2 people viewing
Replies: 25012 (Who?), Viewed: 678037 times.
Page 1001 of 1001
Top Secret Researcher
#25001 Old Today at 12:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewGloria
It's a Dell G3 15 3500 15.6" Gaming Laptop costing £799 from Currys PC World. It has NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 Ti 4 GB graphics. ... It has 8GB RAM and a 512Gb SSD. Its CPU is an Intel® Core™ i5-10300H Processor. Of course it's running Windows 10.

Dell is a reputable brand, but, as my cousin reminded me the other day, you'll probably have to call customer service, at least once. Idk if you can say that about other brands. With some brands, it always works and you never need assistance. Idk what those brands are for PCs, but apparently they exist. I hear good things about Lenovo. Anywho, as someone who has owned several Dells over the years and almost exclusively buys Dell, I can say that an extended warranty is probably a good idea and definitely do your research as they can be overpriced for the specs.

For that specific pick, it seems okay. I'm concerned about the 512 GB SSD, especially since I know you backup frequently. But if you have an external hard drive, that should be okay. Ideally, though, I'd get a TB. Especially if you're going to install other games and/or music--500 GB goes really fast. I'm also a little wary of the 8 GB Ram, but that may be because we're two different kinds of TS2 players. I've got a 22 GB download folder that's steadily growing larger and larger... Last time I checked you had a Download folder less than 2 GB, right? So yeah, definitely 8 GB of Ram should be fine for you, but if you are thinking about changing your habits, possibly adding some EPs (go for FT!) or more cc, I'd see what upgrading to 16 GB would cost you. I know what it feels like to spend hundreds of dollars on a brand new rig only to be filled with regret. *Looks darkly at her slim tower Alienware.* So, just remember to plan for the future, too, and think about what type of computing needs you may have down the line.

As for streaming, Clashfan is right, you can do it through a bunch of services, even YouTube. Also, something to consider is a Roku or Amazon Fire Stick. Idk if tvs are as pervasive where you are (Scotland?) as they are in the US, but if you've already got an old one lying around, or if you can find a good used one, you can get a Roku/Fire Stick for about 25-50 usd and then bam--now your tv can stream. Your tv just needs to have hdmi slots. It's one of the best investments I've made over the years as it's way cheaper than buying a smart tv. And it let me get some more use out of my perfect good, but older, non-smart tvs. It's also something you can get and set up quickly if you want to take more time to research computers. Alternately, you can keep your old laptop and stream on that--I think streaming is more about your processor and internet speed. You may want to try streaming again from your computer and see what it's like. Idk your financial set up, or if you have access to high speed internet, but those are some options to consider. Oh, and remember it's October now--Prime Day is in about 2 weeks, so expect sales for Amazon products then, and for other tech. With computers, brands like Dell usually run promotions for the holidays. You might want to wait a bit and see what coupons you can get and research online to see what are actual good prices for the tech you want. Apps that let you know what the price of items have been in the past are especially helpful because sometimes the best sales are right before the Christmas sales, and the black Friday/holiday sales are actually a bit more expensive. (I'll never forgot working at the GAP. One November we had mark ups right before the black friday sale. All the most expensive items got marked up about 50-100 dollars, so that when the deep discounts on black friday came around, the sale price was basically a regular sale. So yeah, it helps if you've done your research and know what the regular retail price of an item is, so you don't get suckered.)

Oh, and one last tip! If you saved your old computer install discs, you might not need Windows 10. It'll come preinstalled, of course, but if your computer is just going to be a gaming rig, you can roll back your Windows installation with your old install disc. I don't know if people know that, but it's one reason why I saved my old install discs over the years. Especially when you buy through Dell, when you add on Windows 10 or whatever, you're buying a license to Windows. Same with Microsoft Office--don't be fooled into a yearly subscription. Spend the little extra to buy the license and keep your product key handy. Then you own those things and you can put on whatever machine you want. I was able to do this various times over the years and it can save you money--especially with Microsoft Office.

@Fyren5, test it. Open up your hood and see, maybe check SimPE and the Hoodchecker. I've had that happen a couple of times and I can't say there were lots of negative effects, beyond losing that session's play time. I don't play my hoods for long periods of time, but in my experience, the save doesn't go through and you just have your last complete save. But ymmv and the risk is there. No harm in checking though.

BTW, pink flashing is usually a sign of a texture memory problem. You usually need more ram and/or less cc, but a quick fix is often to close the game and restart. The longer the game is on, the more memory the game needs and stuff it has to remember, so turning off your game every couple of hours is a good idea and should prevent, or at least cut down, on the pink flashing.

@Essa, most likely the memory is not repeatable, but it's a very simple fix. You find the memory in the objects.package, clone it, then set the flag to be repeatable. If you've ever added a custom memory to DiLight's Tattered Diary, it's very similar, and you can use that tutorial once you've cloned the memory.

"May the sunlight find you, thy days be long, thy winters kind, thy roots be strong." -Grand Oak Tree, DAO

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
Bored? Read an unfinished legacy or sim story. | Kelyns on other forums
Test Subject
#25002 Old Today at 12:58 AM
The hack compatibility tool shows that BO's no trash memories and simler90's the Memory Mod conflict. The memory mod's comments have people asking about this but no clear answer has been given. Are both of these mods ok to have? Which one should load last?
Forum Resident
#25003 Old Today at 1:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sushigal007
Depends where during the saving the crash occurred. I had an issue in my genderswapped uberhood where the Sims of two subhoods had their memories, relationships and personalities wiped, which I suspect was because of a crash during saving, but I can't be sure because I played households randomly so it took me a while to realise there was an actual pattern to the affected Sims. But it was all stuff that could be fixed. You probably do have some corruption, but that doesn't necessarily mean your game is doomed. You could restore from a recent backup, or you could run Hoodchecker and have a poke around to see if anything looks out of place. Maybe you just have some Sims who've forgotten they're married, or maybe you have a toddler with a job and three children or a lot that flatly refuses to load because an adult there is completely scrambled.

I clicked on save and literally 5 to 20 seconds later, the game crashed. My only recent backup is from the 16th and I can't remember all of the things I've done since then, haha. I'm not the type of Simmer that writes things down, I just play with a whim. It's good to know that maybe I can fix the issues if there are any, though. I've had the odd Sim forget they're married, that was Timothy Riley & Vivian Cho but that was months and months ago. No doubt the hood is corrupt anyway but still. I will run Hoodchecker and see how everything looks tomorrow, right now I'm just having one of those "Darn it, lost my gameplay again!" day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantomknight
test it. Open up your hood and see, maybe check SimPE and the Hoodchecker. I've had that happen a couple of times and I can't say there were lots of negative effects, beyond losing that session's play time. I don't play my hoods for long periods of time, but in my experience, the save doesn't go through and you just have your last complete save. But ymmv and the risk is there. No harm in checking though.

It takes forever to load the hood in SimPE but I'll also do that tomorrow. What am I looking for exactly? Missing character data and stuff I assume? If it is indeed just losing play from that session then I had only lost 4 days which is completely fine. I'm very, very hoping it's going to be fine. This has happened a lot of times in my old Desiderata Valley save which is still going even though it was already corrupted from removing custom foods and geneticized eyes/skins. And it was the original neighborhood, not the clean one from Meetme. I hadn't noticed any difference when the crashes happened with saving then. But then again I used to do the "save & exit" rather than just save first and then exit. I also have GRM, 4GB Patch & Memory Allocation all sorted but I may need to look into GRM again perhaps. I used the old one last year.

Thanks both for the replies!
Scholar
#25004 Old Today at 4:03 AM
If you put the stove that came with Uni on a community lot does the chef still spawn? I want to create a dining hall for my college Sims that has cheap or free food and I'm trying to think of the best way to do this. Perhaps I could make an OFB owned restaurant and have college students work there to make money? I could set the prices on food to be cheap. (I think there's a mod that allows YA to get jobs).
Theorist
#25005 Old Today at 4:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyBoo8
If you put the stove that came with Uni on a community lot does the chef still spawn? I want to create a dining hall for my college Sims that has cheap or free food and I'm trying to think of the best way to do this. Perhaps I could make an OFB owned restaurant and have college students work there to make money? I could set the prices on food to be cheap. (I think there's a mod that allows YA to get jobs).

Use Inge's mod Shiny Tyme NPC Everywhere Patch

as taken from the Simlogical page
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inge
The above file is an override (patch) to the Shiny Tyme dorm cooktop. It means whatever lot type you place this in, it will get an NPC cook working just like they do on dorm lots.
Mad Poster
#25006 Old Today at 5:23 AM Last edited by RoxEllen1965 : Today at 12:30 PM. Reason: clarification
Quote:
Originally Posted by heye46
The hack compatibility tool shows that BO's no trash memories and simler90's the Memory Mod conflict. The memory mod's comments have people asking about this but no clear answer has been given. Are both of these mods ok to have? Which one should load last?

I have an edited version of BO's mod load first and Simler90's load after it (see attached screenshot). So far I haven't noticed any problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyBoo8

The cook will always appear on University lots, both community lots and dorms. There are several community lots in the Maxis universities that have cafeterias set up - usually student lounges or Student Union buildings.

Whether or not the cook appears outside of University (base 'hood, Downtown, shopping district) seems to vary by user. There was a discussion about this last summer after I discovered that the cafeteria cook will appear at the "Shiny Tyme" stove in my game even without Inge's patch. For some players, including myself, the cafeteria cook will appear in an un-modded game no matter what kind of lot the "Shiny Tyme" stove is placed on. Other users posted that the cook would never appear unless Inge's mod was used.

I recommending testing without the mod first to see whether the cook appears (it usually takes about an in-game hour for the cook to arrive on the lot). I would only use Inge's mod if the cook never appears without it.
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#25007 Old Today at 6:18 AM
Peni's Land Grant University includes cafeterias in on-campus community lots, and the uni cook appears at them without Inge's mod. (Well, I never installed it anyway. I'm pretty sure that adding/attaching LGU doesn't add it.)

She's superwoman! She works about 20 hours a day in all the cafeterias on campus at the same time. In my game, with Squinge's Community Lot Skilling mod, she gains Cooking Skill with every batch of food she makes. She's very close to maximising her Cooking Skill.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
Top Secret Researcher
#25008 Old Today at 6:41 AM
I think in the uni subhood, the stove calls a cafeteria worker everywhere. Outside the uni hood, the cafeteria worker spawns on community lots, but not residential lots. At least, that's how it works in my game. I haven't tried lots like hotel lots and owned businesses, though.

"May the sunlight find you, thy days be long, thy winters kind, thy roots be strong." -Grand Oak Tree, DAO

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
Bored? Read an unfinished legacy or sim story. | Kelyns on other forums
Theorist
#25009 Old Today at 11:17 AM
Quote:
@Essa, most likely the memory is not repeatable, but it's a very simple fix. You find the memory in the objects.package, clone it, then set the flag to be repeatable. If you've ever added a custom memory to DiLight's Tattered Diary, it's very similar, and you can use that tutorial once you've cloned the memory.

@Phantomknight
My memory misled me. That said I'm not used to let sims sell paintings from the easel.
Thank for the mini-tutorial, I may try that because I'm intrigued or I'll use Aaroneous' memory manipulator instead because I'm lazy.

@RoxEllen1965
Thank for your clarification about the memory mods load order.
Mad Poster
#25010 Old Today at 12:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewGloria
Peni's Land Grant University includes cafeterias in on-campus community lots, and the uni cook appears at them without Inge's mod. (Well, I never installed it anyway. I'm pretty sure that adding/attaching LGU doesn't add it.)

LGU is a University. The cook will always show up on any dorm or community lot in a University neighborhood if a Shiny Tyme stove has been placed. This is normal function and it should work that way in everybody's game.

Beckyboo8 asked about placing a cook on a University community lot and I mis-read it as asking about lots outside of University. I've edited my previous post to make it a bit clearer.

In answer to Beckyboo8's other question: yes, there is a mod that allows University students to get jobs.
https://modthesims.info/d/606054/jo...ns-mod-set.html
Scholar
#25011 Old Today at 3:32 PM
Thanks for all the info, guys!

For whatever reason, I can't use HoodChecker on my laptop.
The first time I used it a couple months ago it made me reset my whole laptop. I wanted to give it another go today so I backed up everything. This time, the damage wasn't as drastic, but it did add all of the premade hoods to my neighborhood folder (I deleted most of them), changed my screen resolution, and disabled CC. I'm not super worried about not being able to use HoodChecker since I don't do anything crazy bad for my neighborhoods. I am however struggling to get custom content to appear in my game again. My Downloads folder is set to "read only" and I keep trying to set it so it's not. I uncheck the box, it goes through the file and makes it not read only, and then when I go to check the properties of the folder again it's read only. Any suggestions?
My whole Sims 2 folder in Documents is set to read only as well, not sure if it should be or not.
(I didn't want to post in Game Help because I didn't think this was necessary to start a new thread)
Inventor
#25012 Old Today at 4:40 PM
The coding in the ShinyTyme Cooktop for scheduling a lunch lady is a bit bizarre and I can see why some simmers finds it works in community lots and others don't. It won't schedule a lunch lady if the current lot is residential, a frat, owned business or if the current neighbourhood is the primary neighbourhood. So it will schedule a lunch lady at a community lot in a university, downtown, shopping or even a holiday suburb but not in the primary 'hood. I assume that's because when it was originally written only university and primary neighbourhoods existed so stopping it in the primary 'hood meant it would only work in a university neighbourhood.
Instructor
#25013 Old Today at 5:04 PM
Quote:
I think in the uni subhood, the stove calls a cafeteria worker everywhere. Outside the uni hood, the cafeteria worker spawns on community lots, but not residential lots. At least, that's how it works in my game. I haven't tried lots like hotel lots and owned businesses, though.

She spawns on apartment lots in the main hood as well.
Page 1001 of 1001