Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Scholar
#151 Old 1st Jul 2006 at 12:11 PM
tiggerypum, thank you so much for your easy-to-follow-tutorial, I did exactly everything you said, I got up to the Editing Your Mesh part after checking my result in bodyshop to see if the imported outfit still shows up to my newly created Mesh file, it did and I continued and followed the rest of your tutorial, however I did not quite know where I went wrong.

Did I miss anything, obviously here the results tell it all, why did it end up looking like this?

PS I was using the latest version of MilkShape 3D, and also used the exacty same dress mesh that was in the turtorial.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#152 Old 2nd Jul 2006 at 5:13 AM
I've been searching forever and I swear there is no export button in the plugin view! I'd take a screen shot but my printscreen button isn't working. I know a few people have already commented about this but I was wondering if you figured out why?

Now when I try to open SimPE it says "application has generated an exception that could not be handled. Process id=0xf24 blah blah blah etc" GAHHHH *shoot self*

...being somebody doesn't make you anybody anyway.
Scholar
#153 Old 2nd Jul 2006 at 7:28 AM Last edited by Citysim : 2nd Jul 2006 at 7:59 AM.
I can modify meshes now!

A dunno why my first try exploded, must of not understood the 3D program probably and selected and moved something without relieasing it.

I can say meshing is not "DIFFICULT" at all as what tiggerypum says in the first post, as soon as you get comfortable with Milkshape 3D, I didn't expect to learn all this in one day, but I have, I had modified some other maxis meshes to more of an extend than this simple screenshot modification.

24 hours I was scared to even touch Milkshape. Milkshape is just like a paint program (except you "paint" with vertices by moving them around) and if you consider yourself good with Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro then you be good with this

Anyone can do this! Its very important to get fimilar with the 3D problem your are using, the rest its just extracting, importing, and extracting mostly with SimPe, and after about 3 trys you don't even need this turtorial anymore.

And ZOIVII3IE just have another go, it gets easiier everytime, I had no more meshes exploding anymore.

Thank you so much tiggerypum I would of never of learnt this without your turtorial, all the other turtorials I could never understand.
Test Subject
#154 Old 3rd Jul 2006 at 12:22 AM
ok so here is my screenshot of simpe. I am in plugin view but i just cant seem to see the export button anywhere.
Screenshots
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
Original Poster
#155 Old 3rd Jul 2006 at 6:24 AM Last edited by tiggerypum : 3rd Jul 2006 at 6:00 PM.
Blueeyesangel - the first thing I'm noticing is that the names aren't displaying the same - my SimPE shows the names next to 'geometric data container' up in the top right window. Can you please make sure you have the newest version of simpe, and that you install all the associated files (there's directx and I don't remember if there's anything else) from the SimPE site.

Citysim - I'm glad you got the modification working!! We did work to make this tutorial as 'easy' as possible, but with 54 steps, meshes that explode, and there's even more if you want to go further and add new parts or such with unimesh -- we get more than our share of complaints from people. It is confusing at times, and complicated, and missing a step sometimes breaks things in interesting ways. I've found that it's better to warn people that it might take a LONG time, and that things might not work right -- than to have them maybe think this is 'easy' because there's a beginner tutorial and that they might think that they can zip through and do their first mesh in an hour with tools they're not familiar with.

So even though you don't think so - Citysim - that is a big accomplishment! Remember that with meshtool you can only _move_ vertices. Have fun with your next projects! :baloons:
Scholar
#156 Old 3rd Jul 2006 at 9:07 AM Last edited by Citysim : 3rd Jul 2006 at 9:22 AM.
Sorry I got a little carried away, but yeah, I haven't even attempted to use this UniMesh yet or even read your turtiorial yet, at the moment I'm just thrilled to be able to play around with the maxis meshes, I understand the limitations, but with this turtorial I noticed I can now easily make fat or slim sims, make dresses shorter, etc but I know I can't add new parts or anything like that yet.

I found your steps 1-34 the trickiest, and thought the hardest is yet to come, like why am I extracting out all those files for then putting back in etc, and that was even all before I fired up milkshape to even actually get started.

The 2nd time round, I started understanding what steps 1-34 meant, which is important of course than just following the turtorial even though you don't know what your doing.

The reason I probably find meshing easy is because I have used a 3D program in the past modifying other games, and surprising found Milkshape the easiest yet.

But I'm sure to have fun with my next projects, as about time I start uploading and sharing some good stuff here.
Test Subject
#157 Old 3rd Jul 2006 at 1:09 PM
Default Thank You
Thanks Tigerrypum for your help i downloaded the newest version of SimPE and the direct x package and also some framework thing which is available from the SimPE site under the heading: required to run simpe. And look i can now see an export button so i will continue the tutorial and let you know how i get on.
Screenshots
Test Subject
#158 Old 3rd Jul 2006 at 1:40 PM
I did it!!
Thanks again for this tutorial Tigerrypum. i finally edited the mesh by using your tutorial.
Screenshots
Test Subject
#159 Old 4th Jul 2006 at 4:47 AM
I can't see the pics in your tutorial. There are little red x's where the pics are supose to pop up
Test Subject
#160 Old 4th Jul 2006 at 7:42 PM
Great tutorial! It worked perfectly for me! :D
Test Subject
#161 Old 7th Jul 2006 at 7:06 PM
thank you
Test Subject
#162 Old 9th Jul 2006 at 4:53 PM
I'm having trouble with step 9 ,Simpe says he can't find microsoft directx on my computer what do I have to do ?and I can't find the folder afbodylongdresslongloose .Please need help !!!
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#163 Old 9th Jul 2006 at 9:32 PM Last edited by HystericalParoxysm : 9th Jul 2006 at 9:52 PM.
DokiePlayer, you need the Managed DirectX Extensions downloaded and installed, linked from SimPE's site under "required to run SimPE". And afbodydresslongloose is not a folder, nor even a file. Reread the part using the resource finder and make sure Body Shop is closed when you search.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Lab Assistant
#164 Old 9th Jul 2006 at 11:35 PM
I am a little confused. Do u really need SimPE..or can you do it without it? Is there another tutorial, to help me undertsand it better. I love this tutorial but my first language is french so i am getting a bit confused.

♥kelsey♥
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
Original Poster
#165 Old 9th Jul 2006 at 11:51 PM
lil-kisses there's quite a few steps that require simpe. We cannot make it any simpler, even though I do understand that english is not your first language. You need to get all the stuff as listed, and then do your best to follow step by step - and follow the screenshots to help you, many of the steps have screenshots to try and make it easier.
Lab Assistant
#166 Old 9th Jul 2006 at 11:58 PM
How much memery is used to download all these...programs?
I will try to use the screenshots.

♥kelsey♥
retired moderator
#167 Old 10th Jul 2006 at 12:13 AM
I don't know the exact file sizes, but I'd imagine the sum of them wouldn't exceed 10 mb installed - pretty small. The memory they use when running, well, that depends. SimPE can be a bit of a memory hog, but if you can run the game, you can certainly run and do all of this no problem.

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Lab Assistant
#168 Old 10th Jul 2006 at 12:17 AM
o ok thank you..cause ya see my pc is old and slow so i ahve trouble with it running well. So as long as it doesn't take up much.

♥kelsey♥
Lab Assistant
#169 Old 11th Jul 2006 at 3:49 AM
I AM stuck on step 30..i don't have the MAYA Export thing at the bottom..why is that?
i can get far but i can find the expor button nuthing shows up. i am totally stuck and it stinks.

♥kelsey♥
Test Subject
#170 Old 12th Jul 2006 at 1:01 AM
Wow! That was so helpful! Thanks a lot!
Thanks Tig!

I had never even thought about meshing before, and after reading your tutorial, I made my own mesh! Thanks SO much!! :google:

GREAT TUTORIAL!!!
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
Original Poster
#171 Old 12th Jul 2006 at 4:51 AM
lil-kisses

Some further up this same page had the same problem - they went back to the SimPE site and downloaded all the stuff that it says is required, and it worked for them.

meedle, I'm glad it worked for you!

"Undertake something that is difficult; it will do you good. Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow." - Ronald E. Osborn

Please do NOT PM me with requests, creation questions, or game help questions. Click for help:
Game Help | Create | Content List | Where Can I Find?
Test Subject
#172 Old 12th Jul 2006 at 12:35 PM
Please help!
While creating Mesh I got error mentioning Microsoft DirecеtX. What shall I do?
retired moderator
#173 Old 12th Jul 2006 at 12:38 PM
Aelin, that's already been answered several times in this thread. Look up about 10 posts.

Test Subject
#174 Old 13th Jul 2006 at 7:05 AM
What If I Add Vertices To The Mesh
????

A way To Fashion
Belanova
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
Original Poster
#175 Old 13th Jul 2006 at 8:06 AM
figueroa, why are you asking this? That question is answered in the first paragraphs of this tutorial, including a pointer to what to use if that's what you want to do.

Don't follow the directions and your mesh will explode.

"Undertake something that is difficult; it will do you good. Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow." - Ronald E. Osborn

Please do NOT PM me with requests, creation questions, or game help questions. Click for help:
Game Help | Create | Content List | Where Can I Find?
Page 7 of 21