Replies: 10289 (Who?), Viewed: 419635 times.
Page 394 of 412
Mad Poster
#9826 Old 20th Jul 2020 at 9:18 PM
In general play I do what I think the sim would do. And if the sim would never put themselves into a situation where that would come up, then I hit ignore. Because lets face it, some of the chance cards require that the sim did something they wouldn't have done at work, or at all, by the dialog that comes up.

But I'm playing an Apocalypse right now, so I look those suckers up.

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Alchemist
#9827 Old 21st Jul 2020 at 6:41 PM
For those of you who play supernaturals - how do you explain the fear of being a witch in your games? I could see why Sims wouldn't want to be any of the other supernaturals, but there are no drawbacks to being witches, arguably besides turning green or splotchy-gold if you progress too far in one magical direction. I want to have an explanation for my neighborhood without having to veer into Sim-racism or prejudice.
Mad Poster
#9828 Old 21st Jul 2020 at 7:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by omglo
For those of you who play supernaturals - how do you explain the fear of being a witch in your games? I could see why Sims wouldn't want to be any of the other supernaturals, but there are no drawbacks to being witches, arguably besides turning green or splotchy-gold if you progress too far in one magical direction. I want to have an explanation for my neighborhood without having to veer into Sim-racism or prejudice.

Not sure if this would still swing too close to prejudice for what you want, but if you want to avoid out-and-out racism against supernaturals (a la the X-Men), you could always have it be a religious phobia... think about how a particularly devout member of an Abrahamic religion would be afraid of developing supernatural abilities, if they thought abilities like that were inherently bad or against the wishes of the Divine.

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Alchemist
#9829 Old 21st Jul 2020 at 8:19 PM
That's a good idea. I've incorporated the Jacoban and Peteran religion from Sims Medieval into my gameplay, and I could have one of those sects feel like Magic goes against the Watcher's will.
Lab Assistant
#9830 Old 22nd Jul 2020 at 12:12 AM
It seems to be pretty rare for dormies to attack the cow mascot even after being attacked themselves. Such a shame. I find the chaos hilarious, aside from the sprinkler pranks.
Field Researcher
#9831 Old 22nd Jul 2020 at 12:35 AM
Quote:

They could also just be afraid of something they haven't experienced before like being afraid of moving to another city, or to have a family because you can never tell beforehand how things turn out.
Top Secret Researcher
#9832 Old 22nd Jul 2020 at 1:15 AM
Quote:

They know how under-developed the Witches are in Sims 2 when compared to TS1 or even 3, and are afraid about how disappointed they'd be with the lack of features and selection of spells

Taking an extended break from Sims stuff. Might be around, might not.
Test Subject
#9833 Old 22nd Jul 2020 at 1:41 AM
Quote:
For those of you who play supernaturals - how do you explain the fear of being a witch in your games?

I tend to channel a little bit of the Dursleys, and figure that they are just very concerned with being 'normal'. Especially if they're the kind of sim who rolls aspirational wants like getting their kids into private school.
#9834 Old 22nd Jul 2020 at 3:59 AM
There's a reason the "broom closet" exists in real life. People dislike witchcraft for all sorts of reasons, of varying levels of seriousness.

I've got one or two things on MTS, but most of my stuff is on my main site here:
http://simcessories.blogspot.com/
(Now recruiting budding creators.)
Mad Poster
#9835 Old 22nd Jul 2020 at 5:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverwinter_Knight77
It seems to be pretty rare for dormies to attack the cow mascot even after being attacked themselves. Such a shame. I find the chaos hilarious, aside from the sprinkler pranks.

I just move all sprinkles directly over stove or microwave, so cow cannot reach them. Attacking cow mascot is pretty useless, it is better wait for cheerleader or llama mascot, cow attacks them anyway, free show.
Alchemist
#9836 Old 22nd Jul 2020 at 3:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeTownChick
There's a reason the "broom closet" exists in real life. People dislike witchcraft for all sorts of reasons, of varying levels of seriousness.

Yeah, but like I said, I wanted reasons that fit the Sim world and Sim witches. Thanks to those of you who gave me some ideas to incorporate.
Mad Poster
#9837 Old 24th Jul 2020 at 5:17 AM
Quote:

I thought I'd replied to this.

What are the Sims 2 witches capable of? They can compel a sim to become romantically involved with them, they can compel a sim to become a witch, they can make a sim forget their loved ones, they can start fires, cause lightening and roaches, summon a sim to them that was busy doing something else on some other lot, and even create zombies.

I can see exactly why a sim wouldn't want to become a witch, or would want those they care about to be cured of being a witch. They don't want to have that sort of power over others, they don't want others to have that sort of power over them. They're afraid of fire, lightening, roaches, they don't like the idea of being frozen in time while the witch does whatever the witch wants to do to them . . .

I find many of the spells to be between creepy and downright evil, as you can probably tell.

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Instructor
#9838 Old 24th Jul 2020 at 6:51 AM
I've been wanting to update career outfits for ages (that frumpy Summer Camp Music Teacher outfit makes me cringe every time). I've started with a custom career, and it's actually going well-ish, but the process is so tedious. I had planned to do this for a bunch of careers, but maybe I should start with a more tolerable goal, like one a month.
Alchemist
#9839 Old 24th Jul 2020 at 3:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbee
I thought I'd replied to this.

What are the Sims 2 witches capable of? They can compel a sim to become romantically involved with them, they can compel a sim to become a witch, they can make a sim forget their loved ones, they can start fires, cause lightening and roaches, summon a sim to them that was busy doing something else on some other lot, and even create zombies.

I can see exactly why a sim wouldn't want to become a witch, or would want those they care about to be cured of being a witch. They don't want to have that sort of power over others, they don't want others to have that sort of power over them. They're afraid of fire, lightening, roaches, they don't like the idea of being frozen in time while the witch does whatever the witch wants to do to them . . .

I find many of the spells to be between creepy and downright evil, as you can probably tell.

With the exception of turning a Sim into a witch, and teleport, that's a list of evil witch spells, so I suppose it's fitting that you find them creepy. Thanks for sharing your views on them.

On a related topic, I don't think the evil witches are evil enough.
Lab Assistant
DELETED POST
24th Jul 2020 at 4:19 PM
This message has been deleted by candyboot.
Mad Poster
#9840 Old 24th Jul 2020 at 7:13 PM
Yeah, the spells to boost motives and put out fires are clearly great things to have. Magic is like any other skill - it's how you use it that matters.
I've hardly played with witches (all the labor-intensive stuff takes a back seat for me) so I barely know what's possible.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Scholar
#9841 Old 25th Jul 2020 at 1:57 PM
With custom spells like those from Pandora sims, witches are even more powerful! And evil witches can actually be evil. :P

I have a whole neighborhood full of witches. But there they are gods, angels or elves.

Omnia - Fantasy / Mythological / Medieval Hood
Ephemera MoreColorful - SimpleSkin Recolors
Scholar
#9842 Old 25th Jul 2020 at 8:20 PM
I've not seen any witches in my BACC yet because the town is too new for that though I've had them in my older games before.My sims would only fear becoming an evil witch because most would be creeped out by some of the evil spells.Most wouldn't mind being a good witch though because the good spells are useful.
Mad Poster
#9843 Old 28th Jul 2020 at 5:18 AM
I'm giving up on apartments. Just sick of the stupid controller errors if you so much as sneeze on the keyboard.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Usually hanging out in Sim Crafters these days. | Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives | Welcome to Oakbrook.
Field Researcher
#9844 Old 28th Jul 2020 at 4:16 PM
I got tired of randomly buying new outfits for my Sims when they got the want to buy clothes or grew up into a bad outfit, so I've decided to color-code their wardrobes according to aspiration and make it easier for me to remember what they are.

Popularity = pink and/or purple
Fortune = green and/or gray
Pleasure = orange and/or brown
Romance = red and/or black
Knowledge = blue and/or tan
Family = yellow and/or white

I may color-code their cars too.
Scholar
#9845 Old 28th Jul 2020 at 5:07 PM
@Bulbizarre -I was about ti give up on apartments for a totally different reason because I got sick of NPC neighbors getting into brawls and fights with each other or with the landlord.I ended up using a global hack that stopped the random NPC neighbors from being moved in leaving the other units empty unless I move my own sims in.I'd look for a hack or Mod or unoffial patch to fix those issues if they keep happening.I've never had that happen and it might even be happening if you have the BPTCE cheat code enabled in normal gameplay.I looked at safer alternatives to using that code because it can cause may errors like that.
Mad Poster
#9846 Old 28th Jul 2020 at 5:15 PM
It doesn't cause the errors, it just alerts the player to them. Errors that don't immediately affect gameplay happen a lot in the background. Playing with the testingcheats on is perfectly safe as long as you don't go doing stupid things with it, and many people prefer to play with it on all the time. Apartments were coded late in the process and didn't get the benefit of a lot of patching, and they're complicated, so playing with them on in apartments can get old very quickly.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#9847 Old 28th Jul 2020 at 8:33 PM
I described my own problems here: https://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=642955

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Usually hanging out in Sim Crafters these days. | Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives | Welcome to Oakbrook.
Mad Poster
#9848 Old 28th Jul 2020 at 9:00 PM
I am sick of those "stolen from kids" Maxis pajamas what game picks up continiously for all sims when they grow up. There are a lot of nicer Maxis pajamas but game refuses to pick them. And when sim gets pregnant she just changes color of the same pajama. Why, just why? I hate these so much. I tried to find default replacement but they resemble the same mesh or are same ugly. And it goes for all ages and both genders.
Field Researcher
#9849 Old 29th Jul 2020 at 12:01 AM Last edited by sturlington : 29th Jul 2020 at 1:29 AM.
@Annaminna Nervous and Pascal randomly got matching pjs as both adults and elders. I thought it was cute. ETA I find it interesting what other simmers find annoying.

For example, I am sick of the barrette hairstyle that so many girls get by default (the "Angela/Lilith"). Teens who get that hairstyle in my game have to change their hair, and they run the risk of getting a bad hat in exchange. I allow it once a generation. (I know I can download something to replace it but I try to limit the custom content in my game because I never know what will tip it over into continuously crashing. That's why I couldn't mod out those annoying and constant pillow fights.)
Scholar
#9850 Old 29th Jul 2020 at 7:01 AM
@Bulbizarre -It seems like the controller errors can happen if a town is getting corrupted or if you're using the EA designed apartment lots which I've long since given up on as I only tried using one just after Apartment Life was released and I'd gotten a copy.I shorty after that one attempt switched to building my own custon apartment lots and only ever play with my own apartment builds.I'd advise you to start bulding your own apartment lots and use only your apartment builds.I can show some pictures of mine and even upload a few bulds without just career rewards and no CC at all.I've almost lost count of the number of apartment lots I built for TS2.
I have a rule of switching my sim's clothing if they aged up into awful outfit choices.
Page 394 of 412