Replies: 7 (Who?), Viewed: 1179 times.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Oct 2019 at 2:04 PM Last edited by MyScorpion42 : 18th Oct 2019 at 2:36 PM.
Default I adopted an abandoned Sims 2 wikia
From looking around, this seemed to be the most fitting forum for this

A year ago, I adopted The Sims 2 Wiki. It had literally no content, and had probably been abandoned shortly after it's creation many years ago. I took it upon myself to build it up, but after attempting to rigorously document Open For Business, the new objects included and the contents of the game folder and so forth, I burned out and left it alone for a year.

Recently, I have started picking it up again, trying at first to simply documents the parts of the game I found interesting, then to try and document Will Wright for like, one evening. Recently, I have found a kind of meditative peace in writing down all the groups in the original objects.package (through SimPE), and have learned a lot about the game through this approach.

I don't regret the time I've spent doing this, but I've been considering that somebody probably already has done this. It could save me a lot of work if somebody could direct me to thorough lists of the games' GUIDs and Groups. SimsWiki.info seems to have a list of SemiGlobals, but not of all the groups in the game.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 15th Oct 2019 at 2:29 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 15th Oct 2019 at 2:42 PM.
Not sure if you already know, but there's a Sims wiki here: https://sims.fandom.com/wiki/The_Sims_2. They've been up for a while but changed name a while back - there's TS1, TS3 and TS4 content there too, along with the Stories and Medieval games. It's more directed toward game information and an unmodded game, though. Just mentioning it because the name is very similar to the one you've picked, so there could be some confusion.

A site more geared toward modding and the internal works of the game could probably be helpful, though.

I'd almost think the SimPE site would've had information regarding GUIDs used for original items, but I think it's down again. It is possible the Create/Modding section here at MTS has some information, possibly also this site: https://ts2tutorialdatabase.tumblr.com/
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 18th Oct 2019 at 6:23 PM
Many thanks for the love and helpful votes. In addition, since I made the post, I've had the first non-griefing guest editor come by the Grim Reaper page, which I am also thankful for.
The feedback inspired me to revamp the Main Page, and to begin writing up a tutorial on how to document the objects.package groups like I am currently doing, which is now linked to from the main site.
All in all, I am having fun with this, and I plan to continue to do so going forward.
Quote:
Originally Posted by simmer22
Not sure if you already know, but there's a Sims wiki here: https://sims.fandom.com/wiki/The_Sims_2. They've been up for a while but changed name a while back - there's TS1, TS3 and TS4 content there too, along with the Stories and Medieval games. It's more directed toward game information and an unmodded game, though. Just mentioning it because the name is very similar to the one you've picked, so there could be some confusion.

Ah yes, I do enjoy that wiki, and it has been useful a bunch through the years to me, such as teaching me that Store Edition was a thing.
I must admit that my project is partially fueled by petty annoyance at the simple fact that they treat Occults weirdly, calling them "Life states" and dedicating an entire, messy page to "hybrids" of these (Occults have always been my favorite part of Sims). And I honestly likely would have never started the project if somebody hadn't already made a Wiki in the first place, where the title wasn't up to me anyway. Takes a bit of the edge off the initial decision.
Quote:
Originally Posted by simmer22
I'd almost think the SimPE site would've had information regarding GUIDs used for original items, but I think it's down again. It is possible the Create/Modding section here at MTS has some information, possibly also this site: https://ts2tutorialdatabase.tumblr.com/

Looking it up on the Wayback Machine, it doesn't have such a list on it's main page, although it has a list of the GUIDs reserved for modders, which of course would be useful lest it is still available elsewhere. It might have had one on the forums, but these don't seem to work with Wayback unfortunately.
Top Secret Researcher
#4 Old 18th Oct 2019 at 11:44 PM
@MyScorpion42, what kind of stuff are you looking to document? If you could be more specific about what you want it to be, then we can let you know what's already been done or how we can help. You'd want it to have different info from the other wiki, so you don't waste time covering areas already done.

"May the sunlight find you, thy days be long, thy winters kind, thy roots be strong." -Grand Oak Tree, DAO

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
Bored? Read an unfinished legacy or sim story. | aka Kelyns | she/her
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 20th Oct 2019 at 3:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantomknight
@MyScorpion42, what kind of stuff are you looking to document? If you could be more specific about what you want it to be, then we can let you know what's already been done or how we can help. You'd want it to have different info from the other wiki, so you don't waste time covering areas already done.

Thank you for your kind interest in my project; I'll try to answer the best I can below:
Initially, the service provided uniquely by the wiki would be extensive yet accessible documentation on how the objects of The Sims 2 work from a coding standpoint, so one could for instance look up different BHAVs and see analyses of how they function, and a list of GUIDs so they can easily check them if a BHAV refers to one, for instance. At some point I plan to start gathering up tutorials here and there and hosting them on there (if allowed). If I can manage to fill out some of the missing bhav documentation in SimPE that'd be pretty cool too. (On an related note; the Object Creation tool in my SimPE only lists base-game objects, which makes modding some things difficult; I wonder if this is normal)

Ideally, the object documentation would expand into mods, particularly those unique and/or greatly altering the game. Lists of the user-reserved GUIDS from SimPE, the custom wall types and the like would be cool. A concise list of minor issues with the game, and the corresponding fixes hosted on this site, would be a great help to people (and one could theoretically work to compile them into a big "fan patch", if allowed)

Particular documentable examples that spring to mind:
I saw that Numenor bragged about their tanning bed at the time being the only custom object with colored lighting or something of that sort; documentation of rare attributes like that and how to achieve them could be useful. I tried reaching out to Numenor over issues I had with the AnyGameStarter but never got a response; documentation of programs like that would seem pertinent as well. Chris Hatch, while a man of... particular interests, was also a very talented modder; and elaboration on how some of his mods work seems like a pretty good idea.

On the side, the wiki could host articles on noteworthy modders, the history of fansites and the like.
Top Secret Researcher
#6 Old 20th Oct 2019 at 3:53 AM
One thing that might be nice to document on this wiki, when you get to documenting mods, is this list of custom globals created by midgethetree and some other people: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...s9vU/edit#gid=0 It's handy to know which globals have been used, so that you can ensure your mod is compatible with other mods that create new globals.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 21st Oct 2019 at 11:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyScorpion42
Ah yes, I do enjoy that wiki, and it has been useful a bunch through the years to me, such as teaching me that Store Edition was a thing.
I must admit that my project is partially fueled by petty annoyance at the simple fact that they treat Occults weirdly, calling them "Life states" and dedicating an entire, messy page to "hybrids" of these (Occults have always been my favorite part of Sims).

That page, as every other, as a talk page where you can give feedback and propose changes from your input. Click an arrow that's by the right side of "Edit" button, click talk page, Click Talk (x) than edit to add your comment.

From OFB article, I feel like carrying over the template or pictures (which are likely extracted from SimPE, thus don't hold ownership) could be carried to the generals sims wiki, since it's much more currently use and would be convenient to have.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 22nd Oct 2019 at 11:22 PM
Just rounded 500 documented groups in the base objects.package
I will probably redirect my next efforts on that page towards making it more readable, enabling sorting and perhaps making smaller subpages indexed by Group intervals.
Meanwhile, yet another user has contributed to the wiki, and I am simply delighted
Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrellyn
One thing that might be nice to document on this wiki, when you get to documenting mods, is this list of custom globals created by midgethetree and some other people: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...s9vU/edit#gid=0 It's handy to know which globals have been used, so that you can ensure your mod is compatible with other mods that create new globals.

I agree. Looking over the mermaid mod first, I find the amount of separate downloads dizzying and really can't figure out which download hosts the actual globals, though. I guess I should stick to copying the linked list into an article and figure that whole thing out some other time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
That page, as every other, as a talk page where you can give feedback and propose changes from your input. Click an arrow that's by the right side of "Edit" button, click talk page, Click Talk (x) than edit to add your comment.

I don't currently have faith/the self-confidence to trust that my issue would be taken seriously. I will consider it, however.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
From OFB article, I feel like carrying over the template or pictures (which are likely extracted from SimPE, thus don't hold ownership) could be carried to the generals sims wiki, since it's much more currently use and would be convenient to have.

I have no intention of abandoning the Wiki anytime soon, but as you say, the pictures used belong to EA and are just as much fair use on the larger wiki as on mine.

The OFB article doesn't use templates on the object and file lists and is actually rather messy at the moment, however, and would leave a lot of work on the shoulders of the sims.fandom crew if those were transferred in their current state.
Back to top