Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Dec 2013 at 9:20 PM
Default Need feedback on Sim hair recolour.
Hello, I'm working on a recolor of a Sim's hair (link). I mainly wanted to touch up, and make it look a bit fresher. I need feedback, please .

Screens:
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 8th Dec 2013 at 9:29 PM
Maybe you can add texture to the hair. the hair still looks flat and tbh doesn't look any different from the original.

(◐ω◑)
What kind of Sim loves like this?
(◐ω◑)
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#3 Old 8th Dec 2013 at 10:21 PM
I think part of the problem is the colour you're using. It's almost totally black - and pure black can't have proper texture with visible strands of hair, it just all ends up looking black.

Since there isn't a good texture on that hair to use as a base, you might want to try using someone else's textures - it's a great option when you're learning. Some of the most popular free-to-use textures are pooklet's or Simgaroop's. You can use those to make a nice, pretty base texture in black, and then add purple highlights wherever you want them. There's also a purple texture in Pooklet's file, if you want to take the even easier way out .

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 8th Dec 2013 at 10:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Nysha
I think part of the problem is the colour you're using. It's almost totally black - and pure black can't have proper texture with visible strands of hair, it just all ends up looking black.

Since there isn't a good texture on that hair to use as a base, you might want to try using someone else's textures - it's a great option when you're learning. Some of the most popular free-to-use textures are pooklet's or Simgaroop's. You can use those to make a nice, pretty base texture in black, and then add purple highlights wherever you want them. There's also a purple texture in Pooklet's file, if you want to take the even easier way out .
Ya I can see what you mean. I really like what BeautifulAddiction had going before, but the hair just kind of looks kind of odd.

I think the black that you linked to will work well as a base:

Not sure how well it'll work with the bangs though. The way BeautifulAddiction had it setup so it was a separate piece.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#5 Old 8th Dec 2013 at 11:01 PM
Hum, now I look, I think the fringe is makeup? You should be able to use the textures on makeup too.

Instructor
#6 Old 9th Dec 2013 at 12:21 AM
Well the blush part looks kinda meh, Maybe there is a version of that base hair with a fringe that can be retextured?

(◐ω◑)
What kind of Sim loves like this?
(◐ω◑)
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#7 Old 9th Dec 2013 at 12:50 AM
You could also consider recolouring something like Trapping's accessory bangs - there's a link a couple of posts up to the hair she chopped them off of, to make up for the lack of preview pics.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 9th Dec 2013 at 1:29 AM
Hum, now I look, I think the fringe is makeup? You should be able to use the textures on makeup too.
Um, I'm not entirely sure I follow.
Quote: Originally posted by levini
Well the blush part looks kinda meh, Maybe there is a version of that base hair with a fringe that can be retextured?
I did find this, but I need to find out where I can find a live copy for it (http://modthesims.info/showthread.p...109#post4293109). Aside from the hair being a wee bit too long, I really dig it.
You could also consider recolouring something like Trapping's accessory bangs - there's a link a couple of posts up to the hair she chopped them off of, to make up for the lack of preview pics.
I'll have to download them, and take a look. The images are replaced with the "popular placeholder", she/he should swap to imgur/minus.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#9 Old 11th Dec 2013 at 1:54 PM
Peggy's site is "working" again for now, so you should be able to download it from there. Try Firefox if your browser doesn't like it, and you'll have to scroll down and then back up for the page to load. You can shorten the hair by blacking out parts of the alpha.