Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Sep 2020 at 1:39 AM
I Need Help / Tips for my First Stop motion Video
Hey guys The First Stop Motion video I made has Poor Audience retention and I have to clue why. It seems they bounce out at the 40%-50% mark. This makes me sad because stop-motion is a lot of work. So it's very important to get some honest reviews on my Video.
So If you got 4 mins to tell me what's wrong Let me know, please.

https://youtu.be/dLeQVm_XzgE

This is not my house it's from Bettybackwoods99 I saw it on Maxis Curated. I just chose it to make my first stop motion speed build.
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 8th Sep 2020 at 3:40 AM
Here are some points for improvement, from a brief look at the video:
1. The intro is too aggressive, maybe make something more subtle? same with the background music.. too tense to my liking.
2. I think the boring parts should be a lot faster (seeing the windows placement on every single wall was too much and too slow)
3. some parts should be seen from a higher distance, or at least show it room by room, while making sure it's all bright enough to see (maybe place the roof at the end?)
4. the house itself wasn't that interesting, no offense to whoever built it. and it's also a bit weird that it's not your own build..

if you want you could check out how people more experienced do this
I think the first youtuber I've ever watched do this type of videos was ArchiSim and I really liked their style
maybe watch some of their videos and see if you can learn how to improve?
(https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCV...ion_mZOEwWb00jw)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 8th Sep 2020 at 6:23 PM
@keren thank you for the input! Can you tell me where in the video "some parts should be seen from a higher distance" Like with a timestamp? and anyone else?
Scholar
#4 Old 8th Sep 2020 at 6:32 PM
1:08 when you color the walls, for example
notice the difference in pace, lighting and distance here for example:
https://youtu.be/JsLOugP6sCM?t=80 (1:20)

also, I forgot to mention but it does look nice for a first ever stop motion video
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 9th Sep 2020 at 11:03 PM
thank you
dodgy builder
#6 Old 11th Sep 2020 at 9:18 PM
I have a very short attention span and don't really like these stop-motion, because why should I sit and watch your house coming to it's finished state. I prefer to know on beforehand what I'm using my time on. A picture in the beginning of the finished house would help. Then I can decide if this is something worth my time.

I agree you should speed it up, and why don't you show something of your own. If you use someone else's build, at least make sure it's not your average Joe.

When it comes to views, you can't expect too much in the beginning. It takes time. You have to publish your house on social media and make friends with people others likes to watch. You have to use other peoples popularity to get really big. It's on the edge of what is considers ok though, so be careful how you do it. You have lots of competition out there.

Also what do you want to do with your "popularity"?
Mad Poster
#7 Old 11th Sep 2020 at 9:34 PM
Intro too very actiony. If you post sims related content or akin chill games, I suggest changing it. I disagree about speeding up comment, at the very least it should be speed up slightly if not keeping it as it is. It stops being slow motion, which isn't really great advice to give to anyone who has the question "how can I to make my slowmotion video great?". With the short attention span being (your own) problem, I suggest for those people to skim through latter time stamp to check final build's product and manually change the speed of the video themselves (found under gear icon of the video's play panel).

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
dodgy builder
#8 Old 12th Sep 2020 at 1:03 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
Intro too very actiony. If you post sims related content or akin chill games, I suggest changing it. I disagree about speeding up comment, at the very least it should be speed up slightly if not keeping it as it is. It stops being slow motion, which isn't really great advice to give to anyone who has the question "how can I to make my slowmotion video great?". With the short attention span being (your own) problem, I suggest for those people to skim through latter time stamp to check final build's product and manually change the speed of the video themselves (found under gear icon of the video's play panel).

All advice given here are subjective, and I'm not the only one with a short attention span. If I really want to see the video I might do that, but then I wouldn't need a hint as to what the house looks like finished anyway.
Scholar
#9 Old 12th Sep 2020 at 4:40 AM
I always skip the "finished house" part that people have at the start of those videos
it's like reading the last page of the book before starting to read it fully, I just don't get it..
having a nice thumbnail should be enough, to me.
dodgy builder
#10 Old 12th Sep 2020 at 7:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Keren
I always skip the "finished house" part that people have at the start of those videos
it's like reading the last page of the book before starting to read it fully, I just don't get it..
having a nice thumbnail should be enough, to me.

If you already know what you're about to see has a good quality perhaps not, but if you really have no clue the image of the finished product is rather important. I don't know what your Youtube look like, but mine has a very stiff competition among very diverse subjects. There is always something better to watch, so give me a hint or I'm gone.

If you use Youtube, they have an option to make a front image for your upload, and there you can have the house with some fancy effects and some very slight important information.
dodgy builder
#11 Old 12th Sep 2020 at 8:15 PM
I suggest watching Kate Emerald, she's so good:
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 15th Sep 2020 at 12:31 AM
thank you all
Mad Poster
#13 Old 15th Sep 2020 at 9:16 PM Last edited by SneakyWingPhoenix : 15th Sep 2020 at 9:28 PM.
BTW, have you put common keyboards that are used and found in the sims 4? That should help the video get its visibly and transparency. Should look up builds of popular creators, and even those of underrated, and see what tags they used for the algorithms to promote their video in their favor.

Advertise it in the creator feed or what's called section of this forum. Just leave the link of your video where it's appropriate, so it can get its recognition.

Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
All advice given here are subjective, and I'm not the only one with a short attention span. If I really want to see the video I might do that, but then I wouldn't need a hint as to what the house looks like finished anyway.

I'm just saying the advice you gave made no sense if you read the title of the thread for what's its asking. That's like telling someone to change a time lapse video or speed build into slow build video in order to make the formal type video better.

Also, from what I look it's possible to get views even showcasing a house like that. Take examples and perhaps notes by looking into instances like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJrgNtGaBUg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wV6ICnzEvoY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JvQL4I0wB4

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Test Subject
#14 Old 16th Sep 2020 at 9:53 AM
Personally, I'd like to see the cursor and the interaction from the creator.

Watching every single tile being placed gets repetitive real fast and personally, this pace is far too slow for even a stop-motion video.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#15 Old 17th Sep 2020 at 1:14 AM
Quote: Originally posted by artsy
Personally, I'd like to see the cursor and the interaction from the creator.

Watching every single tile being placed gets repetitive real fast and personally, this pace is far too slow for even a stop-motion video.

looking back on it I agree