Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
#876 Old 24th Feb 2020 at 4:36 PM
I have two sims, Cliff Notes and Hugh Knowe. They were housemates at Uni, and are BFFs, but never anything more. They both married their first girlfriends (both of whom they met at Uni), and, fifteen or so years down the line, both have happy marriages and three kids apiece.

Recently, they were at a mutual friend's party, and I realised I hadn't seen them for a while, so I went looking for them. I found them cuddling under clouds in the middle of the road, and when they stood up they fell in love. I've got no idea who initiated, or what happened to lead up to it.

When I played Cliff's house, he had a want to talk to Hugh, and one to dance with him, so after his wife and kids were out of the house he invited him over. They danced and kissed a bit, then had some food and talked, but it was clear from their speech bubbles that they were basically talking about nothing.

So, where do we go from here?

♫Cuz I don't have a home in this life, I have to roam. Got nowhere to lay my head, so I'll follow you instead, and set my gaze on the place I'm going to. Til then I'm homeless, but I'll roam with you...♫

My Simblr: http://natteryaktoad.tumblr.com
Advertisement
Alchemist
#877 Old 25th Feb 2020 at 12:10 AM
Hmm, have you seen Grace and Frankie? Otherwise, I'd ask what do your sims seem to want? Are they rolling wants to spend more and more time together--maybe that's a sign they want to break up with their wives. If not, maybe they're okay with an affair right now. What are their fears? Are they afraid of breaking up the family? Is one of them still rolling wants to be with their wife--so maybe he's wishing he can have the best of both worlds?

Anyway, nothing has to be decided right away, does it? They could always take their time, sneak around, maybe take a vacation or two (they could tell their wives it's a just dudes fishing trip, or something similar) before they make a final decision.

"May the sunlight find you, thy days be long, thy winters kind, thy roots be strong." -Grand Oak Tree, DAO

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
Bored? Read an unfinished legacy or sim story. | aka Kelyns | she/her
Mad Poster
#878 Old 26th Feb 2020 at 9:28 AM
I had a long conversation with the gay Sim I know best, but for once Andrew is stumped.

"I really don't know what to say," he says. "My natural inclination is to encourage a gay couple to get together. But I'm not so happy at the idea of breaking up a happy marriage -- far less two happy marriages.

"I'm planning on marrying Julian later this year, and I intend to take my marriage vows seriously. I just can't imagine myself ever cheating on Julian. I'd never want to do anything that might hurt him. And, in this case there are children involved. My mum has always been very careful in her relationships never to do anything that might hurt me. Remember I'm still a teenager, and it's hard to know how I'll feel in 20 years time or so."

Andrew is still very much full of the idealism of youth. Another, somewhat older and slightly less idealistic friend is Daniel Pleasant from Pleasantview. You may know him. Daniel doesn't think that cheating on a spouse is a big deal, provided you keep your other relationships hidden from them. "Provided you don't let your spouse know about your girlfriends and boyfriends you should be able to keep them all happy. As for kids, they're pretty resilient. They'll cope with it, no matter how you treat them."

From when I met them at LGU, I recall that Cliff and Hugh were both rather nerdy. Perhaps they could start a nerdy business together -- making robots or something. That would allow them to meet up there when the business was closed to customers, and carry on a relationship without the knowledge of their wives. Though I suppose their wives might start wondering why they're always working late.

For those of you unfamiliar with LGU, Hugh Knowe is the brother of Ida Juana Knowe of Printer Sisters fame.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Mad Poster
#879 Old 27th Feb 2020 at 10:12 PM
Cliff and Hugh are both knowledge sims. I've played them a fair bit in different incarnations.

I'd think they'd sit down and talk about it with their wives (if one wife is Sara Bellum, she probably wouldn't even be surprised), even though everyone would be horribly uncomfortable. What mods do you have? Can they work out some sort of ongoing relationship thing everyone knows about and is okay with, or is raw game mechanics the only option here?

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Field Researcher
#880 Old 28th Feb 2020 at 5:13 PM Last edited by NatteryakToad : 28th Feb 2020 at 5:26 PM. Reason: moar quotes!!
Quote: Originally posted by Phantomknight
What do your sims seem to want? Are they rolling wants to spend more and more time together--maybe that's a sign they want to break up with their wives. If not, maybe they're okay with an affair right now. What are their fears? Are they afraid of breaking up the family? Is one of them still rolling wants to be with their wife--so maybe he's wishing he can have the best of both worlds?

Anyway, nothing has to be decided right away, does it? They could always take their time, sneak around, maybe take a vacation or two (they could tell their wives it's a just dudes fishing trip, or something similar) before they make a final decision.

They seem to be wanting the best of both worlds - they are still wanting to spend lots of time with their wives and children, but when I played Cliff he had a steady stream of wants for Hugh, which rolled over into new ones when they were fulfilled, but never got past flirt/dance - ie no wants to kiss or woohoo.

Quote: Originally posted by AndrewGloria
I had a long conversation with the gay Sim I know best, but for once Andrew is stumped.

"I really don't know what to say," he says. "My natural inclination is to encourage a gay couple to get together. But I'm not so happy at the idea of breaking up a happy marriage -- far less two happy marriages.

That's the thing - I really don't think either of them will want to hurt anyone. So if the choice is between breaking up their marriages or not persuing this relationship, I think they'd have to choose not persuing this relationship. But that's quite a boring choice, storywise.

Quote: Originally posted by Sunbee
Cliff and Hugh are both knowledge sims. I've played them a fair bit in different incarnations.

I'd think they'd sit down and talk about it with their wives (if one wife is Sara Bellum, she probably wouldn't even be surprised), even though everyone would be horribly uncomfortable. What mods do you have? Can they work out some sort of ongoing relationship thing everyone knows about and is okay with, or is raw game mechanics the only option here?

Nope, one wife is not Sara Bellum - she was the mutual friend who's party they were at when this all happened. She and Cliff had mutual crushes for a while in college, but nothing ever came of it. Hugh's wife is Daisy Wheels and Cliff's is ex-LGU dormie Maddy Moiselle. I think talking to their wives and working out some sort of ongoing relationship thing every knows about and is okay with is probably the most realistic + interesting. I have an anti-jealousy mod which works if all sims involved are in a relationship with each other, but I'm very willing to look for something which would work in this situation if that's where it seems this thing is going.

♫Cuz I don't have a home in this life, I have to roam. Got nowhere to lay my head, so I'll follow you instead, and set my gaze on the place I'm going to. Til then I'm homeless, but I'll roam with you...♫

My Simblr: http://natteryaktoad.tumblr.com
Lab Assistant
#881 Old 16th Mar 2020 at 1:04 PM
In Pitstop Valley Ada managed to successfully kill off Caden but not with difficulties since Christy Toyonaga was walking by at the time and heard it. She could kill Christy but Christy has plenty that would notice her disappearance mostly her girlfriend Eva Player. What should Ava do?
Forum Resident
#882 Old 16th Mar 2020 at 1:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Shadow214
In Pitstop Valley Ada managed to successfully kill off Caden but not with difficulties since Christy Toyonaga was walking by at the time and heard it. She could kill Christy but Christy has plenty that would notice her disappearance mostly her girlfriend Eva Player. What should Ava do?

How rich is Ava? Could she maybe bribe or threaten Christy not to say anything? Or perhaps, being morbid, she could murder Christy anyway and stage it to look like an accident or self-inflicted.

You can call me Diddy (or Eve, if you want to go by my real name) :)
My Simblr is simping-simmer. Come and join me there for a chat!
You can also find me on the MTS or PBK Discord servers under the name 'Evenfall'.
Want to know the latest news in Carregffynon? Click here!
Mad Poster
#883 Old 16th Mar 2020 at 3:01 PM
I think Ada should go to the local police station and hand herself in.

But you'd probably expect me to say something like that. And I fear Ada won't agree with my suggestion.

Or she might go to the local church and confess to the priest. The priest of course will be bound by the privacy of the Confessional and isn't allowed to tell the police -- or to tell anyone else for that matter. But, knowing Sims' predilection to gossip, I wouldn't be all that confident of her crime staying secret.

I'm afraid I don't think I'm the one to give her advice on how to get away with murder.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Alchemist
#884 Old 17th Mar 2020 at 2:18 AM
Hmm, what's Christy going to do? Is she sure of what she heard? Would she definitely report it? Otherwise, there's plenty of non-lethal ways to get rid of a witness. Christy could have an "accident" and get too scared or perhaps develops amnesia (can magic be used?) or even goes into a coma. And there's good ol' fashioned blackmail. Maybe Ada takes something or someone dear to Christy. Or maybe Christy doesn't even realize it at the time, but through various schemes ends up indebted (by losing a lot of money or doing something wrong herself, perhaps asked a favor of the wrong person, etc.) to Ada and is forced to keep the secret.

Or maybe, Christy does tell but it doesn't go anywhere because Ada's got the police and the law in her back pocket. There isn't enough evidence or Christy's character gets defamed and she turns out to be not creditable.

"May the sunlight find you, thy days be long, thy winters kind, thy roots be strong." -Grand Oak Tree, DAO

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
Forum Resident
#885 Old 17th Mar 2020 at 4:57 PM
I played out the usual scenario at the Pleasants: Mary-Sue came home from work to catch Daniel cheating, she had a breakdown, they had a massive arguement. I didn't have them break up because I thought it would hurt Mary-Sue's political reputation, and also because their family seems to really just be all about keeping up appearences, what with them being angry at Lilith for having a rebellious phase and not getting in line. Well, anyway, they didn't split up, but they did start sleeping in seperate rooms, with Daniel continuing to have his affairs and all, and at one point, Mary-Sue just started to not even get jealous when she saw Daniel cheating. Because of this, I had Don have an affair with Mary-Sue (among literally every straight woman in Pleasantview), and got her pregnant with Don's baby. All seemed simple.

Until today Mary-Sue and Daniel somehow became best friends again and she got her baby bump. I have no idea what to make of this. They haven't been together since forever, so the baby can't possibly be Daniel's, but I also don't know if they would start an inner fight because of the baby either.

Do you guys think this would cause tension between them? Or do you think they'd accept that they had "a rough patch" and continue on as if nothing had happened and raise the baby together? (Also if this makes any difference they're quite close to aging up.)
Forum Resident
#886 Old 21st Mar 2020 at 11:42 AM
Quote: Originally posted by sugoisama
Do you guys think this would cause tension between them? Or do you think they'd accept that they had "a rough patch" and continue on as if nothing had happened and raise the baby together? (Also if this makes any difference they're quite close to aging up.)

I think they should raise the baby together - Mary Sue would not look good in the public eye if she gave up a baby for adoption, if the paperwork ever got out. We know she’s all about appearances. But the issue of the baby’s parentage and the affair...that would also look bad.
Perhaps she and Daniel could pretend that she went through IVF or some other form of fertility treatment to have the baby, and hide the true parentage to the public? This would work considering their ages, are Lilith and Angela moved out? They could act like Mary Sue was suffering from empty nest syndrome.
Daniel could harbour some secret resentment towards Mary Sue for years until he reaches a breaking point.

You can call me Diddy (or Eve, if you want to go by my real name) :)
My Simblr is simping-simmer. Come and join me there for a chat!
You can also find me on the MTS or PBK Discord servers under the name 'Evenfall'.
Want to know the latest news in Carregffynon? Click here!
Lab Assistant
#887 Old 21st Mar 2020 at 8:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sugoisama

Perhaps it is because of the baby both of them finally lay their conflicts aside? Maybe the twins toddler and childhood was a bright time for the family? Before it was important to keep up a facade of happiness, it would be nice to think that it was real happiness.
Mad Poster
#888 Old 22nd Mar 2020 at 3:27 PM
I would have that marriage either break up or have her exit her career if it's forcing her to worry too much about keeping up a facade of happiness when their family is falling apart at the seems.I'd have them quit their jobs and look at other ways of earning money that don't require keeping up the appearences and work on building their relationships as a family.
They can either break up the marriage and go their seperate ways knowing that they tried and their marriage just fell apart as they grew apart or they could break up with high pressure careers that require keeping up appearences and look for ways to make a living that are lower pressure that way.and try to rebuild their family relationships.
Mad Poster
#889 Old 1st May 2020 at 10:02 PM
I'm playing in Emerald Heights in a megahood, with all the EA neighborhoods and all of Peni's neighborhoods. It's big.

Pearl Davenport, Romance/Popularity is a single mom with one living ex (FitzWilliam, who lives Downtown and works at Club Dante as a waiter, and whom she is not on good terms with), and three dead husbands. One kid by FitzWilliam: Soda Pop, teen boy, family/knowledge, has a steady girlfriend in Emerald Heights. Kid #2, Taffy, child girl, father is dead. Kid #3, toddler boy, Bubblegum, father is dead. Kids # 4 and #5, toddler twins, boy and girl, Red Hot and Lemon Drop, father is dead and haunting their house. And the house.

The house is an albatross. The family is short on neat points (except the twins, poor kids) and it's both too big and too small, on two levels, with too much clutter and not enough space. On the one hand, Pearl owns it. On the other hand, pathing is terrible, they keep getting stuck behind each other, and it's worth about $40,000 and has made it very hard to pay bills and nanny on Pearl and Soda Pop's incomes. She's in the slacker career, he's in law enforcement. They could move anywhere. But Emerald Heights is familiar territory. It would disrupt the kids' lives to move somewhere else. Emerald Heights also has all the bad memories, deaths, especially the three deaths. And there's a certain feel that the stuff is there because it feels safe to have the clutter everywhere--whoever built this house and family knows something about how hoarding feels to hoarders.

Pearl hasn't had much time to date, not with five kids, and her only current boyfriend is Sebastian Rafferty, who lives in Emerald Heights, but they're both romance sims and there's no motivation there to stay local to her hookup, and there are other hookups in other towns.

Everyone's aspiration is up, out of the red, and into gold or platinum most of the time, except the twins who just barely aged up and have only gotten the first be tickled/snuggled boosts, so the family has recovered to an extent.

The sane thing, as a player, is to either clear out all their stuff and remodel their house, or to move them to a different house or apartment. But I'm trying to figure out what Pearl would do, and that's where I'm stuck. Would she keep her kids in Emerald Heights or take them somewhere else? Would she remodel their house or move? Or would she hunker down in a place that's miserable but safely familiar?

And then there's the question of where they'd move to, if they left Emerald Heights, but other than knowing that Strangetown and Downtown are out, I don't know the answer to that either.

#890 Old 1st May 2020 at 10:22 PM
I don't know much about Pearl. Is the reason she has so many exes because they died or because she's noncommittal? How is she as a mother?

So from what I do know about Pearl... I would have her move. Pack up everything - because she is so frustrated with life and just wants and maybe even needs a fresh start. Move her into an area where she's not known well. An area that either has a lot of community lots or a lot of neighbors she can meet. Maybe she could even start dating one of them. She could change her life. And she could lie about her past to whoever she's with. Don't tell them about the 5 kids thing or dead ex husbands thing.

Teens can live on their own too, ya know. If you're worried about the kids not having consistency and are willing to do this the teen son could stay behind either alone or with the child aged children. Pearl could take the toddlers and find someone that wouldn't mind fathering two young children. She could take all of the kids too.

If I were you, I would move Pearl into a cheap apartment lot so she can meet people easily. She could also ask neighbors to watch her kids for her. I would have her go out and date people and try to find someone with some money to help out. Once they get serious they could get married. I also love a challenge- so I would probably have her run off with just the toddlers. And maybe she'd feel bad- she could send money back to her other children. Once she's married they could move to an actual house and her other children (that her husband didn't know about) would be invited to move back in. Or they would despise her for leaving and not bother to move back. It sounds like you have a lot of options- and exciting ones too!
Mad Poster
#891 Old 1st May 2020 at 10:48 PM
BeckyBoo8, Pearl's first ex-husband is gay. I suspect they married because young, dumb, pregnant, and the done thing. The others all died, and the bios hint that maybe ex number one is jealous or crazy or both and murdered them (he works for Olive Specter at Crypt O Night, which I haven't decided what I make of that yet, but it's probably something). She's a pretty good mom, has good conversations with her kids, does the toddler training, doesn't really roll wants for them but she's got so many playful points she's always tickling or playing red hands or whatever with them, doesn't turn down requests to help with homework or be read to. She rolled the slacker career want and LTW, and that career has a lot of night shifts, so she's home when her kids are up during the day to spend time with them.

Mad Poster
#892 Old 1st May 2020 at 11:01 PM
You've identified her as a hoarder, and I think the question to ask yourself is: What does it take for a hoarder to leave their hoarded nest?
Are there things about the setup of the house that Soda Pop could mitigate - shifting clutter to improve routing or something? Has she made any friends who could be support during a time of transition?

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#893 Old 3rd May 2020 at 2:11 AM Last edited by Sunbee : 3rd May 2020 at 8:12 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
You've identified her as a hoarder, and I think the question to ask yourself is: What does it take for a hoarder to leave their hoarded nest?
Are there things about the setup of the house that Soda Pop could mitigate - shifting clutter to improve routing or something? Has she made any friends who could be support during a time of transition?

I don't know . . . starting a new nest in the new location? I'm the kid of a Great Depression Child. From personal experience, not: he's lived in five houses in my lifetime, and each one has become a horde. It's really hard for the kid to break out of it, even leaving home, not because I want that life, but because I don't see clutter. (Pro tip, if this is you: take your cell phone, take a picture. I can see stuff in the picture that I can't see when I'm standing there. There's stuff on my floor! Where's the trash bags? Oh, it is the trash bags! Put it away!)

Edit: I picked up my copy of Regina Leeds' One Year to an Organized Life this morning, because while I'm not particularly good at organizing, I kinda work on it year after year. May . . . May . . . Bonus spaces, and lo and behold the second subheader is about hoarding. Oh! Pearl needs therapy! Of course, why did I not think about therapy! Who do I have . . . um, well, Circe Beaker is a psychologist. Okay, then. Circe's life is going to get a bit more interesting.

Thanks, Peni.

Forum Resident
#894 Old 15th May 2020 at 12:32 PM
Dear Auntie Di Lemma,
I got a new family that's just transferred from the old world of CAS, eager to settle down in the desert town named Snake's Cayon and raise themselves some horses. They are goodly modest nice folk, husband wants to get ahead and some cattle, and mum want's a little girl or 4.. Anyhow they got themselves two redheaded twin boys. Nathan (Family Sim:- "He Gave") and Ethan (Romance Sim - "firm, enduring, strong and long-lived") Everyone in the family has biblical names, cause that's whats proper and what they are used to,

Unknown to them, at the moment their life is at a crossroads and choices have to be made.
1. Do mum and dad die, at the young age of 33 adult years left on the calendar? This would leave the young teens alone to manage the horse ranch alone at 15 teenage years left.
2. Do mum and dad live hang around a long time, watching the boys grow to adulthood? They are awfully young and 33 years is a long time, plus the elder years to come.
3. Does mum die young
4. Does dad die by young

Should I just throw a dice every morning to see who will survive? How do I get these boys story started. Thank You.
Alchemist
#895 Old 15th May 2020 at 12:58 PM
Well, if we're voting, I gotta vote for #1. It'll lead to a good story--especially if the twins don't agree on how their life should go--and provide challenging gameplay, most likely for a while. But 3 & 4 are good, too; there can always be drama with a step-parent after the surviving parent remarries, perhaps with inheritance at stake. It's hard for me to vote for 2 without knowing the state of the rest of the hood and the other families around--it's nice to have a variety of stories.

If you do roll dice, though, I think every morning is excessive. You want to give sims a chance to die and make things more challenging for them, but you also want to give them a chance to make it, too. Unless the chance of death is very low, rolling everyday seems like setting them up for failure, but ymmv. What I did in my test bacc hood was roll for a Completely Random and Mysterious Death (CRMD) for every life stage, child and up. First I rolled for 4 sets of 10 numbers (though I think later I extended it to 20) and these sets of numbers became the "lucky" numbers for each stage. YAs got a pass and didn't roll for a CRMD #. Also, any townie moving in got a pass for their current life stage; they'd start their rolls at the next stage. Anyway, I picked numbers in advance so that I couldn't change my mind later or be lenient with a sim that I started to like a little. No, my numbers are set in stone and are written down. Then I roll 1-100 four times for each sim--I like to do it in advance so that I have an opportunity to set up a story around the death, if I want, but I could do it later and let it be a surprise, too. If a sim hits any of the "lucky" numbers, then that's it, they're supposed to die during that life stage. Usually I would have them die of plague and do the disease death for them, but if I'm feeling up to it, I might construct an elaborate story or a fire around the death. That didn't happen too often in my bacc hood, as their wasn't enough time for story yet, but the option was there.

Lab Assistant
#896 Old 15th May 2020 at 5:42 PM
If I make adults with teen children in CAS, they soon find that they are close to a birthday. Would at least give them a chance for a girl, so I would go for a version of the second option.
Mad Poster
#897 Old 15th May 2020 at 8:06 PM
I get the feeling you're looking for some drama here, not just a happy family.

Mom could die in childbirth, leaving boys and Dad with a baby to raise. Dad could die after that, if that was too easy.

Are there any teen girls around? You could bring drama into their lives with an inappropriate girlfriend or three, or both boys falling for the same girl. What if Dad falls for another woman? What if one of the boys knocks up one of the neighborhood girls? Would the parents take the baby in and pretend it was theirs? Would they make the boy marry the mother?

I'd move the parents up to the middle of the adult age, unless they're supposed to have had their teens as teens themselves.

I don't generally just kill off parents. If it happens, it happens because of a dice roll in a challenge or random in-game events. So my suggestions are definitely influenced by that.

What else is happening in the neighborhood? Cattle rustlers? Bandits? Are you modern era or historical here?

Forum Resident
#898 Old 15th May 2020 at 8:48 PM
You guys are so great, these are just the kind of answers I wanted, cause I really am stuck and can't start.
I already got the main town and several subhoods going on, and them sims lives are nice and organised. But Ethan and Nathan, are gonna be the centre of my dystopian sub-hood. The hood is desert terrain, and they and their family are gonna start up a horse ranch and a dynasty. Eventually, all the other neighbours will move in, the witches, aliens, army, crime lords and every other creature or sim that I always banish. I was gonna start quick, make them orphans (via sim manipulator) and start from there. But since your suggestions all suggest slow death for the parents, it'll be fitting and the boys will feel it more as they'll develop stronger feelings. Lots of ideas from snake bite, childbirth, shoot-out to alien abduction. Bandits, maybe I get girl twins to open up a cow ranch.

Thank you. (and do you know how I get adult alien's to move in?)
Theorist
#899 Old 16th May 2020 at 1:24 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Diovanlestat
Thank you. (and do you know how I get adult alien's to move in?)

If you want Adult aliens you gotta create them. Either use the Debug mode in CAS to unlock the Alien skin and Eyes or download a mod that unlocks them :-)

Taking an extended break from Sims stuff. Might be around, might not.
Forum Resident
#900 Old 16th May 2020 at 2:16 AM
@Orphalesion... Okie Dokie, Debug Alien's or Unlock them, can do. Thank you very much.
Page 36 of 48