Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Gothic Victorian Name Replacement Mod for The Sims 3

by Miss Discordia Posted 22nd Jul 2012 at 3:16 PM - Updated 19th Jan 2020 at 11:10 AM by Miss Discordia : Editing post to make it fully appropriate

90 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 47 Feedback Posts, 42 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 1 of 4
Scholar
THANKS POST
#2 Old 22nd Jul 2012 at 5:06 PM
I haven't ever used a name replacement (and really haven't ever wanted to, honestly) but this has me intrigued. I might try all the different flavours(?) to see which one I like best.
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#3 Old 22nd Jul 2012 at 5:32 PM
I've also never used a name replacement, but this one actually has me deciding I want to. I'm assuming it's going to affect the names of the townies in France,China and Egypt as well? Sorry if that's a stupid question!!
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 22nd Jul 2012 at 5:54 PM Last edited by Randee15 : 22nd Jul 2012 at 5:55 PM. Reason: forgot a word
How do we implement this with Awesomemod? Or, what do we put in the MaleNameGeneratorKey, FemaleNameGeneratorKey, and LastNameGeneratorKey fields in Awesome's config?
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#5 Old 22nd Jul 2012 at 6:18 PM
Thank you so much for this! I hate the names that EA always gives in the name generator thing in CAS, so this is definitely a breath of fresh air.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 22nd Jul 2012 at 6:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Randee15
How do we implement this with Awesomemod? Or, what do we put in the MaleNameGeneratorKey, FemaleNameGeneratorKey, and LastNameGeneratorKey fields in Awesome's config?

There's no need to put it in AwesomeMod's config file, just put the .package to your Mods/Packages folder

Quote: Originally posted by Eliza Blaine
I've also never used a name replacement, but this one actually has me deciding I want to. I'm assuming it's going to affect the names of the townies in France,China and Egypt as well? Sorry if that's a stupid question!!

It shouldn't change them.
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 22nd Jul 2012 at 7:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Miss Discordia
There's no need to put it in AwesomeMod's config file, just put the .package to your Mods/Packages folder

It shouldn't change them.

Okay, thanks!
Test Subject
#8 Old 22nd Jul 2012 at 8:06 PM
Classy = non-ethnic sounding?

Am I missing something there?
Test Subject
#9 Old 22nd Jul 2012 at 8:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by the_dissident
Classy = non-ethnic sounding?

Am I missing something there?

I was coming to comment the exact same thing. Apparently 'Yumi' is not a classy name, and neither is 'Sekemoto'. Who knew.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 22nd Jul 2012 at 8:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by emadee
I was coming to comment the exact same thing. Apparently 'Yumi' is not a classy name, and neither is 'Sekemoto'. Who knew.

Oh my, people, I didn't meant that ethnic names are non-classy... I confess, I made this mod thinking mostly about english-speaking players (though I'm not english nor really english-speaking myself, so you can't accuse me of anything).
If you read the description carefully, you'll see that some ethnic names are included here. I just wanted this mod to use classic names from - okay, you can burn me now - mostly Europe. And I chose the word "classy" because I thought it will make a nice word play...

And, if you don't like the idea of that maybe-a-bit-too-European mod, you can just not download it...
Mad Poster
THANKS POST
#11 Old 22nd Jul 2012 at 9:10 PM
I really hope that there are some Shakespearean names here. Miss Discordia, maybe you could rename this Literature Names or some variation of it? Classy does seem a bit closed off, I know of many languages with different variations of classy names.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#12 Old 22nd Jul 2012 at 9:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by DigitalSympathies
I really hope that there are some Shakespearean names here. Miss Discordia, maybe you could rename this Literature Names or some variation of it? Classy does seem a bit closed off, I know of many languages with different variations of classy names.

Ok, I think I'll change it to just "classic" names
And yes, it includes plenty of Shakespearean names.
Eminence Grise
#13 Old 22nd Jul 2012 at 9:30 PM
"Classic" won't get you out of the problem... there's more than one civilization that has a classical period and a classical literature There's Classical Chinese and Classical Arabic, for instance.

Let me make clear that I think this is a fine mod... great for people who want their Sims game to resemble certain genres of English literature.

But ALL names have meanings of various kinds... including social meanings... in that people make assumptions about the kinds of people who have those names. And one kind of social meaning has to do with ethnicity and/or ancestry. Which is why when you express attitudes about the names NOT on your list, it will be interpreted as attitudes about the people who have those kinds of names... which will certainly include some of the people looking at your mod at MTS, since the Sims community includes all KINDS of people. Some of your readers certainly have the very names you characterize as "questionable"

Not saying you need to change it, just that you shouldn't be surprised if you get some lively discussion, heh.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#14 Old 22nd Jul 2012 at 9:39 PM
Well, I guess I just need to edit some parts of the description.
I really have nothing against people with those names, or against the names themself

Still I don't know what name would be appropriate for a mod like this... Any ideas?
The other one
THANKS POST
#15 Old 22nd Jul 2012 at 10:06 PM
I love the idea of this! I've never even thought about a name changing mod before but like you, EA's naming system bugs me. I guess it's the effect of being made in America where there's such a huge variety of first and last names from all sorts of cultures and they need to include everyone but I rarely bump into a sim that has a name I've ever known anybody in real life to have (more so surnames) Your list of names seems more familiar and realistic to me as a Brit.

Needless to say, I'm downloading!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#16 Old 22nd Jul 2012 at 10:26 PM
Thank you. This will make a nice change!
Test Subject
#17 Old 22nd Jul 2012 at 11:14 PM
Classic
Srikandi "Classic" won't get you out of the problem...

Get her out of which problem? Playing the Devil's advocate, this isn't Miss Discordia's problem. It seems to me it's the_dissident's problem, having been the one who complained about it. If I may offer a suggestion; those opposed might want to *not* download it and continue to name their Sims whatever they please. That might work.

And to Miss Discordia: I love the mod. I am currently using a mod that changes all surnames into Polish names (my late dad was Polish) so needless to say the mod was neat-o for me. Now your mod extends our choices by offering another alternative for those of us who like to swap mods in and out of game according to our own tastes. Thank you for sharing.
Top Secret Researcher
THANKS POST
#18 Old 23rd Jul 2012 at 4:38 AM
Love it! I always hated the EA names, most of the time they are so retarded that I feel sad for the poor randomly generated townies.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#19 Old 23rd Jul 2012 at 5:41 AM
Thank you for your statement, Srikandi. Indeed reading the description of the mod is, what I would consider, quite off-putting. That is not to say that there is something inherently wrong with the mod. Frankly, however, my initial impression after reading the creator's description was that there was an underlying tone of xenophobia. I do hope that the description will change and that a better name can be found for the mod.

-Armana D.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#20 Old 23rd Jul 2012 at 7:23 AM
Quote: Originally posted by diem5
Thank you for your statement, Srikandi. Indeed reading the description of the mod is, what I would consider, quite off-putting. That is not to say that there is something inherently wrong with the mod. Frankly, however, my initial impression after reading the creator's description was that there was an underlying tone of xenophobia. I do hope that the description will change and that a better name can be found for the mod.

-Armana D.

Oh, really, no xenophobia intended, I'm actually really interested in foreign culture and foreigners - I just made this mod thinking mostly about english players, because I was sure that they're the biggest group here
Now I'm working on a mod that changes all names to japanese - because I see a big interest in Japan in The Sims community.

And, what a coincidence, as I remember your name (if Armana is your real name) is included in this mod too! :D
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#21 Old 23rd Jul 2012 at 7:38 AM
I personally love this mod, and am for sure not xenophobic. It has classic European names and that's what I was looking for. If you don't like it, don't download it. Thank you Miss Discordia!
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#22 Old 23rd Jul 2012 at 9:54 AM
I was looking into doing this myself. You saved me the trouble. So thanks!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#23 Old 23rd Jul 2012 at 10:58 AM
People are too touchy. I'm sure you didn't mean any harm with this mod, Miss Discordia! That being said, this mod is really interesting. I'm from Norway and my game is in Norwegian, wich means that every sim is created with awful names. I think I'll try this out. Thanks for making it!
Test Subject
#24 Old 23rd Jul 2012 at 11:37 AM Last edited by Uberdubie : 23rd Jul 2012 at 12:37 PM.
I'm not surprised (just saddened) to see people overreacting about the "classy/classic" bit. Miss Discordia did nothing incorrectly or distastefully. In fact, she comes across more kind-hearted, more wise, and more worldly than any of those chastising her. We'd have far less grief in the world if we all stopped being so sensitive toward such triviality.

However, Diem5 crossed the line. There was no need to attempt to insult a mod's creator (implicating they suffer from mental illness) just because the subject matter and/or reasoning wasn't suited to your "refined tastes". Consider it off-putting? Then simply don't download, and keep the judgmental, ignorant thoughts on the mod's creator to yourself next time.

All the goofy drama aside, I've always thought the default names needed a ton of work myself. The first and last names rarely fit whatsoever and sounded so silly; I'm just glad I wasn't the only one who was bothered by it!

Thank you so much for the brilliant, highly-useful mod!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#25 Old 23rd Jul 2012 at 12:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Uberdubie
All the goofy drama aside, I've always thought the default names needed a ton of work myself. The first and last names rarely fit whatsoever and sounded so silly; I'm just glad I wasn't the only one who was bothered by it!

Thank you so much for the brilliant, highly-useful mod!

Thanks for those kind words
I guess that was also my not very good knowledge of english that lead me into trouble - I still have problems with defining what do I mean when I write a sentence
One more thing I meant by making a "classy" (sorry everyone if that's wrong too) mod was to have names and last names better combined.
It's all because of Yumi McDonald, I just thought that's quite funny combination (but still nice)
Page 1 of 4