Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#101 Old 18th May 2007 at 10:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Seuss
Just a quick question. I have all my videos converted and they work great (thanks for the tutorial.) My only problem now is that my girlfriend enjoys watching television episodes in the background while she's playing, sadly the sims are either always changing the channel or turning off the TV when they get up. Is there any way to avoid this at all, possibly a hack of some sort?

When you're playing that lot just click options.../game options. On the bottom you should see free will. Turn it off to stop them from switching the channel or turning the tv off. but the downside is that they will stop making automated actions (in other words, they will not act themselves, you'll have to control them all manually). Should be no problem, even a household full of even more than 28 sims shouldn't be hard to handle.
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#102 Old 5th Jun 2007 at 2:04 AM
What version are you using?
I am using 1.7.2 and it looks different
Test Subject
#103 Old 29th Jun 2007 at 11:34 PM
thank you
Instructor
#104 Old 19th Aug 2007 at 1:41 AM
Tnx So Much!!!!

Anybody who can make a Yoon Eun Hye Sim?
Test Subject
#105 Old 28th Sep 2007 at 5:54 PM
Virtual Dub Has Updated Can We Have An Updated Version Of This Cos The Screens In My New Virtual Dub Are Different From This One Please Help ME!!!!!!
Lab Assistant
#106 Old 13th Oct 2007 at 2:02 PM
Thanks A Lot!

"Sometimes Dreams Turn Into Greed"From Nightwish Song Cadence Of Her Last Breath

Take A Look At My Journal Just Updated!
http://www.nightwish.com/en/files/audio
Theorist
#107 Old 21st Oct 2007 at 10:48 PM
Default Try Using 256 x 256 Pixels - and SUPER!
Has anyone tried converting down to 256 x 256 pixels rather than 128 x 128? A have found a slight but visible increase in smoothness when playing back 256 x 256 video with the game's player, for only a trivial (1% or so) increase in file size. Yes, the player only displays 128 x 128, but oversampling improves the clarity. After noticing this, I remembered the Nyquist-Shannon Sampling Theorem from tech school way back when. It is because of this theorem that CDs are sampled at 44.1 kHz, even though we can only hear up to about 20 kHz.

I noticed that there are some issues about using Virtual Dub for WMV video. I have got along well with SUPER, which is also free. The attachment shows the settings that work best for me.
Screenshots
Test Subject
#108 Old 10th Nov 2007 at 8:06 AM
Thanks, now I can convert anime and video games for my Sims viewing and video-gaming pleasure! <3

*wants to see her Zelda sims playing Zelda on their GameCube*

Power. Wisdom. Courage.
The Legend of Zelda.

May the Triforce be with you.
Test Subject
#109 Old 23rd Apr 2008 at 11:12 PM
HELP!

I get videos playing in the game but they don't fill the whole screen. When I resized them as instructed in tutorial the video filled only upper half of the screen. Not resizing resulted the video appearing only in upper left corner, filling 1/4 of the screen. The video itself looks compressed horizontally, but it looks normal when I play it outside the game.

What am I doing wrong?
Theorist
#110 Old 24th Apr 2008 at 2:21 AM
All I can suggest is to try using Super with the settings shown in the post above. It always works for me. What is the video format of your source file?
Test Subject
#111 Old 24th Apr 2008 at 8:06 AM
bik. I converted them to avi using Rad Video Tools. I'll try Super and let you know if it works.
Test Subject
#112 Old 24th Apr 2008 at 8:52 AM
Well...better than before. Now it's less compressed and fills almost the whole screen. I should test different resolutions. Thanks for help Sophie-David. I'll return once I have found the solution or...um...haven't.
Test Subject
#113 Old 24th Apr 2008 at 10:56 AM
the easiest solution is always the hardest to find. that means I got it fixed. all I had to do was set the 256x256 and 15 fps already in Rad Video Tools. 128x128 didn't work well so bigger reso seems to be the correct one. the video looks stretched when watching with video player but in game it's perfect.
Theorist
#114 Old 24th Apr 2008 at 1:49 PM
Well I did find 256 x 256 was an optimal size, as mentioned above. But in my case it was a question of smoothness rather than of actually filling the screen. 128 x 128 should of worked of course, but sometimes these things are magic! Yes, the in-game televisions do have a non-linear projection, so the picture will look somewhat distorted outside of the game.
Test Subject
#115 Old 14th Jun 2008 at 11:28 PM Last edited by BobSalawalatski : 15th Jun 2008 at 7:12 AM.
I have a problem.

I followed another tutorial on MTS2 on getting the custom channels to work, but I only get the top-left quarter of the video. The corner is in the correct place, but the center of the video is stretched to the bottom-right corner of the screen, and the rest is simply cut off. Everything else works perfectly.

I've been using SUPER for a long time, so I used it again this time, but I cannot select the settings in the screenshot above.

I have build 30, whereas the screenshot Sophie-David posted shows build 23, and for whatever reason, this one is a lot more limited.

I'm pretty sure if I could convert the videos with the settings above, my problem would go away, but I am unable to with SUPER. Are there any other good and free converters that can help me?

The image I've included shows what I'm working with as far as SUPER goes.

I've tried several different combinations of settings, but only the quality of the video changes at all.
Screenshots
Test Subject
#116 Old 25th Aug 2008 at 6:43 AM
After I done everything you said about the Virtaldub I got a blank after I selected MPEG Layer-3. Did I do something wrong or is it mt program. I just downloaded it today.
Test Subject
#117 Old 25th Sep 2008 at 3:44 AM
Default The AVI dosent work
Hi, just wondering if you could help me, see, when i convert a file to AVI and i try to transformit to a sims 2 format (with virtual dub) when i try to charge it virtual dub, it says that needs to be a VFW (videos for windows) i tried everything to do that but it dosent works with any converter, in fact, HELP
Test Subject
#118 Old 18th Oct 2008 at 4:03 PM
Default Help!!!
I can't see the images!
Please give my a tutorial without images but with text only.
Test Subject
#119 Old 12th Jan 2009 at 5:45 AM
Haha, awesome! My Sims are watching my favorite anime show now. Sweet. :D
Test Subject
#120 Old 26th Jan 2009 at 2:49 AM
virtualdub is not working for me i downloaded it and i can find out to start it!
Test Subject
#121 Old 9th Mar 2009 at 8:16 AM
aw this use to work for me before (a year ago) but now it doesnt. when i play the channel in the game where i put my video file, it crashes.
Test Subject
#122 Old 19th Aug 2009 at 7:44 PM
Default help
Please help
when ever i try to open my avi. file to virtual dub it says it does not have the right decompresser and dosnt load the file any help?

if someone could give me help thx
Field Researcher
#123 Old 8th Sep 2009 at 12:26 AM
I should download that program, as soon as my computer gets more disk space.
Test Subject
#124 Old 8th Nov 2009 at 12:51 AM
I know it's been a while since this was active, but I'm having a problem no one else has had so far. The audio is working fine, but the image itself is not showing up. There are no problems otherwise. Anyone have some suggestions?
Test Subject
#125 Old 15th Jul 2010 at 11:58 PM
Default Here's a problem not discussed before Re: Custom movies in sims 2
I know that this topic is some years old, but I hope someone can still help me.

Ok, I've got a really wierd problem. I've tried using custom channels to use custom videos in The sims 2 (the Sophie David ones. plus the custom television channels by Eric.

Now when there are no files in the Movie folders I've created, I obviously get the screen with the large X in the middle over the name of the tv channel, which is what I expected.

The moment I put ANY file( it doesn't matter if I've converted them myself or downloaded know working files - I've got both SUPER and virtualdub) in any of the folders, and get my sim to change to that channel, my computer immediately crashes to the desktop and the sims 2 is no longer running. BUT, if I copy one of the files from the games own folders (ie pets go bad) into the custom folders and get the sim to change to that channel, everythings fine and the file plays. What the heck is wrong, why won't my avi's run?

For information perposes, I've got every expansion up to and including pets, plus Glamour life stuff and family fun stuff.

I've tried all the solutions described in the threads (not just this one), but nothing works.

Can somebody help please, this is driving me nuts, but I don't intend giving up.

Thanks in advance.

Pete
Page 5 of 6