Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
#26 Old 11th Jan 2005 at 3:12 PM
Ok, I did that and it still is not there.....mmmmm...now what? Any suggestions?
Screenshots
Advertisement
Test Subject
#27 Old 11th Jan 2005 at 3:45 PM
Default Found "Export to Obj"
I found the "export to obj" but it is in the wrong place, how do I correct this?
Screenshots
Alchemist
#28 Old 12th Jan 2005 at 12:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Ladybydesign8
I found the "export to obj" but it is in the wrong place, how do I correct this?

Somehow, you have Delphy's original plugin installed, not the latest one. Go to the original message in the thread in beta test about the plugin and download the new one, put it in the plugins directory in place of the one that's there.
The new one works mo' betta.
<* Wes *>

If you like to say what you think, be sure you know which to do first.
Test Subject
#29 Old 12th Jan 2005 at 2:13 PM
Wes, I went back and did that and as you stated it worked and I opened up MilkShape3D and was able to view the file, it was the coolest thing. I havent tried it yet with other 3D programs yet, but hope to do that some time today.

Have another question. Am I right by what I am reading that we now can change the item and save it back into Sims2? I am still having a problem with getting through to the site to register for the GUID, is anyone else having this problem?
Test Subject
#30 Old 12th Jan 2005 at 2:26 PM
Hey Wes, I for one would love to see what you could write up "changing the mesh" in MilkShape! I feel you would make a very good teacher.
Lab Assistant
#31 Old 12th Jan 2005 at 5:56 PM Last edited by petallotus : 13th Jan 2005 at 4:47 AM.
I'm hoping someone can help me. I have followed the tutorial. But after that I am lost. I get two files the object file and the SimPE file. I'm using milkshape w/wes's plugin but when I load the file there's nothing there. Can anyone help? I would really appreciate it.Thanks
Alchemist
#32 Old 13th Jan 2005 at 8:31 AM
Quote: Originally posted by petallotus
I'm hoping someone can help me. I have followed the tutorial. But after that I am lost. I get two files the object file and the SimPE file. I'm using milkshape w/wes's plugin but when I load the file there's nothing there. Can anyone help? I would really appreciate it.Thanks

Well, your question is hard to follow... probably like my tutorial.
O.K. - The .OBJ file I presume is from Delphy's plugin. Does it load into MilkShape (you IMPORT it, not load it)?
Next, when you load it, can you see the object (chair or whatever)?
It sounds like you get a .simpe file out of the plug-in. That's what it is supposed to do.
Now here's the tough part. Before you even try to put a new mesh in, you need to make the object work. That means a new GUID, hashed filenames, and tested in the game. The vast majority of my problems in making the first remeshed objects was getting a working clone.
After the clone works, you load the package file, select the GMDC in the top list box. Write down the filename (inside one) and the model names (from items3 in plugin view). Then right-click on the gmdc in the list box, then pick replace. You then select your new mesh, that's the .simpe file, from the file requester that pops up.
After bringing your new mesh into the game, make sure the names match the ones you wrote down.
Then save it and test in the game.
<* Wes *>

Lab Assistant
#33 Old 14th Jan 2005 at 12:41 AM
Default GMDC File Not Available From FileType List
Hi All,

I've cloned and saved several objects successfully, but when I get to:

"5) Next browse down the "Filetypes" list to "Geometric Data Container" and select the GMDC file in the "Packed Files" list"...

...that file type just doesn't exist in my list! All I can find is the Geometric Node file type. (see attached jpg).
I indeed do have the plugin installed, and in the recommended position (also see attached.) Any suggestions? :confused:
Thanks.
Screenshots
Lab Assistant
#34 Old 14th Jan 2005 at 12:42 AM Last edited by petallotus : 14th Jan 2005 at 2:55 AM.
Thanks Wes, I try this and see how it goes. I tried it Wes and it worked. Thanks so much for your help.
Alchemist
#35 Old 14th Jan 2005 at 3:05 AM
Quote: Originally posted by rosiedogsim

...that file type just doesn't exist in my list! All I can find is the Geometric Node file type. (see attached jpg).
Thanks.

I don't think versions of SimPE prior to 14 included the GMDC in the output from Object Workshop.
The two solutions are to get a newer copy of SimPe, or look for the GMDC in the game core files... likely candidate locations would be Sims3D\Objects03.package and Sims3D\Sims03.package.
Prior to Object Workshop, you had to hunt all the components down yourself. The way to do it is select the name map (NMAP) and look in plugin view for the name that matches. Locate the instance ID, and put it in the instance filter in the upper right corner.
Then select the geometric node type (on the left side) and the one that matches your instance in the filter (which you can cut & paste) will be the only one dispalyed at top center. Right-click and select "export".
When you load up your project file, right click on the last line in the center top and select "add", then browse for what you just exported and select it to bring it into the game.
Let me add, for everyone's edification, that without hashing the filenames in your object, as described in pinhead's tutorial on recoloring, you will likely overwrite the game data with your new colors and shapes. When I say overwrite, I mean the game will use your stuff in place of the originals until you remove the file you made from downloads.
<* Wes *>

Lab Assistant
#36 Old 14th Jan 2005 at 12:37 PM
Thanks for the quick reply Wes. Hmmmm...my version of SimPE says 0.14.1826.28904 on the top bar when started. So I'm assuming that I have at least version 14? Maybe there's been an update since then, (I downloaded it about 2 weeks ago.) I'll try deinstall/reinstall first anyway.

If that doesn't work, I'll give your procedure a go, though I guess I'd rather have SimPE working "right", since that seems so much more direct (and easier!)
Probably won't have much of chance to do it until tonight, but I'll let you know. Thanks again though, your help is greatly appreciated (as is all the excellent people on this board!)
Lab Assistant
#37 Old 14th Jan 2005 at 10:29 PM
That did it Wes! Thanks for the tip!

I guess even though I was in the version 14 vicinity, I was a few bits off. (Actually, the version I had was the one with the self-installing .exe that created SimPE file associations. The one I have now, even though it's more recent, when back to just extracting all the files to a directory.) Anyhoo, on to playing with a mesh (I hope!) Thanks again for the help!
RDS
#38 Old 15th Jan 2005 at 9:22 AM Last edited by tolkov : 15th Jan 2005 at 10:27 AM.
I have this problem: When I impoted OBJ file to 3D max 6 I used plugin "Wavefront Obj and Mtl Import Plugin Designed (X) 1996-2003 by hab." There are any errors when importing he file, a dialog with statistics is displayed. Value identical points in face is 500-1500 (the number of faces, with identical 3D vertex data is counted in this field. 3DSMax cannot handle those faces, so they are stripped.). And I don't see imported mesh.
In MilkShape I imported OBJ file without problem.
This way is incorrect for 3D MAX?
Help my please!
Lab Assistant
#39 Old 17th Jan 2005 at 8:22 PM
tolkov,

I had a simular problem with Maya. It doesn't like certain meshes. I would say try another one or 2.

Also, It might work to resave in Milkshape.
Test Subject
#40 Old 19th Jan 2005 at 12:55 AM
Quote: Originally posted by tolkov
I have this problem: When I impoted OBJ file to 3D max 6 I used plugin "Wavefront Obj and Mtl Import Plugin Designed (X) 1996-2003 by hab." [....] This way is incorrect for 3D MAX?
Help my please!

I also use Max and have been importing into MilkShape, then exporting to a 3ds file from there and then opening it in Max. Extra step and MilkShape isn't free, but it works. I haven't been able to use the OBJ importer in Max either.
Test Subject
#41 Old 23rd Jan 2005 at 5:36 AM Last edited by PheelMePhlow : 23rd Jan 2005 at 6:12 AM. Reason: found what i needed
Help!
I tried to import the .obj file into Anim8tor, but that didn't work. It worked for Milkshape, but I don't own it. Is there another 3-d program that I could use?
Lab Assistant
#42 Old 23rd Jan 2005 at 2:04 PM
Im missing my "Export OBJ" bit like Ladybydesign8 was, but i dont have the "whatever wrap" thing in my install new plug-in. how do i get this plug-in?
Test Subject
#43 Old 24th Jan 2005 at 9:23 AM
after i edited the mesh how do i import it to the game?
Test Subject
#44 Old 29th Jan 2005 at 4:23 PM
i have more than one GDC do i need to extract all
#45 Old 3rd Feb 2005 at 8:43 AM
Default Hair Mesh
How do you safely clone and extract a hair mesh? the object workshop is not the tool for this is it? I can browse to where the geometric data container for the hair is but I don't know where to go from there. If I right click there are options to clone and export? Any help would be appreciated, all the tips seem to relate to objects. Thanks, Holly
Lab Assistant
#46 Old 4th Feb 2005 at 4:56 AM
Just wanted to let everyone know ,unless only a few of us are having problems, I also could not get the Geometric Data Container file either. I tried Simpe14...something.exe, SimpeH and neither of them worked with the Geometric Data Container. Both were executables that installed the program. I downloaded Simpe14d from this site that does not install and it works fine. The latest one at SimPE website did not work for me. Just wanted to let everyone know in case they were having problems.
Test Subject
#47 Old 4th Feb 2005 at 6:10 AM
I don't know if this is the right place to post this or not. If not, please direct me. I am really new to Sims and want to learn how to do recolors, etc, but feel I'm a hopeless case. I've been trying to read through some of the tutorials and it's all greek to me. Is there a way I can learn that words it in layman's terms? I really want to learn and give back to this community that does so much for so many of us.
Thank you to whoever replies.
The ModFather
retired moderator
#48 Old 4th Feb 2005 at 9:21 AM
Have you read this tutorial for recolouring objects? I think it's very simple and easy to follow, you don't have to get special knowledge to follow it, just a little patience (very little)

http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=34399
Lab Assistant
#49 Old 5th Feb 2005 at 11:49 PM
I would like to clone an user made object (new mesh), but I cannot find it in workshop. The object is under my download folder. Is there any way other than workshop to clone an object? Sorry if the question sound stupid. I'm quite new to SimPE
Lab Assistant
#50 Old 5th Feb 2005 at 11:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by taoyingying
I would like to clone an user made object (new mesh), but I cannot find it in workshop. The object is under my download folder. Is there any way other than workshop to clone an object? Sorry if the question sound stupid. I'm quite new to SimPE

You still use object workshop and clone it, but pick the "load object" tab instead of the "ingame objects" tab at the beginning.
Page 2 of 4