Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Jun 2021 at 1:18 PM Last edited by puniglorie : 19th Jun 2021 at 1:05 PM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default (solved) Error: Failed to find any directx 9.0c compatible graphics adapters...
After restarting my lap I can open the game and play just fine but only for ONE time, after I saved and quitted, I started the game again and it said 'Failed to find any directx 9.0c compatible graphics adapters in this system!..' The same goes for other games as well not just the sims like The Sims 4 'unable to start: cant run the sims 4 with the video card in this system..'; The Sims 3: 'unable to start game Service initialization failed..'; GTA crashed.. Its so weird and annoying you have to restart to play one game one time everytime. I haved installed newest directx, updated my graphic card driver and tried so many ways on the internet but it didnt work please help me!
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 10th Jun 2021 at 3:45 PM
Have you set up the game with GraphicRules? Can be done manually, although the GRM can be a help, at least for TS2.
https://www.simsnetwork.com/tools/graphics-rules-maker

Are you playing full-screen or windowed? The directx issue can be an issue for fullscreen on newer computers, especially if there's a mismatch between the screen resolution and a few other things. Windowed mode can help if setting up graphicRules doesn't fix it.

You may have to set up GraphicRules for TS3 and TS4 too - but that probably has to be done manually, and you may have to find a tutorial on how to do that.

(I had the Directx issue with TS2, but set it to windowed, haven't had the issue after. I have played both TS3 and TS4 windowed since I got them, and haven't had any Directx issues with them, not sure if that's due to having them in windowed or not, but it could be helping).

You can test if windowed mode helps by right-clicking the shortcut you use to start your game, choose "properties", click the "shortcut" tab, and where it says "target", add a space and -w after the quote mark. It should go directly to the startup EXE as a shortcut, so for instance the Sims2EP9.exe if you have the UC or M&G.
(the game screen might look very tiny when you do this, but that's a sign you need to fix GraphicRules).
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 10th Jun 2021 at 4:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Have you set up the game with GraphicRules? Can be done manually, although the GRM can be a help, at least for TS2.
https://www.simsnetwork.com/tools/graphics-rules-maker

Are you playing full-screen or windowed? The directx issue can be an issue for fullscreen on newer computers, especially if there's a mismatch between the screen resolution and a few other things. Windowed mode can help if setting up graphicRules doesn't fix it.

You may have to set up GraphicRules for TS3 and TS4 too - but that probably has to be done manually, and you may have to find a tutorial on how to do that.

(I had the Directx issue with TS2, but set it to windowed, haven't had the issue after. I have played both TS3 and TS4 windowed since I got them, and haven't had any Directx issues with them, not sure if that's due to having them in windowed or not, but it could be helping).

You can test if windowed mode helps by right-clicking the shortcut you use to start your game, choose "properties", click the "shortcut" tab, and where it says "target", add a space and -w after the quote mark. It should go directly to the startup EXE as a shortcut, so for instance the Sims2EP9.exe if you have the UC or M&G.
(the game screen might look very tiny when you do this, but that's a sign you need to fix GraphicRules).

Thanks for your help! I have tried setting up the game with graphic rule and running it in window mode but it still could only work for one time after restarting (error always occurs if i try to start the game second time). Ive been playing both games just fine before but the error suddenly happened just 3 days ago.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 10th Jun 2021 at 5:08 PM
Did you do any changes 3 days ago, or did the laptop update or anything like that?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 10th Jun 2021 at 5:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Did you do any changes 3 days ago, or did the laptop update or anything like that?

I think the problem happened after I added the game to amd radeon setting and adjusted the graphic setting (I do that all the time. I dont think that has anything to do with it. Its normal right? I then reset it anyway). Other than that I didnt make any changes (I did update window but its after the error)
Field Researcher
#6 Old 10th Jun 2021 at 8:32 PM
There are several ways to trigger the error, but these are probably not the only ones:
- a typo in the Graphics Rules file (any mistake will trigger it)
- setting texture memory as "Do not force" in Graphics Rules Maker (there is a bug in version 2.0.0 where it's missing a " in a report)
- trying to run in fullscreen (sometimes running in windowed mode fixes it).

I am a bit worried, though, because you say it happens with other games as well.
Test Subject
#7 Old 11th Jun 2021 at 9:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by puniglorie
I think the problem happened after I added the game to amd radeon setting and adjusted the graphic setting (I do that all the time. I dont think that has anything to do with it. Its normal right? I then reset it anyway). Other than that I didnt make any changes (I did update window but its after the error)

If you're using an AMD laptop with an APU and a dGPU it could be that games are switching to using the graphics on the APU instead of the dGPU. You should be able to check for this either in the windows device manager or the Radeon settings panel. If you're using any power saving settings, on laptops it will often switch to using the APU graphics because it consumes less battery power.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 13th Jun 2021 at 6:49 AM
Thank you all so much for the help! The error is gone now (after I reinstalled my graphic driver for numerous times lol. I dont know if its the solution but it suddenly worked)