Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#126 Old 5th Feb 2007 at 6:54 AM
How about I'll upload the file of the table that i want turned into glass, and you can help me with making it into glass? is that ok?

I'm now accepting requests for tables and chairs, i need pictures of it from all sides if you can, PM me and I'll see if i can make it
Advertisement
Part-time Hermit
Original Poster
#127 Old 5th Feb 2007 at 7:49 AM Last edited by Numenor : 5th Feb 2007 at 8:50 AM. Reason: Just an improved layout to help people read this importan info
I would rather help you make the changes yourself than do it for you, since the purpose of the tutorial and the forum in general is to learn to make things yourself . If I do it for you, you won't learn much, and won't know how to do it in the future.

Please, tell me which steps in particular do you find confusing, and what exactly can you not figure out, and I will try to explain.

The tables with glass already in them that Numenor listed, do they not work for your purpose? Because, like I said, if you clone one of them, there is already a glass subset, and you won't need to add any, then. Then modifying the mesh works like with any other mesh.

In short: Clone the table with glass that is the correct type and size for you. Clone it like any other object.
  • If you only want a glass subset for your table, only export the glass subset from the GMDC and do the editing in your mesh program like with any mesh, and continue as usual.
  • If you won't use the solid part of the mesh at all (the wooden, metallic etc), then delete that mesh subset in GMDC, and also delete that subset's Material Definition, texture file, Material Override and also the reference to that subset in the Shape.
  • If you use both the glass and solid parts for your object, then you won't need to delete anything.
Lab Assistant
#128 Old 5th Feb 2007 at 12:55 PM
ok. I didin't want you to exactly make it glass, what i really ment was could you tell me how to make the table i made into glass. see i didin't understand inn the tutorial about the part of import the subset, i got threw that fine but when it got a little further on it got hard. But i actually think the main reason I can't make it is because i wanted to make the glass first, but i have to read the tut and stuff. I'll try one more time with it, and if it doesn't work then I'll try and upload it so you can see what I'm having problems with.

I'm now accepting requests for tables and chairs, i need pictures of it from all sides if you can, PM me and I'll see if i can make it
Part-time Hermit
Original Poster
#129 Old 5th Feb 2007 at 1:52 PM
You don't need to do anything special to the mesh to make it glass, the key is to import it into SimPE as the glass subset and not as the solid subset (if you clone a table that has both). You make the mesh the same way you'd make any mesh. (Now, when the mesh is see-through, there might be some things to consider about how it looks, but technically importing it as a glass subset is no different from importing a solid subset).
Lab Assistant
#130 Old 5th Feb 2007 at 1:53 PM
OH! so im supposed to import my glass into http://sims.ambertation.de/!? well how do i make the glass subset before?

Part-time Hermit
Original Poster
#131 Old 5th Feb 2007 at 1:58 PM
No, I didn't mean you import the glass into the website, the forum just automatically turns the word "SimPE" into a link to the website where you download it from. I meant you import the mesh into SimPE the program.
Lab Assistant
#132 Old 5th Feb 2007 at 1:58 PM
lol, i see...Its just words. Well i know not to import the glass into the site. What i mean is i have to import the glass subset into simpe? and the tut with the material def and stuff is to just make it look good? if thats true how do I make the glass subset before i import it into SimPe?

Part-time Hermit
Original Poster
#133 Old 5th Feb 2007 at 2:04 PM
Like I said before, if you clone a table that already has a glass subset, you won't need this tutorial at all. In that case, the subset with its material definitions and everything is already built into the package, and there is no need to add those anymore.
Lab Assistant
#134 Old 5th Feb 2007 at 2:09 PM
yes, your right. But like you also said...

Quote: Originally posted by IgnorantBliss
I would rather help you make the changes yourself than do it for you, since the purpose of the tutorial and the forum in general is to learn to make things yourself . If I do it for you, you won't learn much, and won't know how to do it in the future.
[/list]

I do want to learn how to make a glass table, copying somthing thats already made isn't making anything new. but i just don't know how yet, (if you don't want to help thats fine) i need all the help i can get. And im making a table, which isnt a chair, the chair in the tut is just fabric, i could have done that myself. It's just the glass i dont know how to do. Is there a tut where its just strictly glass? and not a diffrent subset such as fabric? if so I'd like to know about it

Part-time Hermit
Original Poster
#135 Old 5th Feb 2007 at 2:30 PM
I don't understand how cloning a table with a glass subset already in it is any different from cloning a wooden table to make a wooden mesh. When you want to make a solid object, you clone an object that already has a solid part, you don't make that subset from scratch (even if you make the mesh from scratch). So, why would the glass need to be made from scratch? You can still edit the glass mesh, you just don't need to go through the hassle of doing linking inside the package. The end result is no less original than doing it from scratch. This is the way most creators work, they clone an existing object that is closest to the kind of object they want to make. This tutorial is meant for cases when there is no object to clone that has the subsets you need. The simplest approach is usually the best. If I want to make a coffee table, I clone a coffee table, not an end table where I'd have to adjust its height to get it working as a coffee table.

Now, if you want the table of the type and size that doesn't come with glass in the game originally, then it makes sense to add a new subset. In that case, it's probably easiest to import the glass Material Definition from an object that has the kind of glass you want. So, clone that object that you want to get the TXMT (Material Definition) from. Right click on the Material Definition file you see in the Type window, and select Extract. Then import that file to your actual object by right-clicking on the Type window and select Add, then browse to the file you want to import. Commit. Instead of cloning the TXMT, like in the tutorial, you import one. Now you need to rename the imported TXMT so that it matches the others in the package, and make sure the extension (_glass or whatever) matches the name you have given your glass subset, and that this new TXMT is linked correctly inside the package just like the cloned TXMT would.
Lab Assistant
#136 Old 5th Feb 2007 at 2:39 PM
ok, so if i clone from the glass mesh, i can import my other table right? will it still have the glass where i want?

Part-time Hermit
Original Poster
#137 Old 5th Feb 2007 at 2:44 PM
You can replace the glass mesh the same way you replace a solid mesh. You can make it a completely new shape like any other mesh.
Lab Assistant
#138 Old 5th Feb 2007 at 2:47 PM
ok thanks, sorry for snapping at you...well im not sorry literaly but I use excuse me, instead of sorry because im not sorry, but excuse me for snapping at you if i did, and I'll try it, could you repeat the names of the glass meshes again please?

Part-time Hermit
Original Poster
#139 Old 5th Feb 2007 at 2:54 PM
They are listed in this post by Numenor.

Apart from those, there are some tables from expansion packs that also have glass subsets. If you clone one of those, then people are going to need that expansion pack to use your clone.
Lab Assistant
#140 Old 5th Feb 2007 at 3:05 PM Last edited by AuraDemolisher : 5th Feb 2007 at 3:10 PM.
oh yea, i dont have pets ep, and i dont see and glass dining tables from the names he listed, are those tables in ep? ok nvm i didint see the ones he listed, but i see more.

Part-time Hermit
Original Poster
#141 Old 5th Feb 2007 at 3:12 PM
They are all from the base game, and they are listed by object data name, not descriptive name. To view object names, go to Extra -> Preferences -> SimPE Settings and select the "show OBJf filename", then restart SimPE.
Lab Assistant
#142 Old 5th Feb 2007 at 3:11 PM
oh ok thanks

Test Subject
#143 Old 12th Mar 2007 at 10:25 PM
I have been working on something for over a month now - with no success - until I found my way to this! Great tutorial, thanks so much!

LaLunaRossa & The Sims
About Sims
You don't get what you deserve, you get what you negotiate
Test Subject
#144 Old 10th Apr 2007 at 3:10 PM
thanks for this great tutorial it helped me a lot but I sit down here for hours without knowing how to add the subset part into the GMND file (geometric node)
I use SimPE version 0.60b (alpha, 0.60.2.20832)
How can I add the subset into GMND file in this version?

Simple Design :: my little world of sims
------------------------------
Every way is worthwhile to go when you know the aim!
Part-time Hermit
Original Poster
#145 Old 10th Apr 2007 at 7:49 PM
It should work exactly the same way is with the version this tutorial was written for. What specifically is the problem you're having?
Lab Assistant
#146 Old 15th Apr 2007 at 1:21 AM
I have a question and its just for curiosity...why do you have to fix the integrity of an object every time you change something in the Geometrical Data Container? Is that why objects like wall hangings and wall lamps do not actually stick to the wall when you don't fix its integrity...? I always had a problem that whenever I made a new mesh of a wall hanging it always floated instead of sticking into the wall.
And thanks for your subset tutorial, I will learn this as quick as I can:D
Part-time Hermit
Original Poster
#147 Old 15th Apr 2007 at 7:48 AM
I don't think Fixing Integrity has anything to do with how the mesh is positioned. If your wall hangings and lights are not parallel to the wall, you probably need to fix the position of the mesh in your mesh editor. It's helpful to use the original mesh as a reference on where the new mesh should be located. The game doesn't know what the back of the lamp or picture is supposed to be, you have to define its location yourself.
Lab Assistant
#148 Old 30th Apr 2007 at 10:40 PM
Default Help with a Town Clock
Hi IgnorantBliss,
I created a large clock for on the sides of community buildings and cloned it from the cheap alarm clock. I started it about 2 years ago and have been working on it off and on since I started my job, and I got the hands to work as they are suppose to and got it possitioned and everything, but the thing will not recolor no how. At first I recolored the cheap clock to see if it would recolor but it wouldn't and then I looked in the clock package and noticed it did not have the tsdesignmode included so just in experiencing with it, I added it to see if that would do it but it still didn't so I thought maybe it was just one that would not recolor. The I was looking at MTS2 and seen bobl created a school clock from the cheap alarm clock and it was recolorable and I messaged him and asked him how he did it. He said it always has been recolorable and that he didn't do anything to it but he did have numenor help him with the placing of it and that maybe he did something to it, so I asked numenor and he gave me a link to your tutorial on adding subsets to an item. Everything you have said in it I had already done except the hash generator which I did now and it still will not recolor. I have posted it up here and was wandering if you would look at it and tell me what I am missing in it or why it will not recolor. When I start a project it bugs me till it is completely finished and usable and right now it is workable but not colorable. Thank you.

Momma 'b'
Attached files:
File Type: rar  mjb_largetownclock052805.rar (62.1 KB, 9 downloads) - View custom content
Part-time Hermit
Original Poster
#149 Old 1st May 2007 at 8:48 AM
I found two problems with your file .

First problem was that it didn't follow the recommended naming system exactly. The names for the material definitions are supposed to have an underline before and after the subset name. Your filenames were mjb-largetownclock052805-body-default_txmt while they should be mjb-largetownclock052805_body_default_txmt. I changed those and all references to them.

Secondly, when you added the tsDesignModeEnabled blocks you did not add an entry to the datalist extension reference list correctly (my tutorial for using Maxis textures with a repository technique explains how to correctly add a new entry there ). I fixed that.

After these two fixes, the clock now seems to be recolorable .
Attached files:
File Type: zip  mjb_largetownclock052805.zip (68.4 KB, 12 downloads) - View custom content
Lab Assistant
#150 Old 2nd May 2007 at 1:19 AM
Default Thanks for the help on the clock
Thank you so much IgnorantBliss. I am so glad numenor told me about you and that you were able to help me. I did have the name as you did with the underscores and it still wouldn't recolor so I changed it thinking that might help, but it still didn't. It must have been the entry to the datalist extension reference list that I missed. Thank you also for letting me know about your tutorial on Repository Textures From Maxis Objects. It will come in handy in the future.

Momma 'b'
Page 6 of 10