Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
#101 Old 20th Jun 2005 at 4:14 PM
Create the initial package template
c. Select “File \ Open”.
d. Change the file type to “Package Description”.
e. Browse to and open the “package.xml” file.

I see where you can change filetypes but "package description' is not there!? where do I do this?
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#102 Old 25th Jun 2005 at 4:33 AM
thank you so much i need this for my new Cirque DE Freak career
#103 Old 25th Jun 2005 at 9:09 PM
I just found this document and I am sure impressed with it.
Congrats, this is great!
I'd like to do a NASCAR career before the end of the summer.

One question, though.

Your master career worksheet has a box for "# of levels"
to be set in Behavior Constant instance 1019.

What are the limits to this constant, and how does it affect the
numbering scheme for strings in the text lists, etc?

Do you simply expand them to accomodate?
Could you make a 12-level teen career?

Just curious,
Ming
#104 Old 25th Jun 2005 at 9:14 PM
For example, strings 0x13-0x14 apply to Hall of Famer (male) in the athletics career.
I designate the tuning variable for 11 levels in my athletics based career.
Now, does level 11 occupy string 0x15-0x16? Do the female strings move to accomodate?

Thanks,
Ming
Not a Llama
Original Poster
#105 Old 4th Jul 2005 at 5:45 AM
Sorry I have been away from this thread so long everyone, been very busy elsewhere. Thanks to everyone who helped answer the questions here in the meantime.

Now . . .

Quote: Originally posted by p00jkins
Psion,why not just use 0xFFFFFFFF for all the group IDs? That's what i have done with all my careers. Or else, sometimes, the career shows as red in Sims2pack clean installer.
Yes, 0xFFFFFFFF is what is normally used for custom content, however, if you combine 2 or more custom content type files into one large object file, such as what objects.package is, you will get GroupID conflicts.

As at the time of v0.05, there were no GroupIDs starting with 0xFF, which when combined with the GUID system, makes for a unique set of GroupIDs, which are required if multiple objects are packaged together (most likely a career pack"). That is the reasoning behind it. If in a singular file it doesn't matter, but the option to package it with others later is lost unless it is changed.

As far as getting a red listing in CI, I am not sure why that would occur. It should only happen if it detects something that will overwrite a Maxis core object, which should not occur with a unique GUID/GroupID set. It may be a hard coded thing in the program.

Quote: Originally posted by caitdawg137
okkk i downloaded it but now im soo clueless wat do i do next how do i get the procedure to pop up!? help plzz!
Depending on which version of the file you downloaded, doc or pdf, you will need either MS Word 2000 or higher for doc, or Adobe Acrobat for pdf to be able to view them. If you are asking how to extract those files from their .rar types, please click the link next to the files in the first post.[/QUOTE]

Quote: Originally posted by caitdawg137
I see where you can change filetypes but "package description' is not there!? where do I do this?
There is normally a down arrow next to this box. If for some reason the "Package Description" option is not available, you can also use the "All Files" option.

Quote: Originally posted by mingtmerciless
Your master career worksheet has a box for "# of levels" to be set in Behavior Constant instance 1019.

What are the limits to this constant, and how does it affect the numbering scheme for strings in the text lists, etc?

Do you simply expand them to accomodate?
Could you make a 12-level teen career?
The short answer is the fields numbers should expand, so that if you define a 24 level career, the first 24 value sets should be for male, and the following 24 for female, but I am unsure, as I haven't tested it myself. My hard drive crashed a little while ago and I haven't got around to installing the game again, so cannot easily test this at the moment.

As to the limits, again not tested, but likely around 127

There should be no artificial limit between a full blown adult career and a teen career.
Lab Assistant
#106 Old 11th Jul 2005 at 3:36 AM
Psion,

First of all, thanks for the terrific tutorial. It's been very helpful. I've used it primarily to "tune" certain careers. One thing I've been disappointed in is the 10k limit on salary. So I've been tuning certain careers to reflect more "real life," i.e., athletes and entertainers make quite a bit more money than the average joe or jane. Anyway, one thing I cannot seem to find in your tutorial is how to change the "bonus" pay. You know how every time a sim is promoted he/she gets a bonus? Is there a way to change that? If so, where and how?
Not a Llama
Original Poster
#107 Old 11th Jul 2005 at 5:00 AM
Quote: Originally posted by jtiger333
one thing I cannot seem to find in your tutorial is how to change the "bonus" pay . . . Is there a way to change that?
The bonus is a hard coded value as of EP1 and is always a one off bonus equal to twice the daily wage for the new career level just attained.

What this means is that if a sim is promoted to LevelX in their career which pays 1000 simoleans a day, the bonus will be 2000 simoleans.

This may change in a future EP.
Lab Assistant
#108 Old 11th Jul 2005 at 7:24 PM
Ah, thanks for the info.
Test Subject
#109 Old 15th Jul 2005 at 5:33 PM
Totally clueless
I have read this whole formum before I posted this... so if I repeat a question it is out of sheer stupidity.

First I think it is kinda cool that jmk asked a 1000 ?'s considering I love his career and I think it pure genius it almost gives me hope.
Then I realize that I can not figure out how to even start to make a career.
I printed out the whole 63 page tutorial... I am stuck on step on create a template. I can not even figure out how to open the main objects package.
Which I have the SimPE for the tech challenged printed also but it does not tell how to go about this. I have not found a SimPE tutorial on the careers other than this one... so I'm really crying help!!!

The thing that confuses me most is the career editor on SimPE it just seems to me that you could use that and it would be so much simpler since the whole thing is laid out for you. Which I haven't touched b/c of course I'm totally clueless and I don't wanna screw anything up.

So if anyone can point me to a good tutorial on how to even use SIMP# other than the one I have... or just point me in the right direction I'm sure I can complete step one and come back for step two.

By the way you tutorial is really great all the numbers really throw me off...b/c all I know about puters is how to type on them so I'm pretty sure I shouldn't even be trying to do this... but I got time guess I'll give it a shot.

[SIZE=3][COLOR=Blue]Sasha
Not a Llama
Original Poster
#110 Old 17th Jul 2005 at 3:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sasha7617
. . . I can not figure out how to even start to make a career . . . I am stuck on step on create a template. I can not even figure out how to open the main objects package . . . the career editor on SimPE . . . it just seems to me that you could use that and it would be so much simpler since the whole thing is laid out for you.

The Career Editor that now comes with SimPE could probably do the majority of what is listed here, but I have not really looked at it since pre-ep days, so not sure.

What precisely are you having problems understanding? My aim is to make this guide as clear as possible, but it does assume at least a passing knowledge of how to use Windows.
Test Subject
#111 Old 17th Jul 2005 at 8:02 PM
Default Can't Change object Group ID
I'm trying to create my career but can't seem to get very far. I've followed these steps:

Change object Group ID
a. Select “Object Data” from “Filetypes”.
b. Select instance “0x000041A7”.
c. Select the “Packed File” view tab.

Now I don't have a "Packed File" tab but I do have one that says package and thought it would be right. When I click on it however there is nothing like the next step:

d. Select all types (first entry / “------------“) from “Filetypes”.

All I see is:

Identifier DBPF, IndexType ptLongFileIndex, MajorVersion 1, MinorVersion 1, Version 4294967297

in a chart on one side and:

Hole Index:
Offset, Size

on the other side. What am I doing wrong?
Thank you!
#112 Old 18th Jul 2005 at 1:59 PM
I'm suffering from the same here. It seems the latest SimPE doesn't match half of what the tutorial says to do.
Test Subject
#113 Old 18th Jul 2005 at 6:07 PM Last edited by Psion : 21st Jul 2005 at 4:59 AM. Reason: Fixed layout
Quote: Originally posted by moog
I'm suffering from the same here. It seems the latest SimPE doesn't match half of what the tutorial says to do.

I am wondering if this might be where my confusion comes from too...? I do have a decent knowledge of windows.

The career editor can be used to do some of this but you (Psion) stated that you haven't really looked at it since ep came out. That might be something to venture for you newest update b/c it seems really simple to use. I am just not had any luck finding anything to tell me how to use it.

Which I am very sure that a tutorial like this is very time consuming especially since you are trying to make a tutorial on an alpha product. So it is constantly changing and trying to imporove.

I thank you for what you have tried to do and the time you have spent doing it.

Quote: Originally posted by Psion
What precisely are you having problems understanding? My aim is to make this guide as clear as possible, but it does assume at least a passing knowledge of how to use Windows.
I do not know how to open the objects... there is an objects workshop and another object thing so I am not for sure which one to use to start the template.

[SIZE=3][COLOR=Blue]Sasha
Test Subject
#114 Old 18th Jul 2005 at 7:03 PM
Default Create template
I wasn't able to create a template either because when I followed the instructions I found they were different from what I was seeing, extracting was done with a right click then select extract. Next when I tried to open the .xml file SimPE errored out.

I downloaded a template instead from:
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=49038

I then got stuck as stated above in my last post. I have been able to go on by not completing that step but I know that step is important, so I'll have to find out how to do it before considering the project complete. So far I've been okay, but I'm using a lot of my time to create job descriptions and I'm still on that step. I've also been working on the text for my chance cards while waiting for an answer.

I can tell a lot of work went into this and very much appreciate it. I can't wait to try out my new career. I'm sure we'll get the answers we need with patience!

:D
-M
Not a Llama
Original Poster
#115 Old 20th Jul 2005 at 12:29 PM Last edited by Psion : 21st Jul 2005 at 4:52 AM.
Okay, thanks to my hdd crashing, I hadn't even seen the new SimPE until about an hour ago. Big changes. As stated in the beginning of the doc, it was designed for a previous version of SimPE. Time for another major overhaul of my guide it seems. :smash:

Anyways, for those that don't want to wait, you can run SimPE in the original mode that my guide was designed for by executing the "SimPE (Classic GUI)" program in your SimPE folder in your startmenu. Not as flashy as the new interface, but should get you going with these docs.

I haven't tested this as yet, so any feedback is appreciated. (Hope it works!!) :P
Test Subject
#116 Old 20th Jul 2005 at 7:26 PM
Yes I will wait...b/c don't think i wanna do the changing stuff. Thanks for looking into that. I will check back for ur latest update.

I really do commend you... all of the creators and makers here. You guys all have lives and yet you do all of this others stuff. There are way more people who use stuff then makes stuff. I have been floathing this forum for lil bit now and I doesn't seem like yall get the appreciate you deserve. So much apprciation.
Not a Llama
Original Poster
#117 Old 21st Jul 2005 at 4:55 AM
I have had a further look at the new version of SimPE, and it looks like some of the functions that make life easier, like making a mass GroupID change may no longer be possible in the enhanced GUI (the pretty version). These functions are still available in the Classic GUI edition.

I will keep you posted on my progress with the docs conversion, but unless I am wrong about these things, it may actually be a much more time consuming process to use the newer "improved" interface in SimPE than the original.
Lab Assistant
#118 Old 22nd Jul 2005 at 8:50 PM
okay, i know i'm gonna get flamed for this ten times over, and be mistaken for a noob, but oh well. please, don't hurt me after i ask this question.
could any experienced programmers out there please please make a

simplified career making program? DON'T HURT ME!!
as in specifically for careers: edits ONLY career files, simplified. as in, code all hidden from user, but it automatically edits it to your whims? NO! NO! DON'T HURT ME!
well, i don't know much about programming, but it seems relatively easy for someone who is experienced (and if i'm wrong, no stones please, just a small correction) and this idea seems absurd even to ME, but if it would be possible, i say PLEASE do it. oh and if there already is one, just direct me to a link.
thanks. (im sorry, im sorry!)

"Nobody is perfect. I am nobody, ergo I am perfect."
-nobody
I like robots.
CHECK MY SEIZUREAFIED AVATAR ROBOT!
"What will you do with yours?"
Inventor
#119 Old 23rd Jul 2005 at 4:23 AM
As in Bidou's Career Editor?
#120 Old 23rd Jul 2005 at 6:43 PM
Hiya

I'm using the SimPE Classic GUI but having problems at step:

d. Select “Object Data” from “Filetypes”.

My only Filetype options are:-

Behaviour Content
Behaviour Function
Function
Slot file
Text Lists

Help?
Test Subject
#121 Old 24th Jul 2005 at 3:18 PM
Hi! :howdy: first of all, thank you very much for this beautiful tutorial! it helped me a lot!
i created a custom adult standard career EP1 ready and it works fine, but i have a problem with the custom reward! I have cloned a picture and i followed all the steps of the tutorial and the object appears in the rewards list.
when my sim reaches the level to obtain it ( i set it on the 10th) i can't take it from the list...
what's the problem, in your opinion? can someone help me, please?
thanx in advance!
Lab Assistant
#122 Old 24th Jul 2005 at 8:29 PM Last edited by thesims2masta : 24th Jul 2005 at 8:35 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by mod_bv
As in Bidou's Career Editor?

huh? never heard of it. WOW ill search it then thanks.
EDIT: oh nm. i meant as separate editor not part of simpe. like simplified. instead of code it just asks for what you would like to put for "career, lv 1, lv 2,"etc. instead of coding stuff. i mean, for dunces like me and some others. thanks for trying to help, though.

because i'm a :dunce:

"Nobody is perfect. I am nobody, ergo I am perfect."
-nobody
I like robots.
CHECK MY SEIZUREAFIED AVATAR ROBOT!
"What will you do with yours?"
Test Subject
#123 Old 27th Jul 2005 at 3:19 AM
Instructor
#124 Old 29th Jul 2005 at 3:14 AM
thanks!
Consciously Undead
retired moderator
#125 Old 30th Jul 2005 at 11:57 AM Last edited by SuperFly : 30th Jul 2005 at 1:32 PM. Reason: another thought
I'm creating a teen career, and I can't find the instructions describing how you set what career level a teen progresses to when they become an adult. Is this possibly to modify, or have just failed to find it in teh instructions?

Also, is there a fast way to 'enable all languages' a career's descriptions/chance cards?
Page 5 of 14