standard square, or standard rectangle. So, since your tree does not work, I might tend to think it could be a problem.

Shiny, happy people make me puke!
Instructor
#30 Old 12th Mar 2024 at 12:31 AM
Any non-SpeedTree tree is safer to think of like a generic object than you might think. TSRW may also assume it's a regular object if it's not in SpeedTree format and make undesired changes- but I don't know if you got any prompts about it making those changes or not.
It would help to have more context- such as what tutorial or method you are following, what you are using as a base/clone, what step in the process doesn't work as intended, what options you chose when prompted, so on.

Otherwise we can only throw wild guesses. There are about a hundred ways to make things for this game, and so a thousand variants on what could be the problem- more than half of which aren't even TS3 specific and have more to do with expertise in a given software.
TSRW generally shouldn't be touching the UV without warning, so the most likely culprit is an export issue like the one already resolved in this post. Blender applies modifiers and unwraps UV if those things have been overlooked- that's usually the #1 cause of geometry being different than the way it is previewing in the original .blend - but again, this is a blind guess.
Help us help you

The strange UV isn't necessarily an issue, but the repeating effect is more of an artifact of that layout than an effect intended to be achieved that way. EA makes a lot of questionable development choices- I would take it with a grain of salt even if you see it occur in their meshes
It would work the same to just overlap those UV parts- and it definitely could be part of the issue if TSRW is trying to compare the UV coordinates to the texture.

Scribe of tutorials. Oracle of questions at NRaas. Blog staller at thecardinalsims. Feel free to @ me for input on any TS3/TS4 modding questions.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#31 Old 12th Mar 2024 at 11:18 AM
Quote: Originally posted by CardinalSims
Any non-SpeedTree tree is safer to think of like a generic object than you might think. TSRW may also assume it's a regular object if it's not in SpeedTree format and make undesired changes- but I don't know if you got any prompts about it making those changes or not.
It would help to have more context- such as what tutorial or method you are following, what you are using as a base/clone, what step in the process doesn't work as intended, what options you chose when prompted, so on.

Otherwise we can only throw wild guesses. There are about a hundred ways to make things for this game, and so a thousand variants on what could be the problem- more than half of which aren't even TS3 specific and have more to do with expertise in a given software.
TSRW generally shouldn't be touching the UV without warning, so the most likely culprit is an export issue like the one already resolved in this post. Blender applies modifiers and unwraps UV if those things have been overlooked- that's usually the #1 cause of geometry being different than the way it is previewing in the original .blend - but again, this is a blind guess.
Help us help you

The strange UV isn't necessarily an issue, but the repeating effect is more of an artifact of that layout than an effect intended to be achieved that way. EA makes a lot of questionable development choices- I would take it with a grain of salt even if you see it occur in their meshes
It would work the same to just overlap those UV parts- and it definitely could be part of the issue if TSRW is trying to compare the UV coordinates to the texture.

i do the tree, then i export it as a obj with the settings as obj groups and deselect the write materials and then export it, then i import it to milkshape and rename it to the correct group then i assign the bone to the tree, and when that is done i export it as a wso file, and then i clone a tree i have made before and import the file, then i go to materials and import the textures.
Screenshots
Instructor
#32 Old 12th Mar 2024 at 11:25 AM
Could you import the .obj back into Blender to see if the UV changed? This would narrow down if the issue is happening to the .obj or later in the workflow.

It may also be a safer bet to use a brand new clone of an EA item, at least for troubleshooting- as we cannot account for any variables a custom object could have.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#33 Old 12th Mar 2024 at 11:46 AM
Quote: Originally posted by CardinalSims
Could you import the .obj back into Blender to see if the UV changed? This would narrow down if the issue is happening to the .obj or later in the workflow.

It may also be a safer bet to use a brand new clone of an EA item, at least for troubleshooting- as we cannot account for any variables a custom object could have.

when i import the obj into blender again the uv is just like before i exportet it.
i have tried with to clone other trees but it is the same problem...
Page 2 of 2