Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Trainee Moderator
staff: trainee moderator
#126 Old 6th Dec 2015 at 4:28 PM Last edited by Jawusa : 6th Dec 2015 at 4:46 PM.
If you don't like SimPE work, you could also create Max and Minnie as adults and play them until they die and the 2nd (or even the 3rd) generation is born. Then, you won't have to worry about inappropriate relationships (as he will already be dead) and the grand vampire will know people from each generation. This wouldn't require any SimPE work as well and they will already have memories. (Just a suggestion)
But you'll have to play them for a while.

To make your own grand vampire, you'll need to generate one first in-game. CAS sims can't be changed into fully-working NPCs but it's possible to use SimSurgery to replace their appearance.

I don't use Fraps anymore. It also has stopped working for me. But I'm using this method now.

As for the downtownie test, I created a new standalone downtown subhood with 4 custom downtownies and 1 playable sim. Then, I attached it to an empty neighborhood, created using the AnyGameStarter.
I didn't have any empty templates installed for the test. The original Downtown with its sims was still in the NeighborhoodTemplate folder. No mods were installed in the test.

By the way, the game didn't add any of EA's downtownies/Tricous to the neighborhood. My sim visited three community lots, normally, if the neighborhood doesn't have any downtownies and you visit a Downtown lot, it will add the downtownies/Tricous but it didn't add them. Instead, the four custom downtownies appeared on the community lot.

So yes, the game does not add the annoying downtownies/Tricous if the neighborhood already has its own downtownies. Even if you don't have any anti re-gen mods installed.
But every time you visit a downtown community lot, the game creates 1 downtownie if you don't have the anti re-gen mods installed. But it's a unique downtownie, not one of EA's downtownies from Downtown.

Catalogue of Custom Neighborhoods for TS2
All Hood Building Group neighborhoods are available here
Want to get rid of EA's sims in neighborhoods? Check out my Clean and Empty Steatlh Hoods and Clean and Empty Neighborhood Templates
My Simblr
Advertisement
Test Subject
#127 Old 27th Dec 2015 at 6:20 PM
Really hope this neighborhood gets completed as it looks amazing!
Trainee Moderator
#129 Old 3rd Jan 2016 at 9:03 AM
Peni, I think it's completely safe to populate a stand-alone Downtown subhood. Just make sure that there's no duplicate of your subhood in the NeighborhoodTemplate folder.
I mean, you could actually convert Bigg City into a Downtown subhood, as it was originally intended to be. And while populating the neighborhood, the NPCs will spawn in the correct way (as Downtownies).

I made a test Downtown subhood. Populated it and added to my neighborhood and all the sims and lots were there.

Want to get rid of EA's sims in neighborhoods? Check out my Clean and Empty Steatlh Hoods and Clean and Empty Neighborhood Templates
My Simblr
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#130 Old 27th Feb 2016 at 5:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Jawusa
Peni, I think it's completely safe to populate a stand-alone Downtown subhood. Just make sure that there's no duplicate of your subhood in the NeighborhoodTemplate folder.
I mean, you could actually convert Bigg City into a Downtown subhood, as it was originally intended to be. And while populating the neighborhood, the NPCs will spawn in the correct way (as Downtownies).

I made a test Downtown subhood. Populated it and added to my neighborhood and all the sims and lots were there.

Well, I'm about to test that. Attached is a complete, empty Bigg City, converted to downtown, all files renamed to DGBC, and with a unique ID number (22716). No previous versions of it are currently in my template folder, and the plan is to start the population process later today. Wish me luck!

Meanwhile, if anybody else wants to run independent tests on it, here it is.
Attached files:
File Type: 7z  DGBC.7z (29.14 MB, 3 downloads) - View custom content
Description: Downtown Bigg City, rezoned, renamed, renumbered, ready to begin the next phase of creation and testing!

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Trainee Moderator
#131 Old 27th Feb 2016 at 9:41 PM
@Peni Griffin
I have playtested (and I'm still playtesting) Bigg City in secret. And maybe it's time to tell you about some minor bugs before you start populating it.

Most of the bugs are minor but there's a bug that you won't like. There are still lots with blue gaps.

And I have a solution for this, previously you tried to flatten out all the lots, but the neighborhood terrain underneath the lots is not flat, and that's why there are blue gaps.
So the solution is to update the lot edges to the neighborhood, not flattening it out. So try again, this time update the lot edges to the neighborhood using Mootilda's LotAdjuster.

I believe, then, the game is 'forced' to match the lots edges to the neighbor lots' edges.
I hope the screenshots are not too small...

My Simblr
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#132 Old 27th Feb 2016 at 10:40 PM
(Sighs heavily.)

I had most of them made before you posted that...Life. Don't talk to me about life. I've got the first batch of the Biggs family - Max and his wife Minnie, their son MJ and daughter-in-law Lil, and teen grandson Treys - motherloded and moved into the place where everyone but maybe Treys will die and make ghosts, all the elders I was using to playtest and planned to make ghosts of recreated as adults and moved into the same house - except for Lionel Trane, who I've decided to make into a vampire after he's gotten to know everybody. Then in the final version of the game he can be a townie, competition for the game-generated Master Vampire. I can't seem to stop coming up with ways to make this even more complicated.

I haven't noticed anything weird about the Palais de Danse windows, so that may be an idiosyncracy of your game. I'll look into all that, though. It seems to me I've fixed that misplaced grocery bin about three times already, but my memory has been glitchy this year. Maybe it was a different grocery bin.

I'm also sure I told the Lot Adjuster to match the edges and the terrain when I flattened the lot edges, but if I've got to do it again, well, I've got to!

(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Trainee Moderator
#133 Old 28th Feb 2016 at 9:54 AM Last edited by Jawusa : 6th Mar 2016 at 9:42 AM.
If I have a look in SimPE, I see that neighboring lots don't have the same lot elevation. Meaning, one lot is a tiny bit higher than the other lot but they are next to each other, which causes the blue gaps. Even if the lots are flat, this still can happen.
I believe it should be fixable if you match the lot edges to the neighborhood and untick 'Keep current lot elevation'.

Good luck!

As for the windows, this only happens in my full game. In my TS2+Uni+NL game, the diagonal windows appear just fine in Palais de Danse.

My Simblr
Trainee Moderator
#134 Old 5th Mar 2016 at 5:14 PM Last edited by Jawusa : 6th Mar 2016 at 9:40 AM.
Sorry to double-post but were you able to fix the blue gaps? If you need help here, I could re-download your neighborhood, fix the blue gaps and re-upload it for you. Still keeping it TS2+Uni+NL only.

Edit: As I see you fixed this already.

My Simblr
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#135 Old 6th Mar 2016 at 1:52 AM
I think they're all right now. I haven't doublechecked every single lot yet, but unticking that box seems to have worked. I just need to make sure I get every lot that still had a blue gap.

I'm still populating ghosts and deciding exactly when to bring in who and which of the (far too many) characters I've thought of for this hood will in fact be in the final version.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#136 Old 6th Mar 2016 at 9:38 PM
Well, buggers.

I was trying to kill my first old age ghost today, and instead of dying properly (I'd set her to birthday and let her do things till 6:00) I keep getting an error message for the Grim Reaper. When I reset Grim appears right outside the door and fades, as she disappears from the portrait lineup, and no one remembers her death.

When I ran Hoodchecker on the last backup, and again on this version after I quit trying to make this work, I removed a bunch of "neither sim exists" errors. No idea whether it's relevant or not; but it's certainly not comforting.

Any ideas on what went wrong and how to test/fix/prevent this are welcome. I'm willing to go all the way back to the empty version and redo things, if necessary, and may do it anyway because I've had a couple of Better Ideas; but I'd rather not do it without some idea of how to prevent a repetition.

Trainee Moderator
#137 Old 8th Mar 2016 at 4:31 PM Last edited by Jawusa : 8th Mar 2016 at 4:42 PM.
This also happened in Bayside Flats when we were murdering some sims for the neighborhood story.
I have no idea what exactly causes this issue.

But if I remember correctly we sorted this out by quitting the game, deleting the cache files and then loading the neighborhood one more time.
Maybe we also deleted the NeighborhoodManager.package... I can't remember that. Sorry!

My Simblr
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#138 Old 8th Mar 2016 at 7:24 PM
I know I replied to this, but two hours have gone by and I can't see the post, so let's do this again. And if I have to delete one later, that's fine.

I always delete caches because AGS won't load if I don't, but if this happens in Version 2 (I hope not!) I'll give it a try.

Meanwhile, attached is an empty DGBC from which I have still not managed to eliminate all the blue gaps in the Enclave! The problem lots seem to be 1 and 7; but 11 and 3 cannot be put back in the same place if picked up, presumably because of the warping from 1 and 7. Some of the gaps are only visible from very specific angles of view, so if nobody else can fix them either I may just leave it and acknowledge it as a Known Issue. Or bulldoze and rebuild. I could do that with 1 and not weep, because I'm sure I could build a better Colonial now; but I like 7 as it is and would really rather not start over with it.
Attached files:
File Type: 7z  DGBC.7z (31.64 MB, 3 downloads) - View custom content
Description: Downtown Bigg City, still with blue gaps

Trainee Moderator
#139 Old 9th Mar 2016 at 11:52 AM
Okay! I'll have a look there and if I manage to fix it, I'll let you know.

My Simblr
Trainee Moderator
#140 Old 9th Mar 2016 at 4:00 PM
@Peni Griffin

I managed to fix the blue gaps in the Enclave district.

I tried LotAdjuster's button to match the lot edges to the neighborhood and unticked the 'Keep Lot Elevation' button - it didn't fix the blue gaps.
Then I tried it again, this time I chose the button to make the lot edges flat and unticked the 'Keep Lot Elevation' button - it didn't fix the blue gaps, either.
But after I chose the 'Smooth' button to update the lot edges, it DID fix the blue gaps.

So basically if you see blue gaps somewhere, you'll need to use LotAdjuster, update the lot edges, choose the 'Smooth' option and untick the 'Keep Lot Elevation' button.
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: rar  DGBC.rar (22.19 MB, 10 downloads) - View custom content

My Simblr
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#141 Old 9th Mar 2016 at 4:49 PM
Hurray hurray hurray! Thank you!

Every neighborhood is group effort, I'll tell you!

Trainee Moderator
#142 Old 9th Mar 2016 at 5:46 PM
You're welcome! I'm glad I could help you.

Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
Every neighborhood is group effort, I'll tell you!

And that's why I love building neighborhoods so much.
I can't wait to see the Bigg City characters. One of them has a really special face. I can't remember her name but her cheeks were "sagging"... I believe her name was Pearl Diver?

My Simblr
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#143 Old 9th Mar 2016 at 6:34 PM
Well, Pearl's gonna be a ghost. I'm not sure how many of the ghosts I made first I'll use, because I decided all the starting characters will have relatives in the cemetery and that's starting to bloat the files; but I'm sure Pearl will make the cut and I intend to find uses for as many of them as I can.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#144 Old 14th Mar 2016 at 11:00 PM
Dadgummit to heck.

I've got everything lined up perfectly for Max Bigg to become the first ghost. He's permaplat and set to birthday, and I've played through six o'clock twice now. Both times Grim was late and both times never actually showed up - I got an error both times. Reset deleted Max with no death animation and no one remembering his death, plus having to reset every other character on the lot. So I quit without saving, deleted caches and the neighborhood manager as Jawusa suggested on the Stupid Random questions thread, and played through again. Later and later and later this time and then finally - another error! I chose "delete" this time, and Max vanished, but I didn't get any other reset notices. I suppose that's an improvement.

Suggestions? I didn't try "cancel" because I seem to remember that just causes the error to repeat endlessly, but I could be remembering wrong. And I'm stumped what to do - I don't have a thing in the downloads folder that I don't need for development. The hoodchecker results are squeaky clean. I'd think it might be an unforeseeable consequence of some obscure bit of code due to playing the game as a Downtown-only; but Jawusa says the HBG had the same problem in Bayside Flats, so changing the neighborhood zoning back doesn't seem like a good prospect. I mean, I'll try it, but I have no reason to think it'll be anything more than a failed try-and-error fling that won't stick.

Trainee Moderator
#145 Old 15th Mar 2016 at 8:17 AM
I remember doing something which fixed that issue but I'm not sure what exactly it was... Before you kill them, save the family, go to neighborhood view and then re-enter the family, maybe it will work then.

But this bug also appeared in a primary 'hood, so I don't think it will disappear if you change the neighborhood type, but maybe I'm completely wrong with this.
You could still try it, though.

My Simblr
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#146 Old 15th Mar 2016 at 7:24 PM
So this is what we find:

The error is always a "Primitive Break Point Error."
If I hit reset or delete it always goes on to generate another Primitive Break Point Error. The first one is on Grim, the remainder work through all the individuals on the lot.
It happens whether I use Rodney's Death Creator or Max dies on his own.
It happens when I delete and replace the Anygame running UNi+NL.
It happens in the mini-game generated by AGS, when I use the Death Creator on one of the characters in it.

I'm thinking this indicates that Grim got corrupted in the AGS installation files; but I recently had a death in my full game that proceeded flawlessly, so unless the corruption is very recent it is specific to AGS. I have not tried killing anyone in my other two Anygame setups. I suppose I should've done that but I didn't think of it till just now and I'm hungry - I'll check that after lunch. In any case, I would've expected recreating Anygame 1 from scratch to fix it - unless my copy of AGS went bad somehow.

Another possibility is that, at some point prior to populating the hood (since I went all the way back to the empty version after this error interfered with Pearl's death), something happened to corrupt Grim and now any setup I put any version of DGBC into is automatically corrupted by that. In which case, Jawusa, you should test the system you flattened the lot edges in, if you ever opened the folder in game at all.

I don't really know how AGS works - I thought it ran off the same program files as the full game, but selectively disabled a lot of them for the AGS. I will be testing death in my full game later today.

In the meantime - help? I can't make a populated Bigg City without ghosts! It'd screw up the whole concept. And if the empty version is corrupt I can't share it, either.

Trainee Moderator
#147 Old 15th Mar 2016 at 8:18 PM Last edited by Jawusa : 15th Mar 2016 at 9:55 PM.
It's not just your neighborhood, Peni! And no the Grim did not get corrupted. That's normal.
I've created two new test neighborhoods and I got the same result in both neighborhoods.

Some neighborhoods won't require this but some do, like Bayside Flats or Bigg City.

First of all, you'll need to know that the Grim has not been initialized into the neighborhood yet. That's why he can't do his "duty".
For you to understand this better. Let's say someone from another city moves in next door. The newcomer will have to pack out his stuff first and furnish his new house before he starts working. After all is done, he can start to work as a scientist or whatever.
That being said, our Grimmy has to set himself up in Bigg City, before he can start working as a Grim Reaper.

I'll write you a tutorial with pictures on how to fix this little thing. I don't think it's game corruption, I've checked my objects.package files and none of them were last edited in 2016. All of them still are last edited in 2007.
When are your objects.package files last edited? If they are last edited in 2016, I'm afraid your game is corrupted. If they are last edited in 2007, then you should be fine.

By the way, I should be back soon with instructions on how you can fix this issue, so it won't appear again and you'll be able to continue populating the neighborhood.

My Simblr
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#148 Old 15th Mar 2016 at 9:00 PM
If it works, it'll be a lifesaver! And if I ever finish this you'll rate co-creator status.

The objects packages in my program files are fine and have been read-only since I installed them; and Randy Random dies just fine in a Base Game mini-game. Not in a brand-new NL-Uni minigame, though - same deal. Even with no downloads and a second fresh creation. So it's definitely something wrong with that installation of the game.

Trainee Moderator
#149 Old 15th Mar 2016 at 9:39 PM Last edited by Jawusa : 15th Mar 2016 at 9:57 PM.
Okay, as promised, I wrote you a little tutorial on how to fix the Grim Reaper, so he does his duty properly.
Before you do anything, backup your neighborhood. Just in case something goes wrong.

1. First of all, enter the cheat 'boolprop testingCheatsEnabled true' and go to CAS and create an extra sim who will wake up Grimmy, so he does his work again.
Move the extra sim in with the family and spawn 'Rodney's Death Creator' and 'Tombstone L and D'. You'll need both.

2. Now that you've spawned these cheat objects. Pause the game. Make sure that it really is paused. Otherwise it won't work!
Select your extra sim, click on Rodney's Death Creator and choose a death type. I'm choosing 'Death by Disease'. Now hit the P key twice, within a second. Make sure you do this quickly.

3. As you choose a death type, an error pop-up will appear. Click on Reset. The game should be paused at this time. If it isn't, you'll need to exit without saving and restart all over again.

4. Now you should see Grim Reaper in this funny position. Shift-click on him and choose 'Force Error'. A pop-up will appear, just click on Reset. Don't delete the Grim Reaper!

5a. Exit to the neighborhood and save the family.

5b. In neighborhood view, you'll see that the extra sim is still a part of the family. That's because he couldn't leave the family properly yet. But we'll fix this. Enter the family.

6. As you see the Grim Reaper is still there. That's good. Now you can un-pause the game and let him disappear, naturally. Don't use cheats to remove the Grim Reaper from the lot. This is important. Otherwise he will contunie throwing errors as he comes.

7. Okay! Now we will fix the extra sim's ghost. Click on 'Tombstone L and D' and choose 'Get Family Member...' and then the name of your extra sim. As you see there's an dangerous option to add Grim Reaper to the family. That's because Grimmy didn't leave the lot properly yet. We'll fix this right now. Don't worry! He'll leave the lot.

8. You should see a pop-up appear, telling that your extra sim has died on another lot and will now return as spirit to his death place. The ghost won't be a part of the current family anymore and will be properly added to the Ghosts household. At this time, that dangerous option to add Grim Reaper to the family won't be there, meaning the Grim Reaper really has left your lot. He's not lying this time.

9. Now exit the family again, save and re-enter the family.

10. Now you are ready to kill off sims and as you see, the Grim Reaper does his duty in the right way and the Hula Zombies appear as well, if someone dies with permaplat. And the game also creates a tombstone for the deceased sim.

Now you've just fixed Grim Reaper! Oh, and if you want to have a tombstone for the extra sim too. You can do this by resurrecting him and killing him off again.
By the way, the extra sim doesn't have to be just a random sim. It can also be the sibling of Max or Minnie Bigg.

I hope I could help.

My Simblr
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#150 Old 16th Mar 2016 at 3:36 PM
Dang, it was hard getting the game paused in time! It didn't work out quite as described, and the party controller and everybody at it (yes I killed Max at his daughter-in-law's party; it was a roof-raiser anyhow) reset during Max's death, but he died with hula zombies and when I killed Minnie a little later everything went without a hitch, and Lil's Uncle Wrigley Field's tombstone spawned later without incident, though nobody has a death memory for him, which is no doubt why I needed to do the whole pause thing with an unimportant CAS sim.

It all seems to be working okay now. All the same I think now's a good time for another playtest sharing. In this version we have the Bigg family (MJ, Lil, and their son Treys) living in 1 Industry Street, adult Pearl Diver and Lionel Trane living on Domestic Drive, and Edith Pilaf and the Stone family waiting in the family bin. I've just done some editing in SimPE so that Edith, Lionel, and Pearl are all employed past their skillsets. Bertha Stone and her brother Miles are the first non-ghosts in the neighborhood - they are destined to start as grandparents of two very different families on the extreme good and bad sides of town. But only if I get good reports that this version is not acting wonky in other people's games.

I may even age the NPCs who bulked out Lil's party (a waiter, a restaurant host, and a barista, all perfectly safe) and kill them to bulk out the Old Graveyard. It will save some steps. This is especially tempting because in the process of experimenting with the death problem I deleted the existing anygame, completely forgetting that it'd delete the SavedSims folder (or that I even had a Saved Sims folder, since I'd most recently been working in Uni only, where the sims needed to be in the Downloads folder, which I did remember to back up) and now I can't find them in the Recycle bin. I'll have to open bodyshop in a little bit and see if I still have all those original ghosts or if I have to reclone them from my ancient broken backup.

But, one phase at a time is the only way to get through a project this complicated.
Attached files:
File Type: 7z  DGBC.7z (35.09 MB, 11 downloads) - View custom content
Description: Slightly populated, with 3 ghosts

Page 6 of 9