Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Alchemist
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Oct 2012 at 9:26 AM Last edited by Rawra : 22nd Oct 2012 at 8:51 AM.
Default Hollywood Wears Glasses
So this is a fanfic for The L Word I started writing quite some time ago. Have just found it again, and I want to continue it (and also post my progress here).

It was around noon, and The Planet was almost empty. It had been long since Jenny's death, barely anyone still remembered that it had happened. Shane was absently reading a fashion magazine (though the hipster in her didn't care much about fashion), and Alice was sipping from a cup of tea. A random Sunday noon, one might say, but that day, West Hollywood was about to get a new face.
A relatively tall girl, of about 170 cm, dressed with a black coat, straight dark blue ripped jeans, grey boots, hazel ruffled hair and a rugged overall look, walked in the bar, with a bag around her shoulders. She was wearing glasses, but had them at the middle of her nose. Alice raised her eyes at her instantly.
“Don't look, Shane, but I think I just saw your little sister!”
“My what-- oh...” she said, looking at the newcomer.
The new girl looked pretty disoriented, so the polite Alice decided to invite her to their table.
“Hey, uh... Glasses!” Alice said.
Shane looked at her with disapproval. “Really, Alice? Glasses? Is that how you greet someone?”
The young girl smiled and came to their table. “Yeah?” she said, bending over to be at Alice's level.
“Sit down!” Alice ordered, and the girl obliged. “I'm Alice Pieszecki, this is Shane McCutcheon.”
“Uh, nice to meet you. I'm Miruna.” the girl introduced herself, in an Eastern European accent, shaking hands with the two girls.
“Do you think she's a dyke?” Alice whispered to Shane's ear, much to her disapproval, again. “So, Glasses... Can I call you Glasses? It's easier to pronounce than your name.”
'Glasses' giggled. “Sure, whatever floats your boat.”
“Okay. Are you new to LA?”
“New to LA, new to America as a whole. Such a new world, never thought there was so much out there that I was missing. I'm from Romania, by the way.” the girl said; it was easily noticeable the change in her tone, she was obviously less shy now.
Helena walked in just then, holding a bag of groceries. “Sweet lord, is it just me, or is the bread getting heavier these d--... Ooh, who is her?” she asked, pointing towards the young girl.
“Glasses.” Shane muttered, much to Miruna's amusement.
“Yes, my name is Miruna, but they want to call me Glasses, so Glasses it shall be.” Glasses said, standing up.
Helena analyzed her from heat to feet, then put the bag on the table, shaking hands with her. “I'm Helena Peabody, nice to meet you...” Is she a dyke? She lip-muttered to the two of them.
I think so, Alice answered, as Shane didn't want to play Alice's immature 'find the gay' game'. “Okay, guys, me and Helena have some shopping to do!”
“No, we don't...”
“You PROMISED you'll help me find a nice pair of boots for the winter!”
The two of them left, even though Helena was in no mood to go anywhere. “Pff, femmes.” Shane mumbled to herself. “Anyway, sorry for Alice. She makes these jokes to everyone, don't be insulted.”
Glasses laughed. “Oh, I'm not insulted that easily. Huh, it's really weird to be talking to like, way older women... I mean, not that... Uh, you know...”
Shane laughed and patted Glasses's back. “No, it's okay. How old are you?”
“18.”
“Best age ever. I shall ask you something, for Alice – are you gay?”
The girl chuckled. “Why does it matter?”
“Thank you for the answer.” Shane said, laughing.
“Hey, I didn't say anything! I like guys!”
“C'mon, I can tell by many things. I am not 'this old' for nothing! Anyway, it doesn't matter. Just curiosity.”
“It's actually more complicated than that. I've always been told in school that I'm gay, I even had this best guy friend, who was my friend because he knew we would never be together, as he thought I was gay. I was discriminated by straights for being gay, and by gays for being straight. I sincerely don't know what I am, probably bisexual, with a slight preference for... Uh, well, bisexual.”
Shane smiled and nodded at the 'slight preference' Glasses had mentioned. “Listen. I'll take you out tonight to Hit, the club over the street. You tell me what you like, I'll make sure you get it.” the woman said, winking at Glasses.
“Alright, I guess. I have no plans for tonight.”
McCutcheon chuckled. No one has plans when I invite them out, she thought, smiling to herself.

And that's it for now. Should have updates daily, though. :D

Evil doesn't worry about not being good. - The Warden, Dragon Age Origins
Advertisement
Alchemist
Original Poster
#2 Old 18th Oct 2012 at 11:22 PM
An update. *battles eyelashes*

Later on that day, Alice and Helena were still out, desperately searching for boots.
“Alice, I swear, you've been searching for two hours straight!”
“Even if I've been searching for two hours gay, I am not stopping until I find something I could wear! Besides, would you rather be at The Planet with Shane and the new blood?”
Helena shook her head disapprovingly. “New blood? You're making it sound like we're some kind of a secret organization. Plus, you don't even know if she's gay.”
“Gosh, is there any doubt?” Alice said, rolling her eyes. She spotted a pair of dark blue boots. “Ooh, shiny!” she said, going inside the shop.
Helena followed. She had no choice, after all. “Really? These?” she sighed, looking at the pair of boots Alice was drooling over. After all, she had offered to pay for whatever Alice would want to buy, she had all the rights to express her opinion.
“Yeah, these. What's wrong with them?”
Helena looked at them, then back at Alice. “Why are you suddenly turning into such a butch?”
Alice laughed, but Peabody was clearly not amused. “Because it's stylish. But wait, you wouldn't know much about what's stylish.”
Helena rolled her eyes and punched Alice jokingly. “Let's go get you your butch boots.”
There was quite the queue formed in front of the cashier. The two women were eagerly waiting to get ahead. Helena noticed someone grabbing a ring from the accessory rack, and going right behind them.
“Hey, Alice... Isn't that the new girl?” Peabody pointed out.
Pieszecki sighed. “It's her alright. Should we say hello?”
“Why is that even a question?” Helena asked, a bit angrily. She turned around and smiled at Glasses.
“Just noticed me, huh?” the girl asked, smiling widely.
Alice noticed how badly her smile looked like Shane's, and chuckled to herself. “Hey, Glasses. How's it going?”
“Just picking up this.” she said, smiling again at the ring; it was a dragon biting its tail, a pretty generic symbol. “It is a gift, and hopefully a good one.”
“Ooh, who's it for?” Alice asked, but Helena hit her with her elbow. “Hey, I'm just curious...” she mumbled.
The young girl rubbed the back of her neck, shyly. “Oh, no one special.”
They let Glasses go ahead of them in the queue, then left together. “Can I drive you home?” Helena asked, as they reached her car.
“Sure.” Alice said.
“Not you, Alice...” Helena sighed.
Glasses chuckled. “I'd love to.”
The three of them got in the car, and Helena turned on the engine, stepping on the acceleration.
“Gosh, I can't believe Shane turned me down again for the cheese and wine dinner party tonight!” Alice said, disapprovingly. “I mean, seriously, picking up random girls and their STDs is more important and fun than my perfect little evening?”
“Oh, I don't know, Alice, maybe she has better plans.” Glasses mumbled, smiling roguishly. She was sitting in front, so she couldn't see the extremely angry Alice who was frowning at her.
“And just what would you know?”
They all left an awkward silence to set in, but Alice got Glasses's innuendo. “Wait a minute... She asked you out, didn't she? That's... That's who you've bought the ring for!”
The European laughed loudly. “It's not like that, we're going out so she can show me some faces.”
“Oh, I bet she'll show you her face under your...”
“Alice!” Helena yelled, shaking her head.
“Have it your way, Glasses.” Pieszecki said, rolling her eyes.
“Alice, are we getting a little jealous?”
“What would I be jealous of? I've been friends with her for years, some girl who wasn't even born when we met each other isn't gonna change that!”
They'd arrived at Glasses's apartment block, so she opened the car door. “My, my, sorry for the trouble, Alice. I was just trying to make some friends around here, didn't mean to cause jealousy.”
“Why, you little...” Alice started, but Glasses was already out. She winked at the blonde, and Pieszecki could swear that it was Shane who winked at her just then...

Alchemist
Original Poster
#3 Old 19th Oct 2012 at 8:38 AM
Update!

The Hit was bursting with people. It just had that vibe of life every club in West Hollywood had, and something more, but Glasses couldn't put her hand on it. Everyone was so happy, so careless, dancing away each and every worry they'd felt. The music itself was hypnotizing; everything about Hit that night was marvelous.
Shane was (as per usual) flirting with a girl at the bar, but, when she saw Glasses coming in, she told the girl to go away.
“But I thought...”
“Sorry. Some other time.” Shane said, and patted the girl's shoulder. “Hey, kiddo, you came!” she yelled, when she approached Glasses. She hugged her tightly.
“Uh, what's the surprise?” the girl asked, going after Shane, towards the bar.
“I don't know, I'm just glad you came. Can I buy you anything?”
They sat down at the bar. Pretty much everyone was staring at Glasses; after all, she was a new face among the regulars.
“A glass of lemonade. I don't do alcohol.” Glasses bluntly said.
“Oh, fuck off, kid, I'll get you a shot of whiskey and you can't do anything about it!” Shane said, then proceeded to order two shots.
The barmaid looked suspiciously at the new girl. “You... you're new around here, aren't you?” she asked, while pouring the whiskey.
“Pretty much, yeah.” the girl answered, while contemplating her shot. “Shane, I really don't want to...”
“Is it because you think it's 'illegal', or because you don't like it?”
“Both.”
“No one is gonna arrest you, kiddo. Just try it. No one really likes it, it's always an acquired taste.”
Glasses took a sip from it, then licked her lips. After she'd finished, Shane had long since drunk her glass. “Hmm, it wasn't that bad.”
McCutcheon smiled. “Told ya. Hey, wanna dance?”
“I don't like to...”
“Gee, girl, you don't like anything that's fun. C'mon.” she said, then grabbed Glasses's arm and dragged her on the dance floor.
They started dancing, letting that vibe of life get into them and make them move. Glasses was enjoying it, even though she never thought she was going to like to dance.
All the fun was gone when Shane saw someone she hadn't seen since years ago. She suddenly stopped dancing, and Glasses saw her face changing rapidly from happiness and excitement to sadness.
“Hey, anything wrong?” Glasses asked, putting her hand on Shane's shoulder.
“Hello, Shane.” a relatively short, tanned and black-haired girl said.
“Hey... Carmen.” she responded, gulping. “Um, Carmen, this is Glasses, Glasses, Carmen...”
They shook hands. “Nice to meet you, Carmen.” the girl said; she honestly didn't know what to do, she didn't know anything about the relationship between Shane and Carmen.
“Is she like, your new acquisition?” Carmen asked, with disgust in her voice.
“No, she's... She's new around, so I thought I'd show her around.”
“Interesting. Well, I have to go, my fiancée is waiting outside. Wouldn't want her to wait too much, after all, it would be worthless.” she said, then left without saying goodbye.
Shane rubbed her forehead. She felt her knees weakening, her senses mixing together. “Listen, kid, mind if we go home? I think I've had enough of this place for tonight.”
Glasses was a bit confused, but she obliged. “No problem.”
McCutcheon nodded, as she felt like, if she spoke, she would burst into tears.
Shane drove Glasses home, and, when she stopped the car, she turned her blue eyes towards the young girl, who was in a way better mood than her. Her youth was so reinvigorating for Shane. She was like a gate to a whole new world. Might have been too much if she said she'd fallen in love with her, but she felt something similar – respect, admiration, she couldn't put her finger on it, but it was clear.
“That was fun!” Glasses said, excitedly.
Shane smiled sadly. “I'm glad.”
Awkward silence...
“So, I guess it's goodnight then?” Shane asked.
Glasses kissed her on the cheek and smiled. “Yep, goodnight. And thanks for the drinks.” she said, then went inside.
Shane touched her cheek and grinned as widely as she could, then drove off.

Alchemist
Original Poster
#4 Old 22nd Oct 2012 at 8:48 AM
Next update, in case anyone is still reading.

The next day, it was already Monday, the start of yet another week. First thing in the morning for the girls was a cup of coffee at The Planet. Kit, Alice, Shane, Helena, Bette and Tina were all gathered at one table, talking about random subjects that happened to pop up in their minds.
“So, Shane, how was your night? Eventful, I suppose?” Bette asked, making everyone else giggle.
McCutcheon smiled a bit sadly and gulped down her cup of coffee like it was alcohol. “Yes, Bette darling, but not in the way one might expect.”
“Oh, I bet you needed glasses to see the pillow, didn't you?” Alice asked, laughing, even though no one got the joke (except Shane, but she wasn't amused).
The short-haired brunette smiled sarcastically at Alice. “No, Alice, I saw my pillow just fine, thank you very much.”
“Hey, girls... Is that her?” Kit pointed at the girl who'd just entered.
“Yeah, that's her...” Shane said, standing up with a happy grin on her face and almost ran towards Glasses. “'Morning!” she said, hugging her.
Glasses smiled and hugged Shane back. “Good morning! What a nice greeting, I am used to a disgusted 'hello' and a bored waved of one's hand.”
“Eh, as you may have noticed, we are a bit different.”
“Oh, I say.”
Shane led Glasses to the table, wanting to introduce her to the rest of the women, but she interrupted her. “Alright, let me guess – Bette, Tina aaand...” she said, pointing her finger towards the two, who smiled.
“And Kit.” the older Porter sister said, shaking Glasses's hand.
“How did you know us?” Tina asked, standing up and shaking the girl's hand after Bette did.
“Well, Shane told me a bit about you. It's so sweet knowing that you've been together for so long!”
“Not only the two of us, but this whole group. You'll see, anyway.” Bette said. “Well, sisters, I'm off to work. I'll see you later.”
“Bye, Bette!” they all said, and Tina pecked her swiftly on the lips.
They spent more than an hour talking about different subjects, Glasses being only the witness to most of them, seeing as she didn't know anyone or anything.
“I have some news, by the way.” Kit announced. “Marina is coming by this week. She says she's really curious about how the Planet's been.”
“Marina who?” Glasses asked.
“Marina Ferrer, the deadly bisexual predator, late Jenny's inner demon.” Alice said with an ironic tone in her voice.
Shane didn't seem too amused at her disregard towards Jenny. “Anyway, it'd be great to talk to her again. Haven't seen her in years!”
“I bet Glasses is gonna love her!” Helena pointed out.
“I wouldn't be so sure about that. I'm not a big fan of bisexuals, even though I identify as one.” Glasses said, then smiled condescendingly at Alice. “No offense, dear, but I find bisexuals to be too insecure of themselves to date.”
“Y'hear that, girls? Don't date Glasses, she's an insecure bitch!” Alice yelled, under everyone else's disapproving eyes.
Shane chuckled and ruffled Glasses's hair. “What the kid says is true, Alice, you can't deny that.”
“Not all of us are like that!” Pieszecki disagreed, leaning forward over the table.
An awkward silence followed, as it was bound to happen. “
“I gotta go to work, see you later. C'mon, Helena, you gotta drop me off.” Alice said.
The two of them left, and Kit went to tend to the bar.
Glasses was playing with the little white spoon in her coffee. She liked Alice, and felt really sorry that they'd started off on the wrong foot. Shane noticed her bad mood. “Look, Alice is probably just PMS'ing. Besides, she isn't used to someone responding to her sarcastic remarks. Just give her some time, don't feel bad about it.”
Glasses scoffed and took a sip from the cup she was playing in. “I don't see her warming up about me any time soon.”
The woman smiled and placed her hand over Glasses's. “It's very hard not to like you, Glasses, trust me.”
The girl grinned. “Alice is obviously trying really hard.”
Another awkward silence, before Tina decided it was best to leave the two alone. “I'll leave you to it, girls. See you.” she said, then pecked each of them on the cheeks.
“Leave us to what?” Glasses asked, chuckling innocently.
“She probably thinks I'm flirting with you.”
The young girl giggled and leaned forward, resting her chin on her fists. “Are you?”
Shane shook her head disapprovingly and laughed, then crossed her legs, lowering her eyes then raising them at Glasses. “You'll just have to find that out yourself, won't you kiddo?”

Alchemist
Original Poster
#5 Old 24th Oct 2012 at 10:07 AM
The next day, Alice decided it was yet again time for some shopping, this time only with Shane. She seemed pretty distracted though (more so than usual; after all, who could've been interested in Alice's fashion choices?).
“God, Shane, are you even listening?”
“Huh?” she responded, like waken from trance. “Yeah, 'course I am.”
“Really? What colour did I say I wanted my new jeans to be?”
Shane rubbed the back of her neck and shrugged carelessly. “Okay, I wasn't paying attention.”
“What's going on?”
“Alice, I never pay attention to you when you talk about clothes.”
“No, but you at least try not to show it.”
Shane sighed and sat on a bench. Alice followed. “It's just... I saw Carmen the other day... She was just so cold, like we're mere acquaintances.”
“Well, it's not like you left her at the altar... oh wait.”
“Fuck you.” she said, and jokingly punched Alice.
Again, the usual awkward silence, broken by Alice's ringing phone. “Hello?... Oh, hi!... Yeah, I'm great, and you?... That's awesome! Be ready for the surprise party... oh wait... Okay, we'll be waiting... Bye, have a nice flight.” Alice closed the phone and grinned. “Guess who's coming tomorrow?”
Shane looked at her with boredom. “Who?”
“Marina! Isn't that awesome? We're gonna have a party! Oh, oh, we could do The Planet's 'Radar' again, only in Hit this time!”
“What's with the enthusiasm, Alice? You never really liked her.”
“Oh, but it's been so long since we've seen each other! Besides, it's the... bisexual chemistry, between the two of us.”
McCutcheon scoffed. “Yeah, sure. Where's that chemistry between you and Glasses?”
“Glasses is just a misunderstood teenager, screw her.” Alice said, frowning.
“Why the hell can't you just get along? She's not that bad. Besides, she's really trying to be friendly with you.”
“By mocking me? Sure, Shane, that's really friendly. Y'know what, stop trying to make me like her, 'cause I won't, anyway.”
“Well, she is gonna be with us daily, so you should get used to her.” Shane said, lighting a cigarette carelessly.
“Oh, how sweet, you're taking her under your protective wing. God, you're such a lesbian.”
“As are we all.”
Shane blew the smoke towards Alice, making her cough. “You're impossible.”
The brunette grinned and stood up. “Look at that.” she said, pointing towards a girl who just entered the H&M shop. “If you'll excuse me, I have to catch my prey for today.”
“Right, right, the eternal 'Donna Juanita'. I wonder if you'll ever drop the act.”
Shane laughed. “See you later, Alice.”
“Send her my regards, will ya.” Alice yelled at Shane, as she was distancing.
Around evening, The Planet was pretty empty, as per usual during the week. Glasses came in, only to see that she was alone (at least because there was no one she knew). There was only Kit, who was sitting bored behind the bar, reading a magazine.
“Hey, girl!” Kit said.
Glasses waved and approached her, smiling. “Hey, Kit.”
“How come you're not with Shane?” she asked, giggling.
Glasses chuckled and started playing with her fingers, awkwardly. “We're not married or anything.” she said, laughing.
The woman laughed too. “Wouldn't be that bad if you were.” she mumbled, then turned around.
“What?”
“Oh, nothing. Here's a frappe. On the house.” she said, then handed her a glass of frappe. “So how's school going? If you're going to school, that is.”
“Oh, it's going well. Yeah, I'm in college.”
“Which major?”
“Philology.”
“Interesting. Look, it's Bette!” she said, pointing at her sister who'd just come in the café.
“Hi Kit, hi Glasses.” Bette said, then sat down at the bar.
“Hey, baby sis, how was work today?”
Bette shrugged. “The boring usual. Hey, Glasses, where's Shane?”
Glasses faceslapped, giggling awkwardly. “Why does everyone ask me that? We've just met four days ago.”
“With the lesbian tendency to U-Haul, four days is the perfect time to settle down and get married.” Bette said, laughing.
“And, if I'm any judge, Shane really likes you. I mean, she hasn't had sex with you yet; really likes you.” Kit said, rolling her neck.
“Gosh, she isn't flirting with me or anything...”
Bette and Kit drank from their cups of coffee and looked at each other while doing so. “Nope, not at all.” Bette said, then the two of them started laughing, leaving Glasses confused.
Shane had just walked in at that moment, with the girl from H&M. She french-kissed her then the girl left. Glasses looked a bit irritated by Shane's PDA, but didn't say anything.
“How's it going, chicks?” Shane said, then joined them at the bar.
Kit poured coffee in a cup and gave it to Shane. “Smoothly. Who was that?”
“Uh, Penny? Jenny... Lenny.” Shane stuttered. “The H&M girl. That's easy to remember.”
Glasses gulped and continued to sip quietly from the straw in her frappe. McCutcheon noticed her silence. She ruffled her hair. “What's up, Glasses?”
“The atmosphere.” she answered sarcastically.
The Porter sisters laughed, as they had noticed Glasses's obvious jealousy. Shane had yet to get it. “Why so bitter?”
“Oh, just drop it, Shane. You flirt with everyone, you fuck everyone, I wonder how you don't get tired of it.” Glasses said, then stood up and left.
Shane was confused. “What the hell just happened? What'd I do?”
“You have to learn that, when you woo someone, you don't go around wooing everyone else too.” Bette said, disapprovingly.
“But I wasn't... I mean... Shit, I didn't mean to do that. I don't even like Glasses in that way. She'd gotten the wrong idea. She's way too young for me, I don't do that.”
“Oh, really, girl? You were so damn obviously flirting with her yesterday.”
“I may have been, but I was playing around. Thought she was...”
“Too young to understand? She's clearly not.” Bette pointed out.
“I need to talk to her and clear this up. I really like her, but not in that way, at all. It's how I like Alice, or you, or Kit, or Helena...” Shane said, then rubbed her forehead.
“I don't think she likes you in that way either, Shane. But it can be pretty irritating, what you just did.”
“I'll just apologize... It can't be that bad.”