Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#51 Old 14th Feb 2010 at 4:44 PM
Thanks, that helped
Advertisement
Test Subject
#52 Old 15th Feb 2010 at 8:55 AM
Hey I'm having trouble getting the package editor from your link, it gives me the 404 error when I click on it...
The Attack Cat
retired moderator
Original Poster
#53 Old 15th Feb 2010 at 3:53 PM
Sorry about that, I never changed it from when they moved over to this site. Links should be working now, If not just go to the s3pi and library forum under the create - sims 3 drop down.
Scholar
#54 Old 16th Feb 2010 at 4:03 PM
Thank you very much for this tutorial and the video.
Mad Poster
#55 Old 3rd Apr 2010 at 7:27 PM
A quick question. Is it possible to find the object id in s3pe? or can you only get it in code?
Lab Assistant
#56 Old 13th Apr 2010 at 10:51 PM
I'm having trouble with the new version of s3pe, specifically trouble with adding the resource key. What do I put in the data part?
Test Subject
#57 Old 19th Apr 2010 at 2:14 PM
Thanks a lot for this tutorial ,,,

but I got one problem, I DL'ed: Microsoft Visual C# 2010 and not able to load mscorlib.dll as the reference , .

I did check the "Do not reference mscorlib.dll" in the build-prop, however I can not find "Set the active configuraiton to All Configurations"-part anywhere. There are no Configuration/Platform boxes on the top of the build configuration screen ... I'm probably missing something obvious.

Should I un-install 2010 and go for 2008 ver. instead??
Test Subject
#58 Old 2nd May 2010 at 5:07 PM
for some reason when i try to open the dll files from in the tutorial video. S3PE gives me this message

Could not open package:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Game\Bin\Gameplay.package
Front-end Distribution: 1003-06-1044
Library Distribution: 1003-06-1044
Access to the path 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Game\Bin\Gameplay.package' is denied.
at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)

at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy)

at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy)

at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share)

at s3pi.Package.Package.OpenPackage(Int32 APIversion, String PackagePath, Boolean readwrite)

at S3PIDemoFE.MainForm.MainForm_PackageFilenameChanged(Object sender, EventArgs e)
-----
Test Subject
#59 Old 7th May 2010 at 4:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ssjbrily
for some reason when i try to open the dll files from in the tutorial video. S3PE gives me this message

Could not open package:
-----

I ran across that problem myself today... easy fix. Run as administrator.
Test Subject
#60 Old 7th May 2010 at 6:50 PM
Thank you sooo much brujah236 :DD
Lab Assistant
#61 Old 15th May 2010 at 4:22 AM
Question: is it possible to find the 'manifest modules' with postal? I'm not really familiar with postal, but S3PE keeps crashing when I try to view the resources. That would just be a mono thing, but it means S3PE is out.
Anyone got any insights?

Mac-tastic Sims 3 - Tips and tutorials for making the most out of your Sims 3 experience on Mac :D
http://www.mactasticsims3.com
Lab Assistant
#62 Old 25th May 2010 at 1:17 AM
Thanks again for the wonderful tut. I was wondering how do you make nested interactions? like when you click "buy" more items come up like "1", "10","20"?

Smile tomorow will be worse.
1978 gallons of pancake batter
#63 Old 28th May 2010 at 3:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by PigiePower
Thanks again for the wonderful tut. I was wondering how do you make nested interactions? like when you click "buy" more items come up like "1", "10","20"?

Well, the low-brain approach would be to actually make three interactions, whose GetInteractionName() methods return "1", "10" and "20". Their GetPath() method would return {"Buy"} in this case.

You can see an example of the smart way implemented for the TurnOn interactions in the light class.

I usually use the low-brain approach BTW.

If gotcha is all you’ve got, then you’ve got nothing. - Paul Krugman
Instructor
#64 Old 10th Jul 2010 at 3:28 AM
I was doing your tutorial and noticed that since the notice box has changed since patch 1.12, the kTip isn't valid anymore.
I searched through the new patch code and ended up using kSimTalking.

The rest worked fine except for two issues: the interaction name in the game shows up as blank, even if I don't put in a string name for the interaction (and also if I do). The teddybear has the "talk to me" interaction I added (which works as expected), but also retains the two teddy interactions: "Give name to" and "pick up", is this supposed to happen? I changed the script class in the OBJK, and I don't know where else it would be finding these interactions.

This space intentionally left blank...
#65 Old 11th Jul 2010 at 12:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Nukael
The teddybear has the "talk to me" interaction I added (which works as expected), but also retains the two teddy interactions: "Give name to" and "pick up", is this supposed to happen?
Look at the declaration of the TalkingTeddy class:
Code:
public class TalkingTeddy : StuffedAnimal
The StuffedAnimal after the colon means that the TalkingTeddy will have everything the StuffedAnimal class has.

In OO language:
- TalkingTeddy inherits from StuffedAnimal
- TalkingTeddy is derived from StuffedAnimal
- TalkingTeddy is a sub class to StuffedAnimal
- StuffedAnimal is a base class to TalkingTeddy
- TalkingTeddy IS_A StuffedAnimal

The last one is key to the understanding of the OO principle. If you use the Sims3.Gameplay.Queries.GetObjects() method for example to find all objects of the StuffedAnimal class, it will find all objects from derived classes too, i.e. in this case the TalkingTeddy. That's because TalkingTeddy is a StuffedAnimal. Just like a German shepherd is a dog and a rottweiler is a dog. If you told someone to bring you all dogs in the area, you probably wouldn't be surprised to find him/her bringing you rottweilers as well as German shepherds.

That being said, you can still change the TalkingTeddy to stop the other interactions from showing up. Look at the OnStartup() method from TalkingTeddy:
Code:
public override void OnStartup()
              {
                  base.OnStartup();
                  base.AddInteraction(TalktoMe.Singleton);
              }
base.OnStartup(); will call the OnStartup() method from StuffedAnimal, i.e. this one.

Code:
{
    base.AddComponent<ItemComponent>(new object[] { false, new List<Type>(new Type[] { typeof(Sim) }) });
    base.AddComponent<NameComponent>(new object[0]);
    base.AddInteraction(PickUp.Singleton);
    base.AddInteraction(PlayWith.Singleton);
    base.AddInteraction(TalkThrough.Singleton);
    base.AddInventoryInteraction(PickUp.Singleton);
    base.AddInventoryInteraction(PlayWith.Singleton);
    base.AddInventoryInteraction(TalkThrough.Singleton);
    this.StartPose(false);
}
There you can see the interactions being added. To not add these interactions, remove the base.OnStartup(); from the TalkingTeddy.OnStartup() method and copy everything but the interactions stuff from StuffedAnimal.OnStartup(). The resulting TalkingTeddy.OnStartup() would look like this:
Code:
              {
                  base.AddComponent<ItemComponent>(new object[] { false, new List<Type>(new Type[] { typeof(Sim) }) });
                  base.AddComponent<NameComponent>(new object[0]);
                  this.StartPose(false);
                  base.AddInteraction(TalktoMe.Singleton);
              }

Instructor
#66 Old 14th Jul 2010 at 6:06 AM
Oh, wow, thanks so much for your reply. That helped a lot! :D

This space intentionally left blank...
Test Subject
#67 Old 14th Jul 2010 at 9:09 AM
Thanks for this great tutorial.

However, no matter what I do, what I try, I can't get it to work. :/

I'm using VS2010 but I used .NET 2.0 as stated in the tutorial.
I tried to make my own object and failed so then I decided to just follow the tutorial step by step with the TeddyBear and even so it doesn't work.
I then watched carefully the video tutorial and changed what was different (no compression when creating the S3SA entry, and hashing the namespace.classname instead of just the classname as stated in the text tutorial).
Sadly, it still didn't work...

When I load the object ingame it just sits there and says "no interactions possible" when I click on it.

I downloaded Delphy's Framework installer and it says everything is fine...
I also tried using the .dll compiled using the AssemblyGenerator instead of VS2010...
I even tried with different versions of s3pe...

I've been trying to make this work for 2 days now and I have to admit it's starting to affect my sanity.
#68 Old 14th Jul 2010 at 4:47 PM
@Sukhavati: The "no interactions possible" means that script didn't get loaded. From my experience I can tell that the absolute value of the instance doesn't matter. It only needs to be unique. There's a distinct possibility for an instance conflict, but that's really unlikely. When a GameObject gets instantiated without a script, it's usually because the script class entry in the OBJK resource isn't set correctly.

You might want to upload your package so people can have a look at it.

Test Subject
#69 Old 14th Jul 2010 at 5:18 PM
As I said, I tried many things following this tutorial and reading up the comments after, still don't know why it's not working as I specified each time namespace.classname in the OBJK resource.

Here's the latest package I tried.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  Sukhavati_ToyStuffedAnimalTeddyBear.zip (177.0 KB, 24 downloads) - View custom content
Description: Sukhavati_ToyStuffedAnimalTeddyBear.package
#70 Old 14th Jul 2010 at 6:08 PM
@Sukhavati: Your package works fine. If you're loading a savegame (without deleting the scriptcache) with the teddy already placed, the script won't get updated when you update the package. Always buy a new object from the catalog to make sure it gets the latest version of the script. It's either that or you're having framework failure, i.e. the game doesn't load custom scripts to begin with.

Test Subject
#71 Old 14th Jul 2010 at 6:28 PM

I buy a new item each time I try... And I have a few other mods installed (and they're working)...

Hmmm... I'm really gonna lose the last shred of sanity I have...

Ok, well, at least it eliminates some variables as to why it's not working, up until now I thought the package was to blame...

I'm gonna try deleting the scriptcache, without any other mod, etc...until this damn thing works!!!!

Thanks for the help.
#72 Old 14th Jul 2010 at 6:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Sukhavati
And I have a few other mods installed (and they're working)...
Yes, but are these script mods? Tuning mods won't tell you anything.

Test Subject
#73 Old 14th Jul 2010 at 6:43 PM
Hmm, not sure, only got the nointro and nomosaic mods.

I just tried ingame after deleting the cache and removing the other mods and still no luck...

I'll keep looking...
Test Subject
#74 Old 14th Jul 2010 at 6:58 PM
AHHH!!!!

I found it!!!

And indeed, it's working

I installed the Resource.cfg and the mods something like a year ago when the mod folder was going into the game folder.
Now it goes into "my documents"..............

I wish I had looked this up sooner...

My bad...
And many thanks for the help, I could have kept on recreating that package for weeks (or give up before killing someone :p) without your insight.

Now it's time to try and create the package I had in mind. :lovestruc
Test Subject
#75 Old 1st Sep 2010 at 9:26 PM
Thank you so much! I had a lot of difficulty following the written tutorial, but the video made it a whole lot easier.

Thank you
Locked thread | Locked by: HugeLunatic Reason: Please see updated tutorial in wiki, see first post.
Page 3 of 4