Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th Jun 2021 at 2:36 PM
Default How do I create a custom trait that affects skills, career and needs?
Hi there, I would like some help in creating custom traits. First some background info: I have no modding/ computer programming experience other than typical middleschool/ highschool Scratch and Turtle Art Computing experience. So far, I have been able to successfully make two traits using Zerbo's Mod Constructor V04.

Now I would like to try and make it so that my traits affect my sim's needs/ motives (like bladder, hunger decay), my sim's career performance (how quickly their performance increases) and how well they perform at certain skills. My traits are aimed more for toddlers/ children lifestate. I know that Mod Constructor V02 had this ability but I'm unsure on how to do it now.

Any help would be much appreciated!
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 6th Jun 2021 at 9:32 PM
You need to do some editing of the trait's Core Buff to pull that kind of thing off. Highlight the buff in the Core Buffs section of the trait's page, then click "Open Element: Value". On that separate tab, you should be able to add modifiers that'll cover pretty much all you're asking for - skill and skill tag modifiers, need decay modifiers, statistic modifiers etc.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you need any further assistance.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 13th Jun 2021 at 3:00 AM
Hi There! This is actually really helpful, however, my "Open Element: Value" button won't open.

After doing some research I figured that I may need to download and configure the path to Python which I think I've successfully done.

Honestly, if I do need to do some extra programming with XMLs to try I could probably learn as I have a pretty long holiday coming up My only restraint is that I can't 'buy' any programs.

Do you think that my "Open Element: Value" could be because Python is required and the pathway isn't configured properly? or would adding modifiers require some outside programming from ModConstructor?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 13th Jun 2021 at 10:27 AM
Ignore that-- thank you so much! I actually got it working! I fiddled around with it a bit and I ended up having to go through "View Element tree" then press on the core buff in the list that came up and then press "Open value." I think I also needed to additionally download source code. (Its almost as if my computer wouldn't let me mod until I finished my midterms project ) I'm so happy right now! I've got a three week holiday and I'll definetely finish this!

Thanks for your help!