Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Trainee Moderator
staff: trainee moderator
#151 Old 2nd Jun 2015 at 4:04 PM
@simsfreq You may upload your two families. Extract the sims to BodyShop, clone them there and pack each sim into .sims2packages. Don't forget to include a .txt file in which you write down the names, aspirations, personality points, biographies, pregnancies or other details which need to be added.

Catalogue of Custom Neighborhoods for TS2
All Hood Building Group neighborhoods are available here
Want to get rid of EA's sims in neighborhoods? Check out my Clean and Empty Steatlh Hoods and Clean and Empty Neighborhood Templates
My Simblr
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#152 Old 2nd Jun 2015 at 7:21 PM
So, this is not intended as a completed lot. This is just a suggestion and a starting place. Basically I was supposed to be doing something else, but had a nagging idea, so I opened up the copy of Emerald Flats I made the group home in and tried it out. I got the core all right but the fringes quickly frustrated me, as there's so much I wanted that can't be done in base game - a patio centered around a fountain, for example.

Anyway, the idea here is that Emerald Heights has one of the earliest C.J. Peggey's chain department stores in the country, and when the mall developers wanted to build there the historical commission wouldn't let them demolish it, so they just made the building the center portion of the mall. This sort of thing is done all the time in historic cities like mine.

I set off the original C.J. Peggey's in brick on the outside, for ready identification, and the way that's laid out is exactly the way I'd envisioned. It's got all the available old department store staples - the mezzanine, the grand entrance, the piped-in music, the high platform with the would-be classy ornamentation, the third floor with offices and restrooms in the back, the fire escape (which I'm sure can be done better; I couldn't figure out how to switchback it without making it too prominent).

The wings and patio are a mess and I quickly got frustrated and gave up - hence the complete lack of fine detail or proper arrangement. There's a lot of lot there, and not much to build a store with in base game. I didn't even try to place shopping items or the arcade and my attempt to place landscaping was abortive. But I thought perhaps someone who's better at it could take a look and see what I did wrong and how it ought to go instead. Or y'all can just reject it out of hand, no hard feelings.

Dang, I should've taken pictures so y'all could take a look without opening the pack. Sorry. I didn't even think about having Fraps on.
Attached files:
File Type: 7z  Mall.7z (834.8 KB, 17 downloads) - View custom content
Description: Just a suggestion

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Trainee Moderator
#153 Old 2nd Jun 2015 at 8:23 PM
I'll take a look at your lot. It sounds good so there's no reason to reject it. We actually want to have as many contributors as possible. That's why we'll taking it. Thank you for the lot!

The Mall would be number 50. So, I'll add you to the list.

Want to get rid of EA's sims in neighborhoods? Check out my Clean and Empty Steatlh Hoods and Clean and Empty Neighborhood Templates
My Simblr
Mad Poster
#154 Old 2nd Jun 2015 at 8:34 PM
Well, credits will have to be me-and-somebody - it absolutely will not do as is and I am supposed to be doing something else.

(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Trainee Moderator
#155 Old 2nd Jun 2015 at 8:45 PM
OK, I'll have a look into your lot and see what I can do.

My Simblr
Mad Poster
#156 Old 2nd Jun 2015 at 10:23 PM
I will have a look tomorrow if I have time too - it sounds interesting I wanted a fountain in my apartment building too, I didn't realise that there wasn't one in base game. So I made the pond instead, but it will have floating fish if you load it in a game post-seasons, like the Capp house. So that's a suggestion for there, including a pond, which can be swapped out by anyone annoyed by flying fish in a later game setup.

Can I take lot #19, please? I'm working on a house for one of my families.

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Trainee Moderator
#157 Old 3rd Jun 2015 at 11:51 AM
Of course; lot #19 is yours.

My Simblr
Field Researcher
#158 Old 4th Jun 2015 at 12:07 AM
Alright, guys, I need some feedback--I'm getting the point where I'm more than halfway done, and I'll be doing some playtesting myself, but I'm starting to get bugged by that nagging feeling that I've forgotten something. I remembered the fire alarm (lol) but I worry about conceptual inconsistencies...eh, I'll show you what I've got and you can let me know what you think. There are several pics behind the spoiler.

I guess what I want to know is what is confusing--because this is about all the player is going to get to understand the story.

http://kahonseecity.livejournal.com/ < - New Prosperity Challenge. Last update: 6/9/14
Mad Poster
#159 Old 4th Jun 2015 at 12:42 AM
I don't find it confusing, but you can't go by me. That's a lot of characters but blended families get like this! Don't forget they'll be adding memories and relationships and players will be using those to help out. For instance, they'll wonder what Maribel could have to tell about this Holly person, look in the memories, and see met/best friends/fell in love or whatever and say: "Oooooh, I get it!" I love Litzy's bio.

I like the house, with reservations. I'm sure there's a better way to do the third floor bathroom. For one thing, I strongly recommend you not put a tub up there at all! People will be dragging Litzy all the way up there to bathe her an astonishing amount. Also, piano in a bedroom is just begging for midnight wakings. The telescope can only be used outside. You might want to put a railing on the deck, and consider giving it a floor covering, too. I only see one desk for two teens and a child.

Field Researcher
#160 Old 4th Jun 2015 at 12:49 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
I don't find it confusing, but you can't go by me. That's a lot of characters but blended families get like this! Don't forget they'll be adding memories and relationships and players will be using those to help out. For instance, they'll wonder what Maribel could have to tell about this Holly person, look in the memories, and see met/best friends/fell in love or whatever and say: "Oooooh, I get it!" I love Litzy's bio.

I like the house, with reservations. I'm sure there's a better way to do the third floor bathroom. For one thing, I strongly recommend you not put a tub up there at all! People will be dragging Litzy all the way up there to bathe her an astonishing amount. Also, piano in a bedroom is just begging for midnight wakings. The telescope can only be used outside. You might want to put a railing on the deck, and consider giving it a floor covering, too. I only see one desk for two teens and a child.

That's really helpful, thanks. A question about the telescope though--is that a base game thing? I use telescopes inside all the time; they just have to be pointed out a window. I'll have another look at the other things you mentioned. Maybe I can expand the public space on the third floor at the expense of the tub and some of the master bedroom space. That way I could put the piano and two more desks out there. I don't want the desks to fit in the girls' room because they're supposed to be crowded. The outside of the house just still needs to be done in the first place, so I'll get to that next.

http://kahonseecity.livejournal.com/ < - New Prosperity Challenge. Last update: 6/9/14
Mad Poster
#161 Old 4th Jun 2015 at 10:42 PM Last edited by simsfreq : 4th Jun 2015 at 11:05 PM.
Here are my two families, along with their documentation and notes - phew! I exported them using SimSurgery, opened and cloned in Bodyshop, packed up the Bodyshop clones. That is right, right?

Four housemates (call the household whatever you like, and change their surnames individually in SimPE). Consisting of two childhood friends: One who appears social, but is at heart a loner, and a loner who is hiding his true desires behind a love of books. They advertised for two housemates and ended up with one who is so vain he doesn't meet his responsibilities, and one who is more of a constant party guy, but driven.

And a family of four: Mum, dad, and 10/13 year old kids. (Actually I'd like to add a line to Merle's bio: Other kids seem to be growing out of playing, but Merle doesn't care. It's way more fun to be a pirate.) Mum and dad are young at heart, mum is especially outgoing, and teen daughter is an old soul who feels quite exasperated at the whole affair.

Actually, I'd like some feedback - for Corina (the teen daughter), I'm really torn about what her aspiration should be. I first had her down as family, but then thought that might create too much harmony with her family, who she's supposed to be clashing with somewhat. So I changed her to knowledge. But I don't know that she's bookish, and knowledge sims often embrace the "weird", so I don't know whether that fits, either. Then I thought maybe popularity could work, to signify that she wants to fit in. I ended up rolling a die and coming up with family, so that's what's in her documentation. But I would welcome any input on this

I also created the family's house, for lot 19. Unfortunately because of the roof type, some of the walls don't appear in lot view. I tried re-placing the walls, but it didn't work. Is this okay? If it's a problem I suppose I could change those roofs for another balcony, but I think they look better as roofs.

I have the grandparents, (father's parents) in case extra DNA is required, but I haven't written a story for them. It's possible that one of them could have the serious streak which resonates with Corina. So if anyone wants to write a story for one or both of them, I'm happy to pass them along.

@EmeraldFalcon - I like your story! The only thing that confused me was I couldn't work out who was related to who, but that will be taken care of in game by family trees, so not an issue. Now I've worked it out by reading through more slowly and it's not confusing at all.
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: rar  EathorpeFamily.rar (547.1 KB, 22 downloads) - View custom content
File Type: rar  4Housemates.rar (474.8 KB, 20 downloads) - View custom content
File Type: rar  3 Main Street_1.rar (541.4 KB, 19 downloads) - View custom content
Description: Now with lights ;)

Trainee Moderator
#162 Old 5th Jun 2015 at 7:49 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simsfreq
Here are my two families, along with their documentation and notes - phew! I exported them using SimSurgery, opened and cloned in Bodyshop, packed up the Bodyshop clones. That is right, right?

Yes, it is.

Four housemates (call the household whatever you like, and change their surnames individually in SimPE). Consisting of two childhood friends: One who appears social, but is at heart a loner, and a loner who is hiding his true desires behind a love of books. They advertised for two housemates and ended up with one who is so vain he doesn't meet his responsibilities, and one who is more of a constant party guy, but driven.

Sounds good. I assume "Roomies" or "Roommates" would fit for them... or simply just "Friends".

And a family of four: Mum, dad, and 10/13 year old kids. (Actually I'd like to add a line to Merle's bio: Other kids seem to be growing out of playing, but Merle doesn't care. It's way more fun to be a pirate.) Mum and dad are young at heart, mum is especially outgoing, and teen daughter is an old soul who feels quite exasperated at the whole affair.

Actually, I'd like some feedback - for Corina (the teen daughter), I'm really torn about what her aspiration should be. I first had her down as family, but then thought that might create too much harmony with her family, who she's supposed to be clashing with somewhat. So I changed her to knowledge. But I don't know that she's bookish, and knowledge sims often embrace the "weird", so I don't know whether that fits, either. Then I thought maybe popularity could work, to signify that she wants to fit in. I ended up rolling a die and coming up with family, so that's what's in her documentation. But I would welcome any input on this

I think, Popularity would fit best for her. But we can leave her Family if you want.

I also created the family's house, for lot 19. Unfortunately because of the roof type, some of the walls don't appear in lot view. I tried re-placing the walls, but it didn't work. Is this okay? If it's a problem I suppose I could change those roofs for another balcony, but I think they look better as roofs.

No, it's not a problem. That's because of the roofs. It doesn't matter how it looks like in the neighborhood view.

I have the grandparents, (father's parents) in case extra DNA is required, but I haven't written a story for them. It's possible that one of them could have the serious streak which resonates with Corina. So if anyone wants to write a story for one or both of them, I'm happy to pass them along.

The grandparents are not really necessary, unless he has a half-sibling. Then, at least 3 grandparents are necessary. (step-grandparent (can be either female or male), grandfather, grandmother)

My Simblr
Mad Poster
#163 Old 5th Jun 2015 at 7:57 AM
Yep, no, Dad has no siblings at all. I just kept them in case. I mean, I guess if anybody is looking for a story to dovetail, as Peni put it, there they are Just let me know and I'll pass them onto that person directly. I only made their face structure as adults, so they don't have clothes or personalities set or anything.

Friends is okay, although there's a Maxis household with that name attached to one of the universities. I am British and have used the term Housemates rather than Roommates in their bios, so it might look odd if you use some variation on Roomies. But I really don't mind, if that makes it easier to see what their immediate relationship is. (For us, roommate means sharing a room, and we'd use housemate or flatmate to denote a house share.)

Trainee Moderator
#164 Old 5th Jun 2015 at 8:00 AM
Ah I see. We could also rename it to "Best Friends Forever"

Of course, if you don't mind.

My Simblr
Mad Poster
#165 Old 5th Jun 2015 at 8:04 AM
Since we're talking about creating families: I'd like to create a family, the Patches, where their toddler daughter died. (Not sure how, but it seems as though the only possible way of killing a toddler during normal game-play is through a fire, because, apparently, an EP broke toddlers' fire resistivity. I'm hoping to make the cause an illness, rather than a fire.)

It would consist of Adam, Flora and little Dahlia (did some reading about a murder case, Black Dahlia, and Dahlia is a type of flower, so it matches the theme for this family. And since the woman who got murdered was nicknamed by that, I chose it, cause of the death connection. :S )

So, my only concern, for now, before I do create this family, is a dead toddler. What do you guys think? Is it safe?

P.S. I created a family with a toddler in a test neighborhood, and used Rodney's Death Creator on the toddler, and she managed to die of illness, though the animations were a bit weird, cause the death was meant for teens and older. I didn't play for long enough to see the ghost though. :P
Trainee Moderator
#166 Old 5th Jun 2015 at 8:09 AM
Sorry to disappoint you but I wouldn't let Children or Toddlers die. It's not safe. They both have missing ghost animations. Thus, if they appear at night, their "parent" sim will come to take them away. Since they are in the "Defaults" household, the Grim Reaper will be the "parent" sim and will try to take the children away. But it will fail and corrupt the neighborhood and the game. That's why, I wouldn't kill any babies, toddlers or children. And, I could never manage to kill any children. That's terrible. I could never ever manage that.

The toddlers/babies can't die in a vanilla game but children can. But the graves of the children need to be deleted because of this ghost "parent" issue. Do we REALLY have to kill babies? Can't we kill a pregnant woman instead... if you REALLY have to kill babies?

My Simblr
Mad Poster
#167 Old 5th Jun 2015 at 8:18 AM
Oh, if I can be pedantic - I have an irrational hatred for the phrase "Best friends forever", so I would rather not have them named that. And besides, it doesn't fit them, because only two are old friends and the others are new. "Old and new friends" would work, "Roomies" "Housemates" "Mates" "Dudes" "Guys" "Singles" "Bachelors"?

M.M.A.A. I think that the dead toddler would be safe, although of course you have to create her alive. I don't think that toddlers haunt. There was an old thread in the discussion section about killing off toddlers and children. I've had children die of illness in the Apocalypse challenge.
Ninjaed! But odd - I am certain I've had children die perfectly naturally in game without use of any hacks at all. I've had them scared to death and die from illness. I guess that sickness is so mild in an unpatched game, it would be a very unlikely death and hence perhaps untested, but scared to death - they ought to have tested that!

I've put Peni's mall lot into my game to take screenshots. Here they are.

Mad Poster
#168 Old 5th Jun 2015 at 8:59 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Jawusa
Sorry to disappoint you but I wouldn't let Children or Toddlers die. It's not safe. They both have missing ghost animations. Thus, if they appear at night, their "parent" sim will come to take them away. Since they are in the "Defaults" household, the Grim Reaper will be the "parent" sim and will try to take the children away. But it will fail and corrupt the neighborhood and the game. That's why, I wouldn't kill any babies, toddlers or children. And, I could never manage to kill any children. That's terrible. I could never ever manage that.

The toddlers/babies can't die in a vanilla game but children can. But the graves of the children need to be deleted because of this ghost "parent" issue. Do we REALLY have to kill babies? Can't we kill a pregnant woman instead... if you REALLY have to kill babies?

Ah! That's a shame! EA really should've fixed that! Imagine all the possible stories if it was safe to do! Thanks for the info/heads up though!

Ninjaed! But odd - I am certain I've had children die perfectly naturally in game without use of any hacks at all. I've had them scared to death and die from illness. I guess that sickness is so mild in an unpatched game, it would be a very unlikely death and hence perhaps untested, but scared to death - they ought to have tested that!

But did you manage to see their ghosts? If so, what happened?

I'm hoping that, after reading Jawusa's post regarding children's ghosts being taken home by their "parent" (Grim Reaper), that this would only cause corruption if the person who died was a child, not a toddler (does it happen to toddlers too?) . But I guess having glitchy ghost animations wouldn't help either.

Ok then, I think I have a better plan/story for this family:

"After years of trying and being told that they will never get pregnant, Adam and Flora never lost hope! Instead, they opted for adoption. However, Mother Nature can be quite funny sometimes, cause when little "'Flower' or 'Daisy' or 'Dahlia' or etc..." arrived; that set the start for something else to grow!"

Adam and Flora will have to be halfway through adulthood (like 16 or 15 days away from elderhood. Unless you kinda want a challenge: 10 days away. Whichever you guys think it's best. )

How about that? I think you should get what's going on. However, I'm not so sure about the last part (underlined). Can someone try to rephrase it?
Trainee Moderator
#169 Old 5th Jun 2015 at 11:39 AM Last edited by Jawusa : 5th Jun 2015 at 11:50 AM.
So... he got abducted by aliens? Or did she get pregnant by him? What happened?

Anyway, we could rename it to "Bachelors" then, if you don't mind, simsfreq.
Oh, and I wouldn't place more than 3 cashier registers on a community lot. Because the game will generate a new NPC for each cashier register. And there shouldn't be more than 3 cashier NPCs in the neighborhood.

I'm not sure about toddlers and babies but as said, this is not possible without cheats. And therefore, believed not safe to do.
Killng off children is acutally safe but the ghost should not appear then. In a vanilla game, the children can drown to death. It doesn't corrupt the game. It's the ghost that is unsafe because of the "parent" sim issue.

I'd say you shouldn't kill any toddlers or babies. You CAN kill children but then, you have to delete their tombstone. I'm not sure whether the ghosts appear on community lots. But because of the "parent" sim issue, I don't recommend doing this.

My Simblr
Mad Poster
#170 Old 5th Jun 2015 at 12:35 PM
So... he got abducted by aliens? Or did she get pregnant by him? What happened?

Lol! No no! No alien abduction. She's pregnant by him. I think we have (and we will have) enough of those in other neighborhoods.

I'm not sure about toddlers and babies but as said, this is not possible without cheats. And therefore, believed not safe to do.
Killng off children is acutally safe but the ghost should not appear then. In a vanilla game, the children can drown to death. It doesn't corrupt the game. It's the ghost that is unsafe because of the "parent" sim issue.

I'd say you shouldn't kill any toddlers or babies. You CAN kill children but then, you have to delete their tombstone. I'm not sure whether the ghosts appear on community lots. But because of the "parent" sim issue, I don't recommend doing this.

Yeah it's ok, I just changed the storyline all at once.
Mad Poster
#171 Old 5th Jun 2015 at 4:17 PM
I'm not 100% sure about ghosts. I've had enough children die (in three incarnations of an apocalypse hood where most everyone died!) that I'd be surprised if it hadn't happened, but I've never seen any messages about being taken home or seen the grim reaper visit for anything outside his usual job, but I have all EPs - perhaps it was fixed in a later one. Or perhaps they never showed up as ghosts and I didn't notice.

Bachelors is fine

Trainee Moderator
#172 Old 5th Jun 2015 at 4:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by M.M.A.A.
... that set the start for something else to grow

That's why I thought it was an alien abduction.

Anyway, we could set them 10 days away from elderhood. To have a child, it shouldn't be less than 6 days away. If you want, we could set them 6 days away from elderhood. This is the last chance then. The option "Try for Baby" does not appear when the sim is 5 days away from elderhood.

I'm not 100% sure about ghosts. I've had enough children die (in three incarnations of an apocalypse hood where most everyone died!) that I'd be surprised if it hadn't happened, but I've never seen any messages about being taken home or seen the grim reaper visit for anything outside his usual job, but I have all EPs - perhaps it was fixed in a later one. Or perhaps they never showed up as ghosts and I didn't notice.

I remember this bug to happen in a up-to-AL game. I mean, every EP and SP except for Mansion and Garden Stuff. Maybe, you have sent the child ghosts to the cemetary. I'm not sure whether any ghosts appear in community lot but there might be people who move it back to the lot and once they appear, it will corrupt the game, not only the neighborhood.

Also, it needn't be the Grim Reaper. Sometimes, it's the Witch Doctor or the ideal Plantsim... or Mrs. Crumplebottom. In my game, it was the Grim Reaper who came and left immediately and the child ghost was gone.

My Simblr
Mad Poster
#173 Old 5th Jun 2015 at 4:38 PM Last edited by M.M.A.A. : 5th Jun 2015 at 5:27 PM.

I think I have a solution for this: Once the kid dies, you'll have to send the grave to a community lot, cause ghosts need a while for them to appear from their graves, and if we move them to the cemetery before this time-frame ends on their home lot, the ghost won't spawn. That's what I've been doing with all my graves, to avoid ghosts from scaring the wrong person, such as an NPC, or something, to avoid corruption. I don't know though if there's any way to move a grave to a community lot with just the BG. :/

What do you think, Jawusa? Could this work? (Sorry if I'm asking questions repeatedly about this subject, but I just want to be sure. )

Anyways, back to suggestion #2:

That's why I thought it was an alien abduction.

Anyway, we could set them 10 days away from elderhood. To have a child, it shouldn't be less than 6 days away. If you want, we could set them 6 days away from elderhood. This is the last chance then. The option "Try for Baby" does not appear when the sim is 5 days away from elderhood.

On second thought, I think it would be better if we just set them at 15 days away. I feel as though 10 days is a bit too late. Idk... Is it? 15 seems perfect though, it's right in the middle! (Sort of.) :P

We can worry about setting the days later, we're in no hurry with that, I'll just have to create the family first. I think it's better to decide after, once we actually get to see the family and all.
Mad Poster
#174 Old 5th Jun 2015 at 5:19 PM
The trouble with sending the grave to the cemetery is, you can't do that until NL.

Somewhere out there is a player who only has base game, or base game + Uni, on an underpowered laptop that she takes with her to keep herself sane on business trips; and that person is one reason y'all made the creative decision to make this a BG hood.

There's also someone who has all EPs but doesn't read all the instructions and won't know to send that grave to the cemetery and will screw up her game.

Mad Poster
#175 Old 5th Jun 2015 at 5:27 PM Last edited by M.M.A.A. : 5th Jun 2015 at 5:49 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
The trouble with sending the grave to the cemetery is, you can't do that until NL.

Somewhere out there is a player who only has base game, or base game + Uni, on an underpowered laptop that she takes with her to keep herself sane on business trips; and that person is one reason y'all made the creative decision to make this a BG hood.

There's also someone who has all EPs but doesn't read all the instructions and won't know to send that grave to the cemetery and will screw up her game.

Oh. Right. Wish it was easier.

Ok, I guess we could leave that story line behind, and go with storyline #2.

Again, sorry for troubling y'all, but thank you!
Page 7 of 34