Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Sep 2013 at 2:44 PM
Default Alien-Colony Project
Hello everyone!
I'm currently working on an alien colony (not like a whole hood, but more like a couple of buildings, sims and one or two careers).
Until now I've finished a "Pollinator" career, a few sims and a house.

This house.
It should look a bit like a bunker, like the kind of house you would build on a moon where asteroids crash into your garden everyday...
Well. It could be inabited by an alien rebell and former Pollinator who'd really like to go out and meet people but can't because he would be arrested as soon as he leaves his house.

Like this guy... i think he's kinda ok, but if you know how to improve him, please tell me...
Everything is CC-free.
Do you have some tips for me to improve the house?
Thank you!
Screenshots
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 17th Sep 2013 at 3:37 PM
If you're doing this for upload, you'll need screenshots rather than game camera ones.

If these are intended as individual lots as uploads, you'll also need to upload empty, never-inhabited versions of the house and the sims directly. The irregularity of the lot can also cause placement problems. Read through the Creator Guidelines for lots.

An actual alien colony neighborhood sounds cool and I'd like to see it done.

That one-tile hallway is going to cause traffic jams. Thin in terms of expanding the place once he no longer lives alone; about the social space needs of single sims; about how it will play over time. The pod structure looks cool, but I'd have to start modifying it for use in my own playstyle immediately, which makes it less attractive as a download.

I think that's a handsome PT, but my taste is not to be relied on.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 17th Sep 2013 at 4:29 PM
Thanks Peni!

No, he doesn't live in the lot, I want to upload, but in the clone in my hood. xD Maybe I'll upload a clone of him seperately ...
This hallway is really a problem, but I don't really know a way to make it larger without making the house look kinda silly
Until I figure it out, the house will be for isolated singles only, lol xD
Greetings
Banned
#4 Old 17th Sep 2013 at 6:07 PM
i agree i use fraps for screen shots. good luck.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 20th Sep 2013 at 3:08 PM
Thanks inquisitor!
Is this freeware? I guess I'll get it too then...
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 1st Oct 2013 at 2:40 PM
Hello everyone
Didn't find a way to improve the house yet... working on it.
Btw: does the ground reallly have to be completely even? i built the house on a flat lot so al "craters" are made with the ground tool in build mode. Don't they disappear if the lot is moved away?

But anyway, the colony isn't just one house. there are also some inhabitants. like these fine ladies:

Lalira

The only doctor in the colony (note: a doctor and not a bricklayer/etc...). I wanted her to look very friendly. Anything you would improve, or do you think the face is ok?

Nerinai

She is a pilot and rather proud of it. That's why she keeps wearing these goggles all the time. Nerinai is also rather cunning and eager to work or cheat her way to the top... She's not really a beauty, but her face is rather distinctive. I think I still have to work on it to keep it from looking to cartoonish, what do you think?

Kirela

The self confident governor of the colony. I think she's rather neat, but... I don't know, do you think she looks a bit boring?

Btw:Thanks for all the nice feedback so far! *cookies for everyone!*
Screenshots
Banned
#7 Old 1st Oct 2013 at 6:36 PM
you did great work. be proud.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 3rd Oct 2013 at 4:55 PM
thanks DarkWarrior!
so you think I should not change the faces anymore?
Banned
#9 Old 3rd Oct 2013 at 7:24 PM
Default hi
no leave as if i like it. tell me if uploaded okay. i get it.

Quote: Originally posted by Argenta
thanks DarkWarrior!
so you think I should not change the faces anymore?
Test Subject
#10 Old 9th Oct 2013 at 5:52 PM
I like Nerinai very much and would be happy to have her in my game!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 9th Oct 2013 at 8:18 PM
Thanks Olena Dub! I'll upload her as soon as possible )

So since the first house was a bit small for a family, I decided to build a bigger one.
this one:

It's made for a single parent and two kids or teenangers.
So, what do you think?

PS: I hope these are not too many pictures... sorry if it are too many

EDIT: the ground floor floorplan is a bit outdated, sorry for that. I removed the plants next to the stairs and replaced the game with an end-table and a phone...
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#12 Old 9th Oct 2013 at 11:43 PM
I think you will need to find a way of breaking up that huge main area with more walls. You will also need windows and some form of landscaping, even if that is just some terrain paint, path, rocks and cactus.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 31st Oct 2013 at 5:12 PM
Hello again!
joandsarah: Thank you for the feedback. I placed some "meteors" on the lot and made some craters to create a more "moonlike" atmosphere.
But I didn't change the rooms (they aren't really that huge and it would be hard to play if I added more walls) or placed windows, because they could be easily smashed by asteroids . It just didn't look "alien" enough with windows IMO.
I hope you like it better now anyways.
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#14 Old 31st Oct 2013 at 5:23 PM
Yeah, the absence of windows shouldn't be a problem, since it's thematically appropriate.

Love the idea of "landscaping" with meteorites!

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#15 Old 2nd Nov 2013 at 10:22 PM
Thanks Peni Griffin!
I guess I'll try to upload this lot tomorrow.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#16 Old 3rd Jan 2014 at 4:44 PM
Hello!
Happy new year, everybody!

I'd like to show you a new house for the colony. It's for a couple or a single alien.
Please, tell me what you think about it.
Screenshots