Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
#101 Old 18th Feb 2012 at 11:11 PM
Well I used gardening because its fits my story and because its something that can be kept up for generations, but not necessarily taking up a lot of time so they have time for other jobs and skill building.

The Love Legacy A Random Legacy Challenge Blog - Currently in Progress
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#102 Old 18th Feb 2012 at 11:15 PM
OK, also can we start a daycare up? seeing as it can be at home?

Starfish Sims | Hyland Legacy
Random Legacy - Gen 1
Scholar
#103 Old 19th Feb 2012 at 12:53 AM
Gardening would actually be a great one to start with, because it's essentially free food, and unlike fishing, doesn't even require a stove or fridge.

Snickerson: a Random Legacy Challenge. There are zebras involved. Zebras.
Lab Assistant
#104 Old 19th Feb 2012 at 1:32 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ReyaD
Wyldhawke: Painting is a skill requirement for the Forensics branch of Law Enforcement.

Ohhh... shows you how often I've gone into forensics.. i.e. .. not yet.
Lab Assistant
#105 Old 19th Feb 2012 at 1:50 AM
double posts, sorry. In my defense, I replied before reading the rest of the topic. I took a small detour from my Challenge - to play around with Lunar Lakes. *blush* .. decided it would be the perfect place to place around with skintones and Futureshock stuff, and started an Alien/Rainbow challenge over there. .. yay.. So I'm up to three challenges. One I'm trying to write the rules for myself - and is WAY harder than I expected.. the new alien one.. and this addicting, fun one. Isn't it funny that starting a challenge /city from absolutely NOTHING works out to be the easiest to play and the most addicting?? I'm loving reading everyone's stories - everyone has such a different "take" on things.

Avalikia - hopefully those stats I got will help. Far as I've been able to figure out, only the "property" prices really fluctuate. The Building ones (the ones with the main careers) seem to all pick up the same price no matter the looks. Since we all seem to be using different worlds and venues, it's going to end up being completely variable. I have the data written down for the Hidden Springs and Riverview lots if you're interested... and as I now have Lunar Lakes, I can get them fairly easily (and might just for my own reference).. and my Barnacle Bay code should be showing up any day now. (growls at the snail mail)
Test Subject
#106 Old 19th Feb 2012 at 4:21 AM
Right now I hate my game! I finally got the Grocery store, but can't get past that because silly me forgets to save! I've lost days of sims progress twice now. The first was a hard freeze, and then today a CTD My game never crashes not even on a super full world so I'm at a loss as to why it's being such a pita right now.

I have two pregnant sims in my house and got past birth the first time, then today I made it to toddler hood and when it crashed I realized I hadn't saved I was just getting to where things were getting somewhere. During searching the galaxy a meteor fell and it was worth over 12K! I'm so not happy right now

Mathews Random Legacy (current Legacy)
Scholar
#107 Old 19th Feb 2012 at 4:30 AM
Have you tried Twallan's saver mod, simbody? It reminds you to save every so often. A lot of legacy players use it to avoid losing progress during glitches. It really is a life saver.

The Love Legacy A Random Legacy Challenge Blog - Currently in Progress
Scholar
#108 Old 19th Feb 2012 at 4:55 AM
Man, I don't know what's up with my savegame but every time I try to play this challenge with the household/hood I was going to use, when I exit out it won't let me back into the savegame because it thinks I uninstalled an expansion pack necessary to play it. So...Plan C, then.

Test Subject
#109 Old 19th Feb 2012 at 6:27 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Zokugai
Man, I don't know what's up with my savegame but every time I try to play this challenge with the household/hood I was going to use, when I exit out it won't let me back into the savegame because it thinks I uninstalled an expansion pack necessary to play it. So...Plan C, then.

This sometimes happens when the world has been named with a character in it such as a comma or period like V.2 Every world I have tried with a . in the name wouldn't let me back in once I saved. You may have to find a different version, or a different world. If the name issue isn't the case, then I'm not at all sure why it would corrupt. RuthlessK's first world Victorian Island (or Bay) V.2 would do this also Regina's Build Town V.2 before she renamed it. I thought there was a work around for it, but honestly its been so long ago I doubt I could find that information anymore. I don't know if it was added to the FAQ on the CAW forum or not.

I have to move my family to a new world as well. There is something that happens the day after everyone's birthday that causes it to crash. I've been through it like 5 times and it happens on the same day at about the same time. So much for the pictures I took I guess I will have to do an alternate save for some pictures, and hope some of my others will work without looking obviously out of place/time/space

So now to take away from my time and create a world I can use that is up to date with my game I know Hosrehead Island was built without pets, so it could be routing fails, though I wouldn't expect that to cause a CTD just a freeze.

Lab Assistant
#110 Old 19th Feb 2012 at 7:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by sophieridley

My take on this would be... not until there's enough actual kids in the neighborhood that would support it. Logically.. why would kids from whatever "world" your character moved from be shipped ALL the way to your island for daycare? .. Seems silly. But that's just me.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#111 Old 19th Feb 2012 at 7:29 AM
Would gardening not really be recommended as a first gen type of thing then and thanks for the tips!
Might try get the book store because would sure help get thoose stats up!

Gardening makes for a good side-hobby for one of your Sims, as long as you keep its size manageable - the more time your Sim spends making money, the better, but the free food is nice and the grocery store is a cheap community lot to earn if you want it quickly. But yes, the bookstore seems to be an extremely good one to get early because of the skilling books, especially if you want someone to earn something that needs max Cooking - do you know how much food a Sim needs to cook if they learn it without the books?

I don't have Generations yet (I really, really need to fix that), but as far as I know the Daycare is like the Ambitions self-employed careers in that the game actually won't let you have one until you have a Town Hall so your Sim can sign up for it there - I'm sure someone with that expansion will correct me if I'm wrong.

Quote: Originally posted by Wyldhawke
Avalikia - hopefully those stats I got will help. Far as I've been able to figure out, only the "property" prices really fluctuate. The Building ones (the ones with the main careers) seem to all pick up the same price no matter the looks. Since we all seem to be using different worlds and venues, it's going to end up being completely variable. I have the data written down for the Hidden Springs and Riverview lots if you're interested... and as I now have Lunar Lakes, I can get them fairly easily (and might just for my own reference).. and my Barnacle Bay code should be showing up any day now. (growls at the snail mail)

Yes it does help! I'm going to have to wait for a free moment to add that info into my starting post though - I've got myself doing a few too many things right now. And yes, the prices on "properties" fluctuate while "buildings" all remain the same - the reason being that the rabbithole buildings are actually free to place and what you're paying is a fixed price for them while the "properties" are all the value of what's actually on the lot. And since the price for the "buildings" is always the same, that's the only info I'm adding to my list. So no, the info from those other neighborhoods wouldn't really help because of that (and I actually have Riverview myself).

Simbody - I'm going to have to second ReyaD and suggest getting something that either autosaves or reminds you to save. I use the AwesomeMod's autosave feature, and I set up so that it automatically saves a backup of the world I'm playing every half hour. My game's normally stable, but it's really saved me a lot of grief when my game does crash - at worst I lose a half hour's worth of gameplay when it happens (and actually my luck is usually such that it decides to crash only a couple of minutes after an autosave).
Test Subject
#112 Old 19th Feb 2012 at 8:18 AM
I'm adding in the saver mod so thanks for the recommend on that. I will still create a new world just in case, but I'll try to work past this. I think it's the death of an invisible unknown sim. I get a notice that the reaper is closing in and the kids will go to a social worker if something isn't done. Then the next day or two I get notice that they die and then the game crashes.

I got farther with remembering to save, so I didn't loose as much the last time but if the problems are showing up 5 sim weeks into play then I don't expect it to last long enough to complete the challenge.

Lab Assistant
#113 Old 19th Feb 2012 at 9:55 AM Last edited by Klevkin : 19th Feb 2012 at 12:40 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Zerhai
I will get back to you how how you could possibly earn a sim..... another thought what about the sims that come out of the time machine...... what would u do with them *personally I find them very fun and the YA's and the elders can be moved out immediately....
btw the only sims i see come out of the story progression is sims that look like the default sims (and i have quite a few sims saved in my simbin) they don't use any of my alternate skintones(of which I have alot and i have alot of sims using those skin tones) I also have alot of sims in my simbin with pointed ears and never have I seen a pointed eared sim come out of there......

You are allowed to let any sim that the game generates for you to move in. But seriously, I do not get what you are making a fuzz about, Avalikia said cleary in the rule that you are allowed to only create one CAS sim to begin with, which makes it quite obvious it is part of the challenge here to start out with only one sim. A few of us have mentioned that adjusting the rules to your own liking is okay, as long as you don't claim to follow the rules by heart. But it is just not part of the challenge to "earn" more sims, it sounds like your buying people to me....

As for the simbin, perhaps thats due to my use of Twallans...

@simbody! Save mod is my holy grail! It saved me from unrepairable damage loads of times!

EDIT: there was a discussion on the heritage reward, I'm not sure, but I believe it is possible to get it more then once, gonna test it out though probably not very soon. Perhaps someone else who's already used it can test it? And the thought popped up, for those who use AM. I have used it as well, and it allowed me to fulfill wishes that were not locked. If so, it makes it a lot easier to earn the points to this reward. (actually, I'm kind of missing that feature of AM, but my game can't handle the mod). Just as a side note for those allowed mods bit.

EDIT2: Hmm, so everybody explained to me how to get those buildings...but I'm ready to get my consignment store. Thing is, I don't seem to be able to buy the lot? Calling real estate is not giving me any options. So is it EDIT TOWN, place the thing and then buy through real estate? Or check the price for the lot and subtract the value from my family funds. Sometimes I wonder how I have been playing this game for over a decade and still not know a lot about this game....
Alchemist
#114 Old 19th Feb 2012 at 1:28 PM
Twallan's story progression uses Sims in the bin to create new immigrants, but service NPCs and role Sims like cashiers and bartenders still have the vanilla face. For anyone who likes variety in their Sim's faces, this would be a major problem, because the only Sims you will be adding to this neighborhood are service NPCs and role Sims. Zerhai, I would suggest editing your NPCs in CAS so they have different faces if earning CAS Sims is ruled out. That would be a huge issue for me, too, if I were to play this challenge.

Avalikia, I have a question about the Ambitions lots, and parks and graveyards. They all have minimum requirements to be considered viable by the game. Technically you could put one counter and a consignment store register on the lawn to make a functioning consignment shop, but the game won't consider it 'open' until it has a minimum value of items on the property. Even though the game will call your shop 'closed' until you buy enough stuff to meet the minimum requirement, it will still function, and Sims will still visit. Your Sim would just be unable to collect profits from it. So, should the minimum requirement have to be met when purchasing and Ambitions lot or a park?
Lab Assistant
#115 Old 19th Feb 2012 at 1:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by calisims
Twallan's story progression uses Sims in the bin to create new immigrants, but service NPCs and role Sims like cashiers and bartenders still have the vanilla face. For anyone who likes variety in their Sim's faces, this would be a major problem, because the only Sims you will be adding to this neighborhood are service NPCs and role Sims. Zerhai, I would suggest editing your NPCs in CAS so they have different faces if earning CAS Sims is ruled out. That would be a huge issue for me, too, if I were to play this challenge.

That is what I did with Maddie as well, i don't consider it actually cheating, because well, you still have to find these people as much as when you have to get those vanilla people. So the challenge remains the same imo.
Thanks for the addition though melissa, I always thought it would stretch out to the NPC's as well. My bad.
Not sure what Avalikia thinks about adding this possibility as an exception. Technically, you aren't creating or adding any sims to the game. You just replace them with genetics that are more divers.
Alchemist
#116 Old 19th Feb 2012 at 1:41 PM
Her rules say you can edit the way Sims look, just not their traits or skills and such.
Lab Assistant
#117 Old 19th Feb 2012 at 2:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Klevkin
EDIT2: Hmm, so everybody explained to me how to get those buildings...but I'm ready to get my consignment store. Thing is, I don't seem to be able to buy the lot? Calling real estate is not giving me any options. So is it EDIT TOWN, place the thing and then buy through real estate? Or check the price for the lot and subtract the value from my family funds. Sometimes I wonder how I have been playing this game for over a decade and still not know a lot about this game....

Right, so i experimented a bit on this real estate bit, and what I did was put the lot type on consignment store and then it did show up on the "real estate" list. For a 28K so, was not nearly as ready as I thought i'd be.
Scholar
#118 Old 19th Feb 2012 at 3:39 PM
I would have considered CASing NPC sims under the "cosmetic mods" category, which would make it allowed. There's no real tactical advantage to having pretty babies.

Quote: Originally posted by calisims
Avalikia, I have a question about the Ambitions lots, and parks and graveyards. They all have minimum requirements to be considered viable by the game. Technically you could put one counter and a consignment store register on the lawn to make a functioning consignment shop, but the game won't consider it 'open' until it has a minimum value of items on the property. Even though the game will call your shop 'closed' until you buy enough stuff to meet the minimum requirement, it will still function, and Sims will still visit. Your Sim would just be unable to collect profits from it. So, should the minimum requirement have to be met when purchasing and Ambitions lot or a park?

I think so. I mean, it's a real basic requirement -- I think for parks it's like, a picnic bench and a toilet -- so that would be a bit like needing to make a house functional before you could move into it.

Lab Assistant
#119 Old 19th Feb 2012 at 4:34 PM
Is there somewhere you can find those minimum game requirements for it to count as those lots? I kind of gotten attached to the idea of building everything myself....even the rabbitholes...I know there's a way to do that as well.....
Field Researcher
#120 Old 19th Feb 2012 at 4:37 PM
I already have mastercontroller on my game for resetting and other purposes that make it very useful, I heard story progression can slow u down considerably which is why it is not on my comp yet, still debating it..... the reason that I was debating this issue of the cas sims, is that when everything starts to get really plain is exactly why I start to lose interest in challenges, a bit of variety makes me stay more interested, that is all, and on 'earning a new sim' how about a certain number of skills mastered, or a certain amount of lots acquired, or both, not trying to make it easy.
Scholar
#121 Old 19th Feb 2012 at 4:39 PM
The game itself will tell you, but for the most part I think it's only like $2000 more than the base price of the lot. You can upgrade them further for more profits, of course, but it's really just a matter of making sure your bathrooms have toilets in them.

http://www.carls-sims-3-guide.com/c...teandvenues.php
If you scroll down, Sunset Valley is listed in detail. The other hoods follow a similar line.

For instance, here's the waterfall. The lot value listed is the total value the lot has to be worth, not what you have to put in.

Stoney Falls (Starts Level 0)
Level 1 ($1,000): Gain a lot value of 10,000 Total.
Level 2 ($1,850): Lot Value of $15,000 or more and +1 Picnic Table
Level 3 ($3,650): Lot Value of $23,000 or more with +1 Picnic Table, Toilet and Sink

Level 1 would be the minimum we're referring to. In parenthesis is I believe what the lot will pay out per collection. As you can see, it goes up drastically with upgrades to the lot.

Lab Assistant
#122 Old 19th Feb 2012 at 5:18 PM Last edited by Klevkin : 19th Feb 2012 at 5:30 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Zerhai
I already have mastercontroller on my game for resetting and other purposes that make it very useful, I heard story progression can slow u down considerably which is why it is not on my comp yet, still debating it..... the reason that I was debating this issue of the cas sims, is that when everything starts to get really plain is exactly why I start to lose interest in challenges, a bit of variety makes me stay more interested, that is all, and on 'earning a new sim' how about a certain number of skills mastered, or a certain amount of lots acquired, or both, not trying to make it easy.

If you already have master controller, then you can already replace the npc"s. You don't need sp to do that. I understand the not wanting stuff to get plain
What you can do is, rightclick the npc that popped up, click nraas, then master controller. In the pop up go to advanced and then edit in cas. You can alter them however you want there. Our you could replace them with one of your saved Sims. If you do the last but want to stick to the rules, make sure to write down the original traits of that npc, cause replacing it does also replace the traits and ltw.
That way you could get your diversity without having to earn Sims

Honestly I'm on mobile again sorry if strange words pop up!

Edit: thanks zoku, it makes sense now!
Test Subject
#123 Old 19th Feb 2012 at 8:35 PM
Well my first world is official screwed up. Now I get 3 seconds in live mode before it stutters and crashes. I've opened if 5 times in a row and no go. So I will be moving my current family to a new blank world and trying again.

This means I loose all progress towards Charisma, my sim was at level 8 I had her learning other skills as well so I can find an alternative lot for her to unlock, but I really want the City Hall as soon as possible. My sims want real jobs

I have a question that I didn't see in the rules. Boarding school for kids. I know there isn't a school until it is unlocked, but what about sending the kids off to a boarding school. I ask because my parents are getting wishes to send the kids off to boarding school.

Mad Poster
#124 Old 19th Feb 2012 at 8:42 PM
Simbody842 - oh that sucks! It's so annoying when the game's playing up :-( Last I heard from Avalikia boarding schools were ok, because there are both upsides and downsides to sending your children to them.
Test Subject
#125 Old 19th Feb 2012 at 9:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lauratje86
Simbody842 - oh that sucks! It's so annoying when the game's playing up :-( Last I heard from Avalikia boarding schools were ok, because there are both upsides and downsides to sending your children to them.

Thanks, right now I have a full house and they are driving me crazy 5 sims is about all I can handle at a time and I have 8 plus 2 horses, not to mention every kids has an IF

As soon as Christina unlocks her lot I plan on splitting the household.

Brandon (Supermarket)
Cristina (level 9 riding, Equestrian Center)
Nelson (level 9 Gardening, Level 9 Handiness, Level 7 Fishing Science Lab)
Noel (level 8 Painting, level 8 Charisma Art Gallery)
Rider child(son of Brandon and Cristina, level 6 logic, level 2 inventing, level 2 fishing)
Gavin child(son of Noel and Nelson, Level 2 logic)
Gabriella toddler (daughter of Noel and Nelson)
Hunter toddler (son of Brandon and Cristina)
4 IF's I know that if I can make them real it will help with unlocking lots, but honestly every kid! It's a bit much right off the bat so they are staying in inventory until I split the households. The up side is I need the IF girls since there is only one born in game so far.

Page 5 of 39